Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef strike II what's a fair base price for the Autumn for R=3= steers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Panch18 wrote: »
    So what was discussed and what was agreed at your meeting freedom?

The proposed agreement and whether we (the protesters at that particular factory) should carry on with the blockade or not. It got heated at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

gozunda wrote: »
    One pased me at the top of the road today and the stench was eye watering.

Ye they collected my calf on Tuesday evening. Smell from the lorry was gross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

PeadarCo wrote: »
    That's not the way it operates in the chicken business around here.

There is at least one chicken processor in Ireland that operates like that. Farmers farm the chickens but feed and the chickens are all provided and sold back at an agreed price. Chicken farmers are in n a different market to beef farmers. Apparently due to Irish tastes there aren't enough chicken farmers in Ireland to provide the all the chicken demanded in Ireland or at least the white meat part of the chicken(apparently Ireland has to import white meat from chickens but exports every other part due to different Irish and international tastes). From talking to a person working in a factory this gives chicken farmers far far more bargaining power than beef farmers. If a factory wants Irish chicken the options appear to be far more limited than the beef market.
    Yeah a lot of the chicken feet are dumped on the West African market which causes it's own share of disruption there.

The growers around here pay for their own feed. In the old days it was sourced through the processors, by nowadays it's manufactured to a set recipe by independent millers. Who owns the chickens is a funny one given the closed market of hatcheries, the low value of day old, and the contract for the finished bird. There's no blue cards anyway.
    Anyway, business aside, it's no model of farming to be aspiring to on the whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Panch18 wrote: »
    So what was discussed and what was agreed at your meeting freedom?

The proposed agreement and whether we (the protesters at that particular factory) should carry on with the blockade or not. It got heated at times.

What was the conclusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What was the conclusion?

Waterford was stood down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

The poll really shows how clueless and useless some farmers are when it comes to figures.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The poll really shows how clueless and useless some farmers are when it comes to figures.

Might not be all farmers voting there. to see results you have to vote;).

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lads would have voted as to what price would encourage them to stay in business. In 182-24 months time and you see store numbers back by up to half a million reflect on this.

From the journal today weanling prices are underpinned by exporters. 10+boats expected to go between now and Christmas. That 25-30k cattle. Add to that what will go on the ferry to Europe as much again? FR weanlings being exported at 1.3/kg and Irish store farmers unwilling to buy at that price. Next spring exporters will snap up FR and Continental calves and export them. JEX calves slaughtered wholesale Suckler farmers will reduce output next year as there BEEP scheme ends. Expect cattle numbers to drop significantly from next year on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lads would have voted as to what price would encourage them to stay in business. In 182-24 months time and you see store numbers back by up to half a million reflect on this.

From the journal today weanling prices are underpinned by exporters. 10+boats expected to go between now and Christmas. That 25-30k cattle. Add to that what will go on the ferry to Europe as much again? FR weanlings being exported at 1.3/kg and Irish store farmers unwilling to buy at that price. Next spring exporters will snap up FR and Continental calves and export them. JEX calves slaughtered wholesale Suckler farmers will reduce output next year as there BEEP scheme ends. Expect cattle numbers to drop significantly from next year on

Last Suckler farmer I know has sold the cows this year, all dairy bred whiteheads and pollies now.

25 less fantastic Bullocks from one townland, replicated for miles around I'm sure.

In an area with cheaper dairy bred animals, hard to justify Suckler in my humble opinion.

Hard to see the output in kg not come under pressure nationally.

Long term there are significant threats to beef here, in Europe. That must be remembered as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

blue5000 wrote: »
    Might not be all farmers voting there. to see results you have to vote;).

I can see the results but haven't voted,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Lads are digging in deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

The main issue I'd have is when those sucker cows enter the cull market it will keep beef prices low. It might take a lot longer for a decent drop in the kill charts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

kk.man wrote: »
    The main issue I'd have is when those sucker cows enter the cull market it will keep beef prices low. It might take a lot longer for a decent drop in the kill charts.

And what about the dairy cull and Jex screws when they enter the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Passing back tru rathdowney on way home from ploughing and 5 fools sitting around blocking the entrance.such brave guys and trying to be comedians too with a Christmas tree up and all.the silent majority need to break these lads now before they kill of the beef trade and where will they be then

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Passing back tru rathdowney on way home from ploughing and 5 fools sitting around blocking the entrance.such brave guys and trying to be comedians too with a Christmas tree up and all.the silent majority need to break these lads now before they kill of the beef trade and where will they be then

It's for the greater good and you know it. Lads sick to the hole of being rode by factories but maybe you enjoy it.

The factories are reaping their harvest, the govt as well, the industry has been deeply corrupt for decades.

It's for the greater good and you know it. Lads sick to the hole of being rode by factories but maybe you enjoy it.

I don't enjoy it but they ain't going to get back up to 4€ @ kilo anytime soon.these lads hanging on now want to be martyrs for a cause and treated like heroes or so they believe.what went on in Cahir after the vote was a joke.to hell with the half dozen that didn't accept the vote to stand down

I don't enjoy it but they ain't going to get back up to 4€ @ kilo anytime soon.these lads hanging on now want to be martyrs for a cause and treated like heroes or so they believe.what went on in Cahir after the vote was a joke.to hell with the half dozen that didn't accept the vote to stand down

They are right to hold out. These men are the 1916ers of farming.

• Advertisement

What's the point in voting so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Please.
    This has nothing to do with 1916.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

While we glorify the 1916 ers it was a complete disaster. It was the big fellas gurella tactics that brought the english to the table

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Protests should of stood down last Sunday and allow the protesters to save face. Waiting out for a guaranteed price til December whilst a back up of 100,000 cattle to be killed. It’ll never happen. With the weather changing next week lads with 30 month + will be doing well to get them killed

Oh ffs.the 1916 rising was a glorified bloody failure

What's the point in voting so?

It's for the greater good. You don't have to take the price increase when it comes. You're a man of principle, don't take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

K9 wrote: »
    Protests should of stood down last Sunday and allow the protesters to save face. Waiting out for a guaranteed price til December whilst a back up of 100,000 cattle to be killed. It’ll never happen. With the weather changing next week lads with 30 month + will be doing well to get them killed

There is feck all cattle out there. Cattle going up north to be killed for ages. Small independents left open. There is actually not that many cattle out there, look around when you are driving around. There is meadows and hay left out in fields everywhere. Lad near me is an agent for one of the big boys and only has 300 cattle booked in Reddy to go when it's over. There is a shortage coming sooner than people think but as for the price I doubt it. If you didn't get out and help you have no reason to complain no matter how low the price goes, you are obviously happy to loose money.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭farmertipp

What happened? was it only a half dozen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

Oh ffs.the 1916 rising was a glorified bloody failure
    It was a failure. But it woke the dummies that were so down trodden they didn't even realize it. Irish men were only cannon fodder in the empire's wars up to that. I think this protest is after waking up rural Ireland again

1916 succeeded in its objective, to reignite the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Danzy wrote: »
    1916 succeeded in its objective, to reignite the fire.
    That wasn’t the objective. That was an unintended consequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭alps

Thought 1916 was in the Spring time....much easier to hold cattle at that time of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

There is feck all cattle out there. Cattle going up north to be killed for ages. Small independents left open. There is actually not that many cattle out there, look around when you are driving around. There is meadows and hay left out in fields everywhere. Lad near me is an agent for one of the big boys and only has 300 cattle booked in Reddy to go when it's over. There is a shortage coming sooner than people think but as for the price I doubt it. If you didn't get out and help you have no reason to complain no matter how low the price goes, you are obviously happy to loose money.

Did the farmers who sold hay this year get their cost of production and margin along with it. You can be sure they didn’t. They weren’t happy selling but selling it for what they could was a better option than leaving it in the field. Nobody is happy to lose money but if farmers want to sell cattle at a loss it’s not really for me to say they can’t.
    I said a few weeks ago that these protests would help the factories to lower the price of stores and they have. It was well flagged with the high kill during the year that cattle would become scarce at some point. IMO that would of started around now and led to prices increasing. Certainly wouldn’t go as far as saying feck all cattle out there.
    100,000 is a serious backlog now and I hope the factories don’t start acting a maggot by refusing to kill 30+ month beef and overage bulls. At the end of the day they don’t have to buy it and the same with hay for farmers.

Did the farmers who sold hay this year get their cost of production and margin along with it. You can be sure they didn’t. They weren’t happy selling but selling it for what they could was a better option than leaving it in the field. Nobody is happy to lose money but if farmers want to sell cattle at a loss it’s not really for me to say they can’t.
    I said a few weeks ago that these protests would help the factories to lower the price of stores and they have. It was well flagged with the high kill during the year that cattle would become scarce at some point. IMO that would of started around now and led to prices increasing. Certainly wouldn’t go as far as saying feck all cattle out there.
    100,000 is a serious backlog now and I hope the factories don’t start acting a maggot by refusing to kill 30+ month beef and overage bulls. At the end of the day they don’t have to buy it and the same with hay for farmers.

Without the protests cattle would be bear 3 Euro a base, the factories forecast that months ago.

Stores would have been on the floor, they'll still be, but 50% less damage now than the factories intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They’ll hover them all up eventually, if they start been the school yard bully again all they will achieve is lads throwing in the towel and not restocking, won’t be till after Xmas into the spring that they hit a wall with no readily available supply of cattle coming out of the shed bar their own feedlots and the sweetheart deals with large finishers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That's what I would be afraid of too, the last beef price crisis factories had to put serious effort into moving bulls......... they didn't get a lot of thanks for it at the time but they got them out of the system .
    We;ve had a high kill all year and it would be likely that beef supply would've been reducing now and prices rising but Brexit would tear the arse out of that theory.
    looking forward it's hard to see anything but a huge reduction in demand from second week of October on

It's for the greater good. You don't have to take the price increase when it comes. You're a man of principle, don't take it.

There's no greater good in ignoring a democratic vote. There's plenty of ignorance in it though. More than a few bullies who couldn't cope with not getting their way. More than happy to try to intimidate a young woman in a gang with nothing to back it up once they met any resistance. Then tried to impose their will on a smaller group and again folded like a cheap suit once one man challenged them. If not being like them makes me a man of principle by your definition then I'm glad I'm not unprincipled.

wrangler wrote: »
    That's what I would be afraid of too, the last beef price crisis factories had to put serious effort into moving bulls......... they didn't get a lot of thanks for it at the time but they got them out of the system .
    We;ve had a high kill all year and it would be likely that beef supply would've been reducing now and prices rising but Brexit would tear the arse out of that theory.
    looking forward it's hard to see anything but a huge reduction in demand from second week of October on

You forgot to mention the reason for the last beef crisis it was the horsemeat scandal. We also had an artificial surplus as the processors hovered up HE cattle in September and finished them pre and post Christmas leaving farmer with the losses again.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

By the the way. I hope blockaders have spoken to their own solicitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You forgot to mention the reason for the last beef crisis it was the horsemeat scandal. We also had an artificial surplus as the processors hovered up HE cattle in September and finished them pre and post Christmas leaving farmer with the losses again.

That's stupid, even if it was true, farmers would've ''hoovered'' them up if the factories didn't. They wouldn't just disappear if the factories weren't there.
    Too many cattle in the system,
    Another of your conspiracy theories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where's the end game in this, is the plan to make no beef available in supermarkets, it's working. No supply issues in the local butchers who I presume is paying more than the likes of Aldi.

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »

That's stupid, even if it was true, farmers would've ''hoovered'' them up if the factories didn't. They wouldn't just disappear if the factories weren't there.
    Too many cattle in the system,
    Another of your conspiracy theories
    The last beef crisis was of the factories making. I was told in September that there would be no issue with bulls that winter as long as they were under 24 . months. Hey presto processor's get caught with horsemeat in burgers and the lads with bulls paid the price. Yes the Hereford would have been bought by farmers but they would not all have been slaughtered pre/post Christmas.
    Both this crisis and the last one have both been exasperated by processor's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

You think there will be a price increase? Christmas? Next Summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

K.G. wrote: »
    By the the way. I hope blockaders have spoken to their own solicitor
    I was thinking the same myself especially when you see they way Dawn went after an individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

The future/end game is to reduce supply and insist on Wranglers "hard sell". Extensification and
    don't bother having the numbers if the price isn't there for you. There is literally no point in producing stock at a loss.
    Farmers who are happy and willing to produce at a loss (for whatever reason ) need to cop on as they are screwing their neighbors.
    But we all know this.
    The only downside I see to extensification is less money going the way of merchants/contractors / Agri builders etc. But sure what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Outsidehelp

lalababa wrote: »
    The future/end game is to reduce supply and insist on Wranglers "hard sell". Extensification and
    don't bother having the numbers if the price isn't there for you. There is literally no point in producing stock at a loss.
    Farmers who are happy and willing to produce at a loss (for whatever reason ) need to cop on as they are screwing their neighbors.
    But we all know this.
    The only downside I see to extensification is less money going the way of merchants/contractors / Agri builders etc. But sure what can you do.

This is the only way to survive in this game now, but it's soul destroying for the young.
    Farmers need to spend whatever cash they have locally to try to keep our villages alive now. The butcher shop and the small supermarket and garage are the ones that support local clubs and groups, no point in moaning when they're all gone.

More greater good antics at dawn grannagh last night led I'm quite sure by a couple of lunatics that featured on a video posted on this forum yesterday. They wouldn't hold a vote last night. Told men who had been on the gates from the start that they needn't bother coming down because they wouldn't be given a voting slip. Then to cap it all they declared that the vote at abp on Wednesday null and void. Descions are made by the people who turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Where's the end game in this, is the plan to make no beef available in supermarkets, it's working. No supply issues in the local butchers who I presume is paying more than the likes of Aldi.

The end plan all along was and still is an increase in base price for beef to an equitable level with other sectors in the supply chain.

The majority of butchers would be buying off the factories anyway but some would still have their own slaughter facilities where they continued to buy and kill all during this protest.

The butchers killing their own would be the ones worth supporting more than the others as they are directly supporting the finishers rather than beef factory profits. One less step in the supply process means one less drag on price.

There's no greater good in ignoring a democratic vote. There's plenty of ignorance in it though. More than a few bullies who couldn't cope with not getting their way. More than happy to try to intimidate a young woman in a gang with nothing to back it up once they met any resistance. Then tried to impose their will on a smaller group and again folded like a cheap suit once one man challenged them. If not being like them makes me a man of principle by your definition then I'm glad I'm not unprincipled.

So you won’t take the money then. Fair play to you.

So you won’t take the money then. Fair play to you.

What f'n money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Are the factories where the pickets were withdrawn open?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement