Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop falls foul of the Traveller lobby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

For the benefit of any racists who want to split hairs. A definition of racism from the OED:

530335.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is hilarious.

Those who think Travellers are holy and all that should live beside them in a halting site or in a house. But they won't and don't want them anywhere near them and rightly so, I wouldn't like it either to be honest. And in the real world I reckon most people think like that too. Apart from those who actually live next door and have a positive experience, which is fine, they are not ALL reprobates. But most of them are to be fair.

They don't have any experience of the real world of work, just scamming, drug dealing, beating people up and sending their daughters into early marriage without any education apart from the Gypsy Wedding fantasy, and cleaning and bearing multiple kids while the sire is in jail over and over.

Anyway. The Traveller movement has made a handy niche for itself. They can do what they like, because the R word silences any criticism now. They might not be educated but they are cute huurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

.anon. wrote: »
    For the benefit of any racists who want to split hairs. A definition of racism from the OED:

530335.png

Is it racist to notice trends and stats within a population?

If it is, then I'm a racist for acknowledging that a disproportionately high amount of Travellers are involved in crime. The thread is full of people going on about how much they hate Travellers in general though. Is it racist to call for the eradication of an ethnic group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Only if you notice 80% that have criminal records.

• Advertisement

Personally I would shiver and move if I thought there was any chance of a Traveller being next or near our house.

Go on, have a go at me, reckon most people earning a crust or stuck on the PUP think the same.

There are rarely any good news stories about Travellers are there? Well apart from the revolving door of two or three of them doing Social Studies or Racism Awareness who are then employed by the very entities that promote gagging the rest of us. Perfect circle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If it is, then I'm a racist for acknowledging that a disproportionately high amount of Travellers are involved in crime. The thread is full of people going on about how much they hate Travellers in general though. Is it racist to call for the eradication of an ethnic group?
    This pretty much. Saying and thinking "Travellers are more likely to be involved in criminality" is uncomfortable, but true and OK, saying "all Travellers are criminals" is not true and not OK.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You know when Ireland are playing a soccer match do Irish travellers watch it or support it? or are any of them into GAA, do they watch it on tv, go to matches etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Personally I would shiver and move if I thought there was any chance of a Traveller being next or near our house.

Go on, have a go at me, reckon most people earning a crust or stuck on the PUP think the same.

There are rarely any good news stories about Travellers are there? Well apart from the revolving door of two or three of them doing Social Studies or Racism Awareness who are then employed by the very entities that promote gagging the rest of us. Perfect circle.

There are many settled travellers living quietly in houses around the country . You dont hear about them because they are simply living their lives .
    A family live beside a member of my family and are polite , helpful , thoughtful and spotless . They dont get press coverage because they do nothing extra ordinary . They are just like the rest of the families on the road actually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭blackbox

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You know when Ireland are playing a soccer match do Irish travellers watch it or support it? or are any of them into GAA, do they watch it on tv, go to matches etc?

I'm not a traveller and I don't do any of these things.

What is your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ggg we saw traveller funerals in our town with upwards of 100 people attending in the first weeks of lockdown.

No gardi , no complaints from anyone. Nobody seems to have the bal#s to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

They are not an ethnic group, incestuous group probably but definitely not ethnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭pgj2015

blackbox wrote: »
    I'm not a traveller and I don't do any of these things.

What is your point?

you might not but a lot of our population do. im just curious to see if they partake in things a huge part of our population do. like are they proud to be Irish? do they want share the island with the rest of us or do they just want to do their own thing and have nothing to do with us?

statesaver wrote: »
    They are not an ethnic group, incestuous group probably but definitely not ethnic.

Whether racists like it or not, Travellers are legally recognised as an ethnic group in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Travellers have been a trendy pet group for liberals for year's

Why do you think the media tribe love them so much?

The 'media tribe' as you call them do not love travellers. They are thrown a few bones for appearances sake.

Boards.ie is a snapshot of Irish society and it proves that travellers are the last minority group who are fair game. In other words it is socially acceptable to denigrate them and disparage them.

Part of the problem is the 'traveller lobby' as the OP terms them are not as educated and integrated as other minority groups. Such as the LGBT groups of which many who are highly educated and involved in the arts and upper echelons of society etc. It gives the LGBT community a loud voice disproportionate to thier number.

In contrast the traveller lobby is weak and is not helped by lack of integration with the settled community.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The 'media tribe' as you call them do not love travellers. They are thrown a few bones for appearances sake.

Boards.ie is a snapshot of Irish society and it proves that travellers are the last minority group who are fair game. In other words it is socially acceptable to denigrate them and disparage them.

Part of the problem is the 'traveller lobby' as the OP terms them are not as educated and integrated as other minority groups. Such as the LGBT groups of which many who are highly educated and involved in the arts and upper echelons of society etc. It gives the LGBT community a loud voice disproportionate to thier number.

In contrast the traveller lobby is weak and is not helped by lack of integration with the settled community.

LGBT groups don’t break into old people’s houses and rob them though.
    They don’t fight at funerals, weddings and christenings either and I’ve never heard of a town having to shut down because of the funeral of a LGBT member.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Whether racists like it or not, Travellers are legally recognised as an ethnic group in this country.

Racists :rolleyes:
    You cannot be racist to white people. Travellers are above the law in this country.

Remember, whites cannot be racist to whites whether fools like it or not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Part of the problem is the 'traveller lobby' as the OP terms them are not as educated and integrated as other minority groups.
    And where does the blame lie there G? Yes of course there is discrimination, but there is also the Traveller culture that doesn't value education and takes kids out of school early and has them married off young. Not a lot of options for third level. And as iamwhoiam notes and it has been my experience too, there are quite the number of settled Travellers out there and people who have been "settled" for generations. People who saw the leg up of free education and subsidised housing back in the 50's and 60's and 70's as a way to give their kids a leg up. I know one such family and AFAIK all of the current generation have passed third level education and are doing very well for themselves. The problem is, or at least certainly seems like it, that many of those who are left in the Traveller lifestyle have little or no intention of leaving it behind. Whether that's because it's more lucrative or the fear of the unknown or both, who can tell, but until enough do then...

And T below has a valid point regarding the differences in your example.
    They don’t fight at funerals, weddings and christenings either and I’ve never heard of a town having to shut down because of the funeral of a LGBT member.
    Enough of a proportion of Travellers do all of the above and terrorise people, particularly in rural areas and seem to get away with it too often.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Travellers have been a trendy pet group for liberals for year's

Why do you think the media tribe love them so much?

So no person or persons from the LGBT commuinty has ever got involved in any fights or any criminality? Get real.
    Is this your level of stupidity and prejudice?
    Criminality only exists in one group?

Ever heard of Ronnie and Reggie Kray?
    One a gay man and the another a bisexual for example.

Wibbs wrote: »
    And where does the blame lie there G? Yes of course there is discrimination, but there is also the Traveller culture that doesn't value education and takes kids out of school early and has them married off young. Not a lot of options for third level. And as iamwhoiam notes and it has been my experience too, there are quite the number of settled Travellers out there and people who have been "settled" for generations. People who saw the leg up of free education and subsidised housing back in the 50's and 60's and 70's as a way to give their kids a leg up. I know one such family and AFAIK all of the current generation have passed third level education and are doing very well for themselves. The problem is, or at least certainly seems like it, that many of those who are left in the Traveller lifestyle have little or no intention of leaving it behind. Whether that's because it's more lucrative or the fear of the unknown or both, who can tell, but until enough do then...

I am not saying that the traveller community shares no blame. With thier attitude towards education and so on. Have kids young etc. I view many of the problems the travellers have as similar to those from working class settled people.

No need for the settled community to put the boot in if any traveller is involved in criminality, and say they are all at it though.

I won't be alive in 50 years time. But it is interesting to think how Ireland will have changed by then. And if many of the traveller commuinty managed to get thier act together by then and improved thier position in Irish society. Or if it will exist at all.

• Advertisement

I am not saying that the traveller community shares no blame. With thier attitude towards education and so on. Have kids young etc. I view many of the problems the travellers have as similar to those from working class settled people.
    While the working class have certainly suffered from similar and still do today, the percentage of those not finishing secondary education is significantly lower than among Travellers and that gulf has widened with each generation. 30 years ago few working class kids went to university, today way more do. The same is not true for Traveller kids.
    No need for the settled community to put the boot in if any traveller is involved in criminality, and say they are all at it though.
    I fully agree, however the percentage of Travellers coming to the attention of the Irish legal system is so high and the antisocial behaviour is so open and affects the wider community, especially in rural areas, it is hardly a surprise people do. Never mind that the Traveller groups rarely acknowledge it and when they do all too often the victimhood stuff comes out and people are getting tired of that. Put it another way, let's say you like eating mushrooms and someone tells you that 8 out of 10 mushrooms in your area are poisonous, would you take the risk picking any for your table? It's basic human nature. It's often not nice but it is understandable.
    I won't be alive in 50 years time. But it is interesting to think how Ireland will have changed by then. And if many of the traveller commuinty managed to get thier act together by then and improved thier position in Irish society. Or if it will exist at all.
    Well the Travellers of 80 years ago live very different lives to those today. Their old lifestyle and utility in rural areas is largely gone, with some holdovers of tradition. I can't see how their current way of life can hope to continue and that current way is more like "settled" people apart. How many Travellers live most of the year on the road in caravans? They used to.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    There are many settled travellers living quietly in houses around the country . You dont hear about them because they are simply living their lives .
    A family live beside a member of my family and are polite , helpful , thoughtful and spotless . They dont get press coverage because they do nothing extra ordinary . They are just like the rest of the families on the road actually

Hearsay is not evidence lol. Settled Travellers are not Travellers anymore good on them. The clue is in the name.

So the rest of them still roaming around are protected by Pavee Point, the Irish Times and so on who would have a total conniption if any of them moved in next door/apartment. Be honest now.

The CAB are on their case now, and about time too. But reports cannot mention them as being travellers, but we all know. Only a Traveller would have Rolex watches surely. Bling almighty!

Only a Traveller would have Rolex watches surely. Bling almighty!
    By my count you've just suggested at least four of the folks on the Watches forum hereabouts are Travellers. :D Hell, I've even owned a few* back in the day.

*vintage ones and at a time when a couple of hundred quid would get you one so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Des hasnt really done a whole lot in the last 2 years.

Maybe hes in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

. Only a Traveller would have Rolex watches surely. Bling almighty!

Fairly tacky alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hearsay is not evidence lol. Settled Travellers are not Travellers anymore good on them. The clue is in the name.

So the rest of them still roaming around are protected by Pavee Point, the Irish Times and so on who would have a total conniption if any of them moved in next door/apartment. Be honest now.

The CAB are on their case now, and about time too. But reports cannot mention them as being travellers, but we all know. Only a Traveller would have Rolex watches surely. Bling almighty!

Did I say it was evidence of anythinh LOL . I was giving an opinion which is just as valid as yours LOL .

Wibbs wrote: »
    By my count you've just suggested at least four of the folks on the Watches forum hereabouts are Travellers. :D Hell, I've even owned a few* back in the day

vintage ones and at a time when a couple of hundred quid would get you one so...

Ah but how many of the folks on the watches forum have been raided by the CAB, that's my point....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Im not so sure, is a kid born in England to Irish parents Irish or English?

There are Travellers in England who talk with Irish accents but were born in England, some might never have been in Ireland, its because they don't mix with anyone who isnt a traveller.

Like the Gallaghers or all of The Smiths? They’re English and said so themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the traveller lobby is extremely effective and influential amongst the left wing media , academia and NGO sector

there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why the media should eulogize travellers , its a rotten culture yet the media do not tell the truth about them , if someone is afraid to tell the truth about you , thats power

• Advertisement

the traveller lobby is extremely effective and influential amongst the left wing media , academia and NGO sector

there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why the media should eulogize travellers , its a rotten culture yet the media do not tell the truth about them , if someone is afraid to tell the truth about you , thats power

They may not encourage education for their children, but they sure as heck have the media on their side.

A media that supports them, but would never live next to them, is that right now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement