Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Alv_M wrote: »
    Eavan Boland! Every honours english teacher in my school reckon she will definatley make an appearence!
    They thought that last year too! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

NotExactly wrote: »
    Tell that to someone who only covered her last year and is now repeating because of it. :rolleyes:

I would not have advised you that last year given some of the poets were different . Cant recall them but while she was a possibility last year -this year she will be on but I have no insider knowledge, just a hunch and my hunches are usually right. Not the exact same poets on year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

They thought that last year too! :rolleyes:

Ah yeah, but she is *likely* this year, but don't bank all your money on her. At least learn the other 2 females and that way you'll most likely to be able to answer a question..

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but she is *likely* this year ...
    Oh, I wouldn't totally disagree, but then the examiners will have been thinking: "Hmmm, everyone predicted Boland last year, and she wasn't up ... so they will all be *sure* she's a dead cert. for this year ... sooooooo ..."

Do you really want to play poker with them? :D

As you say yourself quite rightly, hedge your bets!!

Also ... just because a poet comes up doesn't mean the question will suit you! Lots of people lose significant marks every year by trying to shoehorn the answer they are *expecting* to give into an unrelated question (which is one of the main problems with "learning off" essays). Don't tie yourself down too much, and be prepared to actually *think* and make the best use of what you know when you go into the exam hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Oh, I wouldn't totally disagree, but then the examiners will have been thinking: "Hmmm, everyone predicted Boland last year, and she wasn't up ... so they will all be *sure* she's a dead cert. for this year ... sooooooo ..."

Do you really want to play poker with them? :D

As you say yourself quite rightly, hedge your bets!!

Also ... just because a poet comes up doesn't mean the question will suit you! Lots of people lose significant marks every year by trying to shoehorn the answer they are *expecting* to give into an unrelated question (which is one of the main problems with "learning off" essays). Don't tie yourself down too much, and be prepared to actually *think* and make the best use of what you know when you go into the exam hall.

I'm only learning quotes from the 3 females, I don't know how people can learn essays off.. It makes it so unoriginal :P I plan on writing an essay from spontaneousness..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

ya might as well learn your 5 poets just to be safe. most of the time you only need to write about 2/3 poems really well provided they're relevant to the q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I only know Boland. Should I be worried? Should I crawl under my duvet and not reemerge until Armageddon has passed? Or is she, as everyone is saying, a dead cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Lads, really stuck here since teacher didnt do Dickinson and I only found out this week Dickinson is likely.

So, anyone have a Dickinson personal response essay to post up here? Really stuck! Love poetry and Id love to do it myself but literally, no time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Fbjm wrote: »
    I only know Boland. Should I be worried? Should I crawl under my duvet and not reemerge until Armageddon has passed? Or is she, as everyone is saying, a dead cert?

Who else did you cover? At this stage, if you have any other "tipped" poets done in class, it would be worth learning quotes and themes for them. Give yourself the best chance!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Lads, really stuck here since teacher didnt do Dickinson and I only found out this week Dickinson is likely.

So, anyone have a Dickinson personal response essay to post up here? Really stuck! Love poetry and Id love to do it myself but literally, no time :(

How would anyone on boards possibly know how you responded to Emily Dickinson's poetry? :D

• Advertisement

xclw wrote: »
    ya might as well learn your 5 poets just to be safe. most of the time you only need to write about 2/3 poems really well provided they're relevant to the q

Can you write about just 3 poems and still get an A?:eek: My teacher was always pushing for writing well about 4 poems. I've really serious timing issues, so this would be great, provided you can still get high marks!!

Last year demonstrated its completely unpredictable and theyre taking a different approach.

Why not cover some poets briefly? Just in case?
    If not, do Boland inside out, until your singing her quotes in your sleep. Having said that, the time under the duvet could be put towards another poet.

Be prepared for the fall out if she doesnt pop up though.
    As they say, "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

Doing Boland only is extremely unwise though.....I do admire the guts though;) Seriously though, try and cover at least Frost/Dickinson

aranciata wrote: »
    How would anyone on boards possibly know how you responded to Emily Dickinson's poetry? :D

Haw haw.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Can you write about just 3 poems and still get an A?:eek:!

Yes it would have to be quality writing though. I'd recomend writing about 3 in detail then briefly writing about another 2, that's IMO though.

Who else did you cover? At this stage, if you have any other "tipped" poets done in class, it would be worth learning quotes and themes for them. Give yourself the best chance!:)

I can't even remember, I think I have some Dickinson/Yeats notes lying around somewhere; guess I'll have to root them out! They're meant to be tipped too

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Last year demonstrated its completely unpredictable and theyre taking a different approach.

Why not cover some poets briefly? Just in case?
    If not, do Boland inside out, until your singing her quotes in your sleep. Having said that, the time under the duvet could be put towards another poet.

Be prepared for the fall out if she doesnt pop up though.
    As they say, "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

Doing Boland only is extremely unwise though.....I do admire the guts though;) Seriously though, try and cover at least Frost/Dickinson

Dickenson and yeats it is :)

Dickenson and yeats it is :)

Yeats is sexy ;)

I only know Boland. Should I be worried?
    YES!!!
    Should I crawl under my duvet and not reemerge until Armageddon has passed?
    No.
    Or is she, as everyone is saying, a dead cert?
    NO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

If Boland does come up, be prepared for a stinker of a question...

If Boland does come up, be prepared for a stinker of a question...
    That wouldn't surprise me, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

How many people are actually learning/have learnt 5 poets?
    This won't apply to the Boland gamblers of course. :rolleyes: I know Dickinson, Hopkins, Boland and Frost - we did Wordsworth in school too, but I can't stand him (ANYTHING but Tintern Abbey :p).
    I'm trying to decide whether it'd be worth using 2 or 3 hours valuable study time to learn some Wordsworth quotes and go over him quickly just to be absolutely guaranteed.
    I had a panicky moment earlier when I realised that two of the poets on the 2002 paper had also been on the 2001 one. :eek: I really hope that doesn't happen to us.
    So. Should I learn Wordsworth as emergency back-up for my own piece of mind, or concentrate completely on the other 4?

English is *by far* the most stressful exam. :(

NotExactly wrote: »
    Yes it would have to be quality writing though. I'd recomend writing about 3 in detail then briefly writing about another 2, that's IMO though.

Well English is my best subject...I'll stick to writing about 4 for the moment, and if I'm stuck for time on the day...3 and a fourth in less detail. Hopefully it won't come to that though!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I'm only learning quotes from the 3 females, I don't know how people can learn essays off.. It makes it so unoriginal :P I plan on writing an essay from spontaneousness..

I plan on doing that too :p

Ill prob study a 5th one this weekend just very briefly to be safe,.crazy how this question is only worth 50 for all you've to do, anyway good luck everyone, hope yer poets come up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Can you write about just 3 poems and still get an A?:eek: My teacher was always pushing for writing well about 4 poems. I've really serious timing issues, so this would be great, provided you can still get high marks!!

yeah we had a chief examiner for english in one day to give us a talk and he said its better to write about 2/3 poems that are relevant to the question and its a better quality answer provided they're done well. you could mention one or two others but ya don't have to do paragraphs on them.
    put more detail and effort into hamlet thats the only thing you really have to know loads of detail on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Happy.k

hey everyone, would anyone have a wordsworth or dickinson essey they could send me, my teacher didnt do them! PLEASE and THANKYOU!! ^^ :D - i have some history & art history essays if anyone wants them too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukeo17

So wat does everyone think about hopkins? i like writing about him and know his stuff but havent a clue about anyone else? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

With so little time, I'm making the decision to study Frost (in the hope of answering on him), Boland and Wordsworth (who I really hope I don't end up having to answer one...).

The other two poets I've done are Yeats & Kavanagh. I know Yeats like the back of my hand, but, I won't be revising him due to the fact I highly doubt he'll be up this year after last year's appearance. I adore last year's question for him... Ah well :rolleyes:

Need to really be selective about what I'm studying in detail, considering there's the comparative & Hamlet question too. I don't think I've done anything bad enough in my 18 years to warrant none of the three I've chosen coming up. All three are due an appearance, so, we'll see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

bradleyboy wrote: »
    Theres no point trying to predict what comes up, new minister for Ecucation reckons he turning the leaving upside down and removing the "prediction factor" which would apply to history and english mainly! i'm sure there will be big surprises come next thursday!

:eek:

Not history. Oh god.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

With so little time, I'm making the decision to study Frost (in the hope of answering on him), Boland and Wordsworth (who I really hope I don't end up having to answer one...).

The other two poets I've done are Yeats & Kavanagh. I know Yeats like the back of my hand, but, I won't be revising him due to the fact I highly doubt he'll be up this year after last year's appearance. I adore last year's question for him... Ah well :rolleyes:

Need to really be selective about what I'm studying in detail, considering there's the comparative & Hamlet question too. I don't think I've done anything bad enough in my 18 years to warrant none of the three I've chosen coming up. All three are due an appearance, so, we'll see :)

It could happen next year but the exams were set long before the new government were formed.

• Advertisement

squishness wrote: »
    :eek:

Not history. Oh god.

Don't worry, it's next years crowd that are fooked in that respect!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement