Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    where did u get the list of labs?

agriculture.gov.ie/beep-s
    Down the bottom of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭High bike

tanko wrote: »
    agriculture.gov.ie/beep-s
    Down the bottom of the page
    sound thanks 1st year in it so just getting the hang of it.Thats some RIP off 25e a sh1t:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭893bet

Justjens wrote: »
    Got a quote from Animal Health Labs for faecal testing at €25 a poop, container/post included.

Seems we have to do 10 samples regardless of herd size, that leaves about fifty quid for my time scooping ****e, anyone else get a quote for the testing.

Are you required to prove that you dosed then in accordance with the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Might be able to shop around : here's one for a start.

https://www.farmlab.ie/product/beep-scheme-kit/

sound thanks 1st year in it so just getting the hang of it.Thats some RIP off 25e a sh1t:D

Are you sure it's not €25 for ten samples?

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Are you required to prove that you dosed then in accordance with the results?

It says to discuss results with your vet and record what you treated your cows with then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Got a quote from Animal Health Labs for faecal testing at €25 a poop, container/post included.

Seems we have to do 10 samples regardless of herd size, that leaves about fifty quid for my time scooping ****e, anyone else get a quote for the testing.

Where's there's muck, there's money.

Just not for the farmer:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

25 yoyos a poop really is taking the pi$$, i wonder how much they were charging before this scheme?
    I see Oldcastle Labs on the list, must give them a ring on Monday.
    I got an email from them during the week saying that they are one of the approved labs and stating that "testing could cost as little as €1 per sample, giving you maximum profit of €9 per animal tested"

"Full payment for testing (and/or kits and courier) must be paid in full prior to testing commencing."
    Contact them for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭893bet

Base price wrote: »
    I got an email from them during the week saying that they are one of the approved labs and stating that "testing could cost as little as €1 per sample, giving you maximum profit of €9 per animal tested"

"Full payment for testing (and/or kits and courier) must be paid in full prior to testing commencing."
    Contact them for more information.

I rang one of the labs (I think Kerry one) and they said 15 a sample test (plus the cost of the containers etc).

Hard to see one place doing it for a euro and another for 15-20. Something not adding up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Base price wrote:

Is this Oldcastle Labs that quoted you €1 per sample?? Thanks

Are you sure it's not €25 for ten samples?

Don’t know that’s what a previous poster said,25 for 10 samples sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

25 yoyos a poop really is taking the pi$$, i wonder how much they were charging before this scheme?
    I see Oldcastle Labs on the list, must give them a ring on Monday.

Pretty sure it was €25 a pop and I was to do 10, easy to check next week.

I was a bit lost for words so I may have taken them up wrong, but it's hard to see them charging €25 for the lot when they include containers and shipping costs (both ways I think).

If anyone else gets a better quote let us know ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Pretty sure it was €25 a pop and I was to do 10, easy to check next week.

I was a bit lost for words so I may have taken them up wrong, but it's hard to see them charging €25 for the lot when they include containers and shipping costs (both ways I think).

If anyone else gets a better quote let us know ;);)
    I think from what I got it’s €25 for 10 cows
    You send in 10 samples & 2 are tested

This is the Irish Equine Science Lab 2019 price list, go to Page 14 - Bovine faecal testing - Fluke and Rumen fluke:

Fluke egg screen (Liver and Rumen Fluke)
    Egg counts are not reported for fluke screen
    1 – 2 days for result €12.50

http://www.irishequinecentre.ie/Content/pdf/IEC%20FULL%20Price%20List%20March%202019%20FINAL.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

According to the Dept's website, the laboratories for dung sample testing are;

Irish Equine Centre, Naas
    Animal Health Laboratories Ltd., Bandon
    Farm Lab Diagnostics, Elphin
    Oldcastle Laboratories, Oldcastle
    Paralabs, Portumna
    Agri Diagnostics Ireland Ltd., Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

pure breed wrote: »
    Is this Oldcastle Labs that quoted you €1 per sample?? Thanks
    As I said in the post their email said - "testing could cost as little as €1 per sample, giving you maximum profit of €9 per animal tested"
    I would be cautious of the use of the word "could". You would need to speak to them directly. We get dung samples tested with them from time to time but they have to booked through our Vet. I collect and deliver the samples directly. Our Vet doesn't charge us for booking them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

FarmLab: 15euro plus postage for testing; You order the kit online and the carry out the testing based on 10 samples pooled.

Paralabs: 30euro plus postage for testing; Same as above, order a kit & return

Anyone us either of these before? Im waiting on replies from the other labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

FarmLab: 15euro plus postage for testing; You order the kit online and the carry out the testing based on 10 samples pooled.

My vet does all his lab work with Vetlab

is that for the 10 samples or each?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

is that for the 10 samples or each?

That's for the 10 samples.

That's for the 10 samples.
    that's reasonable enough, what do mean by 10 samples pooled are they all put in the same container and mixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sent off my samples last week, only had 10, separate sample tubes for each cow.

Got my results back yesterday, very quick in fairness. Not sure why I’d send off 10 separate samples when this is format of the results?

I’ve emailed them back to see if I need to do anything else for BEEP or do they do it, I can’t see anything on the ICBF website for inputting results. I’ve also asked for the individual results

For completeness, the only thing missing off the test results below is my address and herd number

514715.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Green&Red wrote: »
    Sent off my samples last week, only had 10, separate sample tubes for each cow.

Got my results back yesterday, very quick in fairness. Not sure why I’d send off 10 separate samples when this is format of the results?

I’ve emailed them back to see if I need to do anything else for BEEP or do they do it, I can’t see anything on the ICBF website for inputting results. I’ve also asked for the individual results

For completeness, the only thing missing off the test results below is my address and herd number

514715.jpeg
    Fair play, you're on the ball. What's the plan now? Run results by the vet?

trg wrote: »
    Fair play, you're on the ball. What's the plan now? Run results by the vet?

Ya, herd test is in a couple of weeks so I’ll have a chat to him about it. I treat for fluke so not sure how I deal with. The low positive would kinda suggest it’s not a major issue, or that’s how I’d read it

Only signed up a month ago to beeps and was looking to sell a few weanlings over next couple wks. I haven't weighed them yet with a scales.
    If I weigh them today could I sell them next week for example?
    I tried ringing Portlaoise but they aren't taking any calls on Beep s due to Covid only emails. Thanks

Only signed up a month ago to beeps and was looking to sell a few weanlings over next couple wks. I haven't weighed them yet with a scales.
    If I weigh them today could I sell them next week for example?
    I tried ringing Portlaoise but they aren't taking any calls on Beep s due to Covid only emails. Thanks

You can see them the next day, I did it last year. You’ll need to take the dung sample before you sell I’d imagine

Green&Red wrote:
    You can see them the next day, I did it last year. You’ll need to take the dung sample before you sell I’d imagine

I thought the dung sample had to be taken from only 10 cows if I remember correctly.

I thought the dung sample had to be taken from only 10 cows if I remember correctly.
    i think that too 10 cows only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Stupid question but anyway ... wat did ye collect the dung sample in and where did year send it to

Advertisement