Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop falls foul of the Traveller lobby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

dd973 wrote: »
    Fancy fighting one then....:D

Have done, made my life hell in school so I had to stand up to him to try put an end to it. Once I did that it was the end of it, got the usual crap "Ah I was only having a laugh", "don't take it so hard", never had any trouble after that.

Played against Traveler teams in GAA, anyone in Dublin will know the team, was always a great to play, it was hard tough match but fair and any fighting that was done was between themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

A traveler thread lasting longer than a day on boards.

Mods are sliipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Travellers are all gob, facebook and youtube. They are afraid of the dark and box like big girls. They just wallop each other they have no style or form, can be seen on any feud fight. Then they bring out the lead pipes and the billhooks.

I’ve seen this first hand too.
    All shouting and roaring but very little fighting skill.
    Anyone half decent at defending himself would come out on top in a one to one. But then the whole lot jump in and weapons are used.
    They’re better at the call-out videos than they are at the fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Again using the Graham Dwyer example!e It must mean all middle class settled people commit murder by the logic of some. I am not annoyed I just feel sorry for you. Because if you start viewing the world in terms of 'them' and 'us' your world becomes narrower, there is no nuance and people fail to see people as people. Taking people as they are whoever they are is replaced by use definitive terms such as 'all' instead of 'some' for example.It speaks volumes of an individuals mindset. If I use the same logic as the resentful and bigoted I would hate my own settled people because they robbed me and stole from me. But no traveller has ever done any harm to me. The opposite in fact. Kind and courteous.
    But I am not naive and bigoted to say that all travellers or settled people behave in the same way. Even on boards.ie some people might never break the 'don't be a dick' rule, some might break it the odd time, some most of the time. But I would not view ALL boards posters as dicks!

In fairness some cultures in middle class white men have been called out in the last few years. Look at the #metoo movement in Hollywood. Some of these people abusing their power and were rightly called out for it and some even prosecuted.
    I mean why aren't feminists in uproar because traveller women are taken out of school at 15 and married to their cousins and kept at home as baby machines? Something like 85% of them suffer domestic abuse I saw in the Irish times. Yet no one wants to talk about this.
    They are only human like the rest of us but their very culture and way of life is toxic and leads to women living in Taliban like situations and men killing themselves and dying really young all the time.

Does anyone remember the email forwards that used to go around pre-911 sometime about how women were treated by the Taliban, and we'd all gasp in disgust and horror?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

dd973 wrote: »
    Fancy fighting one then....:D

Shure I would in my prime. I am a bit old for fighting but I would have done Karate and Tae-kwon-do in my youth. I wouldnt back down from one then and I wouldnt back down from one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Cashel Mc

Shocking statement, how very Trump of you. If you said that about any other ethnic group you’d be banned.

Well , too many bad experiences with travellers and my property and work place.
    Apologies for causing offence to anyone, but if anyone wants advice, the best thing ever invented is big f off electric gates , seems to stop them now boss.

Cashel Mc wrote: »
    ............ but if anyone wants advice, the best thing ever invented is big f off electric gates , seems to stop them now boss.

and dogs, especially Dobermans and German shepherds

A traveler thread lasting longer than a day on boards.

Its hard to silence the truth. Either that or a few mods have been relieved of the belongings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

It really amazes me how threads like this are absolutely allowed bash travellers and call them every name under the sun.
    But go in any other thread and have a different opinion to the sheep and you get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

if you want to know the real farce regarding tusla and allowances look no further than foster payments.
    And let me tell you, travellers are far, far from the worst offenders of the fraud going on in this area.

I'm not saying they are engaged in fraud. However, there are ample statistics that traveller children miss more school days on average than settled children. If there this had knock on consequences on benefits than, then there is a financial incentive to ensure this doesn't happen. Childrens allowance is for the benefit of children, and ensuring equal access to education is one of the most substantial benefits that can be given a child.

• Advertisement

I mean why aren't feminists in uproar because traveller women are taken out of school at 15 and married to their cousins and kept at home as baby machines? Something like 85% of them suffer domestic abuse I saw in the Irish times. Yet no one wants to talk about this.
    They are only human like the rest of us but their very culture and way of life is toxic and leads to women living in Taliban like situations and men killing themselves and dying really young all the time.

Traveller women dont have many options and less places to go. They are starting out on a poor foot in education and before options become available they are off and married. If they dont they are seen as "shopsoiled" by the age of 20. If they leave and take on the "Buffer" or settled lifestyle they are shunned by their community. I have seen male travellers in school and they dont fit into the system. They cannot get to grasp with the educational system and how fast it moves. So they just become disruptive.

"If I cant make it, then I will break it!".

I am sure someone is going to point out the odd few that do climb the ladder out of it but they are few and far between.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I'm not saying they are engaged in fraud. However, there are ample statistics that traveller children miss more school days on average than settled children. If there this had knock on consequences on benefits than, then there is a financial incentive to ensure this doesn't happen. Childrens allowance is for the benefit of children, and ensuring equal access to education is one of the most substantial benefits that can be given a child.

The childrens allowance thing is a weak argument to pin on travellers.
    I see plenty of non traveller folk cue up outside the post office every week in town, get the cash and then into the off licence for smokes and booze and probably smack by the looks of some of them.
    Who's worse ?

It really amazes me how threads like this are absolutely allowed bash travellers and call them every name under the sun.
    But go in any other thread and have a different opinion to the sheep and you get banned.

All you have to do is point out what I said that is wrong and you will get an apology, I will prostrate myself before your for your amusement.

I see plenty of non traveller folk cue up outside the post office every week in town, get the cash and then into the off licence for smokes and booze and probably smack by the looks of some of them.
    Who's worse ?

Their kids are at school that is the main difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It’ll be locked any minute now.

They always are.

All you have to do is point out what I said that is wrong and you will get an apology, I will prostrate myself before your for your amusement.

you're ok skooter when you've heard one bigot you've heard them all.

and dogs, especially Dobermans and German shepherds

They sure be hateing on the dogs.
    Sometimes wonder are dogs the only living thing with a bit of authority they actually do respect

Travellers are all gob, facebook and youtube. They are afraid of the dark and box like big girls. They just wallop each other they have no style or form, can be seen on any feud fight. Then they bring out the lead pipes and the billhooks.

haha so says the ultimate boards keyboard warrior

haha so says the ultimate boards keyboard warrior

Look at the haymakers being thrown, there is no style it is simply about how many blows to the head/body you can take. They spend most of the time hugging each other.

Cashel Mc wrote: »
    Sometimes wonder are dogs the only living thing with a bit of authority they actually do respect

Its hard to argue with a Doberman when he has you pinned in a corner and he is biting chunks out of your cheap cotton track pants and close to touching bone. Tetanus shots for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

OscarMIlde wrote: »

Denis Naughton tried to push this idea when he was a Cabinet Minister and was almost deafened by the howls of outrage from both the Opposition and a range of taxpayer funded bodied with an interest in so-called human rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The
    It would be OK if this was said but the clear implication was ALL. to drink and so on. In fact one of the statements Des made used the word ALL in relation to social welfare. Which is wrong by any reasonable persons definition.

No, I am merely saying to judge a person because (a certain cohort associated with them culturally) have behaved badly in the past is wrong. Much as many of your county men who emigrated to the USA and UK and were stereotyped as fighting drunks.

And yes a fair few of them were like that.
    But a lot of them put their heads down and worked damn hard to achieve something.
    Lots of them achieved legitimate success and wealth, eventually gaining positions of prominence within society.
    One of them that emigrated in the early 20th century had a descendant that became US ambassador to Ireland a few years back.
    And one of them will have a descendant hopefully in charge in the White House in a month or two. :D

Not bad for a supposed bunch of fighting drunks, ehhh.
    For the record I believe it is wrong to stereotype one group on the actions of a few and imply ALL. Similar to saying that ALL the past members of the Mayo football team since 1951 were bottlers. It would be wrong and it is clear it was only some/many who let others down - not all.

Well maybe if we didn't have to face the most professional team with the most financial clout ever in the history of the GAA, then we might have won a few. ;)

You were the one that dragged Mayo GAA into this, just remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭AUDI20

Tommy Tiernan, now theres a man who could tell a joke about travellers, and get away with it

In fairness Tommy could tell a joke about anyone and get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In fairness some cultures in middle class white men have been called out in the last few years. Look at the #metoo movement in Hollywood. Some of these people abusing their power and were rightly called out for it and some even prosecuted.

Does anyone remember the email forwards that used to go around pre-911 sometime about how women were treated by the Taliban, and we'd all gasp in disgust and horror?

because feminists are nearly always to the last woman ( and man ) card carrying PC merchants , this means while they can lambast " white men " till the cows come home , they turned a blind eye to grievous examples of misogyny from the traveller and of course islamic community

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Who's worse ?

its endemic within " the traveller community "

statistics are horrendous across the board when it comes to them and despite massive amounts of tax payer money having been thrown at them this past three decades , things are worse than ever

they are a professional victim class at this stage with many vested interests earning a very decent living from this grim freak show , not to mention the endlessly fertile ground for virtue signalling , Des Bishop apology is just another weekly example of this rank hypocrasy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Any hints on how to tell a good traveller from the other type ? It’s just that I need a barn painted and I’d hate to get stung.

jelutong wrote: »
    Any hints on how to tell a good traveller from the other type ? It’s just that I need a barn painted and I’d hate to get stung.

I am not touching this one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The gas thing about this is that Dea actually lived with travellers for a time, he has first hand knowledge of them and still said what he said.

Unlike most people he actually knows from the inside what he is talking about.

The gas thing about this is that Dea actually lived with travellers for a time, he has first hand knowledge of them and still said what he said.

Unlike most people he actually knows from the inside what he is talking about.

We dont need inside experience..... from the outside has been enough.
    My wife watches these stupid instagram videos: I am going to slightly modify it
    It goes some thing like this:
    "Put one finger up if you had a halting site on your land
    put one finger up if you have seen a horse skid on the road during a sulkie race
    Put one finger up if you have seen a group of traveller robbing in shop
    Put one finger up if you have a dog robbed for a fight
    put one finger up if you or a friend had their van of tools robbed
    Put one finger down if you married your cousin
    Put one finger down if you finished school before the junior cert
    Put one finger down if you or your fella have been in da 'Joy.
    Put one finger down if your first interview was with a guard and it wasnt to join the force.
    Put one finger down if your main employer is the department of Social Welfare.

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »

You can tell by the van
    Sign writing on the van with mobile number only - good
    Van with hi vis chevrons on the rear and highway maintenance- bad
    Actually how come these upstanding business men never have an address on the van , like most tradesmen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement