Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Gigantosaurus season 1
    Four prehistoric friends go on an array of adventures while trying to unravel a mystery about a big, fierce creature. Based on Jonny Duddle's book.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Basq wrote: »
    Do you need to play, or even understand, chess to enjoy the Queen's Cambit? Looks interesting but don't have a notion on chess.

My wife doesn't know the first thing about chess and she's really enjoying it. You don't need to be able to follow the games as the series makes it clear either from narration or from facial expressions who is winning and who is losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Really enjoyed the Queen's Gambit and now I'm tempted to root around the attic for an old board that's there somewhere!

Resistance is futile... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Do you need to play, or even understand, chess to enjoy the Queen's Cambit? Looks interesting but don't have a notion on chess.

no its a story too and you can enjoy it even if you hate chess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

No but you should drink every time someone does on screen... it will make you think/feel like you are a chess Grandmaster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

TBH I’ve been fairly disappointed in most of Ben Wheatley’s later stuff. He definitely peaked with Kill List, and A Field In England was a worthwhile oddity. But everything else has been either ‘grand’ or half-baked for me (including Sightseers, which at least was better than Free Fire and High Rise).

Free Fire is a bit slight on rewatching but I still find it enjoyable. Have to disagree with you on High Rise and Sightseers though - I really liked the former, in particular for the tangibly grimy, smoky nature of the settingband environment as well as the ideal casting of Hiddleston in the principal role. The latter had its moments but somehow felt drawn out and overlong despite being 70 mins or so, and had the distinct hum of "hey, I got some funding to turn my short film into a feature".

Haven't watched Rebecca yet, and for some reason Down Terrace and Happy New Year Colin Burstead have been on my to-watch list for ages without getting watched, but generally speaking I'm still happy to take a punt on anything Wheatley does. Mind you, I'm more interested in Freak Shift (if that ever gets made) than I am a Meg or Tomb Raider sequel...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

peteeeed wrote: »
    Grand , meg 2 next :)
    I, for one am looking forward to The Meg 2.

And so should we all! SHARKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dades wrote: »
    I, for one am looking forward to The Meg 2.

And so should we all! SHARKS!

Even Sharknado:)

Haven't seen any of them myself, the name was enough of a turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Holidate a good watch if you are In the mood for a cheesy romcom.typical storyline but a few laughs in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Holidate a good watch if you are In the mood for a cheesy romcom.typical storyline but a few laughs in it

Watched it last night with the wife, it was OK, passed the evening if nothing else.

Actually on the lookout for anything similar so all suggestions welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched it last night with the wife, it was OK, passed the evening if nothing else.

I haven't seen either yet so can't confirm, but I have seen Holidate compared to Plus One quite a few times. (I think they literally have the same premise except Plus One is weddings instead of holidays)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Netflix are raising their prices in the US again so I'm sure you can expect the same here
    https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-increases-prices-us-monthly-plans-1234819132/

The two-stream HD Standard plan will increase from $12.99 to $13.99 while the four-stream 4K Premium plan is raising from $15.99 a month to $17.99. The one-stream SD plan will remain priced at $8.99 a month.

Girls trip,nobody's fool...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,288 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I haven't seen either yet so can't confirm, but I have seen Holidate compared to Plus One quite a few times. (I think they literally have the same premise except Plus One is weddings instead of holidays)
    Is plus one the one with Jack Quaid (from the boys) I actually enjoyed that I have to say

gmisk wrote: »
    Is plus one the one with Jack Quaid (from the boys) I actually enjoyed that I have to say

With all the different endings?? Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Went to put on The Queens Gambit tonight, saw that it's 7 hours long in total and now I'm on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Went to put on The Queens Gambit tonight, saw that it's 7 hours long in total and now I'm on the fence.
    Why? It's a limited series which, given all the Netflix cancellations lately, is definitely a good thing. You'll get a resolution if nothing else.

Why? It's a limited series which, given all the Netflix cancellations lately, is definitely a good thing. You'll get a resolution if nothing else.

Exactly. I've been burned by a few Netflix series lately. It reminded me why I stopped watching pretty much anything on US Network TV for a couple of years. At least a limited series is one and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Netflix are raising their prices in the US again so I'm sure you can expect the same here
    https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-increases-prices-us-monthly-plans-1234819132/

The two-stream HD Standard plan will increase from $12.99 to $13.99 while the four-stream e4K Premium plan is raising from $15.99 a month to $17.99. The one-stream SD plan will remain priced at $8.99 a month.

They will keep going till it’s like €20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

fin12 wrote: »
    They will keep going till it’s like €20

Push it too far and piracy goes up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Push it too far and piracy goes up

I hope so, im getting sick of their yearly increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

To the lake, Russian series from last year with a deadly virus causing mayhem through the country. Superb ending to it and highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    To the lake, Russian series from last year with a deadly virus causing mayhem through the country. Superb ending to it and highly recommended

Sounds pretty prophetic!!

His House
    As a young couple from war-torn South Sudan seeks asylum and a fresh start in England, they're tormented by a sinister force living in their new home.

The Day of the Lord (mexican)
    In this horror movie, a retired priest haunted by his sins is pulled back into the darkness when a friend begs him to help his possessed daughter.

Rogue City (french)
    Caught in the crosshairs of police corruption and Marseille's warring gangs, a loyal cop must protect his squad by taking matters into his own hands.

Somebody Feed Phil season 4
    "Everybody Loves Raymond" creator Phil Rosenthal travels the globe to take in the local cuisine and culture of Bangkok, Lisbon, Mexico City and more.

Suburra: Blood on Rome (Suburra: La Serie) season 3
    In 2008, a fight over land in a seaside town near Rome spirals into a deadly battle between organized crime, corrupt politicians and the Vatican.

Dọlápọ̀ is Fine
    Ready to leave her UK boarding school and enter the working world, a young Black woman faces pressure to change her name and natural hairstyle.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Sounds pretty prophetic!!

When I saw the ending that’s exactly what I said!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Exactly. I've been burned by a few Netflix series lately. It reminded me why I stopped watching pretty much anything on US Network TV for a couple of years. At least a limited series is one and done..
    Completely get where you are coming from but I guess I find my media watching time to be quite limited these days and a 7 part hour long mini-series sits in that middle ground between a 20/40 minute episodic TV series and a self contained 90 - 100 minute movie.

Does the story really warrant the 700 minute plus run time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Completely get where you are coming from but I guess I find my media watching time to be quite limited these days and a 7 part hour long mini-series sits in that middle ground between a 20/40 minute episodic TV series and a self contained 90 - 100 minute movie.

Why don't you watch it and find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Eh, 7 hours wouldn't be 700 minutes.

• Advertisement

It's runtime is 393 minutes, which is 6.5 hours.

Advertisement