Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

lab man wrote: »
    Stupid question but anyway ... wat did ye collect the dung sample in and where did year send it to

I used Oldcastle labs
    They sent out a small pot

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

High bike wrote:
    i think that too 10 cows only

We are going to leave the dung samples till weighing the spring born calves in September / October. Dunno if that's right or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Aravo

Oldcastle lab are e25 to test the 10 samples. They will send out the containers. Have herd test coming up so plan to do the dung samples then. One less job to do down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

Aravo wrote: »
    Oldcastle lab are e25 to test the 10 samples. They will send out the containers. Have herd test coming up so plan to do the dung samples then. One less job to do down the line.

25 per sample? That ain’t cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

The crowd in elphin are €15

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    25 per sample? That ain’t cheap.

e25 for 10 samples, 2.50 per sample. Oldcastle do the BVD here so am happy to stick with them.

Have the dung samples to be special post like the BVD samples

Green&Red wrote: »
    The crowd in elphin are €15
    e25 for 10 samples, 2.50 per sample. Oldcastle do the BVD here so am happy to stick with them.

Have the dung samples to be special post like the BVD samples

As above, the 10 are for €15 in Elphin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

pure breed wrote: »
    We are going to leave the dung samples till weighing the spring born calves in September / October. Dunno if that's right or wrong?
    same here herd test in a months time and do it all in the one day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

High bike wrote: »
    same here herd test in a months time and do it all in the one day

Very easy do dung sample in a field, cattle all lying down, walk up to them, they stand up and shiit, very easy

Very easy do dung sample in a field, cattle all lying down, walk up to them, they stand up and shiit, very easy

That’s it & then you can dose at herd test

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if Enfer Labs test the dung samples,I send my bvd samples there

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Did this yesterday evening, just takes a bit of patience. It took 45min for 10 from the 19 i have to go!

Samples sent back this morning so be interesting to see the results

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

High bike wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Enfer Labs test the dung samples,I send my bvd samples there
    AFAIK they don't do dung samples. I also send our bvd sample there but send dung samples to Oldcastle labs. I suppose I should send the bvd's to Oldcastle but it's hard to change a habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Do we just go away and order a dung test from one of the labs? Is there any other formality to be done on ICBF etc to submit that we have done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭minerleague

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Do we just go away and order a dung test from one of the labs? Is there any other formality to be done on ICBF etc to submit that we have done it?

rang Animal health labs bandon ( do my bvd) 25 euro and they send U the test kit

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Sugarbowl wrote:

Looks like it.
    I Rang the Dept about Beep s and there is a voice message saying they aren't taking calls about Beep Scheme due to Covid 19, sent a email. Not much good asking my oul lad and similar to him to send an email. lazy!!!!

Sugarbowl wrote: »

Elphin told me they notify the department

Base price wrote: »
    AFAIK they don't do dung samples. I also send our bvd sample there but send dung samples to Oldcastle labs. I suppose I should send the bvd's to Oldcastle but it's hard to change a habit.
    Your right they don’t I rang this morning,got on to the Equine Centre 22 e for the 10 samples including postage results in 24 hrs

Got my sample bottles from Oldcastle. They are huge each one holds 100ml. The dept. Docs state a heaped teaspoonful of material per sample. Home much is needed to test a sample. I ain't fillings the things or half filling them. Would 30ml be enough. I see it cost approx. e15 to courier out the empty bottles to me.
    Anyone used Oldcastle recently

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

I have entered the scheme and just wondering on something. I have had my last 2 cows calf there during week and that means both cow will have 2 calves in the reference period as they both had calves last July. Will I get paid for 2 calves to one cow. Still have the July 2019 calves on Farm.

• Advertisement

TPF2012 wrote: »
    I have entered the scheme and just wondering on something. I have had my last 2 cows calf there during week and that means both cow will have 2 calves in the reference period as they both had calves last July. Will I get paid for 2 calves to one cow. Still have the July 2019 calves on Farm.
    f they calved twice in the reference period don't see why not, sure just weigh em and see what happens

From T&C's weighing Requirement 2 - Unweaned live calf and dam to be weighed on same day.

From T&C's weighing Requirement 2 - Unweaned live calf and dam to be weighed on same day.
    well that answers that question

Got my sample bottles from Oldcastle. They are huge each one holds 100ml. The dept. Docs state a heaped teaspoonful of material per sample. Home much is needed to test a sample. I ain't fillings the things or half filling them. Would 30ml be enough. I see it cost approx. e15 to courier out the empty bottles to me.
    Anyone used Oldcastle recently

Used them, very satisfied
    It costs €15 to courier back too unless you use post office
    If using Courier give Oldcastle a days notice as Couriers are very busy

I filled the cup from 1 cow, that’s all we needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

I'm nearly sure that I got paid on a few like this last year

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭irishguy19772

Can I just ask about last year's cows. If they are already weaned last Oct, what is the reason for collecting data on them this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Magic A

Green&Red wrote: »
    You can see them the next day, I did it last year. You’ll need to take the dung sample before you sell I’d imagine

Also if you have selected the meal feeding option you have to feed meal 4 weeks before weaning and 2 weeks after

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

Can I just ask about last year's cows. If they are already weaned last Oct, what is the reason for collecting data on them this year?

If they weaned last October surely they have another calf at foot at this point?

If not they should be hanging up.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭irishguy19772

No. They are due to calve in next few weeks. My question is I have 5 calves from cows this year that need weaning. I also have 2 from last year that seem to be part of the scheme, but since they are already weaned should I just exclude then?

• Advertisement

No. They are due to calve in next few weeks. My question is I have 5 calves from cows this year that need weaning. I also have 2 from last year that seem to be part of the scheme, but since they are already weaned should I just exclude then?

Exclude nothing
    Weigh everything, maybe now & later in the year
    2 calves is €180
    Maybe you might not be paid on them, but if you exclude you’ll definitely not be paid

Advertisement