Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

It was obnoxiously bad. Remember the prison series Inside from 1985? Full of future Fair City actors like Paddy and Charlie.
    Vaguely. It looked very low budget from what I remember, had the feel of a filmed play, but a really bad one.
    Completely shot on videotape - lots of blue in it. Very staged - not likeable characters.

Exactly as remembered. The acting in it is brutal.

I used love Picture Box as a kid. Nice creepy intro music which i love.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Tribitaka.

We're showing our age here.

Netflix has an awful (great in "oh holy sh1t this is bad" way) remake of Monkey King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

F Troop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The greatest American hero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd say not too many people remember C-P & Qwikstitch. It was one of those things that before the advent of the internet I thought I'd imagined. I could have sworn there was a version dubbed into Irish as well but this might be a false memory.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1016/652830-robots-come-to-life/

Yeh, remember that. It used to be on just before the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

This is one I need help with...

As a young pop fan in single channel land in the 70's, I have a vague memory of a pop music prog on RTE TV hosted by a young Eamonn Carr of Horslips fame.

It might have been on a Saturday evening and may have been called 'Eamonn or Aimin' High' and may have featured at one stage a video of The Glitter Band playing on the bandstand in St Stephen's Green.

Some, or none, of the above might be true. It' such a hazy memory that I am not sure if it actually happened.

Anyone..???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    The greatest American hero

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

2 shows Sky1 ran in the late 80s early 90s.

Riptide

Hunter

I was about 10 & addicted to them��

https://youtu.be/PYnATPozpcU

https://youtu.be/Cc-Ccs9WNBM

Ger Roe wrote: »
    This is one I need help with...

As a young pop fan in single channel land in the 70's, I have a vague memory of a pop music prog on RTE TV hosted by a young Eamonn Carr of Horslips fame.

It might have been on a Saturday evening and may have been called 'Eamonn or Aimin' High' and may have featured at one stage a video of The Glitter Band playing on the bandstand in St Stephen's Green.

Some, or none, of the above might be true. It' such a hazy memory that I am not sure if it actually happened.

Anyone..???

Interesting, Eamonn Carr has a background in journalism and broadcasting so you probably didn't imagine it. It doesn't ring a bell but its probably just slightly before my time if it involved the Glitter Band. Were they still going into the late 70's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I liked Dream Team on Sky 1. I had completely forgotten about it but was reminded the other day.

I googled it there and didn't realise it went on for 10 years! I only watched the first two seasons. Never got into the spin offs or copies like Footballers Wives though!

Remember Comedy Capers? It was a think ten to fifteen minutes or so of silent comedy shorts like the Keystone Cops etc. It had a song that went "Comedy Capers, Comedy Capers, a pie in the face and a merry chase on Comedy capers, comedy capers".

Think it was on RTE Saturday mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You mean the song went like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I used love Picture Box as a kid. Nice creepy intro music which i love.

Ahh man that was so creepy. A memory of this that was buried away back there has just come flooding back. This thread transcends:pac:

my3cents wrote: »
    You mean the song went like

Thats the one.

Dick Turpin starring Richard O Sullivan, a late 70's early 80's favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The Crowman , I used to love that programme !

JoMaxi , I remember winning an autographed album of the soundtrack to Buster , and tickets to see A - Ha on that show !

Gutted that I couldn't go to see them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The Box of Delights springs to mind. None of my friends remember it. They made some eerie children's progs in the 80s

Also this one. Chocky. Another seriously eerie opening tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I recently saw the first episode of "The Rookie" starring Nathan Fillion as a middle aged man who joins the police force and has to contend with the scepticism of his colleagues about his abilities. I was immediately reminded of this show from my long lost youth, about a retired officer who returns to duty and has to contend with... I remember watching it with my late grandad and my parents being horrified due to it's "violent" content, grandad's opinion being that it was no worse than Tom n Jerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,497 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

py2006 wrote: »
    The Box of Delights springs to mind. None of my friends remember it. They made some eerie children's progs in the 80s

Box of Delights bring back memories of the run-up to christmas as a child... Surprised in the Harry Potter era no one has remade it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Box of Delights bring back memories of the run-up to christmas as a child... Surprised in the Harry Potter era no one has remade it.

I just saw the first episode of Box Of Delights when it originally screened. I found the series boxset in a charity shop recently and caught up. Great series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

SOAP..

Billy Crystal in the early days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHQT3Omqtw

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Also this one. Chocky. Another seriously eerie opening tune.

I mentioned these exact two shows near the beginning of the thread! Eerie!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,497 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sweetie wrote: »
    I mentioned these exact two shows near the beginning of the thread! Eerie!

The circle is now complete... especially if I re-up Eerie Indiana!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

How many here remember the animated Bosco spin off? I'd totally forgotten that it even existed till these turned up on YT. Don't think it lasted very long.

Here's one from the mists of time. Baileys Bird, a short lived Aussie series that RTE showed in 1979.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

The Book Tower..a vaguely creepy Kids show about books,hosted most memorably by Tom baker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Whoever came up with that opening tune and sequence was on something that didn't quite agree with them.

No such thing as wrapping us children of the 70s up in cotton wool! The kids tv was terrifying.The public information films were terrifying.
    Mum: outside now! And don't come back til tea time or I'll leather you with the wooden spoon!
    Little Sardonicat : But Mum! What about the overhead power lines and pylons, the broken glass underfoot, the abandoned fridges, the open water, the oncoming traffic, the slurry pits, the weirdos that lure children with sweets and the unaccompanied dogs that want to rip me limb from limb?! I've seen them on the telly!
    Mum: OUT!
    Later.....
    Mum: If you've finished your tea, you can watch children's television
    Kid's TV: Post apocalyptic wasteland, ghosts, aliens, creepy music.
    Mum:Time for bed .

Sweet dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Does anyone remember Kimba the white lion?

Advertisement