Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

New Home wrote:
    I remember The Lakes very well.

You inspired me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Edge Of Darkness, mid 80's political thriller that went down some weird avenues. Very bleak ending.

Day Of The Triffids. Superior early 80's version.

The Mad Death. Kind of like Threads only with a rabies outbreak instead of nuclear holocaust.

Great stuff. Watched The Mad Death again before Christmas. The fox!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,887 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The Magic Roundabout .

What a wonderful , innocent programme that was , happy memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Band Of Gold
    mid 1990s ITV, Sunday nights.

band-of-gold-the-complete-series.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Married With Children

No so much that nobody remembers it moreso that due to its content it till probably never be shown on TV or Satellite again, though youtube still has 'best of Al Bundy' videos up....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Moonlighting

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Caroline in the City.
    Mainly for Lea Thompson...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Scifi anthology show The Outer Limits.

Hit and miss but also some really strong episodes such as Trial by Fire, Quality of Mercy, Light Brigade.

Peak Practice

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Remembered another one from the early 00's: NY:LON a lovely will they/won't they drama series starring Rashida Jones, Stephen Moyer and an awesome soundtrack.

Actually available on All4 at the moment too:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/ny-lon

• Advertisement

Homefront. 1990s US drama, with some light hearted moments, about World War Two veterans returning to normal life.
    Early appearances by Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights) and Kelly Rutherford (Gossip Girl).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Homefront. 1990s US drama, with some light hearted moments, about World War Two veterans returning to normal life.
    Early appearances by Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights) and Kelly Rutherford (Gossip Girl).

That was a fantastic programme, it's a shame they haven't repeated it.

"Ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

The upper hand. English Who's The Boss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

branie2 wrote: »
    Moonlighting

Did Bruce Wilis sing the theme song for this, or am I raving?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Anyone remember a late 80s American show ' The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd'? I don't remember anything much about it except the theme tune.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Speaking of being home sick from school, I always watched these game shows on Sky whenever I was. I loved Classic Concentration. I loved trying to match the prizes but I was a bit young to solve most of the puzzles. Sky aired them in the early 90s.

The $25,000 Pyramid was another one.

Caroline in the City; fairlly unfunny comedy from '95 about a cartoonist and her life and tribulations. I think the sketches used to come alive? Peter Krause was a guest star in one episode and went onto star in the wonderfully bonkers 'The lost room' in 2006, an amazing 6 part sci fi series with Juliana Marguiles that I absolutely loved and was gutted when they didnt renew for a second season.

sweetie wrote: »
    Caroline in the City; fairlly unfunny comedy from '95 about a cartoonist and her life and tribulations. I think the sketches used to come alive? Peter Krause was a guest star in one episode and went onto star in the wonderfully bonkers 'The lost room' in 2006, an amazing 6 part sci fi series with Juliana Marguiles that I absolutely loved and was gutted when they didnt renew for a second season.

I don't remember The Lost Room.
    Caroline in the City I would watch but it was mainly for the cast, who were doing their best with thin material.
    Veronica's Closest was similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

madmaggie wrote: »
    Did Bruce Wilis sing the theme song for this, or am I raving?

no it was Al Jarreau, awful cheesy song. I hated that thing he does with his voice

Bruce Willis does sing though, he has albums and did sing in moonlighting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It was quite popular at the time, but it seems to have slipped into oblivion: Ned and Stacey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Speaking of being home sick from school, I always watched these game shows on Sky whenever I was. I loved Classic Concentration.
    I loved the US "price is right", lads winning cars, one always sounded like "the pontiac firebird with californian emmission", big boats and stuff, while on the UK one the crowd would be swooning over a toaster!

Breaking bad fans might like this, it is NOT a spoof but looks like it is, it is from 2000 when he would have been ~21

and long before Janet Jackson it had an infamous "wardrobe malfunction" which was parodied and in loads of "blooper" shows. If I link I might be banned! its on youtube The Price Is Right - Yolanda's Wardrobe Malfunction (1977)

EDIT: found a censored version of it. the host responds brilliantly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

American Gothic from 1995. It only ran for one series but it was really good. It centres around a child called Caleb Temple and the corrupt Sherrif Buck. Buck is a murderer and rapist and controls people with supernatural powers. Caleb's dead sister Merlyn appears to him throughout the series giving him advice.

Central Park West also 1995 and only ran for one series. It was about the lives of the glamorous staff of a New York magazine.

Cracker with Robbie Coltrane as the criminal psychologist Fitz who helps the Manchester police. It ran for three series 1993 to 1995 and then there were 2 feature length specials. It was excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

New Home wrote: »
    It was quite popular at the time, but it seems to have slipped into oblivion: Ned and Stacey.

That reminds me of Wings, the fella that played Ned in Ned and Stacey was in it. It was a sitcom about a little one plane airport ran n Nantucket by two brothers.

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Cracker with Robbie Coltrane as the criminal psychologist Fitz who helps the Manchester police. It ran for three series 1993 to 1995 and then there were 2 feature length specials. It was excellent :)

Also written by Jimmy McGovern, IIRC, and that's where John Simm made his debut on TV (again, IIRC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Rubberlegs wrote: »

And A Touch of Frost was good also.

I loved the show Dinosaurs from the early 90s when I was small. 'Not the momma! Not the momma!' :)

I M Weasel, with Michael Dorn as the voice of Weasel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Used to love Perfect Strangers
    Coosin

probably not so popular now, because of what the main star did for years, but I liked the Cosby Show

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't remember The Lost Room.
    Caroline in the City I would watch but it was mainly for the cast, who were doing their best with thin material.
    Veronica's Closest was similar.

Worth a look:
    https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-lost-room/44537/the-lost-room-looking-back-at-an-overlooked-sci-fi-gem

• Advertisement

Bull Island

Advertisement