Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop falls foul of the Traveller lobby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

jelutong wrote: »
    Any hints on how to tell a good traveller from the other type ? It’s just that I need a barn painted and I’d hate to get stung.

You could start by asking to see his public liability insurance cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

We dont need inside experience..... from the outside has been enough.
    My wife watches these stupid instagram videos: I am going to slightly modify it
    It goes some thing like this:
    "Put one finger up if you had a halting site on your land
    put one finger up if you have seen a horse skid on the road during a sulkie race
    Put one finger up if you have seen a group of traveller robbing in shop
    Put one finger up if you have a dog robbed for a fight
    put one finger up if you or a friend had their van of tools robbed
    Put one finger down if you married your cousin
    Put one finger down if you finished school before the junior cert
    Put one finger down if you or your fella have been in da 'Joy.
    Put one finger down if your first interview was with a guard and it wasnt to join the force.
    Put one finger down if your main employer is the department of Social Welfare.

The point that you lost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

The smarter ones don't get caught....

😂😂😂👍

Dark wit at it's best hehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

jelutong wrote: »
    Any hints on how to tell a good traveller from the other type ? It’s just that I need a barn painted and I’d hate to get stung.

Mention payment by card or bank transfer. The lads I dealt with recently were dealing very strictly in cash. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mention payment by card or bank transfer. The lads I dealt with recently were dealing very strictly in cash. :pac:

The brother got one of them to paint the shed, yer man nearly wet himself when he wrote him a cheque and started jawing on about it but was told take the cheque or don't get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

They are a blight on society.

We'd be better off if they were eradicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

The brother got one of them to paint the shed, yer man nearly wet himself when he wrote him a cheque and started jawing on about it but was told take the cheque or don't get paid.

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

pgj2015 wrote: »

These are Americans though, not Irish? I know the Americans love to call each other Irish or Italian etc, but they're not Irish. Or are we to assume there are a good few undocumented Irish (travellers) living amongst them in "Murphy Village". Jaysus could it get any more stereptypical!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Granadino wrote: »
    These are Americans though, not Irish? I know the Americans love to call each other Irish or Italian etc, but they're not Irish. Or are we to assume there are a good few undocumented Irish (travellers) living amongst them in "Murphy Village". Jaysus could it get any more stereptypical!

We must respect their traditions...

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-travellers-america-1039464-Aug2013/?amp=1

Another clip of the show, shown by TV3 at the launch of their new line-up at Ballymount this week, shows a woman who lives in one of the communities talking about their traditions regarding marriage – calmly explaining to the presenter that it’s fine for a thirteen year old girl to have sex with her ‘husband’ once “she’s started her cycles”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Yeah it's interesting to see how their public relations machine is getting more sophisticated. They've had their taxpayer paid mouthpieces in Pavee Point long enough but in recent years we've seen John Connors on RTE every other week putting on the poor mouth about racism blah blah blah. Now they have a another mouthpiece in the Seanad to tell us all how wonderful they are and what a great contribution to Irish culture they make.

It's the liberal propaganda infestation in Irish media. It's the same thing that's happening around the world first with Greta Thunberg and now with BLM. They want to instil more control over people. Support the liberal agenda or you're a racist who hates disadvantaged people. Pay more taxes to save the environment or you're selfish and destroying the planet. It's going to continue in the decades ahead as more and more things will become controversial through a well planned and executed propaganda movement. In the years ahead it will be controversial to criticise the government. Laws will be brought in to quell 'conspiracy theories' and 'wrongthink' online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

They are a blight on society.

We'd be better off if they were eradicated.

Boards would be better off if racists were eradicated. If only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

.anon. wrote: »

Who am I being racist against?

Granadino wrote: »

They are Irish, they probably didnt marry outside their families so they probably have 100% Irish blood. anyway it doesnt matter where they are from, im saying its a pity we arent as tough on crime as they are in America, I dont think anyone here would object to seeing con men who trick elderly people out of their life savings being given life in prison. someone like that doesnt deserve frredom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

It seems pretty obvious people can say whatever they like in this thread about travellers so frankly i blame the admin, who are quick enough to close threads and ban people who disagree with them on any other matter.
    The funny thing is, the people here slagging travellers are then social justice warriors in other threads it's pathetic really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's certain races of people who'd wish others would be eradicated,but yet they lack understanding and empathy.

Have you studied the backgrounds and mindsets of people who you deem to be racist ?

Do you realize some people are just different, or if you claim to suggest that racist's should be eradicated that you're one of them yourself.

Maybe you should reach out to racist's and ask them how they came to a conclusion that upsets your own world view.

I know some real muckers and they're not liberals or have a clue much about the world outside their Parish Ennis might be like New York to them.

They're not racist because they hate, they probably haven't much experience of the outside world.

They speak a different language, they might say jayzus I was in town today and I seen a lot of ...... they'll take over yet..

That's just their way, it's said in jest nothing more and they don't intend to upset you or anyone else..

Now before you suggest that racist's should be eradicated, have a look in the mirror and listen to yourself... your similar to the people who you suggest need's eradicated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If this such an injustice, you should go visit to any traveller site in this country and tell them you're there to stand in solidarity with them against racism. You might be a bit shocked at their reaction, given your naivety.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

spook_cook wrote: »
    Shocking, absolutely shocking. Whereas the "settled" community are far more civilised... in terms of normalising sex to children from a young age, providing contraception etc to teenagers like the girl in question. But that's totally different, right? :)

Sexual intercourse with a 13 year old is statutory rape.

It seems pretty obvious people can say whatever they like in this thread about travellers so frankly i blame the admin, who are quick enough to close threads and ban people who disagree with them on any other matter.

I share your abhorrence of any forum where people are allowed to express their opinions freely. It's a shocking thing when opinions that don't match one's own aren't immediately censored; ideally before they're even expressed.

Shocking, absolutely shocking. Whereas the "settled" community are far more civilised... in terms of normalising sex to children from a young age, providing contraception etc to teenagers like the girl in question. But that's totally different, right? :)

So, cutting to the chase, are you in favour of 13 year old girls being allowed to marry their cousins - with all that that entails - or not?

• Advertisement

"Settled " people of that age are targetted with contraception, how to have sex and the expectation that they will, by the government, schools and wider society. Spare me your blushes about a teenager from another community talking about sex.

What blushses? Sex with a 13 year old girl is statutory rape. That is a clear and impartial statement of fact and the legal position in this country (and most other countries) which is clearly condoned and accepted as part of so called Traveller "culture". I get that 13 year old are having sex in all walks of life.

Rather than trying to pivot elsewhere on some contraception red herring, are you comfortable with young Traveller girls being "married" off and raped at 13 years of age?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I share your abhorrence of any forum where people are allowed to express their opinions freely. It's a shocking thing when opinions that don't match one's own aren't immediately censored; ideally before they're even expressed.

You misread me stacks i've no problem with opinions in fact i welcome them,
    but there's a difference to an intelligent opinion, and hate speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What Des Bishop said is akin to calling all Jews greedy, or all irish people guinness and potato consuming street fighters, or all yanks as below average intelligence.
    Granted there is no smoke without fire, but it's still wrong to say "ALL"
    and in my opinion, for that he should apologise.
    Don't apologize just clarify. Say well look it was true of the ones I met and worked with on the show and other places

You misread me stacks i've no problem with opinions in fact i welcome them,
    but there's a difference to an intelligent opinion, and hate speech.

Would I be correct to assume that the above clarification is based on your firm belief that you post intelligent opinions?

Posh Dave wrote: »
    What are the statistics with regards traveller crime, percentage in prison etc?. There are some on here that claim that butter would not melt in their mouths. It make me wonder about their level of intelligence.

Perhaps it's based on the somewhat bizzare concept that everyone is innocent until proven guity.

I was utterly humiliated last summer over here in England. Nice balmly summer evening about 4-5 of us hanging around chatting after a running session when all of a sudden a convoy of 10-15 white vans with caravans raced into the car park, over the kerbs and parked up on the playing field by the athletics track.

The others stood around in bewilderment and trying to figure out the registration plates. Much to my horrror but not utterly surprised- Irish Limerick reg plates. Being the only Irish person there I absolutely legged it before I might have to listen to rather uncomortable remarks/confrontation. Sure enough it made for a nice article in the local paper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Based on my real-world interactions with many many members of the travelling community, I would fully agree with Des Bishop's assessment. Not sure what the issue is?

Travellers have absolutely no interest in mixing or integrating with the wider community. It is sealed off and that is the way they want it. Fine. It's basic self preservation. I see it here in England with the Asian communities- they marry and keep everything within the "community". Preserving assets.

They made their own bed but as soon as there is a problem then suddenly it is everyone else's fault- that's the hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was utterly humiliated last summer over here in England. Nice balmly summer evening about 4-5 of us hanging around chatting after a running session when all of a sudden a convoy of 10-15 white vans with caravans raced into the car park, over the kerbs and parked up on the playing field by the athletics track.

The others stood around in bewilderment and trying to figure out the registration plates. Much to my horrror but not utterly surprised- Irish Limerick reg plates. Being the only Irish person there I absolutely legged it before I might have to listen to rather uncomortable remarks/confrontation. Sure enough it made for a nice article in the local paper.

I used love watching the reaction on Londoners faces as the realisation that their "I'm sure most of them are good people" mantra had gone horribly wrong

• Advertisement

why would you be humiliated? They are Irish but not really, settled Irish people probably have more in common with someone from France or Germany than an Irish traveller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement