Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

The other two poets I've done are Yeats & Kavanagh. I know Yeats like the back of my hand, but, I won't be revising him due to the fact I highly doubt he'll be up this year after last year's appearance. I adore last year's question for him... Ah well :rolleyes:

:)

And the question on Kavanagh was GLORIOUS last year, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

. I know Yeats like the back of my hand, but, I won't be revising him due to the fact I highly doubt he'll be up this year after last year's appearance.

:Dahh, ChristinaIndigo. . .please tell me you don't do honours maths. . .

Each poet has a 1 in 2 chance of coming up. . .

. . .If there are 8 poets, and 4 will come up, that means 70 possible combinations. . .

Only 5 of these combinations do not contain a poet who didn't come up last year. . .

. . .The only real shock this year will be if one of last years poets doesn't come up. . .

And get this. . .since the new English course started in 2001, Yeats, the National Poet, has been up only twice. . .

If you really know Yeats, I wouldn't leave him out. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

:Dahh, ChristinaIndigo. . .please tell me you don't do honours maths. . .

Each poet has a 1 in 2 chance of coming up. . .

. . .If there are 8 poets, and 4 will come up, that means 70 possible combinations. . .

Only 5 of these combinations do not contain a poet who didn't come up last year. . .

. . .The only real shock this year will be if one of last years poets doesn't come up. . .

And get this. . .since the new English course started in 2001, Yeats, the National Poet, has been up only twice. . .

If you really know Yeats, I wouldn't leave him out. . .

I do actually :P haha!

I'm literally only going with the decision though because there is so little time left.... And, it has been said at every single LC cert open grind, lecture & even by teachers - that they wouldn't expect him. I'd put my money on the others first, and then take into account what you've said.
    His question last year was so nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

My teacher said Kavanagh can come up again coz he was badly answered last yr.
    She also thinks that Hopkins will come up,but i f***** hate him :<

I'm doing Boland,Dickinson,Rich,Frost and if i have time i'll look at Kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

If Boland or Frost dont come up im actually going to cry in my exam chair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

Iceboy wrote: »
    If Boland or Frost dont come up im actually going to cry in my exam chair

:D

I'm hoping for Boland, Yeats, Dickinson and Frost because I hate Hopkins and can't remember Kavanagh. Never did Wordsworth or Rich.

Also, is it wise to learn my essays off at this point, due to the risk of not being adaptable, or should I just go over the notes A LOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    :D

I'm hoping for Boland, Yeats, Dickinson and Frost because I hate Hopkins and can't remember Kavanagh. Never did Wordsworth or Rich.

Also, is it wise to learn my essays off at this point, due to the risk of not being adaptable, or should I just go over the notes A LOT.

Exactly the four I'm doing.
    Ny reasoning is
    Boland- so tipped to come up last year but her granddaughther was sitting the exam so she didn't come up
    Dickinson- last for on the course for ages
    Frost- Can't remember my reasoning
    Yeats- A poet repeats every few years and an Irish poet nearly always comes up. So Yeats and Boland for me ( leaving me a 2 in 3 chance if that's the case)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nicenri

Hey,

All I've done is Kavanagh, Hopkins and my beloved Wordsworth and I plan to cram a little Yeats.

Can anyone reassure me that I have a good chance of getting a paper with at least one of those poets on it.....

I would prefer Wordsworth or Hopkins.

fml, poetry and comparative are all I've done so far :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Is it worth studying Dickinson new before the exam?

Or should I just study Boland, Frost and Yeats?

Pleeeeeeeeeease help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

She's a bit heavy to be able to have a good knowledge on and be able to answer a full question on in 3 days. If you're really willing to do it, go for it, but it's not going to be easy without a teacher and you're better off refining what you know now.

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    She's a bit heavy to be able to have a good knowledge on and be able to answer a full question on in 3 days. If you're really willing to do it, go for it, but it's not going to be easy without a teacher and you're better off refining what you know now.

Our teacher didnt cover her.
    I feel I have to all of a sudden because shes a dead cert?!?

Plus, it doesnt help I cant find much on google about her. Ive wasted the day doing cultural context new already. Doing stuff new for me takes a full day :o

So, Boland, Frost

Only have Personal Responses for Yeats, Kavanagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Never trust on poets being a 'dead cert' after what happened with Boland. As long as you have 4 good poets you should be safe. Just know your 4 well.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Never trust on poets being a 'dead cert' after what happened with Boland. As long as you have 4 good poets you should be safe. Just know your 4 well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PinkScarlett

nicenri wrote: »
    Hey,

All I've done is Kavanagh, Hopkins and my beloved Wordsworth and I plan to cram a little Yeats.

Can anyone reassure me that I have a good chance of getting a paper with at least one of those poets on it.....

I would prefer Wordsworth or Hopkins.

fml, poetry and comparative are all I've done so far :/

I've only done poetry so far! just started doing comparitive an hour ago... ughh

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Does anyone else think that although it's very likely that Boland will be up, her question will be EXTREMELY tricky, just because she's so expected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PinkScarlett

Does anyone else think that although it's very likely that Boland will be up, her question will be EXTREMELY tricky, just because she's so expected?

Yeah, i reckon it'll be a really difficult question.. and will probably be marked difficult cause everyone's expecting her to be up.. I haven't really focused on her that much..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Yeah, i reckon it'll be a really difficult question.. and will probably be marked difficult cause everyone's expecting her to be up.. I haven't really focused on her that much..

I reckon it would be something to do with mythical allusion, which tbh isn't really that hard. The question in my pre was based on mythical allusion, and if I hadn't run out of time, I reckon it would have been lovely.

I reckon she could be answered fairly badly if she does come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KarinaKarona10

Praying for Dickinson!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

I hope that Dickinson comes up! But,lots of people are hoping for her and if she comes up,most will answer on Dickinson and the q will be marked harder :/
    I decided to study her,Boland and Hopkins really well,and I know Rich quite well so I hope its enough :D
    I wanted to do Frost coz he is way easier than Hopkins,for me,but he is on the course next yr,the same as Boland and Kavanagh,and Hopkins didn't come up since 2004,Frost in 2007,so I think Hopkins is more likely to come up than Frost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

I've a question regarding the way to go about studying poetry.. :)

I know the quotes for the poets, and just the general themes. My writing in general though is around a B3 standard.. at least that's what I'm pushing for, so nothing special :P

Do you think i'd be better off actually learning off essays for poets instead, of an A1 standard to help bring my grade up? I have the capability within me to adjust to the question at hand anyway.. (I hope :P )

Either that or i could just know the theme/quotes really well and sorta think of it off the top of my head? Only planning on learning 3 women poets, boland and dickinson especially.. :)

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Dickinson Boland and Wordsworth are my 3 def's. Then, its between Frost and Hopkins. I've heard Hopkins is more likely to come up although I would prefer Frost...

But yeah, my Four are Dickinson Boland Wordsworth and Hopkins!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I've only done poetry so far! just started doing comparitive an hour ago... ughh

I really don't get people doing this. The comparative is worth more marks than the prescribed poetry! I've focused more on the comparative and Hamlet than poetry. With regards to poetry I'm studying Hopkins, Wordsworth and Boland in detail with Yeats as a back up. Hoping for a general enough question on Hopkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    I really don't get people doing this. The comparative is worth more marks than the prescribed poetry! I've focused more on the comparative and Hamlet than poetry. With regards to poetry I'm studying Hopkins, Wordsworth and Boland in detail with Yeats as a back up. Hoping for a general enough question on Hopkins.

I havn't done any comparative study yet also, probably because its the one i have felt most comfortable about, I do have lots of notes on the cultural context so gonna look over them a bit tommorow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GracieK17

Could someone give me a list of comparison phrases? i can't find any anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Similarly
    In Comparison
    In the same way
    ____ mirrors this text
    Likewise
    However,
    Dissimilar
    Unlike
    In contrast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Boland and Dickinson both highly tipped to come up. They BOTH came up in 2005 but generally it's one woman.

Wordsworth has never been examined in the last ten years. Hopkins only has been once. Neither of them are going to be on the course next year. Dickinson won't be on the course next year either.

I'd love a Wordsworth / Dickinson question and by all accounts i think they are going to come up. I'm still going to have Boland as a backup and will look over Hopkins and Yeats.

Boland is still on the course for next year, i think she might not show again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

I'm hoping Frost comes up i love his poetry.
    then i'm also studying Boland, Hopkins, Kav and either wordsworth or dickinson haven't decided yet. may dedicate the whole day to cramming english :/

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

anyone with eircom broadband should have a look at the english poetry on eircom study hub . really useful stuff on there

Comparitive takes sooooooooooo friggin long! I just spent till now doing cultural context!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

I do actually :P haha!

I'm literally only going with the decision though because there is so little time left.... And, it has been said at every single LC cert open grind, lecture & even by teachers - that they wouldn't expect him. I'd put my money on the others first, and then take into account what you've said.
    His question last year was so nice...

Em. . .sorry bout the Maths thing. . .

However, as an open bet, I predict a poet from last year on the paper. . . remember where ye heard it first. . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement