Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm holding off on that game as I know in a few months time it's going to be bigger and even better with updates.

I thought Hades was finished now? Wasn't it an early access game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, it’s 1.0 now, and basically as close to perfect as you can get.

They could well add more content due its popularity (and no game has ever deserved to be such a hit more), but yeah I would not hesitate to dive in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll buy it in the next few weeks.

It is complete in that it's got an ending now but it's one of those games I can see the developer supporting with lots of content. I've plenty to play at the moment so don't mind hanging on to see if it is supported.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Every boss in Oath in Felghana has been me dying within the first 30 seconds and going 'how the actual **** am I supposed to beat this' to slowly learning the patterns and overcoming it. It's a lot of fun and the fights are short enough and restarts so quick you don't mind the punishment.

Also whoever made the achievements is a prick.

Got an achievement for dying 10 times on the same boss. 'Go consult a FAQ already'. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

I'm ashamed I have restarted Ys Origins on my switch in easy mode got killed so many times over the last couple of days I'm gonna try it on easy mode just to get the feel of the tower fun game when not getting murdered. :D

• Advertisement

Oath in Felghana beaten. Adored it. You really have to abuse the auto heal power up in the end few dungeons! Really fun with the right amount of challenge and quite short as well.

Started up Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter as it's a game I've been interested in trying for ages. So far it's been really good. The battle system is really interesting. You really have to resource manage as well, it's almost survival horror-esque. I can see how the rogue like elements will play out later as well.

It's a strange game, I'm prepared to die and start over a few times but I can see how it got slated at release when people just didn't understand rogue-likes before the likes of Spelunky. It's a game well ahead of it's time and I think if Capcom did a remaster it would be very well received.

Soundtrack is excellent as well. Hitoshi Sakimoto and his team going a bit more electronic than usual but the atmosphere is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Start playing Persona 5 today. Great fun I could play it all day... but what the hell is going on :confused: I play on :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Start playing Persona 5 today. Great fun I could play it all day... but what the hell is going on :confused: I play on :D

Beginning is a slow burn but once you get the first dungeon out of the way it opens up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Finished trails of cold steel 1 there.

I'm not too sure what the hell I just played.

It took 100 hours (I have a feeling the turbo speed boosted that).

Ok one hand it's slow and steady RPG battles bit on the other a fairly deep and lore (though the payoff here took agessss).

I'm not too sure about the last act, the plot twist etc.

Final thoughts. This game needs an editor more badly than a hideo Kohima game. The sheer amount of repetitive dialogue is mind boggling and wasted a serious amount of time.

I have the second bought but not in a big rush atm.

noodler wrote: »
    Finished trails of cold steel 1 there.

I'm not too sure what the hell I just played.

It took 100 hours (I have a feeling the turbo speed boosted that).

Ok one hand it's slow and steady RPG battles bit on the other a fairly deep and lore (though the payoff here took agessss).

I'm not too sure about the last act, the plot twist etc.

Final thoughts. This game needs an editor more badly than a hideo Kohima game. The sheer amount of repetitive dialogue is mind boggling and wasted a serious amount of time.

I have the second bought but not in a big rush atm.

Welcome to the Trails games.

I've only play Trails in the Sky but had a similar experience. It felt like a very long slog through 4 very different storylines until the final chapter when all the plot threads came together and the finale was incredible with an absolutely gut wrenching ending. It was ultimately worth it I fell but it is an investment and not for everyone. It really is more about the plot than the actual game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Someone recommend me a good JRPG I can get on steam?

Persona 4, trials of Mana, trails of cold steel, ys VIII, digimon story cyber sleuth, valkyria chronicles 4.

I'd normally highly recommend dragon quest xi but the updated S version is coming soon.

Yakuza 7 is out very soon as well and is a turn based rpg now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nier: Automata, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana and Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance to add to the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems the new versions of Dragon Age XI S retain the reduced visual quality from the Switch version.

Seems the new versions of Dragon Age XI S retain the reduced visual quality from the Switch version.

It's been known for a while that's the case. Very disappointing but the extra content still makes it the better game.

Suda51's The Silver Case and The 25th Ward: The Silver Case are getting a western Switch port.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I wish SEGA were as interested in releasing, remastering and remaking SEGA titles. Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, Shining Force 3, Phantasy Star etc all crying out for it

SMT III: Nocturne unfortunately looks like it has been badly ported going by people who have played the Japanese version that's coming west next year, it looks like I.T.L are behind it.

• Advertisement

Well that sucks big time.

I started Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter a while ago and the opening didn't grab me. The first two characters can only do basic attacks and the battle system seemed like you just move up to enemies and attack them. The trap system seemed interesting but i didn't find too much of a use for it.

I got distracted by other games but have been meaning to come back to it.

I managed to fit in an hour and a half last night and I'm so glad I did. I lost one party member and then picked up two new party members who are the party for the rest of the game. It's totally transformed the battle system.

Nina can cast magic but there's no direct magic, you have to lay damage zones on the ground and kite enemies into them. Lin can attack from afar and while she isn't the most powerful she can knock enemies back and lay down status effects. Due to the movement in the game speed downs and movement binds are absolutely devastating. When I managed to beat an extremely intimidating boss using a trap made of bombs I placed and finished it without taking a hit I knew this game was special. Enemy AI makes things interesting with some enemies making a beeline to you while others will actively avoid the magic damage areas meaning you have to cast magic behind them and knock them back into it. There's some survival horror mechanics as well with a limited inventory which has you more actively using items and what is actually necessary to carry around.

One weird change in the PAL version I don't like is they removed the temporary save option and replaced it by giving you a few more save tokens at the start. I liked the idea that you could gamble on not using a limited save token to make a permanent save to try and get to the next are to get more rewards for new game + but it's completely gone from the PAL version.

I've had a complete 180 on this game. The battle system is up there with Grandia's as one of the best ever and I'm thoroughly enjoying it now. Loving the Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack as well, it's much more ambient and electronic compared to his usual orchestral bombast.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Coming to the end of Cold Steel 3, and really enjoying it. 65 hours or so in, and am approaching the end of the 4th chapter. Definitely one of my favourite series in a long time. Bit annoyed at having to wait who knows how long for the PC release of the 4th game, as i assume there'll be a big cliffhanger in a few hours.

Not sure what i'll try next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Continuing my Lockdown playthrough of all of the Legend of Heroes games! Just finished Trails in the Sky the Third, a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy. Played the Evolution version on PS Vita which I think had much tougher end bosses than the PC version.

Will take a break for a little while before moving on to the two Crossbell games. It's a shame that the second one (Ao Evolution) was never translated/english patched so I will have to revert to PSP graphics and a fairly ropey translation for that. I know that they are/will be available on PC, but I prefer the handheld utility of the PS Vita. I will be able to play the last two Cold Steel games on Switch.

I must say that they are great games. The depth of lore, world building, character development and overall story is beyond anything else I have come across.

I'm looking forward to the last four games!

While it'll have the same translation I believe the people who did the zero fan translation are in the middle of doing Ao with an updated editing pass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Will take a break for a little while before moving on to the two Crossbell games.

Where will you get them?

Where will you get them?

A quick Google and a Youtube tutorial and I already have Zero no Kiseki Evolution with the (inferior, non-Geofront) English patch up and running on my PS Vita. I'm using a PSP emulator to run Ao no Kiseki with an English translation also on Vita. The Evolution versions are actual Vita games with QoL improvements, improved graphics and Japanese voices to go with the text.

Alternatively I know there is an emulator that runs PSP games on PC or an Android device and both Crossbell PSP games work in this fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Tokyo Mirage Sessions On Switch is 30 euro on Amazon Spain. Any thoughts on the game folks? Never owened a Wii U so its brand new to me. I know its SMT/ FE kind of crossover but thats about it

skerry wrote: »
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions On Switch is 30 euro on Amazon Spain. Any thoughts on the game folks? Never owened a Wii U so its brand new to me. I know its SMT/ FE kind of crossover but thats about it
    Haven't beat it but thought it was fairly mediocre. Though that said I found myself playing it more than other games as its just involved enough to feel like I'm not wasting my time while still not demanding a whole lot of me in terms of gameplay or story.

• Advertisement

skerry wrote: »

I have to go back to it. Very Japanese. An vanishingly minuscule irritation I found was that during battles, there was no 'heft' to the strikes you would make on an enemy. In turn-based RPG's, I like to be a bit of 'thwack' when you hit someone if anyone knows what I mean!!:o

Advertisement