Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I think im going to cry over poetry....
    Only Boland notes done and starting Frost...

:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

With a new chief examiner, what is it not to say something like this will come up.

Compare the Aspects of marriage and relationships in Boland and Rich's poetry
    That would be just cruel if they were to mix two poets together. Have they ever done that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Violafy wrote: »
    And if you do 4 poets, there's a 1 in 70 chance that none of them will come up. :eek:

While we're on the subject of probability, theres approximately a 3 in 4 chance that Thursday's paper will contain all of the following;

1. An Irish Poet
    2. An American Poet
    3. A Woman
    4. A Poet who came up last year

. . .I'll be offering that bet outside the exam hall Thursday morning, in case anyone's interested. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Well. . .the 60th Anniversary of Adrienne Rich's graduation from Radcliffe College, Cambridge, Massachusetts its also 130 years since Hopkins wrote "Inversnaid". . .looks like we've got the 4 poets sussed. . .
    Neither of those two events are in anyway significant compared to a 125th death anniversary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RedBlueRedBlue

please WW come up i have no time to do anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

EAVAN BOLAND:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

So if Wordsworth does come up, what sort of questions are we expecting? They can hardly ask images ... there aren't many. Techniques are very limited.
    Relevance to a modern audience?

Or could they ask to write about him as a Romantic poet?

Neither of those two events are in anyway significant compared to a 125th death anniversary.

. . .:D. . .c'mon. . .as if Wordsworth's sister's 240th anniversary means he'll be on the paper. . .:D . . .you obviously missed the sarcasm. . .

If our good friend William appears, the reason is more likely to have something to do with the fact that he hasn't appeared on the Leaving since the 20th Century. . .and Dickenson's imminent appearance will be linked also to the fact that she is due up, not because shes been dead 125 years. . .:D

. . .I resist the urge to tell a fellow leaving cert to get a life, considering the amount of time I spend studying at the moment, but. . .:D. . .I would seriously recommend a bit more basis to your predictions. . .

Cydoniac wrote: »
    That would be just cruel if they were to mix two poets together. Have they ever done that before?

They can't do it. . .not on the syllabus. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

. . .:D. . .c'mon. . .as if Wordsworth's sister's 240th anniversary means he'll be on the paper. . .:D . . .you obviously missed the sarcasm. . .

If our good friend William appears, the reason is more likely to have something to do with the fact that he hasn't appeared on the Leaving since the 20th Century. . .and Dickenson's imminent appearance will be linked also to the fact that she is due up, not because shes been dead 125 years. . .:D

. . .I resist the urge to tell a fellow leaving cert to get a life, considering the amount of time I spend studying at the moment, but. . .:D. . .I would seriously recommend a bit more basis to your predictions. . .

Wordsworth came up in the 1996 paper, albeit it was a different syllabus and a different exam. Also, your attitude sucks.

• Advertisement

I won't resist the urge. Get a life ;)

aranciata wrote: »
    Wordsworth came up in the 1996 paper, albeit it was a different syllabus and a different exam. Also, your attitude sucks.

. . .1996 was in the 20th century. . .:D

And, yes, it does a little bit. . .but hey, I could be wrong. . .the examiners in 1996 obviously decided to put Wordsworth on the paper because his sisters. . .225th anniversary of her death happened that year. . .I mean, don't you find that a little bit of a stretch. . .just a little bit?. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

While we're on the subject of probability, theres approximately a 3 in 4 chance that Thursday's paper will contain all of the following;

1. An Irish Poet
    2. An American Poet
    3. A Woman
    4. A Poet who came up last year

. . .I'll be offering that bet outside the exam hall Thursday morning, in case anyone's interested. . .

1. An Irish Poet....................Boland
    2. An American Poet.............Frost
    3. A Woman........................Dickinson
    4. A Poet who came up last year......... Don't care

That would be lovely. :P You've left no space for Hopkins or Wordsworth though!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Hopkins or Wordsworth are more likely to come up then Frost in my opinion... Frost came up in 2007 and they're not going to put 2 accessible, "easy" poets on the paper (The other being Eavan Boland). If they did that, they'd be catering to those people and not to the people who have spent time on the more "challenging" poetry. I haven't studied Yeats/Kavanagh/Rich and have no idea who they appeal to.

One of Hopkins or Wordsworth or Dickinson HAVE to come up..

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Hopkins or Wordsworth are more likely to come up then Frost in my opinion... Frost came up in 2007 and they're not going to put 2 accessible, "easy" poets on the paper (The other being Eavan Boland). If they did that, they'd be catering to those people and not to the people who have spent time on the more "challenging" poetry. I haven't studied Yeats/Kavanagh/Rich and have no idea who they appeal to.

Wordsworth is surely an easy poet too? Apart from the inconvenience of Tintern Abbey being 5 pages long, all of his poems deal with pretty much the same thing. The language is straight forward and there aren't any complicated poetic techniques.

I have spent time on the "challenging poetry" :rolleyes: as you call it - I know Hopkins and Dickinson as well as Frost and Boland. Frost would just be my first choice because I find him the easiest to write about. I'm sure some other people feel the same way about Hopkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

There ya go.....

I don't have to. . .;). . .Boland is also a woman. . .Dickenson is also American. . .Rich is an american woman who came up last year. . .they could both come up, and I might still be right. . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

In fairness, the easiness of a poet it very subjective. I think Wordsworth is handy enough, but I know some people who can't click with him. It all depends on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

If we're being honest now, half the country will fail the poetry question if one of, Frost , Boland & Wordsworth don't come up. I don't think anyone from SEC wants that to happen, so expect probably 3/4 predicted poets to come up maybe someone like Yeats/Rich will be thrown in with an easy question to reward the people who studied around 6 poets.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    In fairness, the easiness of a poet it very subjective. I think Wordsworth is handy enough, but I know some people who can't click with him. It all depends on the person.

I agree. I HATE Wordsworth and Boland but have no problem with Hopkins and Dickinson.

• Advertisement

polka dot wrote: »
    I agree. I HATE Wordsworth and Boland but have no problem with Hopkins and Dickinson.

Awww I love Boland! I love her poetry and her themes and everything, not just because she tipped:P If she's up, half the country will answer on her though.:(

I didn't even do Hopkins and Dickenson in class. Most of my poets all came up last year, except for Boland and Wordsworth. My other 3 were Yeats, Kavanagh, and Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cara_

What questions have ye prepared for Wordsworth? Our teacher only covered a personal response question with us and they don't even show on the paper anymore... :( Praying Frost will come up!

cara_ wrote: »
    What questions have ye prepared for Wordsworth? Our teacher only covered a personal response question with us and they don't even show on the paper anymore... :( Praying Frost will come up!

There isn't a whole pile that can be asked about him tbh. Just know his themes, and be able to give examples of sounds in his poetry, like alliteration, assonance etc which add to the beauty of his verse.

Know his relationship with nature, the importance of memory, nature as a moral guide, contemplation, benevolent, higher power in nature (God, pantheism) and the characteristics of Romanaticism.

cara_ wrote: »

Wordsworth as a Romantic poet, the Pantheist things in his poetry, his theme of nature, relevance to a modern audience (yay eco-warriors!)

polka dot wrote: »
    Wordsworth as a Romantic poet, the Pantheist things in his poetry, his theme of nature, relevance to a modern audience (yay eco-warriors!)

How would you go about this??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

how is everyong doing in terms of quotes ? i have probably 2 quotes from each poem of frosy , dicky , and boland which i can expand on ? is that enough to get a decent enought mark ( C-ish) or will i need a few more ?

how is everyong doing in terms of quotes ? i have probably 2 quotes from each poem of frosy , dicky , and boland which i can expand on ? is that enough to get a decent enought mark ( C-ish) or will i need a few more ?
    Systematically learning off quotes is a bad idea. If you familiarise yourself enough with the poems they will come naturally to you. Inserting big rote-learned two line quotes in the middle of an essay is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

Systematically learning off quotes is a bad idea. If you familiarise yourself enough with the poems they will come naturally to you. Inserting big rote-learned two line quotes in the middle of an essay is not a good idea.

nah i havnt learnt them that way , i just have short quotes of predominant images and things like that that i can then expand on . im just worried that , i havnt enough

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Is it enough to only mention 4 poems in an essay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

nommm wrote: »
    Is it enough to only mention 4 poems in an essay?

It's entirely up to you. If you do a solid, non waffle essay where out of 3 poems ou write about you can get 6 paragraphs out of, go ahead.

I did 3 frost poems in my mocks and got 41/50 (which is good for me) 61/whatever with unseen.
    Depends on the poet really, e.g i've to do 5 poems with boland to do get a solid essay out of her poetry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement