Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

peteeeed wrote: »
    His House
    As a young couple from war-torn South Sudan seeks asylum and a fresh start in England, they're tormented by a sinister force living in their new home.

This is actually reviewing pretty well, and seems like a different approach to haunted house type movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Apologies, that was a typo, got my ~400 minutes and ~7 hours mixed up and ended up with 700 minutes.

Will leave it at that as I seem to be in the minority in trying get an idea of whether the story warrants the full mini series treatment or not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Apologies, that was a typo, got my ~400 minutes and ~7 hours mixed up and ended up with 700 minutes.

Will leave it at that as I seem to be in the minority in trying get an idea of whether the story warrants the full mini series treatment or not.

Stephen King said on twitter it's the best thing he's watched all year, if that's any use to you

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I watched the first two episodes last night and they certainly warrant it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I watched the first two episodes last night and they certainly warrant it so far.

same. 2 episodes in and really enjoying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stephen King said on twitter it's the best thing he's watched all year, if that's any use to you

Got to agree. Sad really, the billions Netflix is throwing at content and we have to wait til October to get their best of the year. Mind you, The Crown is coming next month.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Suburra Season 3, 6 episodes, now available, that will do nicely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

peteeeed wrote: »
    His House
    As a young couple from war-torn South Sudan seeks asylum and a fresh start in England, they're tormented by a sinister force living in their new home.

The Day of the Lord (mexican)
    In this horror movie, a retired priest haunted by his sins is pulled back into the darkness when a friend begs him to help his possessed daughter.

Rogue City (french)
    Caught in the crosshairs of police corruption and Marseille's warring gangs, a loyal cop must protect his squad by taking matters into his own hands.

Somebody Feed Phil season 4
    "Everybody Loves Raymond" creator Phil Rosenthal travels the globe to take in the local cuisine and culture of Bangkok, Lisbon, Mexico City and more.

Suburra: Blood on Rome (Suburra: La Serie) season 3
    In 2008, a fight over land in a seaside town near Rome spirals into a deadly battle between organized crime, corrupt politicians and the Vatican.

Dọlápọ̀ is Fine
    Ready to leave her UK boarding school and enter the working world, a young Black woman faces pressure to change her name and natural hairstyle.

added

Somebody feed Phil is great i've watched all the previous seasons and he's a very likable person,easy viewing for a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Yeah he's great. Funny, nice and likeable.

Rare for someone so filthy rich.

After watching Calm with Horses. Why are Irish films all dark and miserable? Can’t we have funny anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Started the queens gambit tonight... 2 episodes in....it’s caught my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Started the queens gambit tonight... 2 episodes in....it’s caught my attention.

Actually came here to get peoples thoughts on it, haven't heard a bad review of it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Actually came here to get peoples thoughts on it, haven't heard a bad review of it yet!

Very good . Worth the watch. Main actress is very good and the child actress is excellent Good supporting cast. A 7/10 show maybe an 8

I watched the first episode of La Révolution. It seems to be a historic drama about the French revolution, but with zombies.... I think. Interesting enough first episode, will definitely watch the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I watched the first episode of La Révolution. It seems to be a historic drama about the French revolution, but with zombies.... I think. Interesting enough first episode, will definitely watch the rest of it.

I'm imagining people that have just been guillotined turning into headless zombies!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Started watching it too. Has potential.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Started watching it too. Has potential.

I loved the opening visual of the bloody horse trotting across the snow in front of the house. It looks like it won't be lacking in gore anyway.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

After watching Calm with Horses. Why are Irish films all dark and miserable? Can’t we have funny anymore?

Have you watched Extra Ordinary? It's also on Netflix, not watched yet myself but looks like good fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes. Extra Ordinary was like Ghostbusters mixed with Father Ted and was as lots of fun as that premise suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭munster87

I see a new season of Somebody feed Phil is up. If you’re ever stuck for something light and easy going it’s a good watch. Bit of a Bourdain-lite show. I like Phil but I do think he’s a bit of a marmite character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

When Calls the Heart season 6
    Leaving behind her upper-crust city roots, a woman journeys west in the early 1900s to become a teacher in a small Canadian mining community

Afronta! Facing It! Season 1
    This docuseries spotlights Afro-Brazilian thinkers sharing their individual journeys and discussing representation, entrepreneurship and community

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭mjp

Started Subarra: blood on Rome just there this morning. Halfway through 2nd episode but very good so far with lot of crime and corruption between hardened criminals politicians vatican and prostitutes. Set up for lit of interesting storylines. Reminded me of love/hate in ways with it's gruesomeness and ruthlessness of the hardened criminals in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Has anyone watched okja? It's one of Bong Joon Hos.

There was a lot of discussing about Korean shows and films a while back. Is there anything you'd recommend? Something like Annihilation or Arrival would be ideal.

Watched two films on Netflix recently, Freaks which after a slow start I really enjoyed and Sinister, Ethan Hawke at his worst in an awful paint by numbers horror.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The current selection of Korean movies on Netflix isn’t great, tbh.

Okja is a lot of fun - quite a bit messier than Bong’s other movies and not as satisfying as Parasite or the likes. But it’s still full of ideas, smart filmmaking and cool moments.

The Handmaiden is excellent all-around. Park Chan-wook’s best film since Oldboy, and an extremely smart mix of thriller and romance.

For the night that’s in it. #Alive is a decent watch if you’re in the mood for a zombie movie. Nothing spectacular, I hasten to add, but it’s good fun.

Zombie show Kingdom is fantastic, however. One of Netflix’s best original productions - escalates the scale and stakes to remarkable effect. Hits a bit of a lull mid-way through season two IMO but really rallies for a spectacular finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

mjp wrote: »
    Started Subarra: blood on Rome just there this morning. Halfway through 2nd episode but very good so far with lot of crime and corruption between hardened criminals politicians vatican and prostitutes. Set up for lit of interesting storylines. Reminded me of love/hate in ways with it's gruesomeness and ruthlessness of the hardened criminals in parts.

have you watched the movie ? the series is a prequel to the movie,movie came first though,based on true events..apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

have you watched the movie ? the series is a prequel to the movie,movie came first though,based on true events..apparently
    I watched the film and both series, and didn't even realise that the series was supposed to be a prequel to the film. :o

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes. Extra Ordinary was like Ghostbusters mixed with Father Ted and was as lots of fun as that premise suggests

Just watched this, perfect Halloween night viewing if you're not in the mood for a straight up horror. It was actually much better than I expected, laugh out loud funny in a few places.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Have you watched Extra Ordinary? It's also on Netflix, not watched yet myself but looks like good fun.

Don’t waste your time. Absolute bollox!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really enjoyed His House, a pretty striking horror from a debut director. Tells of two refugees who arrive in the UK, and are given their own home. But suffice to say it’s a wee bit on haunted side. Naturally, this is as much about the various traumas they’ve experienced on their path to a new life. A good solid horror movie with some meat on its bones.

Advertisement