Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I did 3 frost poems in my mocks and got 61/70 (which is good for me)
    How did you manage 61/70 when the question is only marked out of 50? Or are you also taking in to account the unseen poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

How did you manage 61/70 when the question is only marked out of 50? Or are you also taking in to account the unseen poetry?

Just looked at my mock and I got 41/50 apologies. It was 61 out of whatever with the unseen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Thank god I've prepared Boland, Dickinson and Frost.
    I'd prefer Dickinson though, so much to write about her.
    In the mocks Frost came up, and I just waffled, and most of my quotes were a little off.
    The corrector clearly didn't do his/her homework though and gave me 48/50! Losing 2 marks from mechanics for forgetting to put quotation marks around on title ._.

So if Frost/Sadness comes up, I am set!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The standard of correction in Mocks is *generally* not of the same standard as that required for LC though.

The standard of correction in Mocks is *generally* not of the same standard as that required for LC though.
    We've heard that the LC correctors are nicer. Our mock corrector was in general, AWFUL. No sense of humor, and whenever I tried to use wit he/she crossed it out and wrote (NO, SILLY, NOT HUMOROUS)
    I think that's what led me to getting a D2 in paper one, and an A1 in paper two, the paper where I really don't share my personal opinion on anything :D

• Advertisement

PJelly wrote: »
    We've heard that the LC correctors are nicer.
    I wouldn't say they're nicer or nastier tbh.

They operate to a much clearer and better thought-out set of guidelines, and there is a supervision system in place to monitor their adherence to them, and to provide feedback.

The system isn't perfect, but it's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

No sense of humor, and whenever I tried to use wit he/she crossed it out and wrote (NO, SILLY, NOT HUMOROUS)

Ouch. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ADayLikeThis

We studied Boland, Rich, Frost, Kavanagh, Yeats and Hopkins.

Do you think it would be too risky just to learn the first four? Anybody have any hints? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

It's always risky studying four. You need five to be sure. That's a mathematical certainty, no matter how many hints or predictions people give.

Obviously you'll have poets you know better than others. But if you spent a couple of weeks on each poet, surely you'll be able to recall something about them?

If you were going to leave out anybody, I'd leave out Kavanagh or Yeats as they were on the paper last year. Hopkins is definitely a possibility for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Don't they usually repeat a poet every year?

They operate to a much clearer and better thought-out set of guidelines, and there is a supervision system in place to monitor their adherence to them, and to provide feedback.

They don't stick to the marking scheme as rigidly. Our mock corrector would only accept the answers in the scheme for questions such as "What impression do you get of the girl"
    Which led to lots of us having "NO, SHE IS YOUNG, NAIVE, AND INNOCENT" written beside our question 1's. Which kind of defeats the purpose of "What impression do you get"

nommm wrote: »
    [/B]
    Ouch. :pac:
    Yeah :(
    Anyone who uses "NOT HUMOROUS" clearly doesn't have a sense of humor.

crayon1 wrote: »
    Don't they usually repeat a poet every year?
    If it works that way, could you technically ONLY study the four that came up the year before, so you're guaranteed a question and end up studying one less poet?

But I suppose you would be restricted by the fact that only one of your poets is going to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cara_

_meehan_ wrote: »
    There isn't a whole pile that can be asked about him tbh. Just know his themes, and be able to give examples of sounds in his poetry, like alliteration, assonance etc which add to the beauty of his verse.

Know his relationship with nature, the importance of memory, nature as a moral guide, contemplation, benevolent, higher power in nature (God, pantheism) and the characteristics of Romanaticism.
    polka dot wrote: »
    Wordsworth as a Romantic poet, the Pantheist things in his poetry, his theme of nature, relevance to a modern audience (yay eco-warriors!)

Thanks guys, I'm covered for almost everything there! Though we haven't looked at him as a romantic poet, better go google the characteristics. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

My best subject is English, and the corrector for the pres absolutely hated everything about my expression and my use of language etc, which I usually get full marks in. I've gone through 5/6 teachers from 1st to 6th year, all of whom thought my expression was excellent. The pre really knocked my confidence. I'm bricking it for tomorrow.:(

They don't stick to the marking scheme as rigidly.
    The marking scheme wouldn't be as rigid to start with, certainly not in English.

Obviously it will be a lot tighter in more technical subjects.
    _meehan_ wrote: »
    My best subject is English, and the corrector for the pres absolutely hated everything about my expression and my use of language etc, which I usually get full marks in. I've gone through 5/6 teachers from 1st to 6th year, all of whom thought my expression was excellent. The pre really knocked my confidence. I'm bricking it for tomorrow.:(
    The pre is gone and done, and matters as much to the real thing as what colour shoes you were wearing the first day you went to primary school. ;)

Remember that many of the regular examiners don't even mark mocks / pres as they are usually up to their eyes with their own teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Dickinson better not do a Boland...
    Otherwise i'm screwed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭canister94

will she come up or not.and if she does will it be a very hard question.
    what is best to do for the next day in preparation for paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Personally i don't think she will...... still doing her though.
    If she does come up it will more than likely be a difficult question.

That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Nope.

Dickinson, Wordsworth, Frost and Kavanagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No one knows for definite. I'm personally of the opinion that she'll come up but with an extremely difficult or specific question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Don't count on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Anything is possible, but probably some ****ty ass question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

Dickinson,Hopkins,Kavanagh,Wordsworth-that's what i think will come up,if the firts two won't show up i'm screwed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭canister94

very true i think i should just get of and give it a thorough going over i have frost and yeats and kavanagh done aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I would really hope Dickinson, Frost, or Wordsworth comes up if Boland doesn't...or there is going to be major panic tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Fingers crossed for Frost!!

I think she will. I hope Frost comes up though. Hope the questions aren't horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rockycoolness22

praying for boland, dickinson or kavanagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

if she comes up there will either be something to do with history...which id love
    or she could come up with mythology...then im ****ed
    or maybe even her appeal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement