Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jumpers are Coming 2020/2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    He fell twice at Leopardstown and was also unplaced in hurdle behind Samcro and was unplaced at St Cloud as a 3 year old. All his best runs are on right handed tracks.

https://www.irishracing.com/horse?name=Real-Steel&prt=540341

All things considered his Gold Cup run was extraordinary.

Eitherway I don't think he is good enough for a Ryanair, he is not a Grade 1 horsie.

Hmm I'm not sure why having been to Leopardstown every xmas meet for about 7 years on the spin I thought it was a right handed course.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Morgans wrote: »
    Horses that win over 1m6f on the flat (on heavy) invariably are stayers over jumps. Horses that win the triumph (as he should have done) invariably are stayers. 2m3f on heavy ground is likely to suit more than 2m. He might be good enough to win in any case, but it would be interesting to see whether this is open for discussion in a years time.

So every horse that wins a Triumph is a stayer. Ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    So every horse that wins a Triumph is a stayer. Ok then.

Even though you quoted me, you misquoted me. I said invariably they end up stayers.

One triumph hurdle winner has won the champion in 30 years, (Katchit) 2 triumph hurdle winners have won the champion hurdle in 50 years (Katchit and Krebensis). 53 years to be precise. One triumph hurdle winner has won a Grade 1 2m hurdle following his triumph win in the past 10 years.

One has won the grand national. Tiger Roll. Two were second in the stayers hurdle (Celestial Halo, Mysilv) One won the Irish Grand National (Commanche Court). One won the Long Walk hurdle (Paddy Return). One was placed in the Long Walk (Zarkandar). One has won two Aintree Foxhunters (Katarino)

Yes, you are far far more likely to be a stayer if you can win the Triumph. Ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Panrich wrote: »
    He certainly should not be favourite especially at the distance and without a run.

I’d be a bit wary of laying him though because if he does bounce back to his very best, he’d win this.

Percy will win as he has his run behind him and is match fit
    Monalee for me will finish ahead of Kemboy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

I am all over Laurina for the Mares Chase
    Made for her

roger

that horse is finished

oh yea and she cant jump

hound

• Advertisement

akelly02 wrote: »
    roger

that horse is finished

oh yea and she cant jump

hound

Wait and see..................... ;)

Wait and see..................... ;)

i love the optimism but i can agree with you one this one.

benie for the mares chase would interest me alright !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sire Du Berlais tipped by Gavin Lynch & David Jennings on UTA for the Stayers at 10s. SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Morgans wrote: »
    Even though you quoted me, you misquoted me. I said invariably they end up stayers.

One triumph hurdle winner has won the champion in 30 years, (Katchit) 2 triumph hurdle winners have won the champion hurdle in 50 years (Katchit and Krebensis). 53 years to be precise. One triumph hurdle winner has won a Grade 1 2m hurdle following his triumph win in the past 10 years.

One has won the grand national. Tiger Roll. Two were second in the stayers hurdle (Celestial Halo, Mysilv) One won the Irish Grand National (Commanche Court). One won the Long Walk hurdle (Paddy Return). One was placed in the Long Walk (Zarkandar). One has won two Aintree Foxhunters (Katarino)

Yes, you are far far more likely to be a stayer if you can win the Triumph. Ok then.

Yes more likely but not invariably as you stated before and again in this post.

Since you corrected yourself you didn't really need to give me a history lesson but since you did you forgot the mention the ones that were placed in a CH and one of my old favorites Detroit City who went on again to win at Aintree. GLTU

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Sire Du Berlais tipped by Gavin Lynch & David Jennings on UTA for the Stayers at 10s. SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I dont know who either of them are, but they can go fúck themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Yes more likely but not invariably as you stated before and again in this post.

Since you corrected yourself you didn't really need to give me a history lesson but since you did you forgot the mention the ones that were placed in a CH and one of my old favorites Detroit City who went on again to win at Aintree. GLTU

I think we can safely add Our Connor to the list of 2 milers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

GO ON THE PERCY

GO ON THE PERCY

today will finally prove he cannot win a gold cup

race fit over the other two

plus kemboy wont like the ground

lets hear the excuses afterwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Last chance Saloon for the Presenting Percy.

Needs to beat these handy, both Kemboy and Monalee out for a spin and Mouse's needs a stone or 2.

I don't want to hear any malarky about getting his mark dropped for the Grand National either.

I would advise everyone to have a saver on Darosso, it looks nailed on tbh. Hacks up all things considered.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Slattsy wrote: »
    I dont know who either of them are, but they can go fúck themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFNv6fLAgac&ab_channel=RacingPost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Goshen now not declared for Saturday, will we see him take on Epatante, is their a problem with Goshen or is Moore making it up as he goes along and has no clue?

I'm very much on the latter camp I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭del roy

Paul Nicholls is on fire. Races big and small are being mopped up by Team Ditcheat, yet the 11-time champion trainer is also embracing patience and restraint perhaps more than ever before.

Read what he says and it's obvious that, despite his sizzling form, it really is not all about now, nor indeed the Cheltenham Festival.

Nicholls is building for the future with a nursery class of exciting young four-year-olds, most of whom will race only in bumpers this season.

They are the future. In the present he has a host of stars, including the sport's highest-rated performer, Cyrname, who underlined his coach's genius when showing himself to be potent over three miles and on a left-handed track in the Charlie Hall Chase.

Cyrname now heads to the King George, as does the race's hat-trick-seeker Clan Des Obeaux. They will attempt to give Nicholls an astonishing 12th victory in the Christmas showpiece and form part of a mighty chasing squad that also includes Champion Chase hero Politologue, public favourite Frodon and Real Steel, one of a sizeable group to have been transferred from the yard of Willie Mullins.

With exciting young hurdlers like McFabulous also on his side, Nicholls is set to stay hot as the weather gets cold.

Race in focus

The Cheltenham Gold Cup. It's a race I've been lucky enough to win four times and I would love to make that five. Cyrname and Frodon are obvious candidates but Real Steel could also end up in the mix.

Rival to watch

Envoi Allen will end up unbeaten. He's different class.

Stable* *profile* *
    Yard* *Manor Farm Stables, Ditcheat, Somerset
    Second yard Highbridge Farm, Alhampton, Somerset
    Started* *training* *October 19, 1991 *
    Horses* *in* *yard* *150 *
    Members* *of* *staff* *52 *
    Head lad Clifford Baker
    Assistant trainer Harry Derham
    Ass*istant head lad David Rochester
    Pupil assistant trainers Natalie Parker, Charlie Davies
    Assistant head lass Kate McCormack
    Travelling head girl Kate Nutt
    Assistant travelling head girl Trudie Smith
    Jockeys Harry Cobden, Sam Twiston-Davies, Bryony Frost, Sean Bowen, Brendan Powell, Harry Skelton
    Conditionals Lorcan Williams, Bryan Carver
    Amateurs Will Biddick, Natalie Parker, Angus Cheleda, Keagan Kirkby, Charlotte Summersby
    Personal assistants Hannah Roche, Sarah West
    Finance Lina Chadburn
    Stable sponsor Morson Group
    Website paulnichollsracing.com
    Twitter @PFNicholls * *

Winners in Britain

2019-20* *96 *
    2018-19* *135 *
    2017-18* *127 *
    2016-17* *171 *
    2015-16* *122 *

Profit/loss* *to* *£1* *stake* *

2019-20* *-£90.17
    2018-19* *-£52.21 *
    2017-18* *-£132.84
    2016-17* *-£78.39
    2015-16* *-£73.23 *

Prize-money* *2019-20*
    £2,341,313

Alcala
    Ten-year-old gelding by Turgeon (sire) - Pail Mel (dam)
    Owner: Owners Group 016
    Form figures: 26/F129-
    Racing Post Rating: 159c; Official rating: 139c
    A fun horse for his owners and he delivered them a winning day in a hunter chase at Haydock in February. That sort of race has given him a second life and he'll continue down that road.

Amour De Nuit
    8g Azamour - Umthoulah
    Andrew Williams
    51242/1
    RPR 147c 144h OR 139c 140h
    He'd been off for quite some time with a leg injury before winning at Plumpton. The idea was simply to give him a run over hurdles before he went back chasing but he won quite nicely and surprised us a bit, so he'll now have another run over hurdles in a 2m4½f handicap hurdle at Newbury next Saturday before reverting to fences.

Ashutor
    6g Redoute's Choice - Ashalanda
    The Stewart Family
    RPR 144c OR 139c
    We kept him on the go through the summer and he did well. After enjoying eight weeks at grass he has come back in with a view to running after Christmas. He took well to fences and I could see him improving enough to run in the Grand Annual.

Ask For Glory
    6g Fame And Glory - Ask Helen
    Colm Donlon & Mrs P K Barber
    119/41-5
    RPR 139h OR 138h
    This is an interesting horse. His wins in a point-to-point, bumper and novice hurdle all came on soft ground but on quicker ground at Cheltenham last month he was flat out and choked. As a result of that we've given him another wind operation. He'll be back after Christmas and the likelihood is we'll send him novice chasing.

Atholl Street
    5g Jeremy - Allthewhile
    Trevor Hemmings
    6-1
    RPR 117h
    He was big and weak last season but had a wind op in the summer and has matured nicely. He'll improve loads for his Taunton win last week and I'll now try to find a similar race. He wouldn't want the ground too soft but one day he'll make an awesome chaser.

Barbados Buck's
    5g Getaway - Buck's Blue
    The Stewart Family
    275-21
    RPR 125h
    He just shows you how much horses need time because he hosed up at Southwell on Friday. Bryony [Frost] said there's huge improvement to come from him. He should win some more nice staying hurdles this season and he'll be a super 3m chaser in time.

Black Corton
    9g Laverock - Pour Le Meilleur
    The Brooks Family & J Kyle
    23242-4
    RPR 166c OR 160c
    His wind has always troubled him slightly, so we sorted that out before he ran a nice race on his return at Ascot. He'd missed work and showed he might just have been a bit behind some of ours who have been winning. He'll improve for that. I'm not sure where he goes next but his main goal will probably be Sandown's Oaksey Chase – it's a race that's made for him and he won it in 2019. He isn't the biggest horse but he jumps brilliantly and would be the same size as Seagram, so I wouldn't rule out a tilt at the National and before that the Becher Chase.

Blackjack Kentucky
    7g Oscar - My Name's Not Bin
    Owners Group 026
    3/2212-4
    RPR 116c OR 130c
    The ground wasn't soft enough when he started out over fences at Chepstow last month. He was made favourite but as well as the conditions not being right he also needed the run, which is generally the case with him. He'll continue in beginners' chases.

Bob And Co
    9g Dom Alco - Outre Mer
    David Maxwell Racing Limited
    5P3/P11-
    RPR 150c OR 146c
    He could take high rank in this season's hunter chase division. He's had a wind op since winning a couple of races in the spring.

Bravemansgame
    5g Brave Mansonnien - Genifique
    John Dance and Bryan Drew
    1/36-21
    RPR 132h OR 131h
    A winning point-to-pointer who was bought to be a chaser. Last season he was big and backward but after we sorted out his wind he shaped with promise at Chepstow before winning nicely at Exeter. Next week's 2m4f novice hurdle at Newbury is the plan and there will then hopefully be a return visit for the Challow. He's going to be awesome over fences next season.

Brelan D'As
    9g Crillon - Las De La Croix
    John P McManus
    35/U28-P
    RPR 147c OR 143c
    A minor problem in the spring caused him to miss the festival but he was back for the Paddy Power Gold Cup, in which he ran okay until getting tired. He'll be out again in three weeks.

Brewers Project
    6g Aizavoski - Shaylee Wilde
    The Hon Mrs Townshend
    1/4F-4
    RPR 115h
    He'd been going beautifully at home, so I thought he would win at Chepstow last week, but he was a bit keen and probably wants better ground. I'm sure he's better than that.

Cap Du Mathan
    5g Kapgarde - Nounjya Du Mathan
    The Stewart Family
    42/6331-
    RPR 124h OR 128h
    He's had a few niggly problems and hasn't run since he bolted up in a Plumpton maiden hurdle in January. Given he has a nice mark of 128, I want to give him one handicap hurdle outing over Christmas and then he'll be novice chasing. I really like him and feel there's a lot to come from him.

Capeland
    8g Poliglote - Neiland
    Mrs Kathy Stuart
    D1450-U
    RPR 162c OR 150c
    He tipped up on his seasonal reappearance at Ascot but may well go back there on Saturday for the race he won last year.

Cat Tiger
    6g Diamond Boy - Miss Canon
    21211P-
    RPR 147c OR 145c
    Another horse who should do really well in hunter chases. He won a couple of nice races over hurdles under his owner, David Maxwell, and before that he had winning form over fences at Auteuil. We haven't yet run him over fences here but we're looking forward to that happening.

Chavez
    4g Yeats - Rock The Baby
    Malcolm C Denmark
    RPR 110b
    This Chepstow winner is one of a really nice bunch of four-year-olds who went through our pre-training set-up managed by Will Biddick, who now has a similar group of three-year-olds. I've learned it's best not to run that sort of horse until the autumn as a four-year-old. My intention is to give them two or three runs in bumpers and then put them away again before they go novice hurdling next season and then chasing the following season. It's great to have a production line of such lovely horses who have time to mature and grow into their physiques.

Christopher Wood
    5g Fast Company - Surf The Web
    Ms Sharon Kinsella
    04910-3
    RPR 145h OR 143h
    He won a decent handicap hurdle at Musselburgh in February and had the pace to win on the Flat under Megan [Nicholls]. He's a big horse and needed the run at Bangor last week. Ideally he wants a flattish track but he should continue to win plenty of races.

Cill Anna
    5m Imperial Monarch - Technohead
    The Stewart Family
    73111-0
    RPR 135h OR 134h
    She always needs a run or two to sharpen her up but the ground was also quicker than she likes at Wincanton, where she had a good blow. She'll go for either the 3m handicap hurdle at Haydock on Saturday or the Listed mares' hurdle at Kempton the following Monday. After that we'll discuss whether she stays over hurdles or goes chasing. There's still a lot of improvement in her. She wants a trip and soft ground.

Star quality
    Clan Des Obeaux
    8g Kapgarde - Nausicaa Des Obeaux
    Mr & Mrs P K Barber, G Mason & Sir A Ferguson
    152/218-
    RPR 178c OR 171c
    He looks like he's improved physically and at eight years old he's entitled to be at his best now – I do think he's a better, stronger horse. As you'd expect, he goes for the Betfair Chase on Saturday –unless the Haydock ground is desperate, in which case we could reroute to Ascot – and then on to the King George. Sam Twiston-Davies will ride him at Haydock as I suspect Harry will partner Cyrname at Kempton, with Sam on Clan again. He definitely won't go back to Cheltenham and he won't even have an entry in the Gold Cup. It would be a waste of a run as he doesn't like the place. After Christmas I think he'd have the boot to go for the Ascot Chase, although his big target in the second half of the season will be the Punchestown Gold Cup. I think that would suit him down to the ground.

Confirmation Bias
    5g Presenting - Bonnie Parker
    Colm Donlon
    12-4
    RPR 118b
    After winning on his debut at Wincanton last November he finished second at the same track on Boxing Day. We sent him up to Ayr for his hurdles debut in October but he didn't enjoy ground that was really soft. He's a lovely chasing prospect but he'll win novice hurdles first.

Cut The Mustard
    8m Al Namix - Tadorna
    Sullivan Bloodstock Limited
    61212F-
    RPR 144c OR 137c
    A nice mare who has only been with us for a month. She fell on her last start in Ireland, so we've been doing plenty of work on her jumping. She could possibly be ready to run in the middle of next month and we may consider the Caspian Caviar Gold Cup at Cheltenham. She'll be perfect for mares' chases.

Star quality
    Cyrname
    8g Nickname - Narquille
    Mrs Johnny de la Hey
    11/12F-1
    RPR* *181c *OR* *176c *
    You never know if the sort of fall he suffered at Ascot will leave a mark, but his schooling was great and we couldn't have been more pleased with him at Wetherby. To see him win on the bridle was very rewarding. Funnily enough, although he's looked like a quick horse, he isn't really that fast and at home all he's ever done is suggest he wants a trip. In his Ascot wins he's stayed on strongly at the finish, so I felt sure he'd stay three miles, but until we saw him do it we couldn't be sure. The left-handed thing was just something in his head when he was a young lunatic. He'll now go to Kempton, where he wasn't at his best last year, perhaps partly because of the hard race he had at Ascot and partly because he just wasn't right. After the King George I suspect we'll train him for the Gold Cup. For that race you need a horse who can travel and doesn't mind going up and down hills. He won't be flat out around Cheltenham and he should be able to fill his lungs running down the hill – just like Kauto used to do – before coming up the straight.

Danny Kirwan
    7g Scorpion - Sainte Baronne
    Mrs Johnny de la Hey
    10/22/6-3
    RPR 127h OR 134h
    I know he's still a maiden over hurdles but this is a nice horse. He had some good bumper form but he's been fragile, which has meant I've never really had the sort of clear run with him I'd have liked. He needed the outing at Aintree last month, but he'll have come on for it and will hopefully lose his maiden tag over hurdles next time out before he jumps fences.

Danny Whizzbang
    7g Getaway - Lakil Princess
    Mrs Angela Tincknell
    11/133-7
    RPR 148c OR 145c
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I shouldn't have run him in the Badger Beers. I was keen to give him a run before the Ladbrokes Trophy but they went flat out at Wincanton and it wasn't his day. He bled but it was only minor and out of one nostril. I think he'll still be fine to go to Newbury, which is his sort of place as he wants a big, galloping track with cut in the ground.

Diego Du Charmil
    8g Ballingarry - Daramour
    Mrs Johnny de la Hey
    5/122-33
    RPR 164c 150h OR 156c 148h
    A tough horse and one of the favourites in the yard. He isn't the easiest to place because of his rating but he ran another good race in the Elite Hurdle. The Desert Orchid Chase at Kempton over Christmas could be a target.

Diese Des Bieffes
    7g Martaline - Chanel Du Berlais
    112551/
    RPR 141h OR 141h
    He's coming back from a few problems and is still around a month off a run. He'll go novice chasing.

Dolcita
    5m Saint Des Saints - Orcantara
    32/132-2
    RPR 135h OR 136h
    She finished second in the mares' novice hurdle at last season's festival, so she was understandably a short price for a three-runner race at Hereford last week. Unfortunately she bled that day, so she's going to have a breathing operation this week and then we'll change her training routine and look to get her back on the track after Christmas.

Dolos
    7g Kapgarde - Redowa
    Mrs Johnny de la Hey
    12714-4
    RPR 166c OR 160c
    In my opinion he wasn't far off a personal best at Cheltenham in October. I want to try him in the Peterborough Chase because I think going up in trip on a fast track will suit him.

Dr Sanderson
    6g Jeremy - Guydus
    John P McManus
    5/P525-1
    RPR 140c OR 139c
    He isn't the biggest horse in the world and doesn't want the ground to be too soft, which is why we took him out of a race at Ascot a few weeks ago. He's a good, fun horse but not one who'll end up in Grade 1 company.

Duc Des Genievres
    7g Buck's Boum - Lobelie
    482F5-2
    RPR 166c OR 160c
    The 2019 Arkle winner is another horse sent to us by Jared Sullivan. He had a wind op in the summer and has been keen at home, which made me think he'd need the run at Cheltenham on Sunday, mainly to take the freshness off him, so I was pleasantly surprised. He ran a fantastic race and there will be lots of improvement to come. The Desert Orchid Chase should suit him but he'll have to be entered in all the top 2m chases.

Ecco
    5g Maxios - Enjoy The Life
    Colm Donlon
    13200-8
    RPR 140h OR 133h
    He needs to pull his finger out a bit. In his defence, he did win two races last season, one of them at Ascot, where he'll hopefully return this week. He's become a bit lazy and may need blinkers but is definitely capable of winning off 133. He wants good ground.

Eglantine Du Seuil
    6m Saddler Maker - Rixia Du Seuil
    33540-5
    RPR 150h OR 146h
    A lot of Jared's horses had some time in pre-training with Noel Fehily, so they came to us a bit later than some others in the yard. She ran a nice race on her first start for us at Wincanton and she'll come on a lot for that. I do think she needs to come down a few pounds but if she does she could win a nice handicap.

Enrilo
    6g Buck's Boum - Rock Treasure
    Martin Broughton & Friends 4
    1513-21
    RPR 143c OR 140c
    Kempton's flat track will play to his strengths and I'm looking forward to running him in the Kauto Star Novices' Chase, which will be his next run. He didn't have too many outings over hurdles, but he did well, and he's really taken to jumping fences. He's going to continue making physical improvement and could certainly be a horse for what used to be the RSA Chase, but it's worth stressing not every good horse has to go to Cheltenham.

Eritage
    6g Martaline - Sauves La Reine
    Mrs Angela Tincknell
    /F5126-1
    RPR 139c OR 136c
    He was left in front when a winner at Ludlow but he was staying on at the time. Ideally he needs a more galloping track, so we're looking at the novice handicap chase at Newbury's Ladbrokes Trophy meeting. He'll get further than two miles once he learns to relax and I think he'll win plenty of races over fences.

Estelle Ma Belle
    6m Air Chief Marshal - Ozalid
    2-1
    RPR 120h OR 120h
    She hasn't been the easiest to train but won easily at Ffos Las on her first start for us and is now being aimed at the Listed mares' novice hurdle at Newbury next week. Her jumping wasn't really up to scratch but Lorcan Williams has done loads of schooling on her, which is why he was in the saddle at Ffos Las. She's fragile and has to go left-handed but she has a huge engine.

Fabulous Saga
    8g Saint Des Saints - Fabalina
    231177/
    RPR 147h OR 145h
    We're going to send him novice chasing. He's obviously had problems and we need to get him fit but he's a big, strong horse. He's six weeks off a run.

Famoso
    4g Fame And Glory - Mucho Macabi
    P K Barber and P J Vogt
    RPR 87b
    He started 8-11 favourite for a Chepstow bumper but disappointed us. I think he'll leave that form well behind and I'm now going to get him going over hurdles because I think he wants a trip.

Fast Buck
    6g Kendargent - Juvenil Delinquent
    3/11258-
    RPR 140h OR 142h
    Another horse who's had issues and, once again, it's just a case of getting him fit. We may give him one run over hurdles – although I don't think he's particularly well treated off 142 – before he goes chasing.

Fidelio Vallis
    5g Saint Des Saints - Quora Vallis
    J Hales
    7F11-24
    RPR 136h OR 138h
    He's quite a keen horse who loves to bowl along. I was mortified he got beaten in the Listed race at Kempton but the mare he was trying to give 7lb to, Mrs Hyde, went on to defeat Verdana Blue, which means the form now looks much stronger. He hated the track and ground at Cheltenham on Sunday and will now go novice chasing on flat tracks.

Flash Collonges
    5g Saddler Maker - Prouesse Collonges
    The Gi Gi Syndicate
    RPR 119h
    Last season he was a big, backward horse and always too heavy to run. He's needed all the time in the world and when he ran at Exeter I knew he'd be green, so we were pleasantly surprised not just that he won but travelled so well. There's enormous improvement to come from him and whatever he does over hurdles this season will be a bonus. He really is a chaser.

Flemenstide
    5g Flemensfirth - Keep Face
    P K Barber and P J Vogt
    RPR 118b
    He was so backward we could hardly train him last season and when he went to Sandown it was his first time away from here and his first time on grass. I was absolutely thrilled he ran so well, running green but staying on strongly. I'd like to give him one more bumper run but as he's going on six I think it will then be novice hurdles. He'll want two and a half miles over hurdles and will ultimately be a staying chaser.

Flic Ou Voyou
    6g Kapgarde - Hillflower
    Colm Donlon
    222-111
    RPR 137h OR 137h
    We can pat ourselves on the back for placing him well to win three on the bounce. The Listed novice hurdle at Haydock on Betfair Chase day will be his next race. He could win a few more nice races over hurdles this season, but I'm definitely not saying he's going to be winning a Supreme, so we've not ruled out switching him to fences sooner rather than later. *

Star quality
    Frodon
    8g Nickname*-* *Miss Coun*try
    P J Vogt
    1/3314-1
    RPR* *177c OR 169c *
    I truthfully didn't expect such a wonderful performance at Cheltenham in October but he just loves that track and is so game. You can be sure he'll be heading towards the Gold Cup. I'm not shouting out that I think he'll win the Gold Cup but I do think he'll run a solid race and I could easily see him being in the frame. He gets into a rhythm around Cheltenham, which Clan Des Obeaux and before him Silviniaco Conti were never able to do. His next race will be the Many Clouds Chase at Aintree but he could also go to the King George, which I'm sure Paul Vogt would love to see. Once we get past Christmas we'll work back from the Gold Cup and maybe look at the Cotswold Chase along the way.

Gala De Corton
    4g Secret Singer - Pour Le Meilleur
    Gordon & Su Hall
    RPR 102b
    A backward half-brother to Black Corton who finished an encouraging third at Ludlow. Lorcan Williams said he had a job pulling him up, so he'll appreciate a stiffer track and softer ground.

Getareason
    7g Getaway - Simple Reason
    370/07-3
    RPR 139c OR 137c
    We were thrilled with his run at Sandown and he'll improve for it. I think he'll have no trouble winning a novice handicap chase.

Getaway Trump
    7g Getaway - Acinorev
    Owners Group 023
    33P-314
    RPR 150c OR 144c
    I think after his disappointing run at Cheltenham he wants two and a half miles and a flat track. He'll now go to Fakenham this week and at some point he'll win a nice race, although he could be braver when jumping, so I may try him in cheekpieces.

Get The Appeal
    6m Getaway - Lady Appeal
    Middleham Park Racing IX
    D/176-0F
    RPR 116h OR 111h
    She'd have won at Exeter but for falling two out. There's a mares' handicap hurdle at Market Rasen this week that could be right for her.

Give Me A Copper
    10g Presenting - Copper Supreme
    Done, Ferguson, Mason, Nicholls & Wood
    1/4F4/17-
    RPR 150c OR 146c
    We think he got cast in his box a week before the Badger Beers, which meant we had to miss that, although the ground would have been too quick for him anyway. I'll give him an entry for the Becher Chase and he can head there fresh, which is when he tends to be at his best. He could obviously be a National horse.

Glajou
    4g Network - Toscane
    Middleham Park Racing & Peter Lamb
    5337-24
    RPR 120c OR 125c
    He has me scratching my head. He jumped brilliantly at Chepstow and looked sure to win but then started to look about a bit. I may try him on a flatter track at Southwell for a novice handicap chase. I think at some point he'll click and win plenty of races.

Gold Bullion
    4g Fame And Glory - Tornade D'Ainay
    Malcolm C Denmark
    Unraced
    He's out of a half-sister to the very good staying hurdler Crystal D'Ainay and should be ready to run at Christmas.

Golden Gift
    6g Gold Well - Five Star Present
    Mr & Mrs P K Barber, G Mason & Sir A Ferguson
    22/3-U
    RPR 118h
    He'd have won at Wincanton last month but for coming down at the final flight. He's a decent sort who should win races over hurdles before developing into a nice staying chaser.

Grand Sancy
    6g Diamond Boy - La Courtille
    Martin Broughton Racing Partners
    3341-13
    RPR 157c OR 149c
    He made a mistake down the far side in the Rising Stars and immediately started choking. I'd put a line through that. Next time we may run him left-handed, which I think suits him better over fences, and that could be in the Grade 2 novice chase over two and a half miles at the Ladbrokes Trophy meeting. After that he'll have to run in open company.

Great Gable
    4g Fame And Glory - Mistress Mole
    Owners Group 050
    Unraced
    He's ready to make his debut in a bumper. He's out of a half-sister to Mr Mole, who won some nice races for us.

Star quality
    Greaneteen
    6g Great Pretender - Manson Teene
    Chris Giles
    01114-1
    RPR 158c OR 158c
    He does everything so well at home and ended up winning the Haldon Gold Cup nicely, even though I thought he might be in trouble two out. He'll improve for that and now goes for the Tingle Creek. Unlike some in the 2m chase division, he's come through the handicap ranks, but he could keep progressing. I have a feeling he'll run a massive race at Sandown because he's a real staying two-miler and the faster they go the better it is for him.

Hacker Des Places
    3g Great Pretender - Plaisance
    Owners Group 068
    3-12
    RPR 117h OR 132h
    He won in France over the summer but then on his first start for us he was beaten by one of ours, Viroflay, something I really couldn't see happening beforehand. He ended up getting a mark of 132 but I've absolutely no idea why – in my opinion it should have been more like 120. I think with time he should be okay.

Dark horse

Hell Red
    3g Martaline - Queen Margot
    Sir Martin Broughton & Friends 6
    2-1P
    RPR 118h
    At this stage I have no idea what happened on Saturday. It's a mystery. He had done nothing wrong since he won at Chepstow and had worked brilliantly on Tuesday. He wasn't distressed after the race and scoped 100 per cent clean. I've told the owners to put a line through the run.

Highland Hunter
    7g Subtle Power - Loughine Sparkle
    Thomas Barr
    135/81-2
    RPR 136h OR 133h
    He struggled with his breathing last season, so I thought the wind op would help him, but I still expected him to need the run at Ayr, where he ran very well. He could go chasing straight away or we could be tempted by the 3m handicap hurdle at Haydock on Saturday. He loves soft ground and stays forever.

Dark horse

Hitman
    4g Falco - Tercah Girl
    Mason, Hogarth, Ferguson & Done
    2O1-1
    RPR 153c OR 141c
    We gave him lots of time after he came over from France and expected him to go very well on his chasing debut at Ffos Las, even though it looked a very good race. I was a bit nervous because he'd run only three times over hurdles at Pau and lacked experience, but aside from galloping into the second-last he jumped beautifully. I believe he's a very nice horse and I'm thinking now of going for the Henry VIII at Sandown. He's still only four and I don't want to give him too hard a season, so he'd need to be one of the favourites for the Arkle for me to think about running him in it.

Jeremy Pass
    5g Jeremy - Toulon Pass
    John Dance
    F/35-
    RPR 105b
    He'd have won a point-to-point but for falling at the final fence and then ran well in a couple of bumpers for us. Having had a wind op, he's now ready to go in novice hurdles.

Kandoo Kid
    4g Kapgarde - Scarlett Du Mesnil
    Michael Geoghegan
    Unraced
    I'm planning to give him his bumper debut at Ascot on Saturday. He's out of a half-sister to Politologue and we like him.

Kapcorse
    7g Kapgarde - Angesse
    John P McManus
    61/7117/
    RPR 146c OR 138c
    He hasn't run for a long time but should make his comeback at Newbury later this month. We have him in the Ladbrokes Trophy but I suspect we'll run him in the Sir Peter O'Sullevan Memorial Handicap Chase, which he won two years ago. He has plenty of ability and should win a nice race somewhere.

Knappers Hill
    4g Valirann - Brogella
    P K Barber and P J Vogt
    RPR 110b
    Who knows what he beat at Chepstow but Harry Cobden couldn't pull him up afterwards. He may head to Wincanton on Boxing Day before one more bumper run in the spring and then we'll put him away as he needs to develop.

Kumara Plough
    4g Milan - Back To Loughabera
    The Stewart Family
    Unraced
    He's a big, strong chasing sort who's ready to make his debut.

Laurina
    7m Spanish Moon - Lamboghina
    14/1PP3-
    RPR 158h 150c OR 157h
    Our system is completely different to the system she knew when trained by Willie [Mullins], so part of the job with the horses who have joined us is getting them used to how we do things. She's a bit of a challenge but the most important thing is she looks fantastic. She beat Minella Indo over fences on her chasing debut but I believe she then bled twice. We gave her a wind op over the summer and in the last few weeks she's been coming along beautifully in her training alongside Politologue and Next Destination. We've had no problems with her and she's in a happy place after enjoying some schooling over hurdles and fences. The Ascot Hurdle on Saturday will be her first run for us. That's just a starting point and should guide us as to whether she then runs over hurdles or fences. The new mares' chase at the Cheltenham Festival could obviously be perfect for her.

Lucky One
    5g Authorized - Lady Anouchka
    Sullivan Bloodstock & Hughes Crowley
    22/4-72
    RPR 121h OR 124h
    He could be all right and just needs to settle. There's plenty to come from him and he may go back in distance.

Magic Saint
    6g Saint Des Saints - Magic Poline
    Mr and Mrs J D Cotton
    2/517-61
    RPR 160c OR 152c
    As was the case last season, he needed his first run but he travelled well and bolted up at Cheltenham on Friday. He's going to be hard to place but I'm going to enter him for an open handicap at Ascot on Saturday. After that we'll probably have to look at conditions races.

Malaya
    6m Martaline - Clarte D'Or
    Mrs Johnny de la Hey
    0/3602-2
    RPR 142h OR 139h
    She ran nicely at Ascot but is handicapped up to her best. I'd be keen to run her in a Listed race over two miles and one day she may go chasing again, although probably not this season.

Manorbank
    Arcadio - Kind Word
    Owners Group 065
    1-
    RPR 105b
    He should be ready to have his first run for us around Christmas. There was lots to like about his Kelso bumper success in January and we're looking forward to running him in novice hurdles on soft ground.

Master Tommytucker
    9g Kayf Tara - No Need For Alarm
    A G Fear
    F/1FF-21
    RPR 157c OR 147c
    He's been frustrating because he has so much talent, so it was great to see him put in a clear round and win easily at Huntingdon last week. Before I put him back into a proper race I'd like to give him one more run in a graduation chase, possibly at Haydock on Saturday, although there's a similar race at Ascot next month.

Star quality
    Mcfabulous
    6g Milan - Rossavon
    Giraffa Racing
    1/2411-1
    RPR 154h OR 153h
    A lovely horse who just took a bit of time last season, when he wasn't always the bravest jumping at home or on the racecourse. He ended up handicapping himself very well and won the EBF Final before hosing up in the Persian War. He'll now go to Newbury for the Long Distance Hurdle. If it looked like he wasn't going to be good enough for the Stayers' Hurdle he could go chasing – but I have a sneaking feeling he'll be right in the mix in the Stayers'. We'll know more by next weekend.

Mick Pastor
    4g Meshaheer - Mick Oceane
    John P McManus
    1610-F
    RPR 132c 138h OR 137c 137h
    He was a bit unfortunate to come down at the final fence at Fakenham, but for which he'd probably have won. We have to get some experience into him and he needs to learn to settle.

Miranda
    5m Camelot - Great Artist
    Owners Group 034
    11P/813-
    RPR 135h OR 136h
    I think she's just about ready to win again over hurdles. She twice ran well on the Flat last month but she was also good enough to win a handicap hurdle at last year's Kempton Christmas meeting.

Modus
    10g Motivator - Alessandra
    John P McManus
    0370/6-1
    RPR 158c OR 150c
    To see him win at Aintree after so long off the track was thrilling. Jonjo O'Neill gave him a brilliant ride. I told him he wouldn't blow up and he rode him accordingly. I'm now thinking about the Grand Sefton.

Mon Frere
    4g Pour Moi - Sistine
    Elite Racing Club
    7/54112- (Flat)
    RPR 80f OR 75f
    Some of the horses who went jumping having raced on the Flat for Sir Mark Prescott have done incredibly well and we're hoping this lad can shine over hurdles in the new year. He hasn't run for a while but he had a progressive profile in staying handicaps when last on the track.

Monmiral
    3g Saint Des Saints - Achere
    Sir A Ferguson, G Mason, J Hales & L Hales
    1-
    RPR 120h
    This is a lovely horse and one I think we're entitled to be excited about because on his only start in France he beat Hell Red. The plan is to give him his first run in Britain at Exeter a week on Sunday before a run in one of the two big juvenile hurdles at Cheltenham or Doncaster in mid-December.

Mondora
    3f Montmartre - Clarte D'Or
    Mrs Johnny de la Hey
    Unraced
    We bought her from France, where she never raced. If I don't run her in a three-year-olds' bumper I'll give her a first start in the Listed juvenile mares' hurdle they stage at Aintree on Becher Chase day. She's a half-sister to Malaya.

Mr Glass
    4g Sholokhov - Maryota
    John Dance
    RPR 103b
    We probably should have made more use of him first time out as all he did was gallop. He's a beautiful horse who should be a lovely prospect for novice hurdles this time next year. It's good to have John Dance as an owner in the yard.

My Way
    6g Martaline - Royale Majesty
    Chris Giles
    4266-14
    RPR 141c OR 127c
    It wasn't the plan to make the running in the Badger Beers but he jumped off a bit free and was always doing too much out front. When he turned into the straight I thought it was going to be a long way home and he didn't quite finish after the final fence. I'll look for a beginners' chase now and I'm sure there's a nice race in him.

Next Destination
    8g Dubai Destination - Liss Alainn
    Malcolm C Denmark
    11131/2
    RPR 152h OR 149h
    We've had to treat him with kid gloves as he's had problems. He came into the yard in the middle of June and did lots of steady work before his comeback at Wetherby. I thought it would have been amazing if he finished fourth or fifth but he surprised both Harry and me, running a blinder to finish second. Given he'd been off for a long time, we won't rush to run him but he could possibly go to Newbury for the 3m Grade 2 novice chase on November 28. He could be a really smart novice chaser over a trip if he stays sound. We just need to mind him and not be greedy.

Oscars Moonshine
    5g Oscar - Scrapper Jack
    Mrs Elizabeth Lane
    70-6111
    RPR 124h OR 122h
    He joined us from Colin Tizzard last season and wasn't really going anywhere in his first few runs for us. Harry was sure he would win races after the horse finished sixth in September and he was right because he won his next three starts. We'll give him a bit of a rest now but I'm sure he can win more races over hurdles before he ends up making a lovely chaser.

Paso Doble
    3c Dawn Approach - Baila Me
    Graeme & Yvonne Brooks
    7-11333 (Flat)
    RPR 90f OR 84f
    A dual Flat winner for Godolphin in Ireland. He's a big, strong horse, measuring 16.3 hands, and very much the type we hope will make a nice jumper. We need to geld him and teach him his job. I could see him following a path we've trodden before and turning up in the Adonis at Kempton in February.

Dark horse

Petrossian
    4g Sageburg - Innisfree Dawn
    Malcolm C Denmark
    RPR 115b
    He was very impressive when winning without coming off the bridle at Newbury, making him the best of our young bumper crop at this stage. There's a valuable bumper at Ascot's Christmas meeting but that's not a definite plan. This time next year he'll be awesome.

Pic D'Orhy
    5g Turgeon - Rose Candy
    Mrs Johnny de la Hey
    20/F61-2
    RPR 142c 150h OR 150c 150h
    Last season was tough for him but if every five-year-old won the Betfair Hurdle, as he did, we'd be happy. He's never been the most natural jumper and his jumping was only ordinary when he finished second first time out over fences at Market Rasen. It looks like he wants two and a half miles – Turgeon's progeny are all stayers in my book. He needs to learn to relax and jump before we drop him into the deep end. By the spring he could be very interesting.

Star quality
    Politologue
    9g Poliglote - Scarlet Row
    J Hales
    422/251-
    RPR 173c OR 169c
    After he disappointed in the Tingle Creek last season we changed his routine. I said to John [Hales] I didn't want to run him before Cheltenham, where I'd have him absolutely right. That's what we did and we're training him the same way for this season's Tingle Creek, after which we'll go straight to Cheltenham. The Champion Chase did fall into his lap a bit but you'll never see a horse jump around Cheltenham better than he did. The plan is for Harry Skelton to stay on him at Sandown, where Harry Cobden will ride Greaneteen.

Pozo Emery
    5g Le Havre - Chic Et Zen
    The Stewart Family
    2-3
    RPR 99b
    We bought him after he finished second in an Irish point-to-point. I'm certain he's better than he showed when coming home third in a Newton Abbot bumper. He wants a bit of time but he'll make up into a nice horse.

Present Man
    10g Presenting - Glen's Gale
    Mr & Mrs Mark Woodhouse
    84P/P-16
    RPR 155c OR 146c
    He went from winning a veterans' race at Chepstow to running another good race in the Badger Beers. We'll try to find something similar before the deep winter ground arrives and then he'll come back in the spring.

Quel Destin
    5g Muhtathir - High Destiny
    Martin Broughton & Friends
    18512-2
    RPR 142c OR 155c
    Megan rode him to win a Flat race last month as a tune-up for his first outing over fences. I've always thought he wants 2m4f and he showed that at Cheltenham on Saturday. We'll find a beginners' chase over that trip next.

Rainyday Woman
    5m Kayf Tara - Wistow
    S White
    32-1
    RPR 110b
    A lovely, strong mare who surprised me by winning at Stratford so easily. She'll run next in a Listed mares' bumper at Huntingdon on Peterborough Chase day before she goes novice hurdling.

Star quality
    Real steele
    7g Loup Breton - Kalimina
    Mrs Kathy Stuart & Sullivan Bloodstock Ltd
    1141P6-
    RPR 168c OR 166c
    I really like this horse. It looked as though he might win the Gold Cup going to the final fence. I don't know whether he got the trip, but in my opinion he leaps out as a potential Ryanair Chase winner. We'll start him back in the Grade 2 at Ascot on Saturday but I've also made an entry for the King George because Ruby Walsh tells me he thinks the horse is good right-handed. He's a lovely horse and a pleasure to have in the yard.

Red Risk
    5g No Risk At All - Rolie De Vindecy
    Middleham Park Racing XLIV & A&J Ryan
    4/9131-3
    RPR 147c OR 144c
    He hadn't been back in training for as long as some of mine and that maybe showed on his reappearance when he got a bit tired at Market Rasen. The Caspian Caviar Gold Cup at Cheltenham could be interesting for him as I don't think 144 is an impossible mark.

Roque It
    6g Presenting - Roque De Cyborg
    Gordon & Su Hall
    31/3
    RPR 110h
    He runs for the owners of Truckers Lodge and is already the winner of a bumper for Olly Murphy. He'll improve tons for his run on Saturday and I'd be surprised if he doesn't finish this season having done well in novice hurdles. Chasing will be his job in time.

Sabrina
    5m Yeats - En Vedette
    Owners Group 030
    218-
    RPR 110b
    She won an Ascot bumper by a wide margin in February and will be competing this season in mares' novice hurdles. She's needed a bit of time but has plenty of ability.

Saint Sonnet
    5g Saint Des Saints - Leprechaun Lady
    Colm Donlon
    56317-F
    RPR 152c OR 147c
    With hindsight, I think he probably needed the run a bit on Saturday. He travelled sweetly but got tired from the back of the third-last fence and had a good blow afterwards. We were going to run him at Chepstow in October but the ground was a bit quick and we hadn't been able to take him anywhere for a gallop. I also wonder if, like Magic Saint, we got his trip completely wrong and that perhaps, like him, he needs to drop back to 2m.

Sametegal
    11g Saint Des Saints - Loya Lescribaa
    Mr and Mrs J D Cotton
    8/243-33
    RPR 153c OR 141c
    He ran a super race at Sandown, where he travelled really well. He's been over the Grand National fences before, so I may give him an entry for the Grand Sefton, but his longer-term aim is the veterans' final back at Sandown in January.

San Benedeto
    9g Layman - Cinco Baidy
    P J Vogt
    173/64-8
    RPR 164c OR 147c
    A standing dish in the yard and the sort of horse who always has a chance of picking up a nice race somewhere. He's been to Aintree before, so he could run in the Grand Sefton, but before that we may take him to Newbury at the end of this month. He's another fun horse.

Secret Investor
    8g Kayf Tara - Silver Charmer
    Hills of Ledbury Ltd
    11/202-1
    RPR 165c OR 162c
    If we get a dry fortnight he'll run in the Ladbrokes Trophy. He keeps improving, as he showed when he won at Chepstow, but it wouldn't be worth taking him out of his box for a race on soft ground. He could well get an entry for the Grand National.

Seelotmorebusiness
    5g Sholokhov - Land Of Pride
    The Stewart Family
    RPR 114h
    It was a bit of a rush to run him at Chepstow last week but Andy Stewart was generously sponsoring the race and understandably keen to have a runner. This was the only suitable horse but it was too soon after his bumper, so I'm pleased he still won. You now won't see him until Christmas. He wants two and a half miles and he'll progress as he matures.

Sending Love
    7g Scorpion - Dato Vic
    1/3P-1
    RPR 134h
    I don't know why but he completely fell apart and ran an awful race at Wincanton in March. We've done things differently with him this season and I did think he might need the run at Ffos Las the other day but he won easily. I wouldn't be afraid to step him up in class on soft ground and the Winter Hurdle at Sandown next month could be an option. Ultimately he'll make up into a smashing staying chaser.

Shearer
    4g Flemensfirth - The Crown Jewel
    McNeill Family
    RPR 110b
    He was a bit unlucky not to win at Hereford. Harry Skelton sat on our tail and got a run on us before Shearer jumped the path. That was a very encouraging run. He'll be a lovely novice hurdler in a year and eventually a staying chaser.

Silent Revolution
    4g Sholokhov - Watson River
    Colm Donlon
    RPR 108b
    The ground would have been quick enough for him when he made his debut at Wincanton but he ran a super race. He'll follow the same route as our other young bumper horses.

Siroco Jo
    3g Hurricane Cat - Diana Vertica
    P J Vogt
    He was just beaten on his only start in a French juvenile hurdle. He's a nice, big horse and I expect we'll give him a first run here just after Christmas.

Sir Psycho
    4g Zoffany - Open Book
    Martin Broughton & Friends 3
    4115-59
    RPR 141h OR 145h
    He was always going to need the run at Chepstow's opening meeting but he ran a nice race. It could be a tough season for him – as we saw at Cheltenham on Sunday – but the National Spirit Hurdle at Fontwell should be made for him. He'll be chasing next season.

Soldier Of Love
    7g Yeats - Monsignorita
    Malcolm C Denmark
    11112P
    RPR 152c OR 144c
    What an amazing horse. He joined us rated 113 and is now on 144. After we sorted out his wind he won four times between July and September, and but for Gordon Elliott's horse Galvin he would have made that five wins at Cheltenham last month. His run on Sunday showed he needs a break, so we'll aim to bring him back in the spring and enter him for the National Hunt Chase.

Solo
    4g Kapgarde - Flameche
    Mrs Johnny de la Hey
    2118-4
    RPR 145h OR 147h
    His impressive win in the Adonis Hurdle caused us all to overreact a little, particularly as last season's juveniles might not have been a vintage bunch. He got a bit lost in the Triumph and was then flat out all the way in the Elite, but after being gelded he was like a tank at Wincanton and probably needed the run. He could face a tough season but he'll win a nice race somewhere if he comes down the handicap a few pounds. He wants a trip and soft ground but he also wants fences, which he'll be jumping next season.

Sonny Crockett
    5g Robin Des Champs - Onewayortheother
    Malcolm C Denmark
    RPR 101h
    He wasn't ready to run in a bumper last season but now has an outing under his belt having shaped really well on his Chepstow debut. He'll improve loads for that run and, given he's a half-brother to Birchdale, we've got good reason to be hopeful.

Southfield Harvest
    6g Kayf Tara - Chamoss Royale
    Mrs Angela Yeoman & Paul K Barber
    31/21-
    RPR 123h OR 127h
    He finished third and first in two bumpers and then second and first in two novice hurdles. He's rated 127, which looks a very winnable mark. I could take him to Ascot or Wincanton over hurdles this week but it won't be long before we send him over fences – and he'll definitely end up rated much higher than 127 when he does that. He's a lovely prospect and I like him a lot.

Southfield Stone
    7g Fair Mix - Laureldean Belle
    Mrs Angela Hart & Mrs Angela Yeoman
    2312-12
    RPR 152c OR 146c
    His time in novice chases is about to run out but he should fare well in handicaps, while he also remains eligible for graduation chases. He was simply beaten by a better horse on the day at Cheltenham last week. He's a lovely long-term prospect.

Stage Star
    4g Fame And Glory- Sparky May
    Owners Group 044
    RPR 118b
    Another member of our exciting four-year-old team who could hardly have been more impressive at Chepstow. He's already jumping hurdles at home but, like the others, we won't run him over hurdles until next season.

Storm Arising
    6g Yeats - Ceol Rua
    Barry Fulton & Mrs Angela Hart
    3/4430-1
    RPR 135h OR 131h
    A smashing horse for his owners and it was great to see him win at Lingfield last week. I told Bryony [Frost] not to get there too soon and she gave him a beautiful ride. We may look at one more run over hurdles but he'll be chasing sooner rather than later.

Stormy Ireland
    6m Motivator - Like A Storm
    1115-22
    RPR 139c 150h OR 148c 148h
    She's tiny, a pocket rocket pony, but she's certainly tough. The problem at Bangor last week was she was too cautious at the fences – had she jumped the two ditches properly she'd have won. Harry felt jumping those ditches was too much of an effort for her in the ground, so we need to decide if it would be best to stay over fences or go back over hurdles.

Stratagem
    4g Sunday Break - Our Ziga
    131-6
    RPR 133h OR 140h
    I thought he'd put up a big performance at Cheltenham in October but he was run off his feet. He's only a four-year-old but I think he's now ready for fences, so he's due to run in a novice chase over 2m3f or 2m4f. I'm sure he's a nice horse.

Switch Hitter
    5g Scorpion - Country Time
    Hills of Ledbury Ltd
    1/5-21
    RPR 125b
    He won his point-to-point on good ground, so similar conditions suited him when he won at Kempton last Monday. He'll win another race like that somewhere before going novice chasing next year. He's a good, fun horse.

Take Your Time
    5g Dubai Destination - Don't Be Bleu
    Owners Group 060
    1-31
    RPR 114h
    He won a point-to-point before joining us and then followed up a third over hurdles at Lingfield by winning at the same track last week. He'll stay three miles over hurdles before he goes chasing.

Tamaroc Du Mathan
    5g Poliglote - Thisbee Du Mathan
    Mrs Johnny de la Hey
    1/2057-
    RPR 133h OR 131h
    My plan is to run him in a novice handicap chase over the coming days. He was good enough to finish fifth behind Pic D'Orhy, not beaten far, in the Betfair Hurdle. I've been really pleased with the way he jumps fences and would say he's a novice chase winner waiting to happen.

Dark horse
    Threeunderthrufive
    5g Shantou - Didinas
    McNeill Family
    21-11
    RPR 132h
    A lovely horse. He went through our bumper system last season and is now novice hurdling, following up his Lingfield win at Ludlow, where he had to make the running, which wasn't ideal as he's still quite green. I don't think he wants the ground too deep. He's a smart 3m chaser in the making.

Thyme White
    4g Anodin - Jane
    The Stewart Family
    2210-1
    RPR 138h OR 141h
    He was very buzzy and keen when he first came over from France but he really thrived over the summer and improved physically, as he showed when winning at Chepstow last month. I'm confident he's going to win some nice races over hurdles this season but he's very much a future chaser and that will be his job in a year. We took him out of the Greatwood because of the ground but he may now run in the novice hurdle at Haydock on Saturday.

Tomorrow Mystery
    6m Nathaniel - Retake
    John P McManus
    22/11-13
    RPR 137h OR 138h
    She's always struggled with her breathing. On good ground at Newbury she made no noise whatsoever, but on ground that had been rained on overnight she choked all the way at Taunton. That just shows you the fine line horses with breathing problems have between being okay and not okay. We may recauterise her palate and then get her back in six to eight weeks. She'll jump a fence.

Truckers lodge
    8g Westerner - Galeacord
    Gordon & Su Hall
    24121-U
    RPR 158c OR 155c
    It was lovely to see him improve so much last season. He parted company with Lorcan up at Kelso, when he was travelling well on ground that wasn't really soft enough for him as he loves the mud. He's hard to place off 155 but we'll have him ready for the Ladbrokes Trophy just in case we get testing ground. If not, we'll wait for the Welsh National and then something at Haydock in the new year, but his main objective is the Grand National. He's already won a Midlands National and just been beaten in a Welsh National, so we know he stays and gallops, but he also has a touch of class.

Tulin
    3g Gleneagles - Talawat
    Elite Racing 001
    51 (Flat)
    He showed a great attitude to win on the Flat in France during the summer and he's taken well to jumping since joining us. With horses such as this it's hard to say much with any certainty until they've run, but we like what we've seen so far.

Viroflay
    3g Air Chief Marshal - Red Vixen
    The Stewart Family
    RPR 105h
    We took him to Kempton in October for a race in which he started favourite but he was really disappointing, leaving me to think we'd end up running him in some novice handicaps at the smaller tracks. Seven days after Kempton we tried again, this time at Wincanton, where I said to Bryony that based on his previous week's run he would have no chance, but he hosed up. After Kempton Andy texted me and said: "He's useless." After Wincanton he texted me and said: "He'll win the Triumph!" He isn't going to be a Triumph horse but he could possibly be one for the Fred Winter. I've got a feeling he'll keep improving.

Whiskey Lullaby
    5m Stowaway - Joie De Cotte
    Highclere Thoroughbred Racing - Whiskey
    22-2
    RPR 106h
    She was second last season to Nicky Henderson's good horse Gran Luna and when we took her to Ayr for her first run over hurdles on really soft ground she ran a race full of promise. She'll be winning mares' novice hurdles for fun.

Wild Max
    5g Maxios - Wildfahrte
    Owners Group 036
    114-41
    RPR 133h OR 132h
    He built on a promising return at Cheltenham to win a handicap at Huntingdon last week. I think he wants a flat track, so we may consider the Gerry Feilden next week.

Wise Glory
    3g Muhaarar - Bint Almukhtar
    Arron Banks
    211302 (Flat)
    RPR 91f 86f
    Megan has always liked this horse and bought him for us at the sales. He's already been flying up the hill here and seems to enjoy it. We need to get him schooled and into our system. After we've done that we can think about a juvenile hurdle over Christmas or in the spring.

Worthy Farm
    7g Beneficial - Muckle Flugga
    Yolo
    76112-3
    RPR 138c OR 135c
    He ran okay at Wincanton but pulled some muscles and came back a bit sore. We'll give him an entry in the Welsh National but before that there's a trial race at Chepstow on December 5, which should tell us if he's good enough to run in it. If he isn't, we'll go back to Wincanton for the race he won on Boxing Day last year. He really wants soft ground.

Yala Enki
    10g Nickname - Cadiane
    Hills of Ledbury Ltd
    7/0313-2
    RPR 164c OR 156c
    He's a legend, a tough, genuine horse who stays forever. Had the Grand National been staged this year he would have run in it and he'll be entered again. He has been grafting since July 1 because it takes an awful lot of work to get him fit. He ran an awesome race at Cheltenham on Sunday and I'm now thinking of going for the Becher Chase. If he goes well there I'll take him to the Grand National as a fresh horse, maybe via the Taunton race he won last season.

Young Buck
    6g Yeats - Pepsi Starlet
    The Stewart Family
    1/3-1
    RPR 134h OR 133h
    Andy Stewart has some lovely horses this season and this is another one. He's very much in the mould of Truckers Lodge, in that he gallops, stays and jumps. Following his win at Hereford I'll try to find another 3m novice hurdle and then decide if we should step him up in grade.

Zoran
    3c Invincible Spirit - Filia Regina
    Owners Group
    2-42214 (Flat)
    RPR 85f OR 81f
    A scopey, athletic colt who did well on the Flat, improving throughout the year. We'll geld him and then get him over hurdles after Christmas.

Two for the tracker

I love Bravemansgame and think he's got huge potential. He won really well last time and should be a nice horse to follow. I'd say exactly the same about Threeunderthrufive.

Expert view
    Has there ever been a better trainer of a chaser than Paul Nicholls? After 11 King George wins, six Champion Chases, four Gold Cups and a Grand National, if he isn't top of the tree then I don't know who is.

For the past few years he hasn't been quite as dominant in that sphere as he once was, but that didn't stop him winning the King George and Champion Chase last season and it would take a brave man to bet against him winning the big one at Kempton on Boxing Day again.

The dual winner Clan Des Obeaux is back for more but Cyrname is going to be a tougher nut to crack this year as he clearly wasn't himself after he'd beaten Altior at Ascot prior to Kempton.

Don't rule out Nicholls having the 1-2-3 because in Real Steel he has inherited a horse who looks tailormade for three miles around Kempton. Stop the video of last year's Gold Cup at two out and Real Steel looked sure to be involved in the finish.

The hugely admirable Politologue seemed to love the forcing ride Harry Skelton gave him in the Champion Chase and he will once again be underestimated, while it wouldn't be a huge surprise if recent Haldon Gold Cup winner Greaneteen improved into a legitimate candidate for that race too.

It's hard to know where to start when trying to pinpoint the next potential star among the young horses, although McFabulous is an obvious starting point. He looks to have real star quality about him.

Then there's Hitman, who couldn't have been more impressive when running away with a good novice chase on his debut for Nicholls recently, while Saint Sonnet ran a good deal better than the form book would suggest in the Paddy Power on Saturday. He will leave that form miles behind.

Don't for one minute underestimate the importance that Harry Cobden has had on the yard. He's the the nearest thing I've seen to Ruby Walsh in Britain for many years and the stable's conditional Bryan Carver isn't half bad too.

Dan Skelton has rapidly climbed the training ladder, to the point where he is now spoken of as a champion in waiting, and even if 2020 has been a strange time in racing, he's stayed focused on his route to the top.

"It's been a weird year," he concedes. "I had to turn a lot of horses out in the field in April and we didn't have the number of horses in for the summer that we had in the season when we got to 200 winners, but we've reshaped the team in favour of quality over quantity and I think our recent results have shown the benefit of that.

"It's vital to have the youngsters – bumper horses, novice hurdlers and novice chasers – coming through to keep pushing from the bottom up, and if you keep those drawers full of quality you'll be all right.

"You'd have to say Roksana, a horse we made from the beginning, is at the top now and we have horses like Third Time Lucki, Midnight River and Ashtown Lad, who we got out of a point-to-point the same as Shan Blue, so we've got greater strength than ever, including some smart National Hunt-bred three-year-olds, and we're looking forward to a good year."

Below he discusses a selection of horses picked out by our reporter.

Race in focus

Roksana is on her way to the top and the Long Walk Hurdle looks the perfect race for her.

Rival to watch

Envoi Allen looks a flying machine over fences.

Stable profile
    Yard Lodge Hill Farm
    Where Shelfield Green, Warwickshire
    Started training 2013
    Horses in yard 130
    Members of staff 50
    Assistant trainer Tom Messenger
    Head staff Tolley Dean, Joe Knox, Nick Pearce, Ed Austin, Amber Blythe
    Travelling head staff Phil Haywood, Hannah Haywood, Andy Gardner
    Jockeys Harry Skelton, Bridget Andrews
    Conditional William Marshall
    Amateurs George Cowley, Murray Dodd, Tristan Durrell, Saul Woods
    Racing secretary Ella Mahon
    Communications Lucinda Gould
    Finance director Grace Skelton
    Stable sponsor Ladbrokes
    Website danskeltonracing.com
    Twitter @DSkeltonRacing

Winners in Britain

2019-20 119
    2018-19 205
    2017-18 156
    2016-17 118
    2015-16 104

Profit/loss to £1 stake

2019-20 -£281.28
    2018-19 -£88.19
    2017-18 -£153.35
    2016-17 -£259.57
    2015-16 -£156.34

Prize-money 2019-20

£1,486,254

Horses

Across The Line
    Five-year-old gelding
    Fame And Glory (sire) - La Protagonista (dam)
    Owner: Craig and Laura Buckingham
    Form figures: 3-413
    Racing Post Rating RPR 120h Official rating -
    A horse I've always liked, he hacked up in a maiden hurdle over two miles at Hereford this month and I was a little frustrated with his third at Uttoxeter on Saturday, when we followed the favourite rather than doing our own thing. Next time we'll use his stride and open up a bit, because I know he's a lot better than that.

Aggy With It
    6m Presenting - Agathe Du Berlais
    Andy and Sharon Measham
    1/F7-211
    RPR 122h OR 122h
    She had a fall at the start of last year that put us on the back foot, but she's getting her act together and I think she'll be progressive now that we've stepped her up in trip. She comfortably won a novice hurdle at Taunton last time and I think there's plenty more to come.

Allmankind
    4g Sea The Moon - Wemyss Bay
    WJ and TCO Gredley
    1113-31
    RPR 150c OR 151c
    He enjoyed some real highlights last year and I went to Cheltenham for his reappearance over hurdles thinking I'd done a lot of work with him, but this year he's more relaxed than last and maybe he lulled us into thinking he was fitter than he really was. He then made a remarkable chasing debut at Warwick, having the confidence to stand off and get stuck into the fences. Now we'll keep him fresh and go for the Henry VIII Novices' Chase at Sandown on December 5.

Alnadam
    7g Poliglote - Rosadame
    Bryan Drew
    81441-2
    RPR 139c OR 129c
    I was very pleased with him on his novice chase debut over two and a half miles on heavy ground at Carlisle, where he ran into a good horse and they pulled well clear of the rest. He jumped well and there's plenty of improvement to come.

Amoola Gold
    7g Mamool - Aughamore Beauty
    Mr and Mrs Gordon Pink
    3725-11
    RPR 142c OR 138c
    I was very happy with him winning a Listed handicap chase last month because he's taken a long time to mature mentally and we've had to be very patient. He's clearly got big performances in him from two to two and a half miles and I think slightly better ground than at Ascot would suit him even better. He'll either go to Ascot again this weekend or to Newbury a week later, and while I'm delighted with how he's progressing over fences, he's still a novice over hurdles so we could have a go at that one day.

Antunes
    6g Nathaniel - Aigrette Garzette
    Mark Adams
    32/1P7-2
    RPR 139c OR 132c
    He bumped into a good one at Bangor first time out this season and already looks better as a chaser than as a hurdler. As a very big horse I think he should come on for that and win plenty of decent races.

Ardlethen
    7g Arakan - Itsafamilyaffair
    Mike and Eileen Newbould
    23520-5
    RPR 145c OR 138c
    He ran a really nice race at Carlisle last time, when he couldn't win at the weights. I always felt last year there was a bit of unfinished business with him in a lot of good novice chases and I think he can land a big pot.

Ashtown Lad
    6g Flemensfirth - Blossom Trix
    Darren and Annaley Yates
    3/217-21
    RPR 119h OR 123h
    He stepped forward from his first run of the season to win a soft-ground novice hurdle at Wetherby last month. He's a massive horse, a chaser in the making, but we'll make a nice hurdler of him in the meantime.

Aux Ptits Soins
    10g Saint Des Saints - Reflexion Faites
    John Hales
    8/5171/5-
    RPR 155h OR 157h
    He won a Grade 3 handicap hurdle at Aintree for us in April 2019 and was beaten only four lengths on his last run, in a Grade 1 at Punchestown. I'll run him in the Ladbrokes Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury at the end of the month and we'll make a plan from there, but there are still good races to be won with him.

Bennys King
    9g Beneficial - Hellofafaithful
    Mezzone Family
    1/6152-5
    RPR 154c OR 147c
    He had a good year last year and just needed the run when fifth in a handicap chase at Aintree over two and a half miles. Anything up to two miles and six on slow ground is his cup of tea, and he could be getting better.

Blaklion
    11g Kayf Tara - Franciscaine
    Darren and Annaley Yates
    BP/085/0
    RPR 166c OR 145c
    He ran a bit of a stop-start race on his first run for us at Ascot last month [after a 623-day break], jumped a bit left-handed and showed a bit of ring-rust. It was good to get him started, though, and now he'll go to the Becher Chase at Aintree on December 5. With the handicapper having dropped him 4lb, I think he can still be a competitor.

Cadzand
    5g Stowaway - Queens Mark
    Chelsea Thoroughbreds - Cadzand
    1/32-2
    RPR 117h OR -
    The ground went too soft for him in a race that wasn't run to suit him at Ayr last time and I'd say he's a winner without a penalty. He runs at Warwick on Wednesday and it'll take a fair one to beat him.

Ch'tibello
    9g Sageburg - Neicha
    The Can’t Say No Partnership
    13/353-2
    RPR 158h OR 154h
    He ran a really good race when runner-up on his reappearance at Aintree, coming there very strongly but not staying on quite as well as the winner from the last. Now we'll regroup and keep it simple, go to the International at Cheltenham, a race he was third in last year.

Destrier
    7g Voix Du Nord - Razia
    Three Celts
    113/365-
    RPR 157c OR 149c
    He was third in a Grade 1 novice chase at Aintree and in the Haldon Gold Cup last year but he's had a niggle and won't be out until the new year. He'll definitely win a good race.

Don Poli
    11g Poliglote - Dalamine
    Darren and Annaley Yates
    0/P110-4
    RPR 168c OR 130c
    He's a big, heavy horse who takes a bundle of getting fit, and I was encouraged by his reappearance fourth on soft ground at Aintree, where he just got tired late on. He'll go to Haydock next time over three and a half miles and I think there's still a fire burning in him.

Elle Est Belle
    4f Fame And Glory - Katalina
    Mrs Suzanne Lawrence
    RPR 120b OR -
    She'd worked well but you still don't expect to see anything quite as special as she showed in winning on her debut in a bumper at Aintree, a run she followed up when dead-heating at Cheltenham at the weekend. We ended up getting there a bit soon, but the first two pulled well clear from the last and I was very pleased. You won't see her again until the new year.

Emmas Joy
    7m Gold Well - Emma Jane
    Julian Howl and Ian Tyrrell
    152117-
    RPR 135h OR 135h
    She was a very good hurdler and as a chaser she could be even better. She had a little setback in the autumn but now she looks fantastic and will probably start around Christmas. She has size and heart and will love a fence.

Faivoir
    5g Coastal Path - Qape Noir
    Mrs Suzanne Lawrence
    211-214
    RPR 129h OR 128h
    I was astounded when he got beat at Uttoxeter on his seasonal debut in a novice hurdle, but I'd say he's one of those light, lean horses you assume are fit at home because of the way they look. The Cheltenham race he won after that may not have been the most competitive, and he didn't pick up quite as well as I hoped at Sandown last time, but that was real soft ground. I still hope he can start to climb the ladder as a hurdler.

Flash The Steel
    8g Craigsteel - Anna’s Melody
    John J Reilly
    15/1090-2
    RPR 141h OR 141h
    He won the Silver Trophy Handicap Hurdle at Chepstow over two and a half miles last October and I then made a bit of a mess of things by running him over three at Haydock, but then who wouldn't have done that given the way he was shaping? He ran well when hampered at the last in the Martin Pipe at the Cheltenham Festival and came back this season with a good run in second back in the Silver Trophy, where two and a half looked the limit of his stamina. We'll probably go to a handicap at Newbury's Ladbrokes meeting with him, with a view to going chasing at some stage. He's a solid handicapper at the top level and jumps a fence well at home.

Flegmatik
    5g Fuisse - Crack D'Emble
    N W Lake
    3/203-15
    RPR 131c OR 130c
    He wasn't all that productive over hurdles, which I suppose shouldn't have come as a surprise given his size, but I was impressed with him when he won on his chasing debut at Carlisle on good ground. Everything went wrong for him at Sandown next time, where he was twice nearly brought down by fallers. There's a nice race for him at Ascot over Christmas.

Hatcher
    7g Doyen - African Keys
    P H Betts
    1601-17
    RPR 150c OR 143c
    I was a bit disappointed with him at Cheltenham on his reappearance but it was the first time he'd been on a track like that and maybe the undulations didn't suit him. He's been a wonderful horse for us already but we need to get him back sparkling, maybe on a flat track, in the better races at Doncaster or Aintree. He wouldn't want the ground too soft.

I'd Better Go Now
    7g Alkaadhem - Pohutakawa
    Noel Fehily Racing Syndicates
    7/161-10
    RPR 125 OR 125
    He won well in a 3m handicap hurdle at Perth first time up but didn't handle the undulations at Cheltenham next time. We'll get him back on a flat track and start thinking about novice chases before too long. He'll win plenty of races.

Interconnected
    6g Network - R De Rien Sivola
    Darren and Annaley Yates
    F1/2/
    RPR 135h OR -
    He came to us with a big price tag and a lot of publicity, but he had a little injury in training last year and we've given him plenty of time because he's a gorgeous big horse. He's just started back and he'll be out in the new year in a couple of hurdles, but he's going to be a lovely chaser when the right time comes.

Lakota Warrior
    4g Valirann - Talkin Madam
    2- (point-to-point form)
    RPR 89p
    A lovely horse who came to us from the Irish point-to-point field. He'll be ready to go in a couple of weeks and will do well as a hurdler at two and a half miles upwards, but you'll really see the best of him as a chaser.

Midnight River
    5g Midnight Legend - Well Connected
    Frank McAleavy
    33-12
    RPR 134h OR 135h
    We looked after him last year but he kept on well to win at Uttoxeter on his seasonal debut and I thought he jumped beautifully next time at Cheltenham for a horse with so little experience, only getting outgunned late on by a horse with an extra gear. I wouldn't mind taking on anybody on slightly slower ground and I think he can take high rank as a hurdler, but you'll see him at his best as a chaser next year.

Mohaayed
    8g Intikhab - Reyaada
    Mrs June Watts
    0990-42
    RPR 151h OR 141h
    A real pleasure to have around the yard, he's a County Hurdle winner who has won some very good two-mile contests for us but ran well in a 2m4f handicap on soft ground at Aintree on his reappearance, staying on well, then backed that up with a good run in second over just beyond three miles at the same track. He retains his enthusiasm and he looks the perfect horse for the Pertemps Final, which the owners sponsor. He'll go to Cheltenham on December 11 for a 3m handicap hurdle and then we'll plot a course for the festival.

Dark horse
    My Drogo
    5g Milan - My Petra
    Mr and Mrs R Kelvin-Hughes
    RPR 122b OR -
    He looked promising when second in a Cheltenham bumper on his only run and looks the real deal. He's a beautiful, imposing horse, relaxed well and came home strongly, and he'll start his hurdling career at the Ladbrokes Trophy meeting at Newbury next week.

No Getaway
    7g Getaway - Nonnetia
    Dick, Keenan, Sawer and Stevenson
    842/192-
    RPR 127h OR 126h
    He's a half-brother to Grand National winner One For Arthur and will go chasing this year. We were very and patient with him as a hurdler, because he's been a slow learner, but I hope his owner will be rewarded for that in time.

Northofthewall
    6g Mahler - Sherchanceit
    Winter Gold Racing
    1611-4F
    RPR 147c OR 133c
    A very smart horse in the making, he was in the process of running a big race at Aintree last time when he came down two out, jumping the fence well but not quite getting his landing gear down. Luckily he's been fine since and we'll just take our time getting him back on to the track, because there's a nice race to be won with him. A step up to three miles in time wouldn't frighten him and he'd be fine on most ground, although he wouldn't want it heavy.

Nube Negra
    6g Dink - Manly Dream
    T Spraggett
    36/1122-
    RPR 153c OR 152c
    He'll have a slightly later start to the season this year and go fresh to the Desert Orchid Chase at Kempton over Christmas. He was a very good novice chaser last year but he never got the chance to run in a good race under his best conditions, over two miles on good or good to soft ground on a speed track. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the spring when he's got everything in his favour.

Oldgrangewood
    9g Central Park - Top Of The Class
    Chris Giles and Sandra Giles
    33114-4
    RPR 151c OR 147c
    We wanted a good pace in the Old Roan Chase but didn't get it, so we had to kick on and that made us the target for the others. I'm encouraged by his consistency though, so he'll go to Newbury at the end of the month, where he'll have a decent chance, after which we'll look at all the races he ran in last year. I'm sure he'll win when things are right for him.

Percy's Word
    6g Sir Percy - Laverre
    Mezzone Family
    2/230
    RPR 121h OR 123h
    He looked progressive going into his last outing at Bangor, but that run was a backward step on very bad going. I was a bit disappointed with him at Cheltenham last week as well, but I don't think we've seen him even half at his best yet. Maybe he hadn't quite got over his Bangor run, so we'll give him a month off, find him some slightly better ground and he'll go very close next time.

Proschema
    5g Declaration Of War - Notable
    Empire State Racing Partnership
    314-2P
    RPR 135 OR 131
    He ran really well at Wetherby first time up but at Cheltenham at the weekend he told us that he doesn't like really soft ground. I believe there's a big day in him on a better surface.

Protektorat
    5g Saint Des Saints - Protektion
    Sir A Ferguson, G Mason, J Hales and L Hales
    2130-11
    RPR 160c OR 149c
    He still had an awful lot to learn and was always a bit keen, so he needed his second season as a hurdler, but the benefit of that was obvious on his chasing debut over two miles at Carlisle, where he really pleased me in winning comfortably, and I was super happy with the way he won at Cheltenham last week. He jumped really nicely on the good to soft ground and we can draw on that ability whenever we want – we don't have to go straight back there. Although he'll get three miles in time, I'll stick at two and a half for the moment. We'll have a good think about where to send him next because on that evidence he could be a star in the making.

Real Stone
    5g Arvico - Stoney Path
    Mrs S C Welch
    7-1
    RPR 128h OR -
    He went off at 50-1 for a maiden hurdle on soft ground at Aintree on his return, but although he'd been a slow learner at home he'd shown a bit of ability, so his win wasn't a complete surprise. Harry [Skelton] said he was holding his hand through the race because he was so green and babyish, but then he turned up at the last with plenty left. He's still unfurnished and has plenty of improvement in him physically.

Riggs
    5g Mahler - Cousin Kizzy
    Noel Fehily Racing Syndicates
    642-6
    RPR 114h OR 115h
    He went well in a competitive Ascot novice handicap on only his third run over hurdles and there will be a lot of improvement to come. He'll go for a middle-distance handicap in about three weeks, with ground no worry, but he'll really come into his own over fences.

Roksana
    8m Dubai Destination - Talktothetail
    Mrs Sarah Faulks
    2/2524-1
    RPR 156h OR 153h
    She'd had her doubters so it was nice to get a good victory under her belt at Wetherby last month, with what was an impressive performance to the eye, even if perhaps others in the race will improve a fair bit. Last year she was carrying a Class 1 penalty and was the best horse at the weights a couple of times without winning, but she's always been a high-quality mare. I think you'd have to say that her best performances have been over three miles and she's got improvement in her over that trip, so that's the route we'll go down. She went back to her owner for a short break to freshen her up for the Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot on December 19, although I'll enter her at Leopardstown over Christmas just in case travel restrictions ease. The Long Walk is the main target, though, and if she runs well there, then maybe we'll be drawn down the Cheltenham route, but the owner isn't all about the festival and if we felt it was right to go fresh to Aintree then that's what we'd do.

Star quality

Shan Blue
    6g Shantou - Lady Roberta
    Colm Donlon
    1326-11
    RPR 156c OR 152c
    I always believed he'd be a really good chaser but his two runs over fences this season have been a revelation. He's looked a natural in winning twice at Wetherby, first over two and a half miles and then over three, so at the moment we're looking to go to the Kauto Star Novices' Chase, and with that in mind he'll probably go to Huntingdon on December 6 to get him spot on for Kempton on Boxing Day. It's a tough route to go down but from what we've seen so far, there will be plenty of people who won't be all that keen to take him on.

Shannon Bridge
    7g Flemensfirth - Bridgequarter Lady
    M Boothright, G Lovett and P Deffains
    3P1F-0P
    RPR 138c OR 132c
    He's a lazy character who takes a bit of stoking, but although his pulled-up effort over three miles at Bangor last time was disappointing, I think that may have been down to the trip, so we'll drop him back in distance and I still think he's got a nice race in him.

Spiritofthegames
    8g Darsi - Lucy Walters
    N W Lake
    P0226-2
    RPR 154c OR 148c
    He's a fixture in a lot of the good 2m4f handicap chases and he produced another brilliant run off his high mark in the Paddy Power Gold Cup at the weekend. He'll miss the December meeting at Cheltenham and go back there on New Year's Day, when I hope he can finally get the big win he deserves.

Third Time Lucky
    5g Arcadio - Definite Valley
    Mike and Eileen Newbould
    114-112
    RPR 131h OR 129h
    A very good bumper horse who really pleased me in winning his first two races over hurdles. He kind of handled the soft ground when runner-up at Cheltenham on Sunday – when he had was unsuited by having to go and chase the all-the-way winner – but he'd be a lot happier on a better surface. He's learned a lot from his three quick runs and he hurdles well, but he's very much a chaser.

West To The Bridge
    7g Flemensfirth - Godlylady
    J Tierney
    P175-21
    RPR 142h OR 140h
    I was amazed I never won a bumper with him, but he's always been free-going, he still sweats a bit at the start, and maybe he's just taken time to get the hang of things. I was pleased with his Uttoxeter second over three miles on good to soft ground, which I thought was a very good start to the season, and it was no surprise to me that he won at Carlisle over two and a half on heavy, so now he'll go to the Grade 3 stayers' handicap hurdle at Haydock on Friday. Hopefully this is the start of what he's really capable of.

Wilde About Oscar
    5g Oscar - Baie Barbara
    Mike and Eileen Newbould
    214-11
    RPR 132 OR 115
    He's very talented and likes to get his sleeves rolled up. He was very green over the first few hurdles at Uttoxeter on his reappearance but got the job done well, and it was no surprise to me the way he won at Aintree next time, pulling clear by 16 lengths. I think he'd have no problem dropping back to two miles on proper soft ground and we'll look at the Challow or the Tolworth and then pick his race for the spring. I think there's plenty of potential there.

Wild Romance
    5m Kalanisi - Aboo Lala
    Masomo
    2-12
    RPR 128h OR -
    She got on top late in a decent mares' hurdle at Warwick and ran a lovely race in a Grade 2 novice hurdle at Cheltenham last week. She was a bit green coming down the hill but then flew up it and I was delighted with the way she finished her race off. The form looks strong and I think she's got a big future. I'm not sure where we go next but she can easily make her mark in novice mares' Graded company and she'll be a real prospect when she goes over fences.

Juveniles

We've got ten or so juveniles and we've already had one winner in Cabot Cliffs (3g Gleneagles - Hallouella), who went on to be third in a Wetherby Listed race, then a good fourth under a front-running ride at Cheltenham on Saturday, and is open to a lot of improvement on a flat track, especially on really soft ground. Among the unraced ones are Ambassador, a decent stayer on the Flat; and two new recruits, John Locke (3g Mastercraftsman - Sacred Shield) and Shake A Leg (3g Excelebration - Sos Brilliante), who both look tailormade for hurdling.

Bumper horses

I've been very encouraged with how our bumper horses have been going. Quid Pro Quo's (4g Beat Hollow - Thieving Gypsy) success from a good horse of Paul Nicholls' at Hereford delighted me, as did Cousu Main (4g Buck's Boum - Just Pegasus) with his second at Uttoxeter, and Global Famenglory (4f Fame And Glory - Noble Pearl) who has improved a lot at home since her debut fourth at Uttoxeter. Greatest Star's (4g Lord Du Sud - Sacree Mome) Warwick bumper is working out well; Jay Jay Reilly (4g Fame And Glory - Garden City) went nicely at Wincanton last time although he looks a 2m4f to 3m chaser in the long term; and Jersey (4g Presenting - Synthe Davis) is a beautiful big horse who is going to be a chaser but has already run well in an Ascot bumper.

Two for the tracker

Northofthewall should make huge strides as he gains experience and goes up in trip, while Wild Romance is a classy mare who will thrive as the season goes on.

Expert view
    For so long, the trainers' championship was dominated by Paul Nicholls and Nicky Henderson. Although their rivalry has been exciting and exhilarating over the years, the division has been crying out for a young gun to come and challenge at the top of the standings. Step forward Dan Skelton.

Skelton began his training career in 2013 and rapidly progressed into a leading light in jump racing, so much so that he broke the 200-winner barrier two years ago.

It was more quantity over quality that campaign with much of that total amassed during the summer months, but Skelton has since worked tirelessly to build a team of horses capable of striking on the big stage and bridge the prize-money gap with his aforementioned foes for top spot.

His team is headed by Roksana, one of just two Grade 1 winners for the yard. That came in the Mares' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival in March 2019, albeit after clear leader Benie Des Dieux capsized at the last flight.

Nevertheless, she has proved on multiple occasions that she can compete at the top level and sauntered through the soft ground at Wetherby on her return. Aintree might be the best target for her in April.

Other promising hurdlers in the yard include Aggy With It, Ashdown Lad, Midnight River and Wilde About Oscar, all of whom could easily make up into bona fide Grade 1 performers.

One horse who may already be at that level is Protektorat, who has romped home on his first two chasing starts at Carlisle and Cheltenham and jumps with unlimited exuberance, which is always great to see from a young prospect.

He achieved a Racing Post Rating of 160 when bolting up on Friday and surely it's just a matter of time before he gets his chance at the top level.

Similar plans may be in the offing for Northofthewall, who is yet to achieve anything like the same level of form at Protektorat but jumped beautifully before diving at the second-last at Aintree recently and is open to plenty of improvement when upped to three miles.

David Pipe spent a week in hospital recently with rib and spleen injuries after being kicked by a horse, but he's on the mend now and very much looking forward to the November meeting at Cheltenham this weekend, which has been targeted successfully by the family for decades.

Pipe, in good form with seven winners in the last fortnight, hopes to be well represented at the meeting once again, including with new recruit Siruh Du Lac in the Paddy Power Gold Cup.

He also has plenty to look forward to in the months beyond, although almost inevitably one or two of the stable's big names are sidelined, among them unfortunately Israel Champ.

While he hasn't topped the 100-winner mark since doing so for the sixth time in 2014-15, there were encouraging signs last season, when the stable's 64 winners before Covid-19 prematurely stopped play was a big step back in the right direction.

Race in focus

Haydock's Betfair Best Odds On ITV Races Stayers' Handicap Hurdle – the Fixed Brush Hurdle as it will always be to us here – is a race I've always liked, having won it with Dynaste, Grands Crus and Gevrey Chambertin. I've entered five this time, including Duc De Beauchene, Kepagge and Main Fact.

Rival to watch

An obvious one, but Envoi Allen was tremendously impressive the other day at Down Royal on his chasing debut and he looks the real deal.

Stable profile
    Yard Pond House Stables, Nicholashayne, Wellington, Somerset
    Started training 2006
    Horses in yard 85
    Members of staff 35
    Assistant trainers Martin Pipe, Gerry Supple
    Head lad Oliver Defew
    Barn leaders Martin Ayliffe, Ali Galliers-Pratt
    Travelling head lads Craig Wylie, Bob Hodge
    Jockeys Tom Scudamore, David Noonan
    Conditional Fergus Gillard
    Amateurs Martin McIntyre, Sean O’Connor
    PAs Gail Harrison, Gemma Edwards, James Smith
    Lab Esther Salter (technician), Barry Allen (advisor)
    Gallops team Mike Broom
    Stable sponsor W & S Recycling
    Website davidpipe.com
    Twitter @DavidPipeRacing

Winners in Britain

2019-20 64
    2018-19 44
    2017-18 33
    2016-17 59
    2015-16 80

Profit/loss to £1 stake

2019-20 +0.60
    2018-19 -66.42
    2017-18 -113.51
    2016-17 -194.09
    2015-16 -111.92

Total prize-money 2019-20

£734,090

Adagio
    Three-year-old gelding
    Wiener Walzer (sire) - Aspidistra (dam)
    Owner: Bryan Drew And Friends / Prof C Tisdall
    Form figures: 1
    Racing Post Rating 114h Official Rating -

There were a lot of claims in for him after he won very easily at Clairefontaine in August, so we were lucky to get him. We gelded him and he schooled nicely before his hurdles debut at Warwick on Friday, when he travelled well and picked up to beat the right horses. He's entered at Cheltenham at the weekend.

Brinkley
    5g Martaline - Royale Majesty
    Brocade Racing
    731-
    RPR 131h OR 130h

He ran only once for us last season, putting up a lovely performance at Newbury in February. He's had a wind op since and will probably be out in December. He's a real strong galloper and three miles ought to be fine for him.

Bumpy Johnson
    4g Imperial Monarch - Country Flora
    Brocade Racing
    F-1
    RPR 109b

He'd gone nicely at home before running in a bumper at Fontwell last month and won impressively there. He looks a nice youngster and he'll probably go hurdling.

Dell' Arca
    11g Sholokov - Daisy Belle
    Prof Caroline Tisdall
    3-73611
    RPR 154h OR 131h

He's an absolute star and has won both starts this season under Fergus Gillard. He'd obviously dropped down the handicap and life will get tougher now. He probably finds hurdles a bit easier than fences and I don't think he wants it too soft as he finds it hard work nowadays.

Duc De Beauchene
    7g Saddler Maker - Quatia D'Angron
    JP McManus
    12/0174-
    RPR 131h OR 128h

He was very impressive at Cheltenham last November. He never built on it for some reason, but he's a big, strong, powerful horse who is looking very well and seems in good form. I'd imagine he'll stick to hurdles for now and he's not far off a run.

Eden Du Houx
    6g Irish Wells - Maralypha
    Prof Caroline Tisdall
    24134-0
    RPR 133h OR 130h RPR 119c OR 130c

He did very well in bumpers but didn't do quite as well as we hoped in novice hurdles. He started over fences at Uttoxeter and jumped very nicely before finishing tired. Scu [Tom Scudamore] thought he was very professional.

First Lord De Cuet
    6g Lord Du Sud - Alyce
    Potter, Pipe and Pete
    /4120-32
    RPR 128h OR 126

It looked like he came to win his race at Sandown on Sunday but he knuckled on landing two out and the winner maybe got first run on him. We may try cheekpieces next time. I hope there's a nice race in him.

Dark horse

Gericault Roque
    4g Montmartre - Nijinska Delaroque
    Prof Caroline Tisdall and Bryan Drew
    4-2
    RPR 102b

He ran with a lot of promise when second on his first run for us in a bumper at Newton Abbot last month, staying on strongly. He's had a wind op since then and could go hurdling now.

Induno
    6g Flemensfirth - Vast Consumption
    RA Bartlett
    2/113-
    RPR 121h OR 115h

He's had a nice long break since Boxing Day, when he wasn't right, and he's entered at Cheltenham this weekend. He's a good work horse and I think he's on a workable mark. He's quite versatile ground-wise.

Kepagge
    6 g Getaway - Miracle Lady
    Mrs Sarah Ling
    F/111-
    RPR 135h OR 137h

He won a bumper and his two novice hurdles last season, although he did his best to get himself beaten at Leicester at 2-9 when he lost his confidence. He's a lovely big, strong horse and may go chasing before long, but he'll start over hurdles at Cheltenham or Haydock.

Ladykiller
    4g Kamsin - Lady Jacamira
    Prof Caroline Tisdall and Bryan Drew
    RPR 106h

He had decent form on the Flat in Germany and he jumped well and travelled well at Southwell on his hurdling debut before finding little. He works very nicely, so hopefully it was just his wind, which has since been attended to.

Leoncavallo
    8g Cape Cross - Nafura
    ValueRacingClub.co.uk
    05/824-1
    RPR 147h 147c OR 143h 142c

A really tough and versatile character who is effective on the Flat, over hurdles and over fences. He ran another terrific race in the Cesarewitch last time. He's having a break now but will be ready to run again in February or March.

Maggies Mogul
    4f Valirann - Grangeclare Gold
    The Angove Family
    1-4
    RPR 94b

She won her only point-to-point in Ireland and made her bumper debut at Ffos Las, where we were probably too forceful on her. She's a nice mare with a good attitude and better than she showed there.

Star quality

Main Fact
    7g Blame - Reflections
    Munrowd's Partnership
    /311111-
    RPR 150h OR 147h

He did fantastically well over hurdles last season and when he came back from a break he was potentially very well treated on the Flat, although it doesn't always work out. We got lucky with the weather, as soft ground is very important to him because of the way he races, and he won three times in 12 days to make it eight straight wins overall since January. He'll now go hurdling again and it will obviously be harder now. He does take a lot of getting cherry-ripe as he's quite a burly horse. He's entered in the Greatwood but it would need to be soft over two miles. He's also in at Haydock next week over three miles, which is unknown territory, but it's an easy track and he runs as though he'll stay.

Make Me A Believer
    5g Presenting - Kiltiernan Robin
    Prof C Tidsall & Jane Gerard-Pearse
    F/1-2
    RPR 113b RPR 113h

He put up a good effort in winning a bumper at Chepstow last October but picked up an injury and then Covid intervened. He ran a very nice race over hurdles at Lingfield on his return when he was only beaten by a very good horse in Bear Ghylls and he's had a wind op since then. He's got loads of ability and will make a lovely three-mile chaser one day.

Martinhal
    5g Westerner - Gweedara
    Mrs Lynne Maclennan
    F1-44
    RPR 123b RPR 109h

He put up a nice performance when winning a bumper at Huntingdon last season but hasn't finished off either of his races over hurdles this season, which is frustrating. He'll probably go for a wind op now. I'm sure there's more to come from him.

Meep Meep Mag
    6m Getaway - Deadly Pursuit
    M Lambert & Mrs R White
    31321-
    RPR 108b

She picked up an injury when winning her bumper at Sedgefield and hasn't run since, but she's getting there now and will be going novice hurdling. She's got a great attitude.

New Age Dawning
    6g Stowaway - Captain Supreme
    Brocade Racing
    2/121/
    RPR 130h OR 133h

He won a bumper and a novice hurdle two seasons ago but suffered a leg injury and missed last season. He's probably a month or so off a run but if he stays in one piece he'll make a lovely three-mile chaser.

Night Edition
    4g Authorized - Night Serenade
    Stuart & Simon Mercer & John Gent
    4212-
    RPR 132h OR 135h

He did well as a juvenile and ended with a good second at Cheltenham in the Boodles. He's not overbig, but he's grown a bit during his break so hopefully there's more to come. He'll be aimed at some of the big handicap hurdles and could start at Ascot before Christmas.

Panic Attack
    4f Canford Cliffs - Toto Corde Meo
    Bryan Drew
    10-21
    RPR 115h OR 119h

She ran well against a good mare until tiring at Huntingdon on her hurdling debut, and then we dropped her back in trip and rode her more forcefully when she won at Uttoxeter. She's hopefully on a workable mark and is entered for the novice handicap at Cheltenham on Friday.

Ramses De Teillee
    8 g Martaline - Princesse D'Orton
    John White & Anne Underhill
    /14110-5
    RPR 150h OR 149h RPR 158c OR 149c

He's been a great horse for us and it's hard to believe he's only eight. He's going to be harder to place this season but he ran a decent race at Auteuil last month and could go to Cheltenham at the weekend if it's soft enough. After that it will be the Becher and the Welsh National, and he has options over hurdles again.

Remastered
    7g Network - Cathodine Cayras
    Brocade Racing
    52P33-1
    RPR 134h OR 132h RPR 137c OR 132c

He's a real galloper who was always going to be a better chaser than a hurdler. He made a great start over fences in what looked a tricky little novice at Carlisle on Monday as he jumped extremely well and battled back when headed. He goes well fresh, but he'll hopefully back it up and is the sort who might end up in the National Hunt Chase at Cheltenham. He needs the cheekpieces just to help him out in the later stages.

Siruh Du Lac
    7g Turgeon - Margerie
    /1111/PF-
    RPR 154c OR 150c

His form is all in the book and anyone can see he's a very good horse and a lovely addition to the stable. He had a horrible fall at Cheltenham and came to us not long afterwards, so he's had a long summer break. He's got to improve to win off his mark, but he's working like a nice horse and we're leaning towards the Paddy Power. I'm sure he'll be trying three miles at some stage this season as he gives the impression he's an out-and-out galloper.

Thinking
    5g So You Think - Laetoli
    Nick Shutts
    1/
    OR 132h

He won his only hurdle race in France two years ago but hasn't run since, although he was ready just before lockdown started. He's a big, strong individual and a real galloper who will get two and a half miles. He's in the Greatwood but would need soft ground.

Umbrigado
    6g Stowaway - Dame O'Neill
    116/560-
    RPR 141h OR 139h

He had a slightly frustrating time last season, but he ran well at Haydock, then wasn't quick enough for two miles next time, and finally wasn't beaten far in my dad's race at Cheltenham. He's a strong traveller who has plenty of ability. He'll probably be sticking to hurdles.

Vieux Lion Rouge
    11g Sabiango - Indecise
    Prof Caroline Tisdall & John Gent
    0/1997-5
    RPR 141h OR132h RPR 160c OR 140c

He's been a great horse for the yard, running in four Nationals and four Becher Chases. He's had a blowout in a veterans' chase and he's now going back to Aintree again for the Becher, which he won in 2016. He's not getting any younger, but he looks a million dollars and is back down to a workable mark again.

Bumper horses

We did well with our bumper horses last season and we've had a nice winner already in Bumpy Johnson. Hopefully there are some more winners to come and worth mentioning at this stage are the four-year-olds Astigar, who is by No Risk at All and came to us from Colin Bowe, and Barrier Peaks, who came from Sam Curling and is a little further away from a run. I also like a nice unnamed Shirocco four-year-old, who came from Tony Costello and is a bit backward still, and a three-year-old by Kapgarde who was bought privately by Tom Malone and looks promising.

Two for the tracker

Gericault Roque should pay his way this season, probably over hurdles. New Age Dawning picked up a leg injury but is doing lots of work and should be worth following over hurdles or fences.

Expert view
    The yard has some very interesting horses entered at Cheltenham this week, including Kepagge and Thinking.

Kepagge looks set to go handicapping after just two small-field novice successes so is a complete unknown. His entries include the 3m and 2m5f handicap hurdles on Saturday and the former is a race Pipe won with Grands Crus, who went on to land the Fixed Brush Hurdle at Haydock before running second to Big Buck's in the Stayers' Hurdle.

He is definitely one to keep an eye on, as is Thinking, who thrashed the now 124-rated chaser Yccs Portocervo in a hurdle in France in 2018 and has not been seen since. He's entered in the Greatwood, a race Pipe took with stable stalwart Dell' Arca seven years ago on his first run in Britain.

Two chasers to definitely keep an eye out for are Remastered and
    Eden Du Houx.

Remastered may need the cheekpieces to keep him up to his work, but he looked very professional when off the mark at Carlisle on Monday and he was beating a pair who were rated considerably higher than him over hurdles. There is a decent staying pot in him sometime in the future.

Eden Du Houx is a horse I've always liked so it is pleasing to hear that it was just a case of getting tired first time out when he was well beaten at Uttoxeter last month.

He ran a couple of excellent races in big-field handicap hurdles in open company as a novice last season, finishing third at Ascot and fourth to McFabulous at Kempton, and I'm sure at some point he will leave a mark of 130 well behind.

There may be more quantity in Jessica Harrington's Flat artillery, but don't underestimate the quality that rests in her jumping battalion.

The 2020-21 campaign promises to be a fruitful one for the Commonstown team as they go to war with a squad of roughly 50 National Hunt performers, boasting a mix of proven Graded operators and up-and-coming youngsters.

The prolific Magic Of Light is back and apparently better than ever as she builds towards her bid to go one better than her second in the 2019 Randox Health Grand National.

Three-time Grade 1 winner Supasundae also returns to the fray and will aim to collect another top-level hurdling prize this term, while the fellow Potts-owned Sizing Pottsie and promising hurdler Jungle Junction have the potential to make their presence felt in high-quality events.

The impressive victories for Crosshill and Ever Present, who provided Harrington with a Punchestown double last Wednesday, could be a sign of things to come with the younger brigade of potential stars coming through.

Stable facts
    Yard Commonstown Stud
    Where Moone, County Kildare
    Started training 1989
    National Hunt horses in yard 50
    Assistant trainer/head groom Eamonn Leigh
    Assistant trainer Kate Harrington
    Travelling head groom Niall Amond
    Assistant travelling head Esme Cooke
    Yard managers Nigel Byrne, Matt Crosse, Adrien Bolger, Martina Kearns, Rory Nolan
    Jockeys Robbie Power, Paddy Kennedy, Sean O'Keeffe, Finny Maguire, Cian Cullinan, Mikey McGuane
    Secretaries Sue Wilson, Sean Crowe, Ally Couchman
    Office managers Emma Galway, Richie Galway
    Twitter @Jessica_Racing

Winners over jumps in Ireland
    2019-20 25
    2018-19 47
    2017-18 38
    2016-17 48

Profit/loss to €1 stake
    2019-20 -€131.08
    2018-19 -€24.39
    2017-18 -€211.75
    2016-17 -€121.84

Total prize-money 2019-20
    €491,073

Ashdale Bob
    Five-year-old gelding
    Shantou (sire) - Ceol Rua (dam)
    Owner: Diarmuid Horgan
    Form figures: 435-
    Racing Post Rating: 129 (hurdles); Official rating -
    He's a lovely horse who had a couple of very good runs on his first two starts before things went against him. I think he's got a lot stronger this year.

Crosshill
    5g Sholokhov - Rathvawn Belle
    R A Bartlett
    9-1
    RPR 133h
    He won really nicely at Punchestown on his first start over hurdles, which was great to see. I know it was a very strong bumper that he ran in on his debut at Fairyhouse but I was disappointed because I thought he'd win that day. Hopefully he'll end up in the Albert Bartlett at Cheltenham come the end of the season.

Star quality
    Discordantly
    6g Salutino - Collinstown Queen
    The Oddfellows Partnership
    F5F14-1
    RPR 146c OR 142c
    He went up 10lb for winning at Galway the other day and his aim is the Irish Grand National. The softer the ground the better for him – he's a brilliant jumper and keeps galloping. We'll look towards races like the Troytown and the Paddy Power.

Emily Moon
    6m Beneficial - Wood Lily
    Mrs P Myerscough
    56413-3
    RPR 134h 134c OR 129h
    It was great for her to some black type over hurdles last time, having got some over fences at Thurles last season. The plan is for her to go to Bangor for a Listed mares' chase [on November 11] and Robbie [Power] will be able to ride her.

Ever Present
    4g Elusive Pimpernel - Persian Memories
    Anamoine Limited
    RPR 107b
    I was delighted with how he won at Punchestown last week. He's bred by Mrs Patino and could have run on the Flat last year but we can look towards a winners' bumper for him. He's an exciting horse who we've always loved.

Exit Polll
    Star quality

Discordantly
    6g Salutino - Collinstown Queen
    The Oddfellows Partnership
    F5F14-1
    RPR 146c OR 142c
    He went up 10lb for winning at Galway the other day and his aim is the Irish Grand National. The softer the ground the better for him – he's a brilliant jumper and keeps galloping. We'll look towards races like the Troytown and the Paddy Power.

Emily Moon
    6m Beneficial - Wood Lily
    Mrs P Myerscough
    56413-3
    RPR 134h 134c OR 129h
    It was great for her to some black type over hurdles last time, having got some over fences at Thurles last season. The plan is for her to go to Bangor for a Listed mares' chase [on November 11] and Robbie [Power] will be able to ride her.

Ever Present
    4g Elusive Pimpernel - Persian Memories
    Anamoine Limited
    RPR 107b
    I was delighted with how he won at Punchestown last week. He's bred by Mrs Patino and could have run on the Flat last year but we can look towards a winners' bumper for him. He's an exciting horse who we've always loved.

Impact Factor
    8g Flemensfirth - Hello Kitty
    Robcour
    22251/2-
    RPR 144c OR 143c
    He's a very exciting chaser. He didn't run at all last year but he's got some smart form. Running over two miles on soft ground, or two and a half on better ground, suits him well.

Instant Return
    4g Elzaam - Instant Memories
    Brian Miller
    432112-
    RPR 122h OR 126h
    He's hardy and will be back on soft ground in handicap company this season. He's by Elzaam but I think he'll be able to step up to two and a half miles, maybe even three.

Jett
    9g Flemensfirth - La Noire
    Robert Waley-Cohen
    1264-P7
    RPR 163 OR 154
    I was really happy with his comeback at Punchestown in the race he won last year. He was giving away plenty of weight and got passed but he came again, to his credit. He'll go for the Becher Chase next and Sam Waley-Cohen will ride him.

Jungle Junction
    5g Elusive Pimpernel - Consignia
    Mrs A Frost
    222214-
    RPR 135h OR 133h
    His form from last season looks strong and he's only a five-year-old so we'll stay over hurdles this season. He's done very well over the summer and I'd imagine his aim could be the Royal Bond Novice Hurdle at Fairyhouse. He's a very nice horse.

Dark horse
    Lifetime Ambition
    5g Kapgarde - Jeanquiri
    Linda Mulcahy & Mary Wolridge
    2144-
    RPR 103b
    I think this is a lovely horse. He goes hurdling and jumps very well. I'm very happy with how he's done over the summer.

Lynwood Gold
    5g Mastercraftsman - Witch Of Fife
    C Acheson
    421-2
    RPR 134h
    We're going to look towards a Pertemps qualifier with him in England in January. He stays well and the Pertemps Final or Coral Cup will be his aim. He had a very good run in the Cesarewitch last time and has gone well over hurdles already.

Magic Of Light
    9m Flemensfirth - Quest Of Passion
    Ann & Alan Potts Limited
    72/3118-
    RPR 162c 150h OR 158c 149h
    She seems to be better than ever at the moment. We'll probably go for her usual routine of the Lismullen Hurdle, then over to Newbury for the Listed mares' chase in December and on to Ascot again for the Grade 2 hurdle in January, with her aim being the Grand National. Naturally, it was disappointing not to be able to go to Aintree with her last year but she's come back in great form.

Morosini
    5g Martaline - Iris Du Berlais
    John P McManus
    35217-P
    RPR 144h OR 137h
    He's a grand horse who ran over fences last time at Punchestown but may stay over hurdles. I think he'll go over two and a half miles and this year he looks stronger and better than before – he could even go three miles. He enjoys soft ground.

Mr Hendricks
    6g Milan - Coming Home
    Exors of the Late David Reid Scott
    1/061F7-
    RPR 127h
    We're looking forward to seeing him over fences. I think he'll enjoy going a trip. He won his maiden hurdle nicely last season and is a very nice horse.

Neverushacon
    9g Echo Of Light - Lily Beth
    Exors of the Late David Reid Scott
    825318-
    RPR 146c OR 138c
    He'll go for all the banks races again after having a great time of things last year. I think he could run a very big race in the Cross Country at Cheltenham if it came up good – he needs good ground.

Not Many Left
    7g Oscar - Lasado
    Robcour
    2/4132/F-
    RPR 153h OR 148h
    He missed the whole of last season. We're going to keep him over hurdles. He's a very smart horse and stays three miles so hopefully he can have a good season.

Only Human
    7g Invincible Spirit - Liscune
    Michael Cooke
    3-2
    RPR 123h
    He's on a break at the moment after running on the Flat during the summer. He'll be back in the spring and will go hurdling.

Polished Steel
    6g Jeremy - Chaperoned
    J P O'Flaherty
    3-1142P
    RPR 145c OR 137c
    He's been brilliant for us this season and has really improved for going over fences. The ground was too soft for him on Sunday at Cork and we'll give him a mini-break with a view to running him at Leopardstown over Christmas. Hopefully the ground won't be too soft for him then.

Port Stanley
    6g Papal Bull - Prairie Moonlight
    Linda Mulcahy & Mary Wolridge
    2/53321-
    RPR 127h OR 125h
    He's got some good form over hurdles and I can't wait for him to go chasing. He schooled really well at the Curragh the other day.

Rapid response
    6m Network - La Grande Villez
    Ann & Alan Potts Limited
    RPR 136c OR 133c
    She's a lovely mare who's been very consistent. I think she's improving all the time and could make into a lovely staying chaser. She ran a nice race on Sunday at Cork but the ground was a little too testing for her. We'll give her a bit of a mini-break now and hopefully pick up some black type later in the season.

Silver Sheen
    6g Sulamani - Silver Gypsy
    J Turner
    P64111-
    RPR 138h OR 133h
    He has the option of either going for the Pertemps or heading over fences. We were really disappointed he picked up a setback that meant he missed Cheltenham last season because he looked to have a real chance but we're happy with him now.

Sizing Pottsie
    6g Kapgarde - Line Salsa
    Ann & Alan Potts Limited
    3U11F-5
    RPR 154c OR 149c
    We stepped him up to 2m3½f at the weekend but he didn't quite see it out. Robert [Power] says he's an out and out two-miler on soft ground. He'll go for the Poplar Square Chase at Naas at the end of the month. He's an exciting horse.

Still Standing
    5g Mastercraftsman - Il Palazzo
    The Three D Partnership
    04-26
    RPR 116h
    He had a good run back over hurdles at Gowran the other day when he was just touched off before running too keen at Down Royal when he didn't see out the trip. It was the wrong way to ride him and we'll look for a handicap with him now. He doesn't want extremes in terms of ground and two miles is fine for him.

Supasundae
    10g Galileo - Distinctive Look
    Ann & Alan Potts Limited
    271/247-
    RPR 165h OR 154h
    He's in great form and we're looking at the Lismullen Hurdle for him. He's also entered in the Morgiana Hurdle and will probably run in all those good Graded hurdles this season. If he's no good I'll threaten him with going chasing to do a Faugheen!

Wingin A Prayer
    5g Winged Love - Toubliss
    Rainbow Gems Syndicate
    3F371-F
    RPR 127h OR 122h
    It was disappointing that he fell last time at Punchestown because I was expecting a very big run from him, but he just picked up too far away due to a shadow. He's a nice horse going forward and will jump a fence in time but there's no hurry.

Young talent
    We've got some lovely young horses to look forward to over the coming months. Autumn Evening (3g Tamayuz - Martagon Lily) had a good run on the Flat at Navan and will go hurdling, having schooled well. Boola Boola (3g Invincible Spirit - We Can Say It Now) is an enormous horse who'll wait for a four-year-old bumper. There's also a lovely Martaline three-year-old out of Beau Bridget bred by the Potts family who will run in a bumper next year. We have a nice homebred filly by Shantou out of Madam Des Champs.

Fame and Joy 4f Fame And Glory - Coonagh Cross) has been running well in bumpers and hopefully she should be up to winning one this season. She's been a bit green, as was What Next (5m Scorpion - Espresso Lady), who's a half-sister to Sensulano and made her debut at Galway recently. Daisy Dufresne (4f Doyen - Daytona Lily), a sister to Andy Dufresne, is very nice too. She isn't overly big and will go for a bumper.

Mighty Meggsie (4f Arakan - Angel Lopez) was second on her first two bumper starts before getting bogged down on soft ground at Galway and she could go hurdling. California Breeze (4f Shirocco - Taraval) is a lovely big filly who looks like a three-mile chaser. Edison Kent (4g Leading Light - Kentish Town) hasn't run yet but is a nice unraced four-year-old we're looking forward to and Annie Kate (5m Califet - Spartan Girl) is also looking much stronger this year.

Two for the tracker

Daisy Dufresne is a filly we're looking forward to running in a bumper and I think Ilmig is a smart horse who hopefully can do well over hurdles.

Expert view

Almost every top prize in jump racing has been won by Jessica Harrington over the years, with the Grand National being one of the few races missing from her CV.

I get the feeling that no stone will be left unturned in a bid to enable Magic Of Light to go one better this time after her narrow defeat by Tiger Roll in 2019. The early vibes are good.

Multiple Grade 1-winning veteran Supasundae returns for another Grade 1 campaign which looks likely to start off in the Lismullen Hurdle at Navan.

Discordantly is certainly one to watch. Impressive at Galway last month, he looks likely to be a factor in the good staying handicap chases, beginning with the Troytown at Navan.

The trainer has never been shy in her opinion of Sizing Pottsie. He was too free and possibly needed the run at Down Royal on Saturday and there should be much better to come.

Among the younger brigade, there are high hopes that impressive Punchestown maiden hurdle winner Crosshill could make the grade as a staying novice hurdler, with the Albert Bartlett as a long-term target.

Potentially, no horse in the yard is more exciting than Ever Present, who delivered nicely for an inexperienced young rider in a Punchestown bumper.

Flat racing may be king at Commonstown at the moment and the string of jumpers may be smaller than in recent years, but they will hold their own.

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Goshen now not declared for Saturday, will we see him take on Epatante, is their a problem with Goshen or is Moore making it up as he goes along and has no clue?

Not a hope they take on epatante , more bs from moores

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Surely Percy should be 5s today?

Pogue eile wrote: »

I would say the horse is regressive. Flopped twice already on the flat and they are not happy with his progress.

Triumph hurdlers rarely follow up the following season. If they do they are done after. Katchit never won a race again after winning the CH.

The horses have been in training since they were 2 yr olds, they get no break over their 3 yr old wintering and by the time the following NH season arrives they spit the dummy and say phuck that. A plucky one like Katchit you can squeeze , but this is the exception.

Where you see triumph winners proceed after winning, ie Tiger Roll, they are given a few seasons off by their trainers. They go on the doss and then you can get them trained up again when they are 6 or 7. Carlito Brigante is another example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I see there's a Pertemps qualifier in Market Rasen today.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AnniePowwa

think the trip will suit percy more than the other 2 , none of them are gold cup horses mind

Darosso into 8's

It really is an ugly game.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I think Kemboy is a model for this. Far above the other three if Willie has him ready, though I doubt any of them are ready today.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Darosso into 8's

It really is an ugly game.

Now 5's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

He's back

• Advertisement

Gwan da Percy!!!! Jumped like a buck

Advertisement