Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

peteeeed wrote: »
    Sarah Cooper: Everything's Fine
    Comedian and Trump lip-synching sensation Sarah Cooper tackles politics, race and other light topics in a sketch special packed with celebrity guests.

Netflix have felt very light on quality Standup for about 18 months now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I doubt they will ever top Greg Davies' Magnificent Beast but yeah a lot of it is very meh - even James Acaster's effort wasn't brilliant

Loved the first one. Was looking forward to viewing the sequel until I saw the online reviews. Gave it a miss altogether. Different cast. Which makes sense I guess, as the first one wiped them all out.

They really shouldn't have done a sequel. Even if you feel a tiny bit curious, don't be tempted! It's so bad it almost ruins the first one.
    The first one is excellent, I haven't seen it since I watched it in the cinema, so we'll be throwing it on for our Halloween movie next weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

ShineOn7 wrote: »

There's been a new Bill Burr and Jim Jefferies in the last while and they were both great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I doubt they will ever top Greg Davies' Magnificent Beast but yeah a lot of it is very meh - even James Acaster's effort wasn't brilliant

Thought Repertoire was brilliant, personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Yeah me too, he is excellent and the first time I’ve enjoyed standup in years. I’ve only seen his stuff that’s on Netflix - repertoire and the bbc thing. There’s a fair bit from the bbc thing repeated throughout repertoire, as you’d expect, looking forward to new material from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Yeah Repertoire is some of the best stand up I have seen in years.

Apparently his latest special will be on TV this year according to a Metro article that came out this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Recommend Daniel Sloss's standup (Dark, Jigsaw) too..

.. equal parts moving-uncomfortable-hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Basq wrote: »
    Recommend Daniel Sloss's standup (Dark, Jigsaw) too..

.. equal parts moving-uncomfortable-hilarious!
    Seconded, I think he's the best out there at the moment. If you like your comedy dark and cynical he's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Holidate
    Fed up with being single on holidays, two strangers agree to be each other's platonic plus-ones all year long, only to catch real feelings along the way

La Gran Ilusión
    Known as "El Mago Pop," illusionist Antonio Díaz shocks and awes celebrities and bystanders around the world with his mind-blowing performances.

Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight (Polish)
    Addicted to technology, a group of teens attends a rehabilitation camp in the forest, but a sinister force there intends to take them offline forever.

Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb
    After unearthing a tomb that had been untouched for 4,400 years, Egyptian archaeologists attempt to decipher the history of the extraordinary find.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb
    After unearthing a tomb that had been untouched for 4,400 years...
    ...well that explains 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Enjoyed the chicago 7, totally different seeing sasha cohen in this having just watched Borat 2, he's actually a decent actor. Over 2 hours but I thought it flew by.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Boys in the band is a film based on a play really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

Enjoyed the chicago 7, totally different seeing sasha cohen in this having just watched Borat 2, he's actually a decent actor. Over 2 hours but I thought it flew by.

Seconded. final scene was an emotional surprise, wonder did he get to finish what he started?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

Rebecca is terrible, if you have seen the original avoid like the plague, if you havent, watch it instead

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rebecca is terrible, if you have seen the original avoid like the plague, if you havent, watch it instead
    That is disappointing given its directed by Ben Wheatley.
    Maybe he is a bit less picky about what he directs given he is now directing the sequel to The Meg...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

gmisk wrote: »
    Maybe he is a bit less picky about what he directs given he is now directing the sequel to The Meg...
    :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There's been a new Bill Burr and Jim Jefferies in the last while and they were both great.

Bill's was poor and Jim's wasn't his usual standards

But an "ok" Jim performance is still a very good watch

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

dubstepper wrote: »
    :eek::eek:
    Meg 2:The Trench

Actual current title...lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

gmisk wrote: »
    That is disappointing given its directed by Ben Wheatley.

He was supposed to be doing a Tomb Raider sequel too but I think I read that's been postponed indefinitely now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I’ve been fairly disappointed in most of Ben Wheatley’s later stuff. He definitely peaked with Kill List, and A Field In England was a worthwhile oddity. But everything else has been either ‘grand’ or half-baked for me (including Sightseers, which at least was better than Free Fire and High Rise).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

mikhail wrote: »
    I was just reading a review of it on a major chess website. They had some serious consultants, including Garry Kasparov (World Champion from the mid 80s until the early 2000s) and the positions and games shown are all properly designed. Usually when you see chess depicted on screen, the position is illegal and the moves make no sense.

Also, the book it's based on is highly regarded, and early reviews are good.

If you are interested in the final game of the show, you can watch a breakdown of of that masterpiece here:

Isn't she lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Really enjoyed the Queen's Gambit and now I'm tempted to root around the attic for an old board that's there somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Do you need to play, or even understand, chess to enjoy the Queen's Cambit? Looks interesting but don't have a notion on chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

TBH I’ve been fairly disappointed in most of Ben Wheatley’s later stuff. He definitely peaked with Kill List, and A Field In England was a worthwhile oddity. But everything else has been either ‘grand’ or half-baked for me (including Sightseers, which at least was better than Free Fire and High Rise).
    I gave up on Wheatley after I turned off some way into A Field in England. Still love Down Terrace as a no-bugdet crime drama though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Basq wrote: »
    Do you need to play, or even understand, chess to enjoy the Queen's Cambit? Looks interesting but don't have a notion on chess.

I havent a foggiest clue of chess so got a little lost and ended up fast forwarding alot of the chess scenes to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thought the second season of the alienist was very good. Preferred this season to the 1st one.
    really hoped Sarah and John would end up as a couple.

well he signed on to to do the tomb raider sequel last year is now signed on to do the meg 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

well he signed on to to do the tomb raider sequel last year is now signed on to do the meg 2

Tomb Raider 2 canceled

• Advertisement

Tomb Raider 2 canceled

Grand , meg 2 next :)

Advertisement