Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I remember this, Yosser Hughes, "gissa job"
    The scene where Snowy White falls out the window horrified me as a child.

Billy Liar was a sitcom based in a funeral home run by Mr Shadrach. Billy was a Walter Mitty type character, it was quite funny
    :)

The pub scene in final Blackstuff episode is intense. SHAKE HANDS

Billy Liar was good fun; prefer it to the film. A LWT production from 1973/74, it was shown on RTE2 on Saturday nights c 1984/85. George A Cooper as his Dad- brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭cml387

my3cents wrote: »
    Anyone remember or even ever see Out of Town with Jack Hargreaves? It later became Old Country

Same guy was in How.

Ah yes, Sunday afternoon before dinner.

Memorably lampooned by the Fast Show, the genius of which was you knew exactly what they were on about and it seemed to be a kind of private joke shared with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It has to be Hands. An RTE programme about hand crafts and skills including boatbuilding, saddle and leatherwork etc. which aired on RTE about 1980.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,477 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin ... A Personal View.
    RTE series from 70s presented by Eamonn mac Thomais.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0626/626496-a-personal-view-of-the-liberties-in-dublin-1979/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I did not realise that such a place existed until I took the 39 towards An Lár and then a 67 towards Lucan.... there it was after Prussia St..... Stoneybatter.

• Advertisement

Alias the Jester

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Rab C. Nesbitt was another favourite of mine.

Also the series spin off of the Mike Bassett England Manager movie was quite funny also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Aska wrote: »
    Rab C. Nesbitt was another favourite of mine.

It was so funny but it use to make me feel sick :/

Other ones I remember vaguely are Drop The Dead Donkey and The Day Today.

Probably more memorable but I loved The Young Ones and Bottom. They use to make me feel a bit sick too though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

I used to find The Thin Blue Line quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

smilerf wrote: »
    I used to find The Thin Blue Line quite funny

Constable Kevin Goody was very camp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Rentaghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Has anyone mentioned Hogan's Heros? I remember thinking it was hilarious as a kid and I keep on seeing that it is on ForcesTV when I'm channel hopping. There was a really good film about the main star Robert Crane in 2002 Auto Focus. The film explained why I'd not seen the star of Hogan's Heros after that show was on TV. From the film one of the stand out lines was A day without sex ...... is a day wasted.

the Prince Valiant cartoon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Alias the Jester

I'd forgotten about that till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Lorelli! wrote: »
    It was so funny but it use to make me feel sick :/

Other ones I remember vaguely are Drop The Dead Donkey and The Day Today.

Probably more memorable but I loved The Young Ones and Bottom. They use to make me feel a bit sick too though :)

You are pressing all my buttons with Rab C. Nesbitt, Bottom and Drop the Dead Donkey! The black and white credits to Bottom, I could watch on repeat. As for DtDD it had me near tears when I was about 10, I think it was in relation to Albert Reynolds losing a vote of confidence...The credits were rolling and their bird brain reporter was utterly confused as to why the Irish people were so concerned by a tea shop losing power. Stuck with me that one.

The Haunted School - an Australian TV series about a female school teacher who starts a school in a haunted building and doesn't endear herself to the locals in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭cml387

Anyone remember "Chicago Teddy Bears"?

A comedy series set in gangster-time Chicago in the 1920's.

If it doesn't sound familiar, you'd be forgiven as although RTE obviously thought it had some potential since they bought it, CBS did not and it was cancelled after three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Space Cadets, Ambitious 2005 Channel 4 Reality Show where they tricked contestants into believing they were on a Russian Space Ship. In Space.

Must have cost a fortune, and there was no way there could have been a second series.

I liked it. No one else remembers it.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/dec/19/realitytv.channel4

Franks Place... similar setup to Cheers but with African American leads set in a bar / restaurant in New Orleans.

Becker, Ted Danson as a grumpy doctor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I only ever saw repeats of Dublin - A Personal View, back in the late 80s, early 90s. The episodes would also turn up as filler, for any downtime etc..

Presented by Eamonn MacThomais (Wikipedia)

The salt of the earth talk he does with locals is a bit ear curling, it doesn't sit well, but the history is rock solid. Very enjoyable.

YouTube search is your friend.. I'm wary of linking anything in case they get snuffed/removed.

Gorging on 'Hands' at the moment too, the Dublin book binders episode in particular, narrated by Maurice Craig. (Wikipedia)

Baghdad Cafe, with Whoopi Goldberg; it was based on a German film of the same name.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

branie2 wrote: »
    Baghdad Cafe, with Whoopi Goldberg; it was based on a German film of the same name.

The film itself was brilliant (available on YouTube, I think), the soundtrack was hauntingly beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hex, a supernatural story set in an English boarding school. Michael Fassbender was the fallen angel Azazeal. It started around 2004 iirc.

Common As Muck - Mid 90s BBC comedy drama about a group of bin men, starring Edward Woodward (The Equalizer) and Neil Dudgeon (Midsomer Murders).

Ian Richardson played Sherlock Holmes in two 1980s BBC TV movies: "The Sign of Four" and "Hound of the Baskervilles".
    Overshadowed by the brilliant Jeremy Brett version which followed soon after on ITV once the copyright expired on the Holmes canon, but I still enjoyed them.

Interesting back story here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hound_of_the_Baskervilles_(1983_film)

Ian Richardson also popped up as Dr Joseph Bell, playing the inspiration for Arthur Conan Doyle in the Murder Rooms series for BBC.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_Rooms:_Mysteries_of_the_Real_Sherlock_Holmes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Reaper

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Skid X wrote: »
    Space Cadets, Ambitious 2005 Channel 4 Reality Show where they tricked contestants into believing they were on a Russian Space Ship. In Space.

Must have cost a fortune, and there was no way there could have been a second series.

I liked it. No one else remembers it.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/dec/19/realitytv.channel4

Oh wow Id totally forgotten about that, the contestants were some of the stupidest people Id ever seen in action.

Reminds me of My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss, ripoff of the Apprentice except the boss was an actor messing with the contestants, some hilarious scenes.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I loved the Drew Carey show. I think it finished up in 2004. It was on Network 2 at odd times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I loved the Drew Carey show I think it finished up in 2004. It was on Network 2 at odd times.
    Saturday nights on Network 2, along with Night Stand with Dick Detrick.

Advertisement