Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

g1983d wrote: »
    He was a reckless spoofer ��
    Tbf to Zak he has turned it around and the sign of a good boss is putting the right people in place and motivating everyone, I still cant warm to him

If i were him i'd have taken the FIA job over McLaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Organisers have basically said 'We know there's a typhoon coming, we're keeping an eye on it'
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-closely-monitoring-typhoon-hagibis-ahead-of-japanese-gp.7a33o90GqSFzMkEaYboYbK.html

I wonder if teams will do qualifying pushes towards the end of FP2 just in case there's no window for qualifying ahead of the race. I do believe there is a rule that allows them to use free practice times to form a grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,556 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

flazio wrote: »
    Organisers have basically said 'We know there's a typhoon coming, we're keeping an eye on it'
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-closely-monitoring-typhoon-hagibis-ahead-of-japanese-gp.7a33o90GqSFzMkEaYboYbK.html

I wonder if teams will do qualifying pushes towards the end of FP2 just in case there's no window for qualifying ahead of the race. I do believe there is a rule that allows them to use free practice times to form a grid.

The England v France rugby world cup game has been cancelled. So it's certainly possible. The last time quali was cancelled they did quali on Sunday morning. But I didn't know they could use free practice times.

The England v France rugby world cup game has been cancelled. So it's certainly possible. The last time quali was cancelled they did quali on Sunday morning. But I didn't know they could use free practice times.

Suzuka is further south than the RWC matches so might escape it. Apart from 2004 apparently qualifying also took place on a Sunday in 2010 which I don’t recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Suzuka is further south than the RWC matches so might escape it. Apart from 2004 apparently qualifying also took place on a Sunday in 2010 which I don’t recall.

I think Suzuka is across the bay from where one of the matches is? Yeah Toyota is where the NZ game was

_109178640_typhoon_hagibis_bst_map640-nc.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I think Suzuka is across the bay from where one of the matches is?

NZ vs Italy was to be played in Toyota City which is not far from Suzuka. According to windy.com the Suzuka area is predicted to get heavy rain from the early to hours until late afternoon on Saturday, winds could be pretty strong too. Can't see there being any running at all on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well whatever happens with the Grand Prix this weekend , I hope that concerns about the weather and safety of drivers aren't overruled or refused like 2014 when a typhoon impacted Suzuka. And while changing of TV times might be an inconvenience, safety of the drivers is of the upmost importance to me as a fan of f1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I hope we get a proper test of drivers ability. Some crazy tyre strategies, pit crew in rain gear and flippers, Hamilton’s hair gets all wet and frizzy,
    This is probably the only chance of an entertaining race we have had in awhile, I didn’t even watch the last couple which hasn’t happened in ten or so years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well whatever happens with the Grand Prix this weekend , I hope that concerns about the weather and safety of drivers aren't overruled or refused like 2014 when a typhoon impacted Suzuka. And while changing of TV times might be an inconvenience, safety of the drivers is of the upmost importance to me as a fan of f1.

Not to be cold or anything, but having recovery vehicles on a wet track under double yellows instead of a safety car was the real problem. In another life, Jules spun off and hit the barrier resulting in a race retirement, no harm done. The rain that day took the majority of the blame, but it was ultimately, very preventable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Inviere wrote: »
    Not to be cold or anything, but having recovery vehicles on a wet track under double yellows instead of a safety car was the real problem. In another life, Jules spun off and hit the barrier resulting in a race retirement, no harm done. The rain that day took the majority of the blame, but it was ultimately, very preventable.

And dont forget the the mandatory emergency braking system on the Marussia wasn't installed correctly/at all.

There was a requirement for a system to be installed where if the driver pressed both pedals fully the engine would switch off and the car/onboard computer would stop itself as quickly as possible. When Jules pressed both pedals the brakes were applied but the engine delivered more power to the wheels rather than the fuel being cut off like it should have been.

I think it was twice Jules tried to engage the emergency breaking system that wasn't even there and the FIA deemed it wasn't a factor in the crash. We don't know where the tipping point in any accident is, even if it was just 1km/h slower or he arrived one tenth later the accident could have been different. Probably not but could have been. IMO John Booth should have been charged with some form of negligent manslaughter for failing to ensure his team implemented the mandatory safety features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

BDI wrote: »
    I hope we get a proper test of drivers ability. Some crazy tyre strategies, pit crew in rain gear and flippers, Hamilton’s hair gets all wet and frizzy,
    This is probably the only chance of an entertaining race we have had in awhile, I didn’t even watch the last couple which hasn’t happened in ten or so years.

You have been missing out then as every race since the Summer brake bar Russia has been entertaining to watch. Russia was not the most boring but compared to the races that came before it it was boring.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Whoever came up with such a system should be shot.
    I firstly didnt believe that such a thing could have been designed in but it seems it was meant to be installed.
    Imagine driving your own car and you have some sort of failure that means you are heading for a wall. The last thing you would want to do is mash the accelerator into the floor.

Ms

mickdw wrote: »
    Whoever came up with such a system should be shot.
    I firstly didnt believe that such a thing could have been designed in but it seems it was meant to be installed.
    Imagine driving your own car and you have some sort of failure that means you are heading for a wall. The last thing you would want to do is mash the accelerator into the floor.

Agreed and not only that but I am sure your instincts would also be telling you this is not right and what if it did not work or as you said cased the vehicle you are driving to accelerate faster. Not clever at all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

AMKC wrote: »
    You have been missing out then as every race since the Summer brake bar Russia has been entertaining to watch. Russia was not the most boring but compared to the races that came before it it was boring.

I wouldn't call driving 8 seconds off the pace exciting like in Singapore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Lots of wind and rain means this could well turn out to be the most exciting race of the year if it goes ahead. Belgium 1998 fingers crossed. Crash city!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Been mentioned before but a Belgium 98 style wipe out would likely result in the race getting called off as there aren't any spare cars anymore. Plus, whatever you might think of the reasons it happened, after the 2014 tragedy the organisers will be very reluctant to send drivers out in similar conditions.

The proximate cause was having a several tonne vehicle with its counterweight at head height. The emergency breaking system missing didn't help.

Anyway most likely be a drying track for the race. Topsy qualifying is the main hope for a good race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

In big news Renault have apparently sacked their CEO. He was a big fan of their ongoing F1 programme.

With only the one team and no customers anymore could Ricciardo actually end up at Ferrari after all? I cant see Ricciardo NOT forcing his way onto the grid for 2020 (someone will get payed off/moved).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I've a feeling Renault could pull out at end of 2020 season. They won't want to spend a load of cash on the new cars post 2021.

The McLaren move back to Mercedes is more than meets the eye in my opinion. It points to them knowing Renaults future plans. Mercedes are not supposed to supply 4 teams under the current regulations.

Renault may still develop a car for 2021 in the hope that someone buys the team. Similar to what happened with Honda and Brawn.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    Renault may still develop a car for 2021 in the hope that someone buys the team. Similar to what happened with Honda and Brawn.

With the exception of 2015, thst team has been Renault owned or affiliated since 1995, be interesting to see who would buy it if its for sale and will they continue to get Renault/Mechachrome/Supertec/Playlife/Tag-Heuer or whatever they call those bloody engines.

I've a feeling Renault could pull out at end of 2020 season. They won't want to spend a load of cash on the new cars post 2021.

The McLaren move back to Mercedes is more than meets the eye in my opinion. It points to them knowing Renaults future plans. Mercedes are not supposed to supply 4 teams under the current regulations.

Renault is due money in the future. When they joined there wasn't money at the time so the contract says they start getting legacy money from 2022 (I think). And according to Joe Saward, the current Renault boss is more keen on f1 than the last one who brought them Into the sport.

Ms

Renault is due money in the future. When they joined there wasn't money at the time so the contract says they start getting legacy money from 2022 (I think). And according to Joe Saward, the current Renault boss is more keen on f1 than the last one who brought them Into the sport.

That's good. I hope Renault are in the sport for many years yet as I think it is good for Renault and there sports division for the Clio's and Meganes. It helps them sell them cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Don't see Renault leaving anytime soon, as the 20 million from McLaren Will be missed but their budget is far higher than this.
    It also saves money to produce less parts.
    If there are new teams they will first Knock at Renault s door or Honda for an engine. And 2021 with the new aero rules they will have the chance to get up to the top and this was never easy or cheap.
    In the worst case they sack one of the driver s and get a pay driver in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think there'll be several more fireworks between Vettel and Charles before the year is finished. I'm thinking there'll be a real upset by USA and Mexico. Should be entertaining.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    I think there'll be several more fireworks between Vettel and Charles before the year is finished. I'm thinking there'll be a real upset by USA and Mexico. Should be entertaining.

Vettel is finished at Ferrari at this stage regardless of what happens, he's being upstaged by the new kid on the block who is Ferrari's long term prospect. Charlie is 22, 10 years younger than Vettel at 32, If they remain teammates for 2020 it will be the last season i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Suzuka is getting away fairly lightly. Had some rain overnight and wind is currently just 20-25 knots, a breezy day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's jarring to think Vettel's being written off as "over the hill" (or words to that effect) at 32 - the same age Schumi claimed his 4th title. Really goes to show how much of a young man's world F1 is now.

• Advertisement

It's jarring to think Vettel's being written off as "over the hill" (or words to that effect) at 32 - the same age Schumi claimed his 4th title. Really goes to show how much of a young man's world F1 is now.

Hard to imagine that Vettel was a 4 time WDC at 26. The hybrid turbo era killed his career and reignited Hamilton’s

Ms

Suzuka is getting away fairly lightly. Had some rain overnight and wind is currently just 20-25 knots, a breezy day here.

So the qualifying could have went ahead then?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It's more of a risk for people to travel to the circuit particularly if coming from Tokyo down to Suzuka. At the moment it's Tokyo itself getting hammered as the typhoon moves North East over the northern part of Japan.

It was a good call to put off the day's events. Should be a reasonable day tomorrow but would imagine risk of heavy rain.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Sauber close to confirm giovanazzi for next year. Everyone who thought they would draft Hulk in to give him one more year of not having a podium will be surprised of how loyal Ferrari is to their drivers.

Ms

I have to say one good thing did come from the typhoon over in Japan. F1 got more media coverage this weekend than it has got in a long time even if it was just to say that the qualifying is cancelled and will be on the Sunday instead. I wonder did it make any difference to the Sky F1 channels viewing figures this morning do. I would say most people who have it unless totally hard core will watch it later either by having it recorded or by the showing Sky had at 09:30am this morning.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What does the alleged system do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Shifts brake bias automatically according to BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Interesting , how come the complaint came via Racing point force India ?

The price :eek:

Ms

That's not too bad when you think of it. That magazine is a monthly magazine after all and it seems to have some decent articles this month.It has been around that price for a while anyway. Now if that was the price of Autosport good luck and bye bye.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

That's not too bad when you think of it. That magazine is a monthly magazine after all and it seems to have some decent articles this month.It has been around that price for a while anyway. Now if that was the price of Autosport good luck and bye bye.

When i first started buying it in 1999 it was £3 odd i think. Autosport never really tickled my fancy

Ms

When i first started buying it in 1999 it was £3 odd i think. Autosport never really tickled my fancy

Awe sure back then we were all poorer so it still for the time might have seemed like a lot for a magazine just not as much as now but that's inflation for you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Awe sure back then we were all poorer so it still for the time might have seemed like a lot for a magazine just not as much as now but that's inflation for you.

I agree, i stopped buying it in 2005 when i was hitting the €5/6 mark.

Ms

You should see the price of Autosport now. It is wait for it €16:39 cent :eek: That will be the end of that so. I can think of better ways to spent €16 on one thing. Seriously you want to be stone mad to pay that price for a cheap magazine as it does not feel anything like the price they want now. It even has inside it, coming in next weeks magazine lol. Good luck with that as I for one do not think there will be one out this Friday. I would be surprised if there was even 1 sold at that extortionate price. The F1 magazine as I said above actually looks like good value next to this. I understand it is bad but more than twice its previous price is just ridiculas. It was €5:95 before this.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A new venue for 2021?

Plans to run the Miami Grand Prix around the city's Hard Rock stadium have taken a step close to fruition with the confirmation of an agreement in principle between Formula 1 and the local promoter.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/miami-gp-hard-rock-agreement/4558673/

Looks like the tyre blankets rule won't be in for 2021. Let's see how many more go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,588 ✭✭✭✭vectra

In other words, no one has to balls to put in an official protest! Fair play to Force India for putting in one against Renault.

In other words, no one has to balls to put in an official protest! Fair play to Force India for putting in one against Renault.

I don’t see where balls come into it. They’re asking if they can do it too. Which either means yes they can do it too or they can’t and Ferrari also can’t.

Seems like sensible question.

Ms

I see Toro Rosso are seeking approval to be renamed Alpha Tauri for 2020.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement