Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Christy42 wrote: »
    In any case while people may disagree with the exact iniatives the greens come up with but this will help bring the discussion forward. We have to have it. We know the planet is suffering (well the planet is fine, the environment will just be less ideal for humans to live in). Maybe we can get other parties offering green alternatives for people to vote for.

Hopefully if green parties do well across europe then EU wide iniatives can get enacted which have a bigger effect than simply Ireland.

I honestly think this might be one of the big reasons people went green. It's been in the news recently and it's being pushed harder and harder. Ordinary Joe soap is not expected to understand what we can do to solve it so better to put those candidates forward than putting FG and FF in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Anyone listening to rte is that mick Barry talking rubbish ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't live in the city. I drive to a P&R for the train.

Lots more P+R facilities would be a great idea. Would take lots of cars off the roads into the city. Won't benifit everyone but many would. .

Let's see if that happens or just tax the car drivers without giving them an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We need to invest heavily in both public and private transport options, but I agree, we ve developed our society around the car, this needs to be addressed, but it won't be easy, it won't be easy for us to move this from a private model, to a public one, and you d have to wonder if that's even possible

It's definitely not something which is going to happen overnight. And it is going to be a challenge as many will tell rural dwellers that the solution to the problem is that they have to move to towns or cities (I am against this as a hard and fast rule as rural Ireland needs people living in it in order to maintain it and give it life).

But, the car should only be a 'no other option' solution. Encouragement for car pooling or park and ride facilities on the outskirts of cities could still help in this space. We often see the car as a necessity because we don't even stop to think of alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

The right wing media didn't see this coming

Ireland is a much more liberal and socially conscious country than most people think

The silent majority have spoken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Blueshoe wrote: »
    No I said taxing us here in Ireland won't make any difference to how China and India continue their polluting ways. So you got that all wrong.

Housing, healthcare etc are issues that cannot be "fixed"

Black holes that require endless funding. Carbon taxation is incoming. Re introduction of water charges also.

Essentially we will all be paying more tax with no alternatives and nothing will change.
    Ireland 101.

That's not what you said, I have it quoted earlier on.
    Either way, if it is what you've said, its wrong.
    We have little control of what China and India are doing - but we have control of what we do. We are simply not doing enough.
    You know this yourself.

Housing, transport are two key areas that need to be addressed but not in the way that some of the more off the wall candidates suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lots more P+R facilities would be a great idea. Would take lots of cars off the roads into the city. Won't benifit everyone but many would. .

Let's see if that happens or just tax the car drivers without giving them an alternative

This is the thing. The carrot needs to come before the stick.

Good park and ride facilities with direct non stop transport into the city could even have people drive away from the city to use them.

kippy wrote: »
    That's not what you said, I have it quoted earlier on.
    Either way, if it is what you've said, its wrong.
    We have little control of what China and India are doing - but we have control of what we do. We are simply not doing enough.
    You know this yourself.

Housing, transport are two key areas that need to be addressed but not in the way that some of the more off the wall candidates suggest.

That is what I said though. It's a few pages back for all to see.
    That's important

That is what I said though. It's a few pages back for all to see.
    That's important

"So no more holidays for joe soap. Anyone with a diesel screwed even more. A green version of fine Gael.

Do you think our suffering will keep the Chinese or Indians up at night. Guilt them into changing their ways.
    Walking us into more taxes which will make absolutely no difference to the environment. There are no alternatives in Ireland"
    What you said.

Our "Suffering" ........... Really.............

Maybe they were Pissed off having to talk to you mick. I bloody would.

• Advertisement

"So no more holidays for joe soap. Anyone with a diesel screwed even more. A green version of fine Gael.

Do you think our suffering will keep the Chinese or Indians up at night. Guilt them into changing their ways.
    Walking us into more taxes which will make absolutely no difference to the environment. There are no alternatives in Ireland"
    What you said.

Our "Suffering" ........... Really.............

Thanks for finding the quote. So where did I say the Chinese and Indians have it better than us?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    The right wing media didn't see this coming

Ireland is a much more liberal and socially conscious country than most people think

The silent majority have spoken

What right wing media?

Thanks for finding the quote. So where did I say the Chinese and Indians have it better than us?

We dont suffer relative to the chinese and Indians........any time. To suggest that we suffer, is to suggest that they have it better than us - getting away with their polluting etc......

We dont suffer relative to the chinese and Indians........any time.

You have picked out the bits to suit yourself. Irish people paying carbon taxes won't make the Chinese and Indians feel sorry for us and change their ways. It's pointless.
    Read it slowly and take 5 to digest.

Pat "the cope" Gallagher isn't happy it seems.

No gonna keep dragging this off topic as it is about elections but last post on this:

1. There are lots of people here complaining about traffic/transport and housing. The two are intrinsicly linked.
    2. There's a few more agreieved at the health system - again you could say it's also linked closely to 1.
    3. Then there's the "environment and sustainability" issues that can also be closely linked to the two above.

There's absolutely no point in electing the outlier policiticans who are part of no party - we've seen with the current government setup that even when they have some form of "power" they get swallowed up.
    The "Main" parties HAVE to change their policies but that only comes from the electorate demanding change - granted a few protest votes might do this but not fast enough.

No gonna keep dragging this off topic as it is about elections but last post on this:

1. There are lots of people here complaining about traffic/transport and housing. The two are intrinsicly linked.
    2. There's a few more agreieved at the health system - again you could say it's also linked closely to 1.
    3. Then there's the "environment and sustainability" issues that can also be closely linked to the two above.

There's absolutely no point in electing the outlier policiticans who are part of no party - we've seen with the current government setup that even when they have some form of "power" they get swallowed up.
    The "Main" parties HAVE to change their policies but that only comes from the electorate demanding change - granted a few protest votes might do this but not fast enough.

All are also linked to population numbers

You have picked out the bits to suit yourself. Irish people paying carbon taxes won't make the Chinese and Indians feel sorry for us and change their ways. It's pointless.
    Read it slowly and take 5 to digest.

Why are you looking towards the Chinese and Indians in the first instance?
    One of your main issues, it seems, is with traffic. How do the Chinese and Indians impact on that for us??

Irish people don't suffer (in the context you put it) relative to other nations - we are extremely lucky to live where we live under the conditions that we do. At least 2/3 of the world would gladly swap with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We need to invest heavily in both public and private transport options, but I agree, we ve developed our society around the car, this needs to be addressed, but it won't be easy, it won't be easy for us to move this from a private model, to a public one, and you d have to wonder if that's even possible

10 minutes this morning at a bus stop waiting for a bus, it shows up but is only going as far as the city centre (no word of this on RTPI) next bus is in 25 minutes I'd have been home in 20 minutes if I was driving, instead I'm waiting 35 just to start a bus journey

No amount of funding is going to change this carry one, we built around the car because at least it works.

The Greens are the living breathing embodiment of well meaning tyrants (those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There is a point if they are someone whose manifesto you agree with. That is the principle of elections and democracy.

If enough people do this, then, as is possible as an outcome of yesterdays election, those established parties see the way the wind is blowing and move in that direction.

What alternative way is there to make the main parties change their policies?

• Advertisement

Why are you looking towards the Chinese and Indians in the first instance?
    One of your main issues, it seems, is with traffic. How do the Chinese and Indians impact on that for us??

Irish people don't suffer (in the context you put it) relative to other nations - we are extremely lucky to live where we live under the conditions that we do. At least 2/3 of the world would gladly swap with us.

Incoming carbon taxes under the pretence that taking the alternative will avoid the tax for people. Ie pushing people to be more "green" but the alternative structure doesn't exist so the possible tax cannot be avoided making it just another cash grab under the guise of saving the planet .

Nothing to do with Chinese traffic! Moreso to do with Irish people paying a carbon tax won't save the world .

Are the two thirds of other people in developing countries? As long as I can remember people have been emigrating in droves. History tells the same story. Banana Republic
    Ok.

this thread is becoming very focused on responses to someone who didnt know how voting worked twelve hours ago.

the exit poll tells an interesting story. transfers are going to show a more fractured and unpredictable electorate than the main parties are used to.

that's healthy.

as kippy said, this has definitely been an issues/policy led result so far and fg/ff will have to react

that's healthy.

sf took a bit of a kick, reflecting that their day as a stick to beat the bigger lads with might be waning. if people wanted no solution rabble rousing opposition they now have independents with fairly constructive ideas to vote for

thats healthy

greens are riding a wave of climate votes and the cycle of punishment from their FF flack jacket stint coming to an end

thats healthy

settlin in for a good weekend of interesting fluctuations

There is a point if they are someone whose manifesto you agree with. That is the principle of elections and democracy.

If enough people do this, then, as is possible as an outcome of yesterdays election, those established parties see the way the wind is blowing and move in that direction.

What alternative way is there to make the main parties change their policies?

Join the party - engage with the process at a level other than being a voter and/or form a party of like minded individuals.
    Look, I don't disagree with you, sometimes you need to push the parties in one way or another but usually this takes far too long.
    The big parties are the big parties for a reason.

The engagement with the election is yet again the most dissappointing thing. In or around 50 percent turnout - what is wrong with the other 50 odd percent? What do they think? Should elections be ran on a Saturday even as a trial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Because the report after vindicated her and showed she done nothing wrong.

She misled the Dail , misled the Taoiseach.

She misled the Dail , misled the Taoiseach.

havent i seen you rep hard for sf?

i mean, forgive me but....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

They discussed on the radio yesterday that close to 120k people travel into Dublin by car everyday.

This is absolutely appalling on several fronts. Irish policy should be to get as much of that to collective transport as possible. There are strong reasons for that. a) commuting is stressful and time consuming b) it is environmentally unsound c) reducing pollution may reduce the risk of dementia d) I lived in Dublin for more than 15 years and it is a filthy kip to navigate by foot and primary contributor to that is the focus on doing as little as possible to facilitate pedestrian and public transport.

yeah the idea that 120k motorists travelling to dublin by car = 120k voters who are desperate to continue doing so is a total nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

All are also linked to population numbers

They are linked to poor planning, something not addressed in Strasbourg but in Dublin.

There are million people cities across Europe which do not have issues to the extent Dublin has and which are not littered with poorly laid out semi D sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I voted independent in both local and European

I have zero faith in any of our main political parties

Change will take time. It's the long game. But refusing to support corrupt establishment parties will at least ensure that day arrives a little sooner

If we don't believe things can change, then things won't change

Have a great weekend everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Hope Liadh Ní Riadh doesn't win a seat. Her comments about vaccines were stupid and she spends her time scaremongering about an EU army.

Advertisement