Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Jaysus, you'll be left talking to only yourself and I'd say you'll still find a way to disagree. Last week took more out of you than it did Joyce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Garcia was hurt, but I don't think he displayed the same level of desire to get up as Tommy Coyle (for both knockdowns in round 6 and the one in round 11) against Daniel Brizuela.

I also think if that knockdown happened in the last 10 seconds of round 12, and Garcia was well ahead, he'd have found a way to will himself off the floor.

I'm not really a fan of the Q word, and fighters being labelled with it. I also don't doubt that he was hurt by that shot. But I would say if his life depended on it, he'd have found a way to get up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Firstly I used to post regularly on this forum many years ago. I got tired of the crap that was being spouted here so didn't bother posting for a long time. The best poster moved away as well, his username is Big Ears.

Big Ears knows boxing, I'd be quite confident he was involved in the sport in some way. There were some other good posters on here years ago who knew the game very well. There's some very good posters here now too, they just get drowned out by all the crap posted by walshb.

walshb has been nothing but a troll for donkey's years. I put up with it for a long time, at least 14 years, but I'm tired of it.

Anybody claiming a fighter quit because he could have fought on after a body punch hasn't a clue about the sport. That's the last straw for me. Even if he did quit there is absolutely no reason to suspect it. The lad has no history of doing anything like that. These comments are like Donald Trump's supporters claiming the election was rigged. That was the last straw for me.

If you watched last night you'll have seen that Garcia didn't go down immediately. He backed up and then went down to one knee. He started to get up twice during the count but winced in pain from the effort. I'm certain he didn't quit.

As for me, I boxed when I was young but had to quit due to an eye problem which I still have.

I was brought to the national stadium at least 20 times every year from the age of 6 until my mid teens when I was old enough to go myself.

I was trained to judge fights by a legend named Tom Foxe who managed the Irish boxing team at the Barcelona Olympics. He was a family friend and somebody I got very close to.

I got to know Mick Dowling, Paul Buttimer, Hughie Russell Barry McGuigan and Wayne McCullough amongst others.

McGuigan was a family friend too, I was in his parents house the night he returned to Clones with the world title.

I went to school with the Carruth triplets for a few years, we used to mess around with boxing, at school and in their front garden from five years of age until I left Walkinstown at 8 years of age. Michael hit harder than his two brothers but they were all good at that age. I was heavily involved in the sport up until about fifteen years ago when I moved down the country after I got married.

I still attend amateur boxing regularly. I've been to plenty of pro fights too. I had a subscription to the Ring Magazine from 1988 until 2008 when I moved down the country. I coached kids for over twenty years.

None of the above means I'm an expert and am always right. I regularly get things wrong about how a fight will go or about an upcoming prospect.

Anyway I will stay around for a while longer now that I've put those two on ignore but if there's more like that I'll leave.

If you think I know nothing about the sport you are very mistaken. If you think walshb knows his stuff you are sadly mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Let’s all just calm down and settle this like real men. IQ test!!!!!!

I agree with this. But this could now see you labeled as someone who hasn’t a clue about the sport; daring to suggest that a fighter quit, or to put it less bluntly, decided he didn’t want to carry on. There should be no dislike of the word quit.. it happens in all walks of human life, and we are all capable of it. Part of being human.

Post edited by walshb on

Andy Ruiz: not sure what ‘should have risked his life’ is needed for.

“I was going for Ryan, but he gave up, man. I feel like he gave up. I feel like he should’ve did what he had to do to win the fight.

“When we get [knocked] down, we’ve got to get back up, man. We’ve got to ask God for that victory. I feel like that’s what he should’ve done.

“I still feel Ryan should’ve did more, man. He should’ve risked his life more.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

can you put yourself on ignore too just in case you start another argument or challenge yourself to an IQ test lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

And there was me thinking Joshua would win the most absurd tantrum of the year award.

I’d love to see the reaction to Big Ears’ post as well. Another ignore for being clueless. That is an impressive boxing cv, well done. Maintaining a friendship with McGuigan is the most impressive part.

Many boxers past and present have suggested that Garcia had more to give. The Q word isn’t nice I agree but that doesn’t mean it’s inaccurate.

What has me scratching my head is that with all that boxing experience and contacts and involvement for years and years, and to then get so uptight and offended and exasperated because of a simple disagreement. Some think that he quit, and some don't....

Hardly a life changing disagreement.....and this then gets you labeled as not having a clue about the sport.......

Anyway, best to thread carefully now, as the poster has said anymore crap talk and he will leave!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Our very own Luke Caffrey went 4-0 with a 1st round stoppage yesterday evening. He’s an exciting fighter who’s starting to make a name for himself around Manchester.

So many promising looking young Irish pros at the minute between Pierce O’Leary, Cully, Carty, Moran, Caffrey there’s plenty to keep an eye on.

Just on Garcia and where he goes from here. Moving to 140 now. For me he will do well as long as he is matched against certain opponents.

Reminds me a lot of Amir Khan, only not as good. That same tight/frenetic/hyper style: Will always get found out when he steps up.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭reclose

What’s the point of personal insults when disagreeing over a boxing match? Just argue your points respectfully. If everyone had the same opinion the forum would be pointless.

It’s ok to have different opinions. The only person who knows the truth is Ryan…and I still haven’t seen the fight.

Yes. Spot on. No idea why anyone would get so hot under the collar about such benign disagreements.

as to Ryan only knowing the truth: if we were to apply this “rule” then there would be no such thing as anyone quitting under similar circumstances. All about levels I guess.

on a 1-10 scale of did he quit, with 10 being a certainty, he’s an 8 for me.

Post edited by walshb on

Yea I’m pretty sure about it, he was hurt but not in agony. I rather say decided rather than quit. I’m not disgusted with him or anything.

Garcia opted out in my opinion and that’s his choice, sometimes the mind takes over and looks for a way out even when the body is capable of so much more

he’s now saying he was betrayed by one of his team, no idea what that’s about tbh

• Advertisement

Boxers never make excuses but always make excuses!

He was saying about the mole before the fight and Team Davis also were. It didn't take a mole to reveal the way the fight would pan out.

liam smith v chris eubank rematch looks set to be june 17th in manchester

What’s the prediction here repeat or revenge? I was surprised by how easily Smith dealt with Eubank. Thought Eubank would win it easily

An interesting question and one I have been thinking about. Very difficult to answer, because neither man is great. They are both so so.

They could fight 100 times and it could be any combination any way....

I will lean with Smith, because of two things: He has better fundamentals, discipline and volume; and Eubank I don't think has fight changing power.

Would both knocking each other out be too much to ask? 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i thought Eubank would win as well, either he is worse than i thought or it really was an off night, i expect him to win a rematch on the basis he cant be as bad again.

I sided with Eubank by the smallest of margins. It never ever felt easy, as Eubank is not that good.

no, neither is smith, maybe Eubank is worse that i thought!

Neither are great tbh when Eubank has come up against strong opposition he doesn’t look good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Smith v Eubank is on box office again. I’ll be giving it a miss for a second time.

It's not even a fight I would bother looking for a stream for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Ah now, Davis was well up on all scorecards and Stevie Wonder could see he was in control.

Once Garcia was on his arse in the 2nd, he lost confidence and that was it really, we were just waiting for the KO in some form. Garcia had his moments, but this was not close at all, Davis just had so so much on Garcia and his fight IQ was on show throughout.

Davis was totally dominating it.

I don’t doubt that he was ahead on the cards, but he was far from dominating. Plenty close action, and apart from round 2, some close rounds.

It was an over-stretch to say Tank was dominating, or as you say, totally dominating. Dominating to me is clear superiority. No way it was that. Even compubox (one metric) couldn’t come close to backing up an assertion of dominating.

Agreed on the KD. Garcia looked to be quite timid after it. But he still was very competitive, until he got hurt, and had felt (I believe) that Tank was starting to take over, before quitting.

I suppose my definition of domination is the one fight has control that he isn't exerting too much, and making the other look like they are working extra hard. Davis had control over all of it (call it domination or not), he was never in doubt at any stage of the fight.

He had most rounds in the bag, and a 10-8 in Rd2 as well. How is that not dominating?

I tend to agree with you. I’d say dominating is where one fighter is clearly ahead of the other and that air of inevitability to it. Once Garcia went down in 2 nothing else looked like happening. He did back Tank up a time or two and was in the rounds. Put it this way I’d say it was closer to saying Tank dominated the fight than to say it was even.

You can win a fight 120-108 and still it can be an extremely closely fought fight. So, card scores aren’t always the same as what is happening.

Dominating on the scorecards does not necessarily mean you dominated in the actual physical sense.

I guess it comes down to what we view as dominating: if someone says to me “did you see the fight last night? Boxer A totally dominated boxer B.” I would expect to see a very clear difference in performance between boxer A and B.

I absolutely did not see that with Tank and Ryan. Yes, Tank was winning and was ahead, but it wasn’t to the point where I could call it him totally dominating.

Totally dominating for me would be similar to Pacquiao-Margarito or Floyd-Gatti or Floyd-Corrales or Calzaghe-Lacy..

We can agree to disagree so, no harm in that.

I saw Davis just bide his time and make Garcia question everything he was doing, Davis looked in little to no trouble at all whereas Garcia was struggling to get a grasp on any sort of attack other than moving forward. He was really banking on his left hook, and he is massively exposed when he throws it, Davis exploited that so easily in the 2nd.

There was a clear difference in skills and class for me in this fight.

Garcia is just not that good. Something I said before this fight.

I still think he did ok up to the KO. Now, the main reason I think he did ok was his physical height and reach advantages. There was a element of Tank being contained. Tank had to adjust to that. There was roughly 20 minutes of action. Of that 20 minutes I felt there was more than enough to suggest it was not a domination job.

if Tank was bit taller and longer, I reckon he does more a number on Garcia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You absolutely can't agree to disagree. Meet up and go for an IQ test with him.

I can't say I watched the same fight in that regard at all. I saw Tank just bide his time more and more, Garcia was reaching a lot and became punch shy after the knockdown. Lots of holding back, not engaging and when he did, it was hail Mary stuff in the hope his left would catch him.

No point in saying "if Tank was bigger" etc, the taller fighter in this looked average at times. It might be a consequence of being a bit incubated career wise, or that Tank is just levels above him, which he showed.

No disagreement from me on who was better and who was winning. Tank!

my point about Garcia doing ok was mainly due to his physical advantages. I don’t think he’s that good. But he’s not useless. His reach and length made it somewhat difficult for the shorter Tank. Tank did start adjusting and becoming the winner, no doubt.

put it this way: remove Garcia’s physical advantages and Tank does a far easier number on him.

anyway, nice to discuss and debate with points and feedback and reasons, without anyone getting irritated!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Completely agree with everything you say but just to add that there's nobody near the class of Davis. He is the undoubted P4P best in the business right now and if he continues like this for a couple more years he'll have to be considered near the top of the all time list.

I do agree that Garcia only had size to his advantage. I just never saw Tank struggle or worry in the slightest, he did maybe a bit better than what was expected but I legit had Davis cruising and just a step ahead. For me to consider it at all closer than it was would be for Garcia to have a few more than some fleeting moments over all.

No irritation from me, happy to have a nice chat about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Robert Nairac

I think Garcia could have beaten the count but he decided he had enough. I haven't seen many fighters at that level as impatient as he is. Got wild in round 2 and then got cracked with a counter.

Parker v django announce for may 24th

cant recall ever hearing about Django before so I checked his box rec and he lost to Lucas browne a couple of fights ago so looks like a knock over for Parker

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Butson

Tank v Garcia was a massive success in America - huge PPV buys.

In an age where you can essentially find a stream by opening up twitter, never mind having an IPTV account, it's a good sign for the sport.

Imagine, putting on the fights people want to see. It might catch on!

• Advertisement

Advertisement