Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O'Riordan RIP (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May she rest in peace

Zombie is her best song, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Trust Sky News to put both feet into their mouth! I'm not going to disrespect Diana, but other than they are both female and had their lives tragically cut short, they really bear no similarity at all.

Dolores was an extremely talented musician and a self-made woman whose star shone bright from an early age. Dianna was a princess. With comparisons like that, it's no wonder that you've a whole generation of little girls who seem to think a princess is something to aspire towards being!
    Dolores O'Riordan and the Cranberries show that you can be from a small Irish city, launch a band and reach the world.

I note they've also included it in "UK News" on their website.

The woman was from limerick sky news were interviewing people outside the church on Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

The Cranberries were an awful lamo band and her voice was like chalk on blackboards. Their fame was far beyond their 'talent' and I never understood this. I suspect she knew her and band were not worthy of their incredible success.

I would imagine the woman's inner world was very complex and troubling. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this finally over now? It's been lingering for far too long.

Mod-Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

_Dara_ wrote: »
    As someone with terminal cancer in her 30s, I can confirm that people are preoccupied with this whether they realise it or not. I get all kinds of roundabout probing questions about my condition and it’s clear that people are trying to reassure themselves by finding out if I brought it on myself. Unfortunately for them, I can’t offer them comfort. (Plus it’s really insensitive of them) There’s no known genetic link (my mother had postmenopausal BC but I have none of the gene mutations) and I lived a moderate lifestyle. So whilst people might want to know what she had so that they can reassure themselves, they likely won’t get the neat answer they are hoping for. So IMO there’s not a huge amount of value in knowing what struck her down.

What is a moderate lifestyle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

YFlyer wrote: »

Just to clear, is this a serious question? Are you really, seriously, going to question whether my lifestyle gave me terminal cancer in my 20s? And even if someone does lead a less-than-perfectly-healthy lifestyle, it's unlikely for those imperfections to cause problems until much later in life. In a 20 something, for your cell machinery to go awry is really unlucky unless you get one of the specific cancers that affects young people mostly. And that wasn't me.

My very experienced oncologist is of the opinion that I did nothing to bring this on myself. And he is a very forthright individual. When I gained weight on hormone therapy for the cancer, he wasn't long telling me I'd have to lose some of that weight.

But I'm used to insensitive people seeking to find out if I brought this on myself at this point. Why not one more?

FYI everyone. There are *some* things you can do to reduce your likelihood of getting cancer. But there is *nothing* you can do to complete eliminate the risk. I'm in various support groups for terminal cancer patients. There are marathon runners in attendance. Vegans. Vegetarians. Slim people. People who did everything right. And yet, here they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The Cranberries were an awful lamo band and her voice was like chalk on blackboards. Their fame was far beyond their 'talent' and I never understood this. I suspect she knew her and band were not worthy of their incredible success.

Maybe, just maybe, a lot of people appreciated their talent, hence their success...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Maybe, just maybe, a lot of people appreciated their talent, hence their success...

Possibly, just look at that talentless sheeran fella and the amount of followers he has. He's proof that the general public have no ear for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Possibly, just look at that talentless sheeran fella and the amount of followers he has. He's proof that the general public have no ear for music.

I wasn't a fan of the Cranberries or her myself, but can appreciate when someone dies far too young, especially when they were the mother of 3 children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I saw The Cranberries play in the Tivoli Theatre in Dublin just before they released their first album. It so long ago now that I remember little of the night. What I do remember was that the place was jammed with people and Dolores had the crowd in the palm of her hand. Another thing I remember and it was one of those rock and roll moments that will stay with me forever. They were playing Linger and close to the last few moments of the song Dolores started doing an Irish danc. The crowd went absolutely ballistic. It was incredible. I've been to many concerts since then and I've never seen a crowed react like that again.
    Rest in peace Dolores

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Dakota Dan wrote: »

ah no Castle on the Hill is a great song ...

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

That's one smart ass comment too far. Insensitive doesn't even cover it. Would you ask that of a colleague who shared a similar health prognosis? If not then don't come on here and do it anonymously to someone you don't even know.

And if you would, then there's not much anyone around here can do to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Out of interest, could you name 5 bands with a female vocalist who have a better top 10 songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Out of interest, could you name 5 bands with a female vocalist who have a better top 10 songs?

I’m sure there would be a few contenders with Blondie, Pretenders, Eurythmics prominent while the likes of Cockteau Twins, Catalonia, Siouxsie & Banshees didn’t sell so many records but earned plenty of critical acclaim. That said I would have Cranberries, at their best, at least on a par if not ahead of the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- A few people given one day bans for basically being massive dicks. I don't think people have read the warning in the opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The lady playing the piano has just been on a plane for 18 hours

and

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Amanda Palmer just released new versions of No Need To Argue and Zombie - on her bandcamp page - vocals and string quartet.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Are you afraid of cancer? Maybe that’s why you would ask a terminally ill sufferer to set out their previous living habits in regard of their diagnosis, to compare to your own habits.
    Even if you are I don’t think it’s appropriate or acceptable that you challenge her on her claim that her lifestyle was moderate.
    I don’t think you’d do that face to face, or maybe you would?

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Just to clear, is this a serious question? Are you really, seriously, going to question whether my lifestyle gave me terminal cancer in my 20s? And even if someone does lead a less-than-perfectly-healthy lifestyle, it's unlikely for those imperfections to cause problems until much later in life. In a 20 something, for your cell machinery to go awry is really unlucky unless you get one of the specific cancers that affects young people mostly. And that wasn't me.

My very experienced oncologist is of the opinion that I did nothing to bring this on myself. And he is a very forthright individual. When I gained weight on hormone therapy for the cancer, he wasn't long telling me I'd have to lose some of that weight.

But I'm used to insensitive people seeking to find out if I brought this on myself at this point. Why not one more?

FYI everyone. There are *some* things you can do to reduce your likelihood of getting cancer. But there is *nothing* you can do to complete eliminate the risk. I'm in various support groups for terminal cancer patients. There are marathon runners in attendance. Vegans. Vegetarians. Slim people. People who did everything right. And yet, here they are.

Hope you are getting on well.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    Are you afraid of cancer? Maybe that’s why you would ask a terminally ill sufferer to set out their previous living habits in regard of their diagnosis, to compare to your own habits.
    Even if you are I don’t think it’s appropriate or acceptable that you challenge her on her claim that her lifestyle was moderate.
    I don’t think you’d do that face to face, or maybe you would?

no I'm not.

Yes I would. Just gave my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

no I'm not.

Mod note: For safety sake, please don't post anyone's name in a public forum. If you want to give your name, please use PM.

Thanks in advance,
    Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

no I'm not.

Would you not think that it was a little bit needlessly intrusive to challenge a terminally ill person about life choices they made? In effect asking them to defend themselves from your unfounded suspicion that they are being less than honest about their lifestyle choices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Hope you are getting on well.

Thank you!

Mod note: For safety sake, please don't post anyone's name in a public forum. If you want to give your name, please use PM.

Thanks in advance,
    Buford T. Justice

Thank you.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Would you not think that it was a little bit needlessly intrusive to challenge a terminally ill person about life choices they made? In effect asking them to defend themselves from your unfounded suspicion that they are being less than honest about their lifestyle choices?

I made the comment not knowing Dara had an illness. Mainly due to not reading previous comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just thought I'd mention this, was waiting outside a supermarket this evening, just had Deezer blaring on the car stereo, wasn't even paying much attention to what was playing (it was set to "shuffle").

Anyway, it was the cranberries playing, "Dreams" was playing, only it was the acoustic version.

I'd say most of the song had played, prob a minute left or so when I spotted the better half emerging with the trolley, so I got out to help load the bags (being the gentleman I am) when I noticed an old woman (she was mid 70s if she was a day) standing with her similar aged husband waiting to get into her own car, parked next to mine.

She just looked at me, smiled, and said "you have an excellent taste in music". With both her and the husband smiling.

I can only assume that she had recognised whom exactly was playing, and she was in fact acknowledging just how beautiful the song was, and in some way saying Dolores had passed way before her time.

As I said. Just thought I'd share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Drowned in the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

...due to alcohol intoxication :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

What a waste of an incredible talent.

Advertisement