Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭893bet

Lads, a couple of neighbours are signing up for this and they have asked me for help. Both are registered on agfood.ie as they need this already for the single payment (BPS).
    Am I right in saying that the inputted data, cattle weights etc can only be inputted on www.icbf.com and not agfood.ie ............... or can they just fill in the forms and send them in themselves?

I did mine all last year on www.icbf.com.

Also, can a few of us share the scales for the day.

The 60 quid per year on herdplus app is more than worth it for convienience of beep, bdgp and thinks like tracking expected calving dates, serve date etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Is it not compulsory to be on icbf for the likes of these schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

High bike wrote:
    just the cows afaik

Do all the cows need a sample of faeces taken or just a few in the herd.
    I think someone mentioned here or I read somewhere else that you could say powerhose a pen and leave a few cows in it for couple hrs and then come back and take you samples?

pure breed wrote: »
    I think someone mentioned here or I read somewhere else that you could say powerhose a pen and leave a few cows in it for couple hrs and then come back and take you samples?

I think per the scheme the samples are supposed to be labelled to the specific cow and then you need to dose in accordance with the results.

pure breed wrote: »

I think per the scheme the samples are supposed to be labelled to the specific cow and then you need to dose in accordance with the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Shur, chase a cow around the field and when she sh1ts herself, take the sample.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jeo John

I signed up for Beep a week ago how do you know if application is accepted??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Jeo John wrote: »
    I signed up for Beep a week ago how do you know if application is accepted??

You can check on Agfood.ie under BEEP-S, Applications, view Application. Or you can check on ICBF.com. I'm not sure if you need Herdplus to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Is it not compulsory to be on icbf for the likes of these schemes

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Joined up after saying was done with any more schemes (fed up with inspections etc ) but like bord bia it is almost compulsory by default to be in. A lot of these schemes seem to be dreamed up by people justifying their jobs by doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Joined up after saying was done with any more schemes (fed up with inspections etc ) but like bord bia it is almost compulsory by default to be in. A lot of these schemes seem to be dreamed up by people justifying their jobs by doing something.

As long as I keep getting money, I hope they keep justifying their jobs.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Dunedin wrote: »
    As long as I keep getting money, I hope they keep justifying their jobs.......

I suppose but income from actual farming seems to go down by the same amount as we get in
    payments opening us up to criticism from anti farming types that were unviable. also as I get older these scheme ( including glas ) seem more like dole payments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Feck all these penny making schemes around making farmers jump through hoops for pittance..it far past time that farm produce actually made a decent price that wouldn't require loads of stupid subsidies and grants..the eu have now given an initial 80million to irish meat factories to store excess meat for up to 6 months..AND the president of ifa was bladdering that at least the door was open and there would hopefully room for much more money from the EU to meat processors.. and wait for it the ifa guy then went on to say that hopefully the meat factories might be able to pass some of the 80m onto the farmers when there selling their animals into the factories... ok good to see brown envelopes are still around ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Feck all these penny making schemes around making farmers jump through hoops for pittance..it far past time that farm produce actually made a decent price that wouldn't require loads of stupid subsidies and grants..the eu have now given an initial 80million to irish meat factories to store excess meat for up to 6 months..AND the president of ifa was bladdering that at least the door was open and there would hopefully room for much more money from the EU to meat processors.. and wait for it the ifa guy then went on to say that hopefully the meat factories might be able to pass some of the 80m onto the farmers when there selling their animals into the factories... ok good to see brown envelopes are still around ..

Well there is a post straight from the Beefplan playbook

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

playbook ? that implies forward planning , and a coherent strategy to achieve concrete results
    no chance .

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

From reading the criteria for the Faecal samples, it states that a min of 10 samples be taken and that the cows tag be recorded for each container. It reads like every cow needs to be sampled, could be a while watching & waiting for cows to sh#te in the yard!! Am i interpreting it correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

Turbohymac wrote: »
    the eu have now given an initial 80million to irish meat factories to store excess meat for up to 6 months ..

Just wondering....would it have made more sense to send back the unsold cuts to the farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

From reading the criteria for the Faecal samples, it states that a min of 10 samples be taken and that the cows tag be recorded for each container. It reads like every cow needs to be sampled, could be a while watching & waiting for cows to sh#te in the yard!! Am i interpreting it correctly

Run 10 of them up the crush. Stick a gloved finger in her bum and she’ll give you a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

so on the vaccination option,
    is there a reason we can't vaccinate them as calves as oppose to having to tackle them as weanlings.
    I thought from here https://www.bovilis.ie/pneumonia/ it would make more sense to do then as calves but from below it looks like its only to be done max 8 weeks prior to weaning/housing/sale

Applicants must choose one of the following vaccination protocols:
    Option 1. (if there is a short time before risk period or if cattle can only be handled once)
    Single RSV and Pi3 Intranasal 2 to 4 weeks before weaning/housing/sale
    At the same time, a Single (or 2 dose program) IBR live intra-muscular injection (2 to 4
    weeks before weaning/housing/sale)

Option 2. (if there is more time before risk period or a broader coverage including bacteria isrequired)
    First subcutaneous injection of RSV, Pi3 and Mannhaemia haemolytica dead, 6 to 8
    weeks before weaning/housing/sale
    Second subcutaneous injection of RSV, Pi3 and Mannhaemia haemolytica dead, 2 to 4weeks before weaning/housing/sale
    At the same time as the second injection, a Single IBR live intra-muscular, 2 to 4 weeks before weaning/housing/sale

The procedures in both options must be completed in full and are equally applicable to both spring and autumn born calves

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Sligoronan wrote: »
    Did anybody register scales yet. I can seem to find how to do so on the ICBF site.

Give ICBF a buzz on (023) 8832883 and they'll advise you as to what to do fairly lively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Give ICBF a buzz on (023) 8832883 and they'll advise you as to what to do fairly lively
    When you login
    Select BEEP-S under Services
    Select View/Register Own Scales
    Then Register/Add scales

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Watched the cows today when I was moving them to a bit of grass. Most of them did a poop when they stood up. Gathering sh1te won't be a problem.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

Watched the cows today when I was moving them to a bit of grass. Most of them did a poop when they stood up. Gathering sh1te won't be a problem.

How will they know who did what sh1te. We hardly have to genomic tag the sh1te now too?

Grueller wrote: »
    How will they know who did what sh1te. We hardly have to genomic tag the sh1te now too?

The dung samples don't have to be linked to specific cows afaik.

Am i right in saying that all cows have to be weighed this year including the cows that were weighed last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

tanko wrote: »
    The dung samples don't have to be linked to specific cows afaik.

The specs read as if the sample needs to be labelled for each cow though

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Am i right in saying that all cows have to be weighed this year including the cows that were weighed last year?

Yeah all cows have to be weighed again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Sugarbowl wrote: »

Yeah all cows have to be weighed again
    Ye for anyone that has signed up if you look at the list of cows to be weighed its all cows that calved since the 1st July, even if they were weighed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

Got a quote from Animal Health Labs for faecal testing at €25 a poop, container/post included.

Seems we have to do 10 samples regardless of herd size, that leaves about fifty quid for my time scooping ****e, anyone else get a quote for the testing.

Justjens wrote: »
    Got a quote from Animal Health Labs for faecal testing at €25 a poop, container/post included.

Seems we have to do 10 samples regardless of herd size, that leaves about fifty quid for my time scooping ****e, anyone else get a quote for the testing.

25 yoyos a poop really is taking the pi$$, i wonder how much they were charging before this scheme?
    I see Oldcastle Labs on the list, must give them a ring on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭High bike

25 yoyos a poop really is taking the pi$$, i wonder how much they were charging before this scheme?
    I see Oldcastle Labs on the list, must give them a ring on Monday.
    where did u get the list of labs?

Advertisement