Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Has anyone seen the facebook profiles for the poets? Well worth a quick scroll :p, and loads of the Hamlet characters are there now too... Emily Dickinson's one is probably the best: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001965463848

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yeah, they're absolutely hilarious. Actually gotten me thinking more about Paper 2 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kilbride206

A woman is guaranteed to be up so I did Boland, Dickinson and Rich. Rich was up twice in the last ten years so I don't think she will come up again. Same with Frosty and Wordsworth. Boland was up once only so I think she could come up and It's Emily's last year for a while so I'm learning her off most. Went through the papers last night and that's what i came up with anyway. I hate rich so I'll probably leave her out and do Yeats. The seem fond of Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A woman is guaranteed to be up
    *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 24 goosey93

If you learn 3 of the poets that didn't come up last year you should be grand. As this will leave 5 poets, 3 of which were up in 2010 and 2 which were not. Its is extremely unlikely that more than 1 poet from last year will come up. It seems like a risk a i'm willing to take :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

A woman is guaranteed to be up.
    Wrong. It's not guaranteed. A woman has come up every year but they don't have to put one on. While a woman will more than likely come up this year, with the SEC trying to make it more unpredictable plus the possibility that woman wrote the paper this year for the first time in a while (so i heard) a woman mightn't come up at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 moviequoter

I reckon that Emily Dickinson might come up. She hasn't come up since 2005. As well as that, this year is her 125th death anniversary. It would do good to study her, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

A woman is guaranteed to be up so I did Boland, Dickinson and Rich. Rich was up twice in the last ten years so I don't think she will come up again. Same with Frosty and Wordsworth. Boland was up once only so I think she could come up and It's Emily's last year for a while so I'm learning her off most. Went through the papers last night and that's what i came up with anyway. I hate rich so I'll probably leave her out and do Yeats. The seem fond of Yeats.

A woman isn't guaranteed. My teacher's been telling us all year that they've got a new Chief Examiner (or whatever the top position is) for English, and she seems to be a bit different. She could go a bit wild and not put a female poet on the paper
    Boland was asked twice (in 2002 and 2005).
    Wordsworth has never been asked.
    Sorry for being nitpicky :(

EDIT: Sorry, I was also meant to ask, what Boland poems feature mythology? I've heard a couple of people saying the question is very likely to be on her use of mythology in her poetry, but I only see it in 'The Pomegranate' and 'Love'. Then again, I haven't really looked for it very hard in her other poems... Laziness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 davidj374

Wordsworth has never been up before since the course was changed in 2001. My teacher said its 240 years this year since his sister Dorothy was born, so there could be a question about her.
    Fingers crossed :)

Dickinson coming up because of her 125th year death anniversary is a far more likely prediction than Wordsworth coming up because of his sister's 240th birthday anniversary...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

Dickinson coming up because of her 125th year death anniversary is a far more likely prediction than Wordsworth coming up because of his sister's 240th birthday anniversary...

What are the chances that Boland AND Dickinson will appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

biggaman wrote: »
    I've a question regarding the way to go about studying poetry.. :)

I know the quotes for the poets, and just the general themes. My writing in general though is around a B3 standard.. at least that's what I'm pushing for, so nothing special :P

Do you think i'd be better off actually learning off essays for poets instead, of an A1 standard to help bring my grade up? I have the capability within me to adjust to the question at hand anyway.. (I hope :P )

Either that or i could just know the theme/quotes really well and sorta think of it off the top of my head? Only planning on learning 3 women poets, boland and dickinson especially.. :)

Thanks!
    reposting :P hope i'm not breaking any boards rules! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

What are the chances that Boland AND Dickinson will appear?

That happened in 2005 and the debs mock!

Likely....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Hannahx

Cultural contex or theme and issue? What do ye think?

Hannahx wrote: »
    Cultural contex or theme and issue? What do ye think?
    I'd say both will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Dickinson hasn't been up in 6 years, and she's not on the course again until 2014. Take that for what it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Saphira Bunansa

My teacher says she just has a haunch it's Dickinson.. That and she won't be up for a few years!

I hope to God Dickinson comes up! I LOVE her poetry and I find it easy to talk about her!

I've covered Boland, Dickinson and Frost? Am I ok? I don't particularly like Kavanagh and Yeats we only kinda skimmed in class so I don't feel too good about him!

Apparently if Boland DOES show though, it'll be a horrible question..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

It looks quite possible that either Wordsworth or Hopkins will be on, will it be one or the other or could both appear?
    Hopkins hasn't been on since 2004 and Wordsworth has never been on.
    I hope Hopkins and Frost come up. Have Yeats, Kavanagh and Boland to fall back on but don't know them that well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WoodyNightshade

If all poets have an equal chance of coming up, there is a 92.86% that at least one of any three will be on the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WoodyNightshade

Samesies. Come on Dickinson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Without starting another thread, does anyone know any books that have a good dickinson essay? Having trouble finding one! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

If all poets have an equal chance of coming up, there is a 92.86% that at least one of any three will be on the paper.

Youre some mad man for the auld probability

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

But they don't really have an equal chance. There is an element of "bias" (if that's what you call it). But I think that weighs even more in favour of at least one woman coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

Would it be safe to cover Dickinson and Hopkins? I kinda know Boland but don't like her. I could ace the first two though

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

And if you do 4 poets, there's a 1 in 70 chance that none of them will come up. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

With a new chief examiner, what is it not to say something like this will come up.

Compare the Aspects of marriage and relationships in Boland and Rich's poetry

With a new chief examiner, what is it not to say something like this will come up.

Compare the Aspects of marriage and relationships in Boland and Rich's poetry
    The chief examiner has changed, not the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

The chief examiner has changed, not the syllabus.

The syllabus doesn't say they cannot ask such a question.

My english teacher told us this and she corrects english leaving cert papers every year, in fact last year in their comment notes, they suggested a question like this!

From the syllabus
    SECTION C: Poetry
    At Higher Level: (i) An unseen poem 20
    (ii) A general question on one of the
    prescribed poets:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Well. . .the 60th Anniversary of Adrienne Rich's graduation from Radcliffe College, Cambridge, Massachusetts is also this year. . .its also 130 years since Hopkins wrote "Inversnaid". . .looks like we've got the 4 poets sussed. . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement