Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Spring 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Having looked at the trends of the various models I feel this Easterly 2.0 is locked in now. Should we be surprised this is happening again No. Maybe no storm Emma blizzard this time but plenty of showers off The Irish Sea which can dump lots of snow. We had over 8 hours of snow from Streamers here in Waterford the day before Emma so accumulations can build from an Easterly source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

How about a northerly airflow after the brief easterly? As i said those looking for spring warmth book a flight to somewhere warm, because based on most of the current output there is none to be had anytime soon for Ireland.

That booking could go very badly if you're not careful.

gfs-1-252.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Having looked at the trends of the various models I feel this Easterly 2.0 is locked in now.

Well i would still be a bit cautious given the UKMO model are not really on board at the moment. They just keep the low out to the west of Ireland too close, Hopefully they'll do something favourable with it on the next run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Well i would still be a bit cautious given the UKMO model are not really on board at the moment. They just keep the low out to the west of Ireland too close, Hopefully they'll do something favourable with it on the next run.

Met Eireann are already forecasting snow for Saturday evening/night and Sunday.

sicknotexi wrote: »
    Met Eireann are already forecasting snow for Saturday evening/night and Sunday.

Surprising they committed to it so soon, normally they are more cautious. Also when an employee was interviewed they said it was an uncertain outlook. If their main model(ECM) shows something akin to the last UKMO run(hopefully it won't) that forecast will change.

• Advertisement

UN144-21.GIF?13-05

UKMO is not great,
    the high is too close to Ireland.

GEM gets the cold in earlier

GFS is much better, the high goes far enough north to ensure we get one last dance with winter.

gfsnh-0-144.png

if it then went a bit further to the north west, we would sustain the cold and get a north easterly.

Icon is very snowy:)

Hopefully it's a case of the UKMO doing what the ECM did(dragging its heels) in the last cold spell, before eventually placing the high further north in future runs to ensure a snowy episode. Lets see what the ECM does later.

7.png.c2cffa34eaa5ea1992df224adde9fad3.png

There would be plenty of convective snow/streamers around in the east if these upper temps came off. Hopefully it's right, so we can get one final visit from the beast from the east, instead of the continent getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Arpege isn't messing about... All output is absolutely superb this morning except for the UKMO - it should come on board on the 12z today. This is looking like yet another notable spell of weather. Between this,what's come so far and also early next winter I suspect 2018 will be a major year in weather folklore.

arpegeeur-0-102.png?0

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Yes Blizzard7.
    " May you live in interesting times" comes to mind.
    Just the UKMO not hitting the target just yet. But definitely looking very chilly and snowy for parts of the East,South East and South going by what the others are showing us this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Arpege isn't messing about... All output is absolutely superb this morning except for the UKMO - it should come on board on the 12z today. This is looking like yet another notable spell of weather. Between this,what's come so far and also early next winter I suspect 2018 will be a major year in weather folklore.

arpegeeur-0-102.png?0

Hi Blizzard7, may I ask what you mean by "and also early next winter"?........I thought more than five days was outside the reliable time frame?

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

derekon wrote: »
    Hi Blizzard7, may I ask what you mean by "and also early next winter"?........I thought more than five days was outside the reliable time frame?

D

I think a lot of the ocean and stratospheric currents are all over the place.

Were going to have an epic July and August, can't wait to be surfing in board shorts.......

Surprising they committed to it so soon, normally they are more cautious. Also when an employee was interviewed they said it was an uncertain outlook. If their main model(ECM) shows something akin to the last UKMO run(hopefully it won't) that forecast will change.

The 07.55 forecast on Radio 1 called for snow showers on Saturday & Sunday but becoming cold & dry into the start of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

derekon wrote: »

D

The sun goes through a roughly 11 year cycle of activity, producing what it are called sunspots.
    Lots of sunspots means more solar radiation and higher temps.

We are now in or approaching what is called a solar-minima, meaning there are very few sunspots expected and a colder than usual winter can be hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

gabeeg wrote: »
    The sun goes through a roughly 11 year cycle of activity, producing what it are called sunspots.
    Lots of sunspots means more solar radiation and higher temps.

We are now in or approaching what is called a solar-minima, meaning there are very few sunspots expected and a colder than usual winter can be hoped for.

Indeed and looking forward to the next few winters. What we have got this month is like a trailer for what could come regards cold weather.

Not as much precipitation being indicated on the latest GFS run as compared to the earlier one.

gfs-2-123-3h_mfr1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Looking like a 24 hour window for snow showers at least in a frigid ENE wind if charts dont downgrade. Convective potential not as good as the end of feb but you'd expect at least a few inches off that. Atm looks like a better version of the mid march 2013 cold snap i think-hoping for those who live in E Leinster that the winds stay lighter than that episode though. Cannot believe im going to miss this one :( (if it happens)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

patneve2 wrote: »
    Looking like a 24 hour window for snow showers at least in a frigid ENE wind if charts dont downgrade. Convective potential not as good as the end of feb but you'd expect at least a few inches off that. Atm looks like a better version of the mid march 2013 cold snap i think-hoping for those who live in E Leinster that the winds stay lighter than that episode though. Cannot believe im going to miss this one :( (if it happens)
    Your kinda wrong I'm
    It looks mainly dry and frosty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

GFS definitely has cold pool more south east. With GFS though, as you know, comparing 0z to 6z to 12 z etc is sometimes not the way to go. Yesterday's 6z undoubtedly had it a lot further south east again. still, just shows this is not fully nailed on. Kinda sorry I've been ramping to friends, may have jinxed it!

Yeah GFS 06z has the core of the cold into Northern France, the ICON on the other hand... -12c 850s in Saturday am. A very cold and probably snowy weekend if that's accurate.

icon-1-99.png?13-06

icon-0-105.png?13-06

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

Farmer popping in here,living in NW,are we likely to see a frosty weekend?

Farmer popping in here,living in NW,are we likely to see a frosty weekend?

There's a high chance of that at this stage yes.

12z runs kick off with a very cold and snowy ICON run -

icon-1-93.png?13-12

icon-0-96.png?13-12

Yeah, nothing to see here...

iconeu_uk1-1-120-0.png?13-16

GFS and UKMO very different to the ICON at just day 4 - hmmm

gfs-0-96.png?12

Cold pool goes into France on the UKMO

UW96-21.GIF?13-16

Although the GFS 12z is actually slightly better than its 06z run, high and cold pool a bit further north.

gfs-0-120.png?12

We've had worse charts than this....

gfs-1-132.png?12?12

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Very difficult to give a forecast on the output so far. Marked differences in outcomes by Saturday.

Big ECM this evening. UKMO solid in taking cold air south in to the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

ICON and ECM looking very good for the E Coast. GFS less so even though -10s uppers do make it to Ireland. Pressure however is too high so not as much precipitation as the more favourable models if it verified. ECM 12z will be crucial and hopefully won't tend towards the UKMO and GFS. In any case, out of this world output for this time of the year and honestly it's a bit of waste...would be nice to see these charts at the start of January!

• Advertisement

GEM is good too...

gem-1-108.png

gem-2-108.png

Advertisement