Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

thesultan wrote: »
    Are you involved in a club yourself?

This comment is exactly what’s wrong with gaa in this county too.

So what if he isn’t. Man is entitled to an opinion same as anyone. County needs his support financial and otherwise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember it. If I recall correctly De la Salle and St. Saviours met in a match soon after, could be league or championship, and all hell broke loose between the leavers and the remainers, think the guards might even have been called. Maybe someone else remembers better.

Tbf it wasnt too long ago referees were running away after matches between Balygunner and Lismore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

This comment is exactly what’s wrong with gaa in this county too.

So what if he isn’t. Man is entitled to an opinion same as anyone. County needs his support financial and otherwise too.

All these fellas with big ideas and no action.. Get involved in your club, through there you can have some say in the County boards

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

And Laois.

Anyone else see our chairman refused to comment in the independent on Saturday re Dublin funding.

Too cute to put anything in writing. Looks like we got a 21st century version of paddy Joe.

Along with a number of other county chairpersons who refused to comment in favour or against. There was also a large number felt nothing needs changing in GAA finance distribution...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

All these fellas with big ideas and no action.. Get involved in your club, through there you can have some say in the County boards

A fella buys a deise ticket probably does more then most tbh.

Sniping at people that have an opinion doesn’t serve any purpose only to show how backward waterford gaa is

• Advertisement

A fella buys a deise ticket probably does more then most tbh.

Sniping at people that have an opinion doesn’t serve any purpose only to show how backward waterford gaa is

The poster in question calling the committee buffoons is hardly helpful either? People who gave up their free time to attempt to put a plan in place that will see Waterford in a better place in 10 years time. It might not be perfect but if we can hit the targets I think we will be in a lot stronger position than we are currently.
    A worry for me with it is that it doesn’t identify how we can improve our status in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

DiscoStew wrote: »
    The poster in question calling the committee buffoons is hardly helpful either? People who gave up their free time to attempt to put a plan in place that will see Waterford in a better place in 10 years time. It might not be perfect but if we can hit the targets I think we will be in a lot stronger position than we are currently.
    A worry for me with it is that it doesn’t identify how we can improve our status in football.

Tbf how would you describe the organising of the Jedward concert and what happened around the proposed centre of excellence that they tried to blame Martin Cullen for depite him being the one trying to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,869 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

[QUOTE=spaceCreated;116364097]Tbf how would you describe the organising of the Jedward concert and what happened around the proposed centre of excellence that they tried to blame Martin Cullen for depite him being the one trying to get it done.[/QUOTE]

Wasant a pissed Shane MacGowan also on that bill ?

Tbf how would you describe the organising of the Jedward concert and what happened around the proposed centre of excellence that they tried to blame Martin Cullen for depite him being the one trying to get it done.

Who was the chairperson of the board then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Who was the chairperson of the board then?

Pat Flynn

• Advertisement

Pat Flynn

Pat Flynn was not chair for the Jedward debacle.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20199521.html%3ftype=amp

Flynn was indeed chair for the timeframe Cullen referred to in his claims about building a stadium. Flynn is the County Secretary currently & if he wasn’t involved in the Strategic Review there would also be people complaining. It’s hard to win!

Pat Flynn was not chair for the Jedward debacle.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20199521.html%3ftype=amp

Flynn was indeed chair for the timeframe Cullen referred to in his claims about building a stadium. Flynn is the County Secretary currently & if he wasn’t involved in the Strategic Review there would also be people complaining. It’s hard to win!

Either way he’s one of a few on this ‘Waterford rising’ committee that’s served on a beaten docket of a county board that’s stumbled from one calamity to the next over many years. You talk about these lads ‘giving up their free time’ well they’ve already had 20 years of free time to come up with this new 10 year proposal and as I’ve said in an earlier post this is the basics that we all know should be in place anyway so there’s no big pat on the back from me.

I am encouraged to see guys in the calibre of Fergal Hartley and Michael Walsh involved however. Fellahs who actually have a track record of achieving and getting stuff done and not just in it to hear the sound of their own voices. But I’m not getting carried away the big problem is still the funding for all this interesting to see in a couple years will this Waterford rising will have progressed to

Either way he’s one of a few on this ‘Waterford rising’ committee that’s served on a beaten docket of a county board that’s stumbled from one calamity to the next over many years. You talk about these lads ‘giving up their free time’ well they’ve already had 20 years of free time to come up with this new 10 year proposal and as I’ve said in an earlier post this is the basics that we all know should be in place anyway so there’s no big pat on the back from me.

I am encouraged to see guys in the calibre of Fergal Hartley and Michael Walsh involved however. Fellahs who actually have a track record of achieving and getting stuff done and not just in it to hear the sound of their own voices. But I’m not getting carried away the big problem is still the funding for all this interesting to see in a couple years will this Waterford rising will have progressed to

Fair enough, but I think people can question your own commitment to bringing about change when you throw around such statements.
    I think bringing in Fergal & Mike is certainly a positive step like you mentioned. As was said before Walsh was always more than willing to bring his piece to the table, previous regimes were just not interested in hearing the ideas because they didn’t want to undertake the tasks.
    The current chairman seems to be making a good go of it but as you said, if the commercial arm aren’t successful then the whole thing fails in reality.

Fair enough, but I think people can question your own commitment to bringing about change when you throw around such statements.
    I think bringing in Fergal & Mike is certainly a positive step like you mentioned. As was said before Walsh was always more than willing to bring his piece to the table, previous regimes were just not interested in hearing the ideas because they didn’t want to undertake the tasks.
    The current chairman seems to be making a good go of it but as you said, if the commercial arm aren’t successful then the whole thing fails in reality.

So by your view, you never criticise someone’s performance, for example a sportsperson or a government official unless you have actually played at a similar level or put yourself forward for election yourself?

So by your view, you never criticise someone’s performance, for example a sportsperson or a government official unless you have actually played at a similar level or put yourself forward for election yourself?

Of course you can, you just won’t achieve anything by simply criticising. Which was the original point made when another poster quoted your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Nice piece in the Dungarvan Leader about the All Stars today. Puts how lucky we are into perspective when you think that Tony Browne was only Waterford's fifth ever All Star in 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

benji79 wrote: »
    I was listening to a podcast that Mike Quirke from Kerry is doing about coaching, he had Derek McGrath on as a guest.
    In passing McGrath mentions he joined De la Salle from I think he said St Saviours after there was a split in the club . I wasn’t aware of this, I thought he was always de la salle.
    But what really caught my attention was he said there was 25 or 26 people left the club. That sounds unreal that you’d have numbers like that leaving a club
    Does anyone here remember that or know more? Presume something like that must have been big news

i believe what happend was the saviours chairman at the time signed a release form for one player and alot of the others photocopied the signature to gain there own release and thats why there was alot of tension.

I believe saviours wouldve had alot better team than de la salle at the time and the club are probably suffering from a generational knock on now underage because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Nice piece in the Dungarvan Leader about the All Stars today. Puts how lucky we are into perspective when you think that Tony Browne was only Waterford's fifth ever All Star in 98.

One inaccuracy in that article, Tommy Walsh was also selected as an All Star in defence, midfield and attack.... But a small quibble.

Some change from when I was a kid to be complaining this year that we only got three all star awards, back then there was tumbleweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Deskjockey wrote: »
    One inaccuracy in that article, Tommy Walsh was also selected as an All Star in defence, midfield and attack.... But a small quibble.

Some change from when I was a kid to be complaining this year that we only got three all star awards, back then there was tumbleweed.

I dunno how they forgot Tommy Walsh, hardly one you couldn’t remember. He’s actually won awards on 4 different lines of the pitch which is incredible

Also on the father and son list they missed Tim & Tadgh Kennelly from Kerry so a few inaccuracies alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

JeffKenna wrote: »

Still hard to credit that Paul Flynn only received one All Star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

i believe what happend was the saviours chairman at the time signed a release form for one player and alot of the others photocopied the signature to gain there own release and thats why there was alot of tension.

I believe saviours wouldve had alot better team than de la salle at the time and the club are probably suffering from a generational knock on now underage because of it.
    Was there not a big bust up at the time..
    Saviours have got a lot of players taken from them for years with Mount Sion and Dé Lá Salle the chief suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Sounds a bit dodgy 😁

And was there a major reason why they all wanted to leave in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

JD60 wrote: »
    Up against DJ every year.

Poor return considering how important a player he was for us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Rosita

benji79 wrote: »
    I dunno how they forgot Tommy Walsh, hardly one you couldn’t remember. He’s actually won awards on 4 different lines of the pitch which is incredible

Incredible in the "remarkable, highly unusual sense" of the word but quite credible when you look close. He played for Kilkenny between 2002 and 2014 (as a player as opposed to substitute/panel member). The county played in 11 All-Ireland finals in those 13 years. Already Walsh had shortened odds on getting an All-Star. They won 9 of them which shortened his odds further.

The different positions is just a function of being moved around on the team. Some players were playing in the same positions all the time. And he hurled in an era when hard decisions between players could be avoided by broad nominations for the 'half back line' or whatever. Him getting an All-Star at midfield in 2003 is a joke since he was wing-forward not midfield for Kilkenny. That's the one incredible aspect. It literally defies belief.

Properly incredible might be Brick Walsh winning All-Stars in three lines, not necessarily because it was three lines (that's a matter of chance to a fair degree) but that he won these awards without winning an All Ireland medal. Given the link between the two his achievement is about the equivalent of about 12 All-Stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

bWS9g1Eo9AWC.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

deiseach wrote: »
    bWS9g1Eo9AWC.gif

Was there a major bust up in Walsh park after a saviours v de la sale match also.... back in early to mid 90’s....? Suspensions and some arrests also....?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Was there a major bust up in Walsh park after a saviours v de la sale match also.... back in early to mid 90’s....? Suspensions and some arrests also....?

there sure was .... lot of tension between the club's after people had moved to DLS from saviours. unfortunately the 2 clubs ended up in the senior hurling relegation game to add extra tension to the situation. I wasn't there but apparently it was desperate, game abandoned and never replayed, saviours deemed to be the guilty party and they were relegated and haven't made it back to senior since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Rosita

JD60 wrote: »

Only in the context of his ability. When you look at the circumstances it's not hard to credit. The All Stars reward and recognise primarily those who win the All Ireland final and then the runners-up. Those teams can usually expect at least 12 of the team. Despite the brilliant hurling Paul Flynn did, unfortunately he didn't fit into that category at all at his peak. For comparison, Kilkenny's Peter Barry was born the same year as Paul Flynn and his career roughly coincided with Flynn's. Barry won three All Stars, each one won in the year he played in an All Ireland final and two of them after the team had won the final. In that context it's easy to rationalise Flynn's lack of reward at the All Stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Was there not a big bust up at the time..
    Saviours have got a lot of players taken from them for years with Mount Sion and Dé Lá Salle the chief suspects.

Mt Sion took alot of players from clubs back then o Shea, kirwan , Harris all county minors from portlaw, white, dunhill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Mt Sion took alot of players from clubs back then o Shea, kirwan , Harris all county minors from portlaw, white, dunhill

Da gunners did a bit of it also.....Tom fives, Paul Foley.....probably a few more...?

Advertisement