Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop falls foul of the Traveller lobby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

So on the basis of ONE woman all traveller women are the same? You do realise how ridiculous that sounds.?

My point is Des Bishop claimed ALL travellers. Which is patently untrue.

It is similar to saying all priests are pedophiles or anyone named Graham Dwyer is a murderer.

Or - something that people on Boards have a tendency to get terribly annoyed about - saying that men are bad because most of the world's violent crime is carried out by 'them'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Slideways

So on the basis of ONE woman all traveller women are the same? You do realise how ridiculous that sounds.?

It is similar to saying all priests are pedophiles or anyone named Graham Dwyer is a murderer.

How’s about we meet in the middle ground and say the majority of travellers are work shy, violent and uncontrollable kleptomaniacs

• Registered Users Posts: 85,459 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    martin BEANZ ward isnt especially funny but he seems like a sound enough bloke

would be a shame if he decided to jump on the grievance train which so many well known travellers ( DR sindy joyce etc ) have made of living from

Beanz wanted to have a tea or coffee with Peter Casey, I'm surprised now he picks on Des

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why isn't tusla making sure every travellers child is in school?
    If settled folk or as I call them normal decent hard working people done what they do they'd be doing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If settled folk or as I call them normal decent hard working people done what they do they'd be doing time.

Culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Cashel Mc wrote: »
    The only place for them , only good one is a ____ one

Shocking statement, how very Trump of you. If you said that about any other ethnic group you’d be banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Posh Dave

Shocking statement, how very Trump of you. If you said that about any other ethnic group you’d be banned.

Do you not know it’s ok to be racist to travelers because they are a bunch of scumbags

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Posh Dave

Would you like to live beside them? You might change your tune then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Posh Dave wrote: »
    Would you like to live beside them? You might change your tune then.

I’d certainly take living beside them before living beside you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Because all those QUANGOS adhere to a PC ethos

That means you don't apply the same standards and rules to official minority groups

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Posh Dave, stay out of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Posts in defence of Travellers here are all along the lines of "it's not all Travellers!" which is absolutely true - not all Travellers are involved in anti social behaviour and criminality - it's just that a massive and totally disproportionate amount of Travellers are involved in anti social behaviour and criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Posts in defence of Travellers here are all along the lines of "it's not all Travellers!" which is absolutely true - not all Travellers are involved in anti social behaviour and criminality - it's just that a massive and totally disproportionate amount of Travellers are involved in anti social behaviour and criminality.

And the ones that arent usually defend , hide, provide alibis for or benefit from the spoils of the ones that are. I have yet to see one story about a traveller calling the gardai, cab, revenue on all the criminals in the halting site , standing up for morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,873 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Culture?

Keeping the next generation uneducated ensures the cycle continues.

Every so often there's a good news story that one or two get a uni degree. Big whoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Every so often there's a good news story that one or two get a uni degree. Big whoop.

Almost always in social studies, whereupon they are immediately employed by some taxpayer-funded quango and become "travellers rights activists".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Slideways wrote: »
    How’s about we meet in the middle ground and say the majority of travellers are work shy, violent and uncontrollable kleptomaniacs

Oh My goodness gooseberries, I do declare that is the nicest thing I have have ever heard said about the travelling community and their shenanigans!

Almost always in social studies, whereupon they are immediately employed by some taxpayer-funded quango and become "travellers rights activists".

Feels like you went out for a gun license, bought a gun, ammo, Bipod, scope, oil and cleaning kit. You joined the local gun club. Then you installed mount over the fire place and a gun safe, then you purposely shot yourself in your own foot with your own gun. Then you wondered how did it all go wrong?

That is not true they graduate valedictorian in Development Studies, Diversity studies, Culture studies and Beauty Therapy with double chips on each shoulder. Those are well balanced educations. Model employees for Quangos and NGO's.

Degrees in Accountancy, Science (other than social science), Electronic, Maths, Finance and education....... not so much.

That would be as futile as trying to catch all the raindrops falling from the sky. Much much easier to pick the low lying fruit. Look over there, a working class, working seperated father with two kids a mortgage, rent, car payments to pay and christmas on the way . Lets ride his ass proper for late maintenance.

• Advertisement

That is true. 80% of traveller males over 22 years of age have criminal records.

That is true. 80% of traveller males over 22 years of age have criminal records.

The smarter ones don't get caught....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I’ll apologise when they give back all the cow gates!

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I’ll apologise when they give back all the cow gates!

They sell the ones that rust as soon as they leave the van....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Yes he did.
    He said he was sorry.

Well Des Bishop said that all travellers, drink a lot, get violent, when they drink, and are all feudal. That might not be true of all of them, but it's true of the vast majority of them in my experience. Look at all the trouble in pubs, and after weddings and funerals involving them. Look at all the videos on youtube about traveller feuds and fights etc.

You are deluded if you think these issues affect the settled community as much as they do travellers. Look at the way they destroy housing estates, with their anti social behaviour, and illegal dumping etc. Jesus anyone who lives around the Spring Lane halting site in Cork, will tell you all about it.

When i worked in a shop, the most nasty incident i experienced involved members of that community. I was threatened and abused for just doing my job. Im old enough in life, to come to the conclusion that all my experiences with these people, from when i was in primary school right up to the present day have been negative. I don't apologise to anyone for having that opinion.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

The smarter ones don't get caught....

Thanks I was wondering where that other 20% went. Its always important to account for everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

What Des Bishop said is akin to calling all Jews greedy, or all irish people guinness and potato consuming street fighters, or all yanks as below average intelligence.
    Granted there is no smoke without fire, but it's still wrong to say "ALL"
    and in my opinion, for that he should apologise.

What Des Bishop said is akin to calling all Jews greedy, or all irish people guinness and potato consuming street fighters, or all yanks as below average intelligence.
    Granted there is no smoke without fire, but it's still wrong to say "ALL"
    and in my opinion, for that he should apologise.

What if he was only 80% right? Should he have to apologise then,

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

It's that dodgy 95% that give the rest of them a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

What if he was only 80% right? Should he have to apologise then,

Yes because he was wrong.
    but only if he wants to i wouldn't force him to do it, like someone else said it's meaningless then.
    But if he doesn't, it's slander imo to call ALL travellers these things

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement