Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bambi wrote:
    Public transport has never (and will never) ease anyone frustrations in this country. The car is king for a reason.

We need to invest heavily in both public and private transport options, but I agree, we ve developed our society around the car, this needs to be addressed, but it won't be easy, it won't be easy for us to move this from a private model, to a public one, and you d have to wonder if that's even possible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭Patser

Lots of commentary on that article in the comments section saying it's nonsense and countries are releasing exit poll results. Telegraph is not the paper it once was.

Maybe, but there are still no exit polls, results coming out in UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What they choose to do is their business. There are 4/5 countries at the polls today so we'll have some idea of whether Ireland and the Netherlands have gone rogue later.

The Greens apparent success with potentially 3 seats may not change much quickly but with Dublin going green and also being the be all and end all of the economy the two big parties will have to react - we live in an issue led world as parties become less important.

Results of EU elections cannot be released until the polls have closed in all countries. For some reason the UK have interpreted this to mean that you can't even release an exit poll, even though that's clearly not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Blueshoe wrote: »
    FG and the Greens.

Well done everyone. We just kicked the misery up a gear for many.

Who did you vote for yourself?

Weren't you suggesting that our citizens are worse off than those of India and China earlier on in this thread?
    I think you need to gain some perspective.

The reality is housing and transport policy are key policies in sustainability and linked closely togwthe. The fact that they are not great or functioning at the moment needs a shakeup, but not a shakeup that entails electing some of the absolute off the wall candidates that were running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

On a dublin/local level , removal of parking spaces, congestion charging, low emissions zones...

On an EU level committing Ireland to emissions levels or renewable program targets that require penalties and taxation back here to meet

All already underway across Europe and Ireland before yesterday's vote.

No harm in any of the above anyway, our public and alternative transport facilities are woeful so need priority over single occupancy cars. But some "poor" motorists are full of self pity and entitlement they think the world is out to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Bambi wrote: »
    Public transport has never (and will never) ease anyone frustrations in this country. The car is king for a reason.

Tell that to the hundreds of thousands using the LUAS.
    Imagine there was no LUAS, how bad would the traffic be in Dublin now?

Well thought out and integrate public transport can and is a solution for many, but a complete mindset change has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Flying Fox wrote: »
    For some reason the UK have interpreted this to mean that you can't even release an exit poll

Tories trying to get one more day before the disaster hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,395 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Results of EU elections cannot be released until the polls have closed in all countries. For some reason the UK have interpreted this to mean that you can't even release an exit poll, even though that's clearly not the case.

Probably budget reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

I was under the impression that they did not do an exit poll in the UK, could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

kippy wrote: »
    Who did you vote for yourself?

Weren't you suggesting that our citizens are worse off than those of India and China earlier on in this thread?
    I think you need to gain some perspective.

The reality is housing and transport policy are key policies in sustainability and linked closely togwthe. The fact that they are not great or functioning at the moment needs a shakeup, but not a shakeup that entails electing some of the absolute off the wall candidates that were running.

No I said taxing us here in Ireland won't make any difference to how China and India continue their polluting ways. So you got that all wrong.

Housing, healthcare etc are issues that cannot be "fixed"

Black holes that require endless funding. Carbon taxation is incoming. Re introduction of water charges also.

Essentially we will all be paying more tax with no alternatives and nothing will change.
    Ireland 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bambi wrote: »

This is just so incredibly wrongheaded and such a denial of reality.

Where do you live? Connemara? What exactly is your experience or knowledge of public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

votecounts wrote: »
    I was under the impression that they did not do an exit poll in the UK, could be wrong.

Well they always do for General Elections anyway. Every election day, David Dimbleby used to give the exit poll prediction as Big Ben struck 10 behind him!

No I said taxing us here in Ireland won't make any difference to how China and India continue their polluting ways. So you got that all wrong.

Housing, healthcare etc are issues that cannot be "fixed"

Black holes that require endless funding. Carbon taxation is incoming. Re introduction of water charges also.

Essentially we will all be paying more tax with no alternatives and nothing will change.
    Ireland 101.

China is already outpacing the West in terms of green initiatives. The have reduced air borne particulates in their cities by near 40% in just the last 6 or so years.

lawred2 wrote: »
    This is just so incredibly wrongheaded and such a denial of reality.

Where do you live? Connemara? What exactly is your experience or knowledge of public transport?

They discussed on the radio yesterday that close to 120k people travel into Dublin by car everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

China is already outpacing the West in terms of green initiatives. The have reduced air borne particulates in their cities by near 40% in just the last 6 or so years.

Leaders in battery technology for electric cars in which European car manufacturers use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

robman60 wrote: »
    Well they always do for General Elections anyway. Every election day, David Dimbleby used to give the exit poll prediction as Big Ben struck 10 behind him!
    I mean specifically for this election

They discussed on the radio yesterday that close to 120k people travel into Dublin by car everyday.

Which is obviously disappointing but it's on the decrease every year. Even more than that travel on public transport into DCC on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,395 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Huge returns for the Greens in local elections too.

Need to dust off my Eamonn Ryan filter.

• Advertisement

Which is obviously disappointing but it's on the decrease every year. Even more than that travel on public transport into DCC on a daily basis.

I'm one of the 120k . No way is it decreasing. The tailbacks are starting further and further out.

We don't have the infrastructure to change. More importantly we don't have the political foresight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

And Dublin simply can't get bigger without better public transport services. It is not a big enough City center for 120k or whatever it is a day which is obvious going in every morning and getting stuck on the quays.

In any case while people may disagree with the exact iniatives the greens come up with but this will help bring the discussion forward. We have to have it. We know the planet is suffering (well the planet is fine, the environment will just be less ideal for humans to live in). Maybe we can get other parties offering green alternatives for people to vote for.

Hopefully if green parties do well across europe then EU wide iniatives can get enacted which have a bigger effect than simply Ireland.

I'm one of the 120k . No way is it decreasing. The tailbacks are starting further and further out.

We don't have the infrastructure to change. More importantly we don't have the political foresight either.

The proportion versus public transport is statistically falling.

But your anecdotal research trumps all.

Imagine how long your tailback would be if I and the thousands others took to our cars in the morning?

The proportion versus public transport is statistically falling.

But your anecdotal research trumps all.

Imagine how long your tailback would be if I and the thousands others took to our cars in the morning?

Why would people who live in Dublin drive out of the city to join the traffic coming back in?
    I'm talking about people who are traveling from outside the city

Why don't you get out of your car?

Or do you want more roads to improve your commute? It's well known that more roads just leads to more traffic to fill them.

Why don't you get out of your car?

Or do you want more roads to improve your commute? It's well known that more roads just leads to more traffic to fill them.

Walk from Meath?

Why would people who live in Dublin drive out of the city to join the traffic coming back in?
    I'm talking about people who are traveling from outside the city

I don't live in the city. I drive to a P&R for the train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Dunno how ppl could vote for fran Fitz after the DOJ debacle but there’s no talkin to some ppl

The debacle that turned out not to be a debacle after all?

Advertisement