Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jumpers are Coming 2020/2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭del roy

David Pipe Stable Tour

David Pipe spent a week in hospital recently with rib and spleen injuries after being kicked by a horse, but he's on the mend now and very much looking forward to the November meeting at Cheltenham this weekend, which has been targeted successfully by the family for decades.

Pipe, in good form with seven winners in the last fortnight, hopes to be well represented at the meeting once again, including with new recruit Siruh Du Lac in the Paddy Power Gold Cup.

He also has plenty to look forward to in the months beyond, although almost inevitably one or two of the stable's big names are sidelined, among them unfortunately Israel Champ.

While he hasn't topped the 100-winner mark since doing so for the sixth time in 2014-15, there were encouraging signs last season, when the stable's 64 winners before Covid-19 prematurely stopped play was a big step back in the right direction.

Race in focus

Haydock's Betfair Best Odds On ITV Races Stayers' Handicap Hurdle – the Fixed Brush Hurdle as it will always be to us here – is a race I've always liked, having won it with Dynaste, Grands Crus and Gevrey Chambertin. I've entered five this time, including Duc De Beauchene, Kepagge and Main Fact.

Rival to watch

An obvious one, but Envoi Allen was tremendously impressive the other day at Down Royal on his chasing debut and he looks the real deal.

Stable profile
    Yard Pond House Stables, Nicholashayne, Wellington, Somerset
    Started training 2006
    Horses in yard 85
    Members of staff 35
    Assistant trainers Martin Pipe, Gerry Supple
    Head lad Oliver Defew
    Barn leaders Martin Ayliffe, Ali Galliers-Pratt
    Travelling head lads Craig Wylie, Bob Hodge
    Jockeys Tom Scudamore, David Noonan
    Conditional Fergus Gillard
    Amateurs Martin McIntyre, Sean O’Connor
    PAs Gail Harrison, Gemma Edwards, James Smith
    Lab Esther Salter (technician), Barry Allen (advisor)
    Gallops team Mike Broom
    Stable sponsor W & S Recycling
    Website davidpipe.com
    Twitter @davidpiperacing

Winners in Britain

2019-20 64
    2018-19 44
    2017-18 33
    2016-17 59
    2015-16 80

Profit/loss to £1 stake

2019-20 +0.60
    2018-19 -66.42
    2017-18 -113.51
    2016-17 -194.09
    2015-16 -111.92

Total prize-money 2019-20

£734,090

Adagio
    Three-year-old gelding
    Wiener Walzer (sire) - Aspidistra (dam)
    Owner: Bryan Drew And Friends / Prof C Tisdall
    Form figures: 1
    Racing Post Rating 114h Official Rating -

There were a lot of claims in for him after he won very easily at Clairefontaine in August, so we were lucky to get him. We gelded him and he schooled nicely before his hurdles debut at Warwick on Friday, when he travelled well and picked up to beat the right horses. He's entered at Cheltenham at the weekend.

Brinkley
    5g Martaline - Royale Majesty
    Brocade Racing
    731-
    RPR 131h OR 130h

He ran only once for us last season, putting up a lovely performance at Newbury in February. He's had a wind op since and will probably be out in December. He's a real strong galloper and three miles ought to be fine for him.

Bumpy Johnson
    4g Imperial Monarch - Country Flora
    Brocade Racing
    F-1
    RPR 109b

He'd gone nicely at home before running in a bumper at Fontwell last month and won impressively there. He looks a nice youngster and he'll probably go hurdling.

Dell' Arca
    11g Sholokov - Daisy Belle
    Prof Caroline Tisdall
    3-73611
    RPR 154h OR 131h

He's an absolute star and has won both starts this season under Fergus Gillard. He'd obviously dropped down the handicap and life will get tougher now. He probably finds hurdles a bit easier than fences and I don't think he wants it too soft as he finds it hard work nowadays.

Duc De Beauchene
    7g Saddler Maker - Quatia D'Angron
    JP McManus
    12/0174-
    RPR 131h OR 128h

He was very impressive at Cheltenham last November. He never built on it for some reason, but he's a big, strong, powerful horse who is looking very well and seems in good form. I'd imagine he'll stick to hurdles for now and he's not far off a run.

Eden Du Houx
    6g Irish Wells - Maralypha
    Prof Caroline Tisdall
    24134-0
    RPR 133h OR 130h RPR 119c OR 130c

He did very well in bumpers but didn't do quite as well as we hoped in novice hurdles. He started over fences at Uttoxeter and jumped very nicely before finishing tired. Scu [Tom Scudamore] thought he was very professional.

First Lord De Cuet
    6g Lord Du Sud - Alyce
    Potter, Pipe and Pete
    /4120-32
    RPR 128h OR 126

It looked like he came to win his race at Sandown on Sunday but he knuckled on landing two out and the winner maybe got first run on him. We may try cheekpieces next time. I hope there's a nice race in him.

Dark horse

Gericault Roque
    4g Montmartre - Nijinska Delaroque
    Prof Caroline Tisdall and Bryan Drew
    4-2
    RPR 102b

He ran with a lot of promise when second on his first run for us in a bumper at Newton Abbot last month, staying on strongly. He's had a wind op since then and could go hurdling now.

Induno
    6g Flemensfirth - Vast Consumption
    RA Bartlett
    2/113-
    RPR 121h OR 115h

He's had a nice long break since Boxing Day, when he wasn't right, and he's entered at Cheltenham this weekend. He's a good work horse and I think he's on a workable mark. He's quite versatile ground-wise.

Kepagge
    6 g Getaway - Miracle Lady
    Mrs Sarah Ling
    F/111-
    RPR 135h OR 137h

He won a bumper and his two novice hurdles last season, although he did his best to get himself beaten at Leicester at 2-9 when he lost his confidence. He's a lovely big, strong horse and may go chasing before long, but he'll start over hurdles at Cheltenham or Haydock.

Ladykiller
    4g Kamsin - Lady Jacamira
    Prof Caroline Tisdall and Bryan Drew
    RPR 106h

He had decent form on the Flat in Germany and he jumped well and travelled well at Southwell on his hurdling debut before finding little. He works very nicely, so hopefully it was just his wind, which has since been attended to.

Leoncavallo
    8g Cape Cross - Nafura
    ValueRacingClub.co.uk
    05/824-1
    RPR 147h 147c OR 143h 142c

A really tough and versatile character who is effective on the Flat, over hurdles and over fences. He ran another terrific race in the Cesarewitch last time. He's having a break now but will be ready to run again in February or March.

Maggies Mogul
    4f Valirann - Grangeclare Gold
    The Angove Family
    1-4
    RPR 94b

She won her only point-to-point in Ireland and made her bumper debut at Ffos Las, where we were probably too forceful on her. She's a nice mare with a good attitude and better than she showed there.

Star quality

Main Fact
    7g Blame - Reflections
    Munrowd's Partnership
    /311111-
    RPR 150h OR 147h

He did fantastically well over hurdles last season and when he came back from a break he was potentially very well treated on the Flat, although it doesn't always work out. We got lucky with the weather, as soft ground is very important to him because of the way he races, and he won three times in 12 days to make it eight straight wins overall since January. He'll now go hurdling again and it will obviously be harder now. He does take a lot of getting cherry-ripe as he's quite a burly horse. He's entered in the Greatwood but it would need to be soft over two miles. He's also in at Haydock next week over three miles, which is unknown territory, but it's an easy track and he runs as though he'll stay.

Make Me A Believer
    5g Presenting - Kiltiernan Robin
    Prof C Tidsall & Jane Gerard-Pearse
    F/1-2
    RPR 113b RPR 113h

He put up a good effort in winning a bumper at Chepstow last October but picked up an injury and then Covid intervened. He ran a very nice race over hurdles at Lingfield on his return when he was only beaten by a very good horse in Bear Ghylls and he's had a wind op since then. He's got loads of ability and will make a lovely three-mile chaser one day.

Martinhal
    5g Westerner - Gweedara
    Mrs Lynne Maclennan
    F1-44
    RPR 123b RPR 109h

He put up a nice performance when winning a bumper at Huntingdon last season but hasn't finished off either of his races over hurdles this season, which is frustrating. He'll probably go for a wind op now. I'm sure there's more to come from him.

Meep Meep Mag
    6m Getaway - Deadly Pursuit
    M Lambert & Mrs R White
    31321-
    RPR 108b

She picked up an injury when winning her bumper at Sedgefield and hasn't run since, but she's getting there now and will be going novice hurdling. She's got a great attitude.

New Age Dawning
    6g Stowaway - Captain Supreme
    Brocade Racing
    2/121/
    RPR 130h OR 133h

He won a bumper and a novice hurdle two seasons ago but suffered a leg injury and missed last season. He's probably a month or so off a run but if he stays in one piece he'll make a lovely three-mile chaser.

Night Edition
    4g Authorized - Night Serenade
    Stuart & Simon Mercer & John Gent
    4212-
    RPR 132h OR 135h

He did well as a juvenile and ended with a good second at Cheltenham in the Boodles. He's not overbig, but he's grown a bit during his break so hopefully there's more to come. He'll be aimed at some of the big handicap hurdles and could start at Ascot before Christmas.

Panic Attack
    4f Canford Cliffs - Toto Corde Meo
    Bryan Drew
    10-21
    RPR 115h OR 119h

She ran well against a good mare until tiring at Huntingdon on her hurdling debut, and then we dropped her back in trip and rode her more forcefully when she won at Uttoxeter. She's hopefully on a workable mark and is entered for the novice handicap at Cheltenham on Friday.

Ramses De Teillee
    8 g Martaline - Princesse D'Orton
    John White & Anne Underhill
    /14110-5
    RPR 150h OR 149h RPR 158c OR 149c

He's been a great horse for us and it's hard to believe he's only eight. He's going to be harder to place this season but he ran a decent race at Auteuil last month and could go to Cheltenham at the weekend if it's soft enough. After that it will be the Becher and the Welsh National, and he has options over hurdles again.

Remastered
    7g Network - Cathodine Cayras
    Brocade Racing
    52P33-1
    RPR 134h OR 132h RPR 137c OR 132c

He's a real galloper who was always going to be a better chaser than a hurdler. He made a great start over fences in what looked a tricky little novice at Carlisle on Monday as he jumped extremely well and battled back when headed. He goes well fresh, but he'll hopefully back it up and is the sort who might end up in the National Hunt Chase at Cheltenham. He needs the cheekpieces just to help him out in the later stages.

Siruh Du Lac
    7g Turgeon - Margerie
    /1111/PF-
    RPR 154c OR 150c

His form is all in the book and anyone can see he's a very good horse and a lovely addition to the stable. He had a horrible fall at Cheltenham and came to us not long afterwards, so he's had a long summer break. He's got to improve to win off his mark, but he's working like a nice horse and we're leaning towards the Paddy Power. I'm sure he'll be trying three miles at some stage this season as he gives the impression he's an out-and-out galloper.

Thinking
    5g So You Think - Laetoli
    Nick Shutts
    1/
    OR 132h

He won his only hurdle race in France two years ago but hasn't run since, although he was ready just before lockdown started. He's a big, strong individual and a real galloper who will get two and a half miles. He's in the Greatwood but would need soft ground.

Umbrigado
    6g Stowaway - Dame O'Neill
    116/560-
    RPR 141h OR 139h

He had a slightly frustrating time last season, but he ran well at Haydock, then wasn't quick enough for two miles next time, and finally wasn't beaten far in my dad's race at Cheltenham. He's a strong traveller who has plenty of ability. He'll probably be sticking to hurdles.

Vieux Lion Rouge
    11g Sabiango - Indecise
    Prof Caroline Tisdall & John Gent
    0/1997-5
    RPR 141h OR132h RPR 160c OR 140c

He's been a great horse for the yard, running in four Nationals and four Becher Chases. He's had a blowout in a veterans' chase and he's now going back to Aintree again for the Becher, which he won in 2016. He's not getting any younger, but he looks a million dollars and is back down to a workable mark again.

Bumper horses

We did well with our bumper horses last season and we've had a nice winner already in Bumpy Johnson. Hopefully there are some more winners to come and worth mentioning at this stage are the four-year-olds Astigar, who is by No Risk at All and came to us from Colin Bowe, and Barrier Peaks, who came from Sam Curling and is a little further away from a run. I also like a nice unnamed Shirocco four-year-old, who came from Tony Costello and is a bit backward still, and a three-year-old by Kapgarde who was bought privately by Tom Malone and looks promising.

Two for the tracker

Gericault Roque should pay his way this season, probably over hurdles. New Age Dawning picked up a leg injury but is doing lots of work and should be worth following over hurdles or fences.

Expert view
    The yard has some very interesting horses entered at Cheltenham this week, including Kepagge and Thinking.

Kepagge looks set to go handicapping after just two small-field novice successes so is a complete unknown. His entries include the 3m and 2m5f handicap hurdles on Saturday and the former is a race Pipe won with Grands Crus, who went on to land the Fixed Brush Hurdle at Haydock before running second to Big Buck's in the Stayers' Hurdle.

He is definitely one to keep an eye on, as is Thinking, who thrashed the now 124-rated chaser Yccs Portocervo in a hurdle in France in 2018 and has not been seen since. He's entered in the Greatwood, a race Pipe took with stable stalwart Dell' Arca seven years ago on his first run in Britain.

Two chasers to definitely keep an eye out for are Remastered and
    Eden Du Houx.

Remastered may need the cheekpieces to keep him up to his work, but he looked very professional when off the mark at Carlisle on Monday and he was beating a pair who were rated considerably higher than him over hurdles. There is a decent staying pot in him sometime in the future.

Eden Du Houx is a horse I've always liked so it is pleasing to hear that it was just a case of getting tired first time out when he was well beaten at Uttoxeter last month.

He ran a couple of excellent races in big-field handicap hurdles in open company as a novice last season, finishing third at Ascot and fourth to McFabulous at Kempton, and I'm sure at some point he will leave a mark of 130 well behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

del roy wrote: »
    David Pipe Stable Tour

Thinking
    5g So You Think - Laetoli
    Nick Shutts
    1/
    OR 132h

He won his only hurdle race in France two years ago but hasn't run since, although he was ready just before lockdown started. He's a big, strong individual and a real galloper who will get two and a half miles. He's in the Greatwood but would need soft ground.

Expert view
    The yard has some very interesting horses entered at Cheltenham this week, including Kepagge and Thinking.

Kepagge looks set to go handicapping after just two small-field novice successes so is a complete unknown. His entries include the 3m and 2m5f handicap hurdles on Saturday and the former is a race Pipe won with Grands Crus, who went on to land the Fixed Brush Hurdle at Haydock before running second to Big Buck's in the Stayers' Hurdle.

He is definitely one to keep an eye on, as is Thinking, who thrashed the now 124-rated chaser Yccs Portocervo in a hurdle in France in 2018 and has not been seen since. He's entered in the Greatwood, a race Pipe took with stable stalwart Dell' Arca seven years ago on his first run in Britain.

A fascinating entry in the Greatwood. Only 12/1 Antepost. Gets in off 10stone4. Could be chucked in.

I fancy Sir Psycho myself, but the Pipe entry will have to get a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    A fascinating entry in the Greatwood. Only 12/1 Antepost. Gets in off 10stone4. Could be chucked in.

I fancy Sir Psycho myself, but the Pipe entry will have to get a fiver.

sir psycho impressed me last year before the triumph . whats his mark?

akelly02 wrote: »
    sir psycho impressed me last year before the triumph . whats his mark?

I think 145. See card. He likes the mud and it is to piss rain all weekend in the UK. ( and here I think )

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2020-11-15/768280/

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

His oul felleh used to target this meeting each year, used to bang in the winners.
    With the recent good form, they could have a good week again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

His oul felleh used to target this meeting each year, used to bang in the winners.
    With the recent good form, they could have a good week again.

His aul fella could train horses.

Slattsy wrote: »
    His aul fella could train horses.

A tough act to follow but Pipe is no mug. He still gets nice horses and is well capable of getting one or two right for big races. He is far from prolific but he can place horses. The fact that he is not as good as his daddy won't stop that french import being thrown in either. I wouldn't be crazy about a non raced import at 12/1 but he could just as easily throw it into a few handicaps and get a few quid together, they must fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Hearing that JonBon is going to Jackdaws
    Surprised if true

Anyone like Tiger tomorrow? 3/1...

Surprised if true

It is a strange race, there is only 3 in the handicap. I think at 7's I might take a chance on Potters Corner. He gets over a stone off the top 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Surprised if true

Jaysus didn’t think he’d go Jonjo. Would’ve thought Nicky was a cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭famagusta

The Mig wrote:

Ya word is Nicky alright

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Not in a million years would a prospect like him go to Jonjo.

I don't know.

John Jo trained him a Gold Cup and a Grand National winner.

He might not have forgotten that?

I don't know.

John Jo trained him a Gold Cup and a Grand National winner.

He might not have forgotten that?
    He didn't pay 570k for either of them winners though

Have ye forgotten who bought him...............

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

It is a strange race, there is only 3 in the handicap. I think at 7's I might take a chance on Potters Corner. He gets over a stone off the top 2.

I agree, he hasn't gone up an ounce for winning the Virtual Grand National in April so he's well in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I agree, he hasn't gone up an ounce for winning the Virtual Grand National in April so he's well in

A virtual good thing!!

The Mig wrote: »
    He didn't pay 570k for either of them winners though

You could argue he spent a whole lot more in fairness. He must spend around 20 million at least a year?

I personally think that at 570k he would want to be a superstar. There is no doubt that he has a good brother but that does not make him out to be much, yet. It is a lot of money all things considered, but a great return for those who bought him as a 3yrold. Nice money.

Snow Fairy was bought for 6,000 Guineas. True Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭kksaints

Have ye forgotten who bought him...............

I look forward to him running in the cross-country races in a few years time trained by Enda Bolger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Jonjo will have him plotted up for something before long. He'll not be sighted in his first few runs as a novice.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    Jonjo will have him plotted up for something before long. He'll not be sighted in his first few runs as a novice.

He is not a great prospect for a punt either. I mean FTO he will be 1/2 at best in some bumper or novice hurdle. His price will only shorten if he keeps winning. I would rather be waiting for big competitive races when they will be looking to recoup some of the 570k. It is crazy money for an unraced gelding all things considered. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

He is not a great prospect for a punt either. I mean FTO he will be 1/2 at best in some bumper or novice hurdle. His price will only shorten if he keeps winning. I would rather be waiting for big competitive races when they will be looking to recoup some of the 570k. It is crazy money for an unraced gelding all things considered. Good luck to them.

Don't underestimate Jonjo there. A string of naughts and 'p's will do a lot for your price.

Edit: My original post was just a joke really. I don't 'expect' this to be the route they will take.

Lads, i am not saying he IS going to Jackdaws, I am saying I heard he was......it wasn't JonJoe himself that told me like!!!
    It's not certain!
    Heard it from a fellah who works in Paul Nolan's yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lads, i am not saying he IS going to Jackdaws, I am saying I heard he was......it wasn't JonJoe himself that told me like!!!
    It's not certain!
    Heard it from a fellah who works in Paul Nolan's yard.

You heard it from the horses mouth

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    You heard it from the horses mouth

I asked him for info, he answered me Neigh......
    Sure I'm of to meet Jon Joe, JP and some hay

Hahahahahahahaha as if JP is in this game to recoup some of the 570k. Gas man Moron

Hahahahahahahaha as if JP is in this game to recoup some of the 570k. Gas man Moron

I would say he has the odd giggle himself.

It is all well and good saying it is a drop in the ocean for him, but you can be sure he expects some shrapnel back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

He didn't amass his fortune by pis*ing away money either.

It's his hobby lads. He's in the game for winners. Easysland is a prime example. I'd say he cost a fair few bob but only won 40k and the festival and is racing for 12k today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

It's genuinely impressive how one man can talk so much ****e day in day out. Incredible stamina.

Advertisement