Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Larry Guinan is still around to

Mick Flan too?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's everyone's expectations for the league campaign ??

We should be hammering Westmeath, Cork and Galway will be tough games with Salthill been a place we can't grind out a result (similar to Galway who struggle down in Walsh Park) and a little bit of an unknown what way Cork will be.

Limerick and Tipperary in Walsh Park what can ya say going to be very tough challenges against 2 teams in whixh victories against them have been scarce in recent times. It would be fantastic for morale if we could get a result in any of those 2 games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deise_abu wrote: »
    Mick Flan too?

Mickey O’Connor of Cappoquin too I’m fairly certain

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

What's everyone's expectations for the league campaign ??

We should be hammering Westmeath, Cork and Galway will be tough games with Salthill been a place we can't grind out a result (similar to Galway who struggle down in Walsh Park) and a little bit of an unknown what way Cork will be.

Limerick and Tipperary in Walsh Park what can ya say going to be very tough challenges against 2 teams in whixh victories against them have been scarce in recent times. It would be fantastic for morale if we could get a result in any of those 2 games

Think we should be looking at it to just get rid of the cobwebs and avoid injuries. As long as we dont get demoted, we're playing the right way and getting wins nearer the end I think it would be decent campaign. I'd hope we use the Limerick match to really try running at them, that half back line is very strong in the air but if you cant beat their midfield with the sliotar in hand they half back line is nothing special.

Old one here from Tallowman GAA, jesus we had a golden chance that day/year. Some horrendous shooting by both sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Old one here from Tallowman GAA, jesus we had a golden chance that day/year. Some horrendous shooting by both sides

My first visit to Croke Park. Christ I'm getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

JeffKenna wrote: »

You think? I was at the all Ireland final in 1971. Found the ticket the other day although I'm pretty sure I was lifted over the stiles!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

Giveitfong wrote: »
    According to Mac Dara Mac Donncha in this week’s Dungarvan Leader, the Waterford 37-man training squad is as follows (working from the west to the east of the county):

Seamus Keating, Darragh Lyons, Kieran Power, Patrick Curran, Neil Montgomery, Conor Prunty, Michael Kiely, Jack Prendergast, Iarlaith Daly, Kieran Bennett, Shane Bennett, Stephen Bennett, Mikey Kearney, Jamie Barron, Tom Barron, Conor Gleeson, Shane Ryan, Colin Dunford, Shane Fives, DJ Foran, Calum Lyons, Ciarán Kirwan, Billy Power, Shaun O’Brien, Kevin Moran, Thomas Douglas, Jake Dillon, Jack Fagan, Shane McNulty, Austin Gleeson, Mark O’Brien, Billy Nolan, Ian Kenny, Dessie Hutchinson, Conor Sheahan, Peter Hogan, Darragh Lynch.

As Croke Park has stated that county training panels should not exceed 32, this means that five players from the above list will have to be dropped. I wonder what is the status of the group of young “development” players who, according to Liam Cahill (speaking earlier in the year) would also be included in the training sessions.

Will Mahony make it back this year. I guess de Burca is out for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

blacksuir wrote: »
    Will Mahony make it back this year. I guess de Burca is out for some time.
    I think Mahony got injured in October so with an ACL think July would be the very earliest you'd see him

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Has anyone got an educated guess on what the team might be on Sunday? I'm not even sure who'll be in goal.

• Advertisement

Has anyone got an educated guess on what the team might be on Sunday? I'm not even sure who'll be in goal.

Might be an experienced team and then for the Westmeath game the week after they will give the newcomers a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The Galway game that year was my first visit to Croke Park. I thought it couldn't get any better. I was (mostly) right.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

my first croke park visit was for the 1992 all Ireland, our minor team were playing. lost that but then the u21s beat offaly in the all Ireland final replay a few weeks later. I was young, I thought we got to finals every year. next few years after that were a harsh lesson.

A Stadium tour in 2004 was my first time in Croke Park, first Waterford match was the AI Qf vs Tipp in 2006 and our first win there since 1998

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

So how do we think Waterford will line up thus year without Tadgh and Pauric? Will Shane Bennett start in around the half forward line or will he be utilised further out the field. Who will replace Tadgh? Could Bennett be the answer at centre back and can we find another one or two scoring forward?
    Really looking forward to the league now and seeing what it throws up and seeing how Cahill sees us moving forward.

Waternut wrote: »
    So how do we think Waterford will line up thus year without Tadgh and Pauric? Will Shane Bennett start in around the half forward line or will he be utilised further out the field. Who will replace Tadgh? Could Bennett be the answer at centre back and can we find another one or two scoring forward?
    Really looking forward to the league now and seeing what it throws up and seeing how Cahill sees us moving forward.

Hoping for big things from iarlaith daly

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    my first croke park visit was for the 1992 all Ireland, our minor team were playing. lost that but then the u21s beat offaly in the all Ireland final replay a few weeks later. I was young, I thought we got to finals every year. next few years after that were a harsh lesson.

2 of uncles went to that,were on the hill directly behind the goal!

On train home,the kk fans were all quiet and subdued after winning the all ireland,while waterford fans were nearly in better form coming out!

Hoping for big things from iarlaith daly
    He's a really classy looking hurler but let's not forget that he's very young.

Cahill might look at playing him at wing half back rather than centre back. It's a big ask for such a young player to anchor the defence in the number 6 jersey.

Everyone is looking forward to the start of the league. It will add excitement to this long drawn out lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Team I'd go with

B Nolan

S Fives
    C Prunty
    S McNulty

I Daly
    A Gleeson
    C Lyons

J Barron
    C Gleeson

Shane Bennett
    J Fagan
    J Prendergast

D Hutchinson
    S Bennett
    M Kiely

Would leave scope for a strong bench Montgomery, Moran, Lyons, Bennett. Haven't seen enough of the new names to make a call on them

carter10 wrote: »
    Team I'd go with

B Nolan

S Fives
    C Prunty
    S McNulty

I Daly
    A Gleeson
    C Lyons

J Barron
    C Gleeson

Shane Bennett
    J Fagan
    J Prendergast

D Hutchinson
    S Bennett
    M Kiely

Would leave scope for a strong bench Montgomery, Moran, Lyons, Bennett. Haven't seen enough of the new names to make a call on them

Aussie back to the centre back position

Looking forward to Sunday, Cork can be so hot and cold but all teams only get back this weekend so anything can happen in this league campaign

• Advertisement

I'd love to see someone like Patrick Curren finally break through and add that extra scoring dimension to the team. Moving Austin back is a possible necessity, however Waterford will lose out in the half forward line where he was absolutely outstanding, particularly in the later championship games last year.

That 2016 Under 21 winning team are getting that bit older (most would be around 24/25/26 years old) and with the early IC retirements nowadays we could be looking at only 3/4/5 more years of service from some if not most of those guys

Translates- we need to ****ing win Liam sooner rather than later

carter10 wrote: »
    Team I'd go with

B Nolan

S Fives
    C Prunty
    S McNulty

I Daly
    A Gleeson
    C Lyons

J Barron
    C Gleeson

Shane Bennett
    J Fagan
    J Prendergast

D Hutchinson
    S Bennett
    M Kiely

that's an interesting team!

I couldn't have Aussie centre back, no doubt the man can play anywhere, but the forwards would lose so much by moving him back. not quite sure who will play centre back mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

As an outsider I think youd be robbing Peter to pay Paul by moving Austin Gleason back. Id also be abit worried about his ability to sacrifice his game to hold and sit. He had an excellent year last year and should be left where he is. Daly could slip over to centre and I don't see why Moran couldn't use all his experience to sit in the middle. He probably doesn't have the legs for the wings but he could hold the middle.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I'd like to see Shane Bennett given a run at centre back. He has all the attributes needed for the modern half back and seems more comfortable facing the ball as a defender. He might be loose, but he brings that raw aggression that Tadgh brought to the table.
    Anyone know anything about Darragh Fives or can we simply not rely on his fitness?
    I'd like to see Cahill persist with Kenny. He brings speed and that stickiness to the full back line.
    Funny thing is Ballygunner is a country mile ahead of everyone else, yet Dessie is the only real guaranteed starter.

of course if we had someone else to play full back, like barry coughlan maybe, then Prunty would be ideal to play centre back in tadhg's absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'd like to see Shane Bennett given a run at centre back. He has all the attributes needed for the modern half back and seems more comfortable facing the ball as a defender. He might be loose, but he brings that raw aggression that Tadgh brought to the table.
    Anyone know anything about Darragh Fives or can we simply not rely on his fitness?
    I'd like to see Cahill persist with Kenny. He brings speed and that stickiness to the full back line.
    Funny thing is Ballygunner is a country mile ahead of everyone else, yet Dessie is the only real guaranteed starter.

I think Darragh Fives was let go from the panel because of his injury issues

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

If they were available, you would think that O'Keeffe, Coughlan & the 2 Mahony's would be almost guaranteed to start.
    Conor Sheehan has been impressive with the club over the last few years and could push on this year. I like Paddy Leavy as well with Ballygunner, does things simple giving the ball to those in better positions, goes about his work with little fuss but I don't think he's on the panel.
    Ballygunner's biggest strength is their collective strength in depth as they've players that would start on any other club team in the county on their bench.

If they were available, you would think that O'Keeffe, Coughlan & the 2 Mahony's would be almost guaranteed to start.
    Conor Sheehan has been impressive with the club over the last few years and could push on this year. I like Paddy Leavy as well with Ballygunner, does things simple giving the ball to those in better positions, goes about his work with little fuss but I don't think he's on the panel.
    Ballygunner's biggest strength is their collective strength in depth as they've players that would start on any other club team in the county on their bench.

Coughlan is not inter county standred....yout effectively handing opposition 5 point head start playing him with amount of frees he gives away

I taught lismore as poor as they were last year,won midfield vs ballygunner in semi final particularly in 1st half,leavy didnt stand out atal?

• Advertisement

Advertisement