Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PinkScarlett

I reckon Wordsworth, Hopkins, Boland and possibly Dickinson?
    I know thats 2 females though..
    I'm only studying them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

Just noticed poll says "DickEnson." Wonder how many people are going to lose marks if she comes up because they're spelled her name wrong the whole time. :rolleyes: My English teacher does it the whole time!

Hoping for Hopkins, Dickinson, Frost and I don't really care who comes up after that. Boland would be good because I've studied her too but if she comes up everyone is going to write about her. I'd rather stay out of that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

squishness wrote: »
    Just noticed poll says "DickEnson." Wonder how many people are going to lose marks if she comes up because they're spelled her name wrong the whole time. :rolleyes: My English teacher does it the whole time!
    Fixed! :)

How many more threads are we going to see on this topic before the 9th of June ? The only way to be safe is to study 5 poets !
    Indeed ... threads merged.

busyliving wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong but i think a women poet has to come up(eqality and all) so i think youcan get away with just studying women poets...Well when i did my LC I'm it was like that:D
    Absolutely no offence intended, but you're wrong.

Again: the only way you're *guaranteed* to get at least one poet you have studied is to have studied at least five.

Ok, you may choose to concentrate a bit more on a couple of those if you feel they're more likely, but to be sure of seeing a familiar poet, you must cover five at least at a basic level.

There is no rule that says a female poet *has* to come up.

There is no rule that says an Irish poet *has* to come up.

There is no rule that says a poet will come up because they haven't been up in years.

And the SEC are getting fed-up with teachers / students predicting and cutting the course to the barest of bones, and have been deliberately throwing in some unexpected twists over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

I don't understand all this 'is it okay to do one poet?' nonsense. Sure, it's only naturally to favour some poets over others and focus on a couple, but is it really that hard to remember the poems of the poets you are neglecting and to learn a few themes and what not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

if you study 4 of the poets that didnt come up last year you'd be fair unlucky not to get one of them on the exam. Like 3 of the poets who came up last year would have to all come up again. Now I know a poet can come 2 years in a row but I'm sorry; THREE coming up 2 years in a row is a bit too unlikely for me.I'm not gonna get the actual probability of it (i dont plan on doing Q6 and 7 in maths PII) but i think ye'll all agree that tis fairly slim.I don't want to be given out to for encouraging people not to study enough poets, I'm simply stating it wud be more sensible to focus on 3 4 or 5 of the poets that didnt come up last year (i.e. boland frost hopkins worsworth dickinson)
    So now....Hope ive helped and not confused everyone more.

Well, if you study 5, you're mathematically bound to get at least one of them right! :D

And yes ...
    MikeHough wrote: »
    if you study 4 of the poets that didnt come up last year you'd be fair unlucky not to get one of them on the exam.

... I'd have to agree that you would be fairly unlucky not to get at least one out of 4 on the exam, if none of the four had appeared last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukeo17

Anyone have a thought about which poets are due ? ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Only one I liked was Eliot.

FML

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

lukeo17 wrote: »
    Anyone have a thought about which poets are due ? ? ?

Dickinson Frost Boland Wordsworth "apparently"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Wordsworth hasn't come up. Some say this makes it more likely he will come up (this is what I believe) and some say he definitely won't come up.

There's always the chance the paper is leaked and the back-up paper is sent out. The back-up paper could have totally different poets to the first or it could only have one poet changed.

Study 3 in detail and be able to chance your arm on 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Cygni

Wordsworth - never been on.
    Frost - has been long.
    Dickinson - same as Frost.
    Boland - likely.

I'm answering either WW or Frost .. maybe Dickinson. That's all I got prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Frost doesn't come up, I'm in trouble. Well unless there's a major shock and Kavanagh and Yeats come up.

I quite like Dickinson but I really don't know where to start writing an essay about her. I've looked at a few samples and just wished we had done her properly in class. I suppose I'll have to learn Boland to cover myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

Theres no point trying to predict what comes up, new minister for Ecucation reckons he turning the leaving upside down and removing the "prediction factor" which would apply to history and english mainly! i'm sure there will be big surprises come next thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

bradleyboy wrote: »
    Theres no point trying to predict what comes up, new minister for Ecucation reckons he turning the leaving upside down and removing the "prediction factor" which would apply to history and english mainly! i'm sure there will be big surprises come next thursday!

That's probably more relevant for next years leaving certs, since the papers were already compiled by the time there was an election. Freaked to be sitting it next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

Surely they cant make a BIG surprise in the paper, there'd be uproar!
    But still something unexpected will come up, I have a strong feeling...
    All the same I'm focusing on Boland, Frost, Wordsworth...:rolleyes:
    Our teacher didnt do Dickinson...We did Hopkins instead, who I think is waaaaay harder!
    The surprise could be Kavanagh? :confused:
    Any way no point predicitng at this stage, just get down and learn em!
    One other thing, If the likes of Boland, Frost and Dickinson came up, what if the questions are rotten?
    This is what scares me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Alv_M

Eavan Boland! Every honours english teacher in my school reckon she will definatley make an appearence!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I don't see the big fuss over poetry, it's only 12 and a half per cent. Saying that, every per cent is equally important, however, it's ridiculous the way people say your only guaranteed if you do 5 poets. If we put the situation in context, there's over 30000 doing higher english if I'm not wrong, in saying this, I could assume that 90% do not learn 5+ poets, many only learning three. The SEC love statistics & want to keep a fine bell curve year in year out, therefore, it would be logical that they would not omit one of the tipped poets. Not only because there would be uproar, but also because it would drastically alter the bell curve which they aspire to maintain. Many people forget that the part B in paper 1 carries the same marks & very few worry about that. People even forget that the comparative carries 70 marks, much more than prescribed poetry. Maybe one or two of the tipped poets won't come up, but one most certainly will. In conclusion, don't worry if you dont have 5 poets done. It's a huge amount of work for a little reward, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Boland is on the course next year and dickinson isn't so i think dickinson is more likely to be on

According to a very experienced teacher who corrects every year...Boland and Wordsworth are seriously worth learning. They don't want to be controversial, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 summermemories

guys don't be banking on Boland again! I've heard that they want to stop students predicting poets (how silly of them) and so its gonna be total random selection. However saying that, Boland is up again next year, but the next time Dickinson is up is 2014...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

GV_NRG wrote: »
    almost always a woman

Oh the certainty.

Come on Kavanagh!!

How long do people would think it would take to familiarise myself with Boland? I did her last year but I really haven't looked at her since, and I really disliked her poetry. But people say she is easy to learn?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Come on Kavanagh!!

How long do people would think it would take to familiarise myself with Boland? I did her last year but I really haven't looked at her since, and I really disliked her poetry. But people say she is easy to learn?

Kavangh...yuck:pac::P

Boland is easy enough to learn because her themes are straight forward enough. Although, you probably need notes of some description if you did the poems "Love" and "outside History". They have that whole mythical allusion thing going on, but besides that, she's grand to learn and write about.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Kavangh...yuck:pac::P

Boland is easy enough to learn because her themes are straight forward enough. Although, you probably need notes of some description if you did the poems "Love" and "outside History". They have that whole mythical allusion thing going on, but besides that, she's grand to learn and write about.

Hmm.....I'll probably take a look next week then. I did Love, not the other one but that was one I only barely mentioned when I actually did an essay.

Kavanagh is very easy- simple themes, memorable quotes, very easy to group the poems together too.

Kavanagh is very easy- simple themes, memorable quotes, very easy to group the poems together too.

I have an essay on him that I might learn, but I still find him unbearable. I'd a different teacher to the usual one for him, and it was a disaster.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukeo17

Anyone heard anythin about hopkins? he hasnt been up since 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Bet your house on Boland. Look no further.
    A) she is a woman
    B) She is Irish
    C) she has never been on despite her being viewed as one of our best.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Bet your house on Boland. Look no further.
    A) she is a woman
    B) She is Irish
    C) she has never been on despite her being viewed as one of our best.

Tell that to someone who only covered her last year and is now repeating because of it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

If Frost doesn't come up, I'm in trouble. Well unless there's a major shock and Kavanagh and Yeats come up.

I quite like Dickinson but I really don't know where to start writing an essay about her. I've looked at a few samples and just wished we had done her properly in class. I suppose I'll have to learn Boland to cover myself...

Not impossible to do yourself.Pick 4/5 poems. Get a book of notes. Get a sample essay. PM me if you need a little guidance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement