Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    there sure was .... lot of tension between the club's after people had moved to DLS from saviours. unfortunately the 2 clubs ended up in the senior hurling relegation game to add extra tension to the situation. I wasn't there but apparently it was desperate, game abandoned and never replayed, saviours deemed to be the guilty party and they were relegated and haven't made it back to senior since.

What year was that incident..?

Rosita wrote: »
    Only in the context of his ability. When you look at the circumstances it's not hard to credit. The All Stars reward and recognise primarily those who win the All Ireland final and then the runners-up. Those teams can usually expect at least 12 of the team. Despite the brilliant hurling Paul Flynn did, unfortunately he didn't fit into that category at all at his peak. For comparison, Kilkenny's Peter Barry was born the same year as Paul Flynn and his career roughly coincided with Flynn's. Barry won three All Stars, each one won in the year he played in an All Ireland final and two of them after the team had won the final. In that context it's easy to rationalise Flynn's lack of reward at the All Stars.

How does this rationale explain John Mullane’s 5 awards.......2003 was his first and waterford only got to a Munster final....think he won four in a row from 2009 to 2012 and never made a final appearance best was semis and 1/4 finals in that era...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    How does this rationale explain John Mullane’s 5 awards.......2003 was his first and waterford only got to a Munster final....think he won four in a row from 2009 to 2012 and never made a final appearance best was semis and 1/4 finals in that era...?

It doesn't. The rationale is based on observation and logic and generally holds true. It's not a hard and fast rule that explains every decision ever made by the All Star selection committee. The rationale doesn't explain either how Richie Power won 8 All Irelands but only 2 All Stars, while Damien Hayes has no All Ireland but 3 All Stars. In the context of all evidence Mullane over-achieved in the All Stars to have more awards than TJ Reid and the same number as Joe Canning.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

What year was that incident..?

Da gunners did a bit of it also.....Tom fives, Paul Foley.....probably a few more...?

Fives moved to Waterford and worked there, possibly Foley did also as his son plays for ballygunner now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

Fives moved to Waterford and worked there, possibly Foley did also as his son plays for ballygunner now

The city clubs are forever getting in players

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Da gunners did a bit of it also.....Tom fives, Paul Foley.....probably a few more...?

Throw in Mickey Mahoney from Butlerstown, Noelie Crowley from Roanmore, John McDonnell from Mullinavat, Anthony Cooney from Mount Sion, Willie Kiely from Colligan.

Tom Fives, Paul Foley, Andy Moloney and Niall O'Donnell were living in Ballygunner when they transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Mt Sion took alot of players from clubs back then o Shea, kirwan , Harris all county minors from portlaw, white, dunhill

Are you suggesting mount sion should have refused the application for these players?

Are you suggesting mount sion should have refused the application for these players?

They went looking for the players so they would hardly refuse the application!

They went looking for the players so they would hardly refuse the application!

My point being, the players themselves are the ones that choose to join at end of the day. The focus seems to be on the clubs and people like to use the word ‘poaching’, however it’s the disloyalty from players that turn their back on the clubs that produced and nurtured them gets overlooked. That’s fine, let’s focus the begrudgery on the clubs that benefit.

• Advertisement

My point being, the players themselves are the ones that choose to join at end of the day. The focus seems to be on the clubs and people like to use the word ‘poaching’, however it’s the disloyalty from players that turn their back on the clubs that produced and nurtured them gets overlooked. That’s fine, let’s focus the begrudgery on the clubs that benefit.

How can you be so sure that by the players decided themselves.....they may have been targeted and coaxed and offered incentives.....? A lot of transfers took place in the 1980’s/1990’s.....not so sure about at the moment....?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cnocsion

Players went to Mount Sion then as it ,gave them a chance of playing intercounty .....something that was highely unlikely if they stayed with they're previous clubs. These are the facts....Not so sure the club chased these players...my understanding would be it was the other way round.

cnocsion wrote: »
    Players went to Mount Sion then as it ,gave them a chance of playing intercounty .....something that was highely unlikely if they stayed with they're previous clubs. These are the facts....Not so sure the club chased these players...my understanding would be it was the other way round.

There would be definitely of a few in the past who had played inter county and then transferred to a ‘better club’...

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

The club Deise fundraiser passed 20k this morning, some going in one week.

Does anyone have any idea as to what has or is being done with the 50k plus that was collected by Club Deise before the All Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Deskjockey wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea as to what has or is being done with the 50k plus that was collected by Club Deise before the All Ireland?

They are using it to bring in a team of experts to train county members how to use Zoom !

cnocsion wrote: »

They had all played county minor playing for their own clubs , who was the county minor manager at the time ? Didn't a club from another county send a letter to mt Sion to tell them to stop trying to poach their player ,

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Deskjockey wrote: »
    I do think this is an important question that needs to be answered. I donated thinking that money raised would primarily go towards the funding of our underage teams and resourcing our underage teams and not the senior team. Funding for the senior team should be separate and if the county board were any good, the costs would have been covered by commercial donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Waternut wrote: »
    I do think this is an important question that needs to be answered. I donated thinking that money raised would primarily go towards the funding of our underage teams and resourcing our underage teams and not the senior team. Funding for the senior team should be separate and if the county board were any good, the costs would have been covered by commercial donations.

I think it was pretty clear that the adult teams would be getting a portion of the funds raised. The below are two quotes from the information on the GoFundMe page at the time & the whole piece makes very little reference to underage outside of these. From reading it again there isn’t a lot of reference to football but I guess that’s only natural given they were trying to raise funds off the back of the success of the senior hurling team.

“Club Deise are setting up a gofundme page as our fundraiser event for 2020, to help fund our County Teams & Development Squads.”

“All the money raised will be used to ensure we can continue to support our hurlers and development squads now and into the future.”

How specifically it is being used to support these teams I do not know. It’s probably still with Club Déise & will be until the teams mentioned are in collective training I would think.

Good to see Kevin Moran back for another year. Great servant and warrior for Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good to see Kevin Moran back for another year. Great servant and warrior for Waterford

Yeah in an age where players are retiring earlier its great to see someone in their 30s having the appetite to go again for another season

Can't wait for the new season whenever the hell it starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

It was interesting (and presumably unprecedented) to see two players from Waterford being interviewed on TG4 after Munster's win over Benetton in the Pro12 on Friday night - Jack O'Donoghue (as team captain) and Thomas Ahern (man of the match).

As far as I am aware, O'Donoghue was a very promising full back as a juvenile with Ballygunner before deciding to focus on rugby. With his size, pace and power he might have made a handy addition to the Waterford panel if he had stuck with the hurling.

I don't know anything about Thomas Ahern's sporting background, but with his height, pace and footballing ability he would have made a useful midfielder or full forward for Ardmore's Gaelic football team (at the least).

So perhaps two that got away, but best of luck to them both in their chosen sporting careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Giveitfong wrote: »
    It was interesting (and presumably unprecedented) to see two players from Waterford being interviewed on TG4 after Munster's win over Benetton in the Pro12 on Friday night - Jack O'Donoghue (as team captain) and Thomas Ahern (man of the match).

As far as I am aware, O'Donoghue was a very promising full back as a juvenile with Ballygunner before deciding to focus on rugby. With his size, pace and power he might have made a handy addition to the Waterford panel if he had stuck with the hurling.

I don't know anything about Thomas Ahern's sporting background, but with his height, pace and footballing ability he would have made a useful midfielder or full forward for Ardmore's Gaelic football team (at the least).

So perhaps two that got away, but best of luck to them both in their chosen sporting careers.

Lure of professional sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

bullpost wrote: »
    Lure of professional sport?

Can't blame them. Most would do the same if given the opportunity and in fairness Waterford wouldnt lose as many as other counties

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Brian Murphy, current blues goalkeeper, was a class hurler back in the day too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wasant Kevin Moran a fairly highly rated Soccer player when he was a teenager ?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wasant Kevin Moran a fairly highly rated Soccer player when he was a teenager ?

yeah think he has trials in England at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Tadhg Furlong won a tony forrestial for ourselves with Dee O'Keeffe and Lee Chin, full back unsurprisingly.

Actually played rugby in New Ross with Walter Walsh who played out half.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Ian OB

Ken on Soundcloud for anyone who's interested

Listen to Ken McGrath by A Hurler's Life on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/yVirR

Ian OB wrote: »
    Ken on Soundcloud for anyone who's interested

Listen to Ken McGrath by A Hurler's Life on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/yVirR

Brilliant, all heart and honesty, never expected anything less from Ken. A phenomenal competitor on the field of play. I beleive Waterford’s greatest ever player, of the recent era anyway (having not seen the teams of the 40s or 50s).

• Advertisement

yeah think he has trials in England at one stage

Yes Newcastle United for a period, also played underage for Ireland I’m pretty sure.

Advertisement