Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

"Compile Heart is working on a new PS4 RPG called Death end re;Quest, that will have you save a girl who is trapped in a discontinued VRMMORPG that is full of bugs. Here’s its first trailer."
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/07/07/death-end-requests-first-trailer-shows-key-characters-buggy-virtual-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

"Compile Heart is working on a new PS4 RPG called Death end re;Quest, that will have you save a girl who is trapped in a discontinued VRMMORPG that is full of bugs. Here’s its first trailer."
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/07/07/death-end-requests-first-trailer-shows-key-characters-buggy-virtual-world/

It annoys me when a Compile Heart game has a good premise because there's never a hope they'll pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The premise is interesting, but anything from compile is always usually mediocre, I think Sorcery Saga was the only game by them that I enjoyed, would like it to be good though.

I like the idea too but Compile are usually do fan service-y type games no?
    Maybe we'll be surprised :) (hopefully)

I like the idea too but Compile are usually do fan service-y type games no?
    Maybe we'll be surprised :) (hopefully)

Yup, any Fairy Fencer, Date A Live or Neptunia games to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a really good "Big in Japan" sale on PSN right now, plenty of RPGs across the PS4 and Vita. I picked up Tales of Berseria and Tales of Heart R along with Dangonronpa 1 and 2, although it might be a while until I get to play them. Think I'll probably end up grabbing Trails of Cold Steal 1 and 2 also - less than €30 for both.

Still working my way through Persona 4 which I'm totally hooked on now, finished the fourth dungeon (loved the retro RPG) art style). I don't want to boast but things are getting pretty serious between me and Chie, who is by far the best character. Just hope my wife doesn't find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Xenji wrote: »
    Yup, any Fairy Fencer, Date A Live or Neptunia games to name a few.

Fairy Fencer F was a fanservice game?

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Fairy Fencer F was a fanservice game?

I remember some fan service parts with Harley, the series probably is far more tamer than the other two though.

There's a really good "Big in Japan" sale on PSN right now, plenty of RPGs across the PS4 and Vita. I picked up Tales of Berseria and Tales of Heart R along with Dangonronpa 1 and 2, although it might be a while until I get to play them. Think I'll probably end up grabbing Trails of Cold Steal 1 and 2 also - less than €30 for both.

Still working my way through Persona 4 which I'm totally hooked on now, finished the fourth dungeon (loved the retro RPG) art style). I don't want to boast but things are getting pretty serious between me and Chie, who is by far the best character. Just hope my wife doesn't find out.

I would recommend playing Tales of Heart before Berseria, there is quite a gulf in quality between the two, not that it is a bad game but you might enjoy it more it you are not comparing it to Berseria.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't even think that compi L e hearts game has a good premise. It's like every anime lately. Stuck in a mmo. Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Thoughts on Lost Dimension? Was going to pick it up in the current sale but might just go for Trails of Cold Steel as my next Vita travel companion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

penev10 wrote: »
    Thoughts on Lost Dimension? Was going to pick it up in the current sale but might just go for Trails of Cold Steel as my next Vita travel companion.

Great turn based game and at that price a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Great turn based game and at that price a steal.

SOLD!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm waiting for the pc release great even though I have it on ps3 already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Right.

Looking for a recommendation for an RPG.

My all time favourite is FFX so something along the same lines is what I'm after.

I picked up FFXV and cannot get into it.

I know FF12 has just been reissued and I will be getting that at some point so I'm looking for an alternative.

Simple, no frills, TB combat game.

Danke.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Right.

My all time favourite is FFX so something along the same lines is what I'm after.

I know FF12 has just been reissued and I will be getting that at some point so I'm looking for an alternative.

Danke.

What systems do you have, it would help narrow it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Right.

Danke.

Persona 5, its the only turn based RPG thats good since FFX. (Excluding handhelds)

You're right to give up on XV, total waste of time.

Plenty of good RPG's. Saying that Persona 5 is definitely top of the pile. Way better than ff10 which I found quite mediocre.

nix wrote: »
    Persona 5, its the only turn based RPG thats good since FFX. (Excluding handhelds)

You're right to give up on XV, total waste of time.

I beg to differ you had the likes of Suikoden 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Quest VIII, Breath of Fire V, Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 5, Xenosaga and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel off the top of my head since FFX.

But yes Persona 5 is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Persona 5 is the only recent example that I can think of. (Liner, story driven rpg)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Right.

Danke.

World of Final Fantasy and if you have vita, cold steel 1 and 2.

I haven't played much of FF10, love Persona and would recommend it too, still playing 5 but wanted to put Breath of Fire 4 in the running maybe? Could be rose tinted glasses though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I beg to differ you had the likes of Suikoden 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Quest VIII, Breath of Fire V, Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 5, Xenosaga and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel off the top of my head since FFX.

But yes Persona 5 is a must.

I'm pretty sure he's not looking to play some PS2 games, or the like of the Xeno games as they are not the traditional turn based RPG's like FFX. All the others are handheld which i excluded in my post.

Apart from Disgaea 5, i never played the Disgaea games which is likely why it flew under my radar. it does look like FFT though, so again not story driven on the scale of FFX

nix wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he's not looking to play some PS2 games, or the like of the Xeno games as they are not the traditional turn based RPG's like FFX. All the others are handheld which i excluded in my post.

Apart from Disgaea 5, i never played the Disgaea games which is likely why it flew under my radar. it does look like FFT though, so again not story driven on the scale of FFX

You did say Persona 5 was the only good turn based game since FF X and I was pointing out there have been plenty more worth playing in that time , most as good or better than FF X, also all the games I mentioned were originally console games and then some were ported to handheld systems, the games mentioned also all have good stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

get Grandia 2 Anniversary edition on Steam if you can, it's very similar to FFX in many ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What systems do you have, it would help narrow it down?

Soz, PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Anywhere other than Gamestop stocking physical copies of FFXII?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Anywhere other than Gamestop stocking physical copies of FFXII?

Argos for €39.99, not sure on stock levels but probably very low. Could always order online, the steelbook LE is £35.99 inc shipping from Game using the code 5FFXIIZA, comes out at around €42.

Soz, PS4.

Persona 5 would be the main one as others have mentioned and World Of Final Fantasy.

Then you would have the likes of Disgaea 5, Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, Grand Kingdom, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Digimon: Cyber Sleuth, all good games but not on the scale of Final Fantasy and some with tactic/crafting elements, so it would be better to check some videos on them.

Blue Reflection is out at the end of September and besides that I do not see any other turn based games coming out this year for the PS4, besides the dreaded Ni No Kuni 2.

• Advertisement

Persona 5 would be the main one as others have mentioned and World Of Final Fantasy.

Then you would have the likes of Disgaea 5, Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, Grand Kingdom, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Digimon: Cyber Sleuth, all good games but not on the scale of Final Fantasy and some with tactic/crafting elements, so it would be better to check some videos on them.

Blue Reflection is out at the end of September and besides that I do not see any other turn based games coming out this year for the PS4, besides the dreaded Ni No Kuni 2.

Forgot about Digimon! that has turn based combat.

Advertisement