Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Infastructure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

In fairness, most of the examples being given are new stadiums on a greenfield site which is obviously cheaper than demolition and rebuilding. Also a stand along the length of a GAA pitch is considerably longer than that on a soccer pitch. We also need to be sure we are comparing apples with apples. For example, those figures seem to be cost of construction, is €70m the overall development budget for PUC (including demolition, new stand and works to other stands plus second pitch, fit out and supply of FF&E for gym, catering areas, museum, etc.)? A contract for demolition only has been awarded, we will have to wait and see what value the construction contract will come in at and what is the scope of that contract (does it include fit out and FF&E).

The article is right in that the GAA needs to be getting better value for money for their overall capital investment across all facilities. What we need is a capital projects committee in Croke Park who oversee these projects, approve budgets, scale back if needed and ensure value for money. Laois have just lost money selling land they bought which wasn’t even suitable, Croke Park need to be reviewing and approving these types of purchases because ultimately they will pick up the tab for these decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

If people go to games for the "experience" then they should stick to the "Aviva" with the loud music and bellowing announcer.

Hopefully the GAA never go down this route. I go to games to see the games, not to eat hot dogs or drink pints or other ****e.
    What is wrong with being able to go a game where you can watch the game in a comfortable seat/decent quality terrace with decent facilities to get a drink/some food etc. People do go for the games but that doesnt mean they should expect **** facilities elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

McKenna has written some tripe before but agree with almost every word of that article. The point about Castlebar is a very pertinent one. €16m for a stand being held up by huge pillars in this day and age..idiotic.

The debate on Páirc uí Chaíomh, such as it is, is being clouded by parochial "Cork needs a major stadium" viewpoints..which to my mind obscure the farcical lack of planning and rel development of the project. As McKenna states, they are saying the project includes a "centre of excellence", when the reality is they are throwing down 1 pitch outside the stadium with a clubhouse next to it. Calling that a centre of excellence is fairly ludicrous.

As I posted on this thread before, it's no good arguing about the amount of stadia already in existence. If we were starting from scratch would it be value for money or good planning to have large stadia in Killarney, Cork, Limerick AND Thurles within Munster for example...No, definitely not. However, they are there now and are not going to be demolished. What CAN be said though, is that unreasonable expenditure on any venue should be questioned and scrutinised. The Gaelic Grounds and Semple Stadium "redevelopments" mentioned in the article for example.

With the proposed developments in Belfast (although running into planning problems), Cork and I believe Ennis in the pipeline, it really is worthwhile analysing all future projects to make sure they are A)Totally necessary and reasonable and B)Cost effective.
    I'd love to see/hear a breakdown of where exactly the €70m is going for the Cork project, because as McKenna mentions, there is basically 1 brand new stand being built and a bit of re-modelling to the other 3 stands/terraces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is there any gaa stadium that is all seated from the top of my head I can't think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is there any gaa stadium that is all seated from the top of my head I can't think of any.

As the article stated Mayo will laughably claim there's is if you count backless concrete slabs as seats.

As someone already pointed a new stand in the 21st century with pillars, PILLARS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

iDave wrote: »
    As the article stated Mayo will laughably claim there's is if you count backless concrete slabs as seats.

As someone already pointed a new stand in the 21st century with pillars, PILLARS!!!

Whatever about pillars. I'm more surprised that in this day and age concrete slabs still count as "seats"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Have heard from a few different people that the Pairc Ui Chaoimh project is looking like it will end up significantly over budget - heard talk that it's looking that it will end up closer to the €80m mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

If people go to games for the "experience" then they should stick to the "Aviva" with the loud music and bellowing announcer.

Hopefully the GAA never go down this route. I go to games to see the games, not to eat hot dogs or drink pints or other ****e.

They've already gone down this route in CP. The stadium announcements can be deafening at times. At half time/between games there's always some class of entertainment accompanied by said announcer blowing the ears off you whether you want it or not. I wonder sometimes is it done on purpose to drive the punters out of their seats and to the shops/bars in the stands.
    The one facet in which they haven't aped the Aviva is pints in your seats. If that ever comes in, I'll be staying at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Pete_Cavan wrote:
    The article is right in that the GAA needs to be getting better value for money for their overall capital investment across all facilities. What we need is a capital projects committee in Croke Park who oversee these projects, approve budgets, scale back if needed and ensure value for money

This is a very wise suggestion and there are people in the GAA "family" who know both value of a Euro and the cost of construction.

citykat wrote: »
    They've already gone down this route in CP. The stadium announcements can be deafening at times. At half time/between games there's always some class of entertainment accompanied by said announcer blowing the ears off you whether you want it or not. I wonder sometimes is it done on purpose to drive the punters out of their seats and to the shops/bars in the stands.

I couldn't agree more, the noise of the announcements in Croke Park can be odious and is completely and absolutely unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

McKenna discussed safety in his article and in particular mentioned Croke Park. Whatever about inside the ground, after the drawn hurling AI last year I found the experience outside the ground on Jones Rd. to be appalling. Not knowing what I was letting myself in for, I tried to go down the road towards Clonliffe to get to just off Ballybough Rd. where I had parked. At the junction of Jones Road and Clonliffe there was what I can only describe as mayhem with people converging from all corners and nobody moving. What ensured was a scrum with people getting irate with one another and the Gardai. The Gardai then started stopping people from exiting the Hogan Stand on the south side presumably to ‘let the crowd off’ which only inflamed matters.
    From that programme on Croke Park last year, it was highlighted how the Gardai monitor crowds on match days. Hopefully they’ll review and learn from that day. It was a very uncomfortable (and potentially dangerous) experience for an adult. I can only imagine what it would be like for a child.

The U-21 all Ireland final next weekend is moved from Navan to Parnell Park due to "remedial works" being required in Pairc Tailteann.

You'd have to wonder why PT is suddenly deemed unsafe now while only a few weeks ago it hosted a large crowd for the league match against Cavan. It would make you wonder if there is something that we are not being told about the place.

And will this affect Meath's first home match in the Leinster championship in 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭threeball

Hibbeler wrote: »
    The U-21 all Ireland final next weekend is moved from Navan to Parnell Park due to "remedial works" being required in Pairc Tailteann.

You'd have to wonder why PT is suddenly deemed unsafe now while only a few weeks ago it hosted a large crowd for the league match against Cavan. It would make you wonder if there is something that we are not being told about the place.

And will this affect Meath's first home match in the Leinster championship in 20 years

Won't be long now til they want to throw up a 30,000 "all seater" just to keep up with the Joneses. Leitrim with a population of 32,000 will also want one soon after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The system of fixture allocation is biased towards putting matches on in grounds that are capable of hosting the crowd that wants to attend. This is largely laudable but by definition it incentives the building of larger stadiums otherwise you don't get home games in the Championship, or may go many years without such.

Only if the GAA come up with official minimum capacity sizes and standards (set in stone for say 30 years) and guarantee that you will be allowed host the match if you meet the capacity in a safe well appointed environment - only then will counties be willing to invest in sensible smaller stadiums.

I'd have in mind something like 10,000 up to provincial quarter final and first 2 rounds of qualifers, 15K or 20K for up to provincial semifinal and third round of qualifiers, 25K for final round of qualifiers and to be on a potential provincial final rota.
    And if the first round draw comes up Louth v Dublin then as long as Louth have the 10K stadium then they get to host. That 35,000 from Dublin want to go needn't be a factor.

Ultimately imo you can't really blame the counties for overbuilding under the current system.

The system of fixture allocation is biased towards putting matches on in grounds that are capable of hosting the crowd that wants to attend. This is largely laudable but by definition it incentives the building of larger stadiums otherwise you don't get home games in the Championship, or may go many years without such.

Only if the GAA come up with official minimum capacity sizes and standards (set in stone for say 30 years) and guarantee that you will be allowed host the match if you meet the capacity in a safe well appointed environment - only then will counties be willing to invest in sensible smaller stadiums.

I'd have in mind something like 10,000 up to provincial quarter final and first 2 rounds of qualifers, 15K or 20K for up to provincial semifinal and third round of qualifiers, 25K for final round of qualifiers and to be on a potential provincial final rota.
    And if the first round draw comes up Louth v Dublin then as long as Louth have the 10K stadium then they get to host. That 35,000 from Dublin want to go needn't be a factor.

Ultimately imo you can't really blame the counties for overbuilding under the current system.

It was for this reason that I suggested centralising a high quality stadium within a province and playing all championship games that warrant it in that venue with smaller games in the high quality 10,000 seater stadiums designed mainly to accommodate league matches. You may not want to go back and demolish existing white elephants but you can certainly stop the madness of Cork, Ennis, Mullingar, Casement and the others that will follow.

New Offaly Centre of Excellence;

http://www.the42.ie/offaly-gaa-centre-of-excellence-kilcormac-2105849-May2015/

11011090_868509743212352_1983929108831801350_n.jpg?oh=edca976b79bc65dbded6634cd9dd7072&oe=55CD1992&__gda__=1442983830_7682cd666f4f8000c2df8f45ff5ddb13

20022_868509759879017_878771896909491333_n.png?oh=5c6410f876bddf183f9f5f662e2a0a86&oe=55C3B07B

999-year lease for €1 per year, cant argue about value for money there.

Interesting that the article also mentions Laois Centre of Excellence is that to be developed at the old Portlaoise GAA grounds next to O'Moore Park? If so will be interesting to see what they plan to do there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The lads down in Cork might take note of the 4 pitches in that centre of excellence. Fair play to Offaly, that looks like a solid design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The lads down in Cork might take note of the 4 pitches in that centre of excellence. Fair play to Offaly, that looks like a solid design.

No ball wall!
    For a county with a proud hurling tradition and with Banagher Concrete in the county supplying them.

no small viewing stand so club games and inter county games can be hosted. Even if it was a stage 2 or stage 3 in the development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Looks nice and all but is it just a training centre for offaly teams? Would money not be better spent on doing up a few existing clubs and using them for training on? It looks basically like a club without a bar and no proper viewing areas. What counties already have these centers of excellence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Always thought "Centres of Excellence" was a funny name for them, since they're the exact same as a normal club grounds, only its the county board that owns them. It's not like anything particularly excellent goes on in them. "Training Centre" would be more appropriate title.

Also I'd say most counties have them at this stage. Meath, Louth, Kildare, Monaghan, Tyrone, Derry, Carlow, and Mayo do at the very least.

In typical Galway fashion they reckoned they needed 2, one for hurling and one for football. The football centre was built and completed in Loughgeorge near Claregalway. The site was bought for a hurling one for several million, as the costs spiralled the project was abandoned, resulting in a loss of about €3 Million for Galway CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Clare has one as well just outside Tulla

• Advertisement

Kerry at it this time;

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/kerry-get-massive-international-backing-for-centre-of-excellence/

Currans-GAA-Training-Facility-site-plan-680x447.jpg?d84f70

Seems a bit OTT to be honest, do they really need to have two gyms and seven pitches across two locations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Kerry at it this time;

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/kerry-get-massive-international-backing-for-centre-of-excellence/

Seems a bit OTT to be honest, do they really need to have two gyms and seven pitches across two locations?

What 2 gyms are you on about? There is no gym at the site pictured in your post.
    All Indoor facilities are at IT Tralee, where the new Kerry Sports Academy is being built and several organisations will have the use of all indoor facilities.

Just as a matter of interest, what would you consider adequate facilities to allow upwards of 20 teams to train/play 12 months a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Kerry at it this time;

At what exactly?
    Why do they not need all those pitches considering all their county teams etc and these allow training/development on a full time basis
    What 2 gyms are you on about? There is no gym at the site pictured in your post.
    All Indoor facilities are at IT Tralee, where the new Kerry Sports Academy is being built and several organisations will have the use of all indoor facilities.

Just as a matter of interest, what would you consider adequate facilities to allow upwards of 20 teams to train/play 12 months a year?
    Read the link and I assume the gym is part of clubhouse in the pic above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Kerry must be awash with money. Nice big training facilities in the works, and already have 2 fairly good county grounds. Funny that their secondary ground is still better than our main one.

Armaghs ground being used now in the Donegal Armagh game is the perfect example of everythinga county ground should be. Reasonably sized, nice close stands, well appointed terraces and a quality playing surface. If more counties had grounds like this our games would be played in a fantastic atmosphere no matter what stage of the year it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

threeball wrote: »
    Armaghs ground being used now in the Donegal Armagh game is the perfect example of everythinga county ground should be. Reasonably sized, nice close stands, well appointed terraces and a quality playing surface. If more counties had grounds like this our games would be played in a fantastic atmosphere no matter what stage of the year it was.

Thanks for that - if only we could get a team to match!! :rolleyes:

I am biased, but I genuinely believe that our ground is the best in Ireland at the 15,000 - 20,000 capacity bracket.

What is the capacity in Armagh? It looked really good on TV with a full crowd and I'm sure the atmosphere was really good as well (right up until the match that is :pac:).

Makes me wish that the Meath vs Westmeath Leinster semi final was set for somewhere like Tullamore rather than atmosphereless Croke Park before a Dublin game

Hibbeler wrote: »
    What is the capacity in Armagh? It looked really good on TV with a full crowd and I'm sure the atmosphere was really good as well (right up until the match that is :pac:).

Makes me wish that the Meath vs Westmeath Leinster semi final was set for somewhere like Tullamore rather than atmosphereless Croke Park before a Dublin game

Capacity is listed as 19,500 with 5,700 seats. However for some reason when it comes to matches like yesterday there is a couple of thousand less tickets, i.e. it's given a capacity of around 17,000.

Capacity is listed as 19,500 with 5,700 seats. However for some reason when it comes to matches like yesterday there is a couple of thousand less tickets, i.e. it's given a capacity of around 17,000.

They built that for under 5 million when we have 10's of millions being squandered on white elephant mickey swinging contests up and down the country. If the stands on both sides matched it would be the perfect ground.
    Its listed as holding 16,500 which is perfect for the bigger counties and possibly too big for most. Beautiful development.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Think the official attendance was 18,200 in Armagh yesterday, lovely ground. Most of the grounds in Ulster are fairly perfectly sized. Usually get pretty near a full house for a decent game in Omagh, Derry, Ballybofey and Armagh.

• Advertisement

The Queen is great for funding

you don't hear too many of them complaining about that

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The Queen is great for funding

you don't hear too many of them complaining about that

:D

Real coincidence that - I've heard Liz thinks that many of the Gaels up here are equally great for funding - goes under the name of 'income tax'........if you take my meaning! ;)

How much does Downing street put into the North every year to prop up the economy?

There is a huge level of grants for sports facilities in the north compared to the republic

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    How much does Downing street put into the North every year to prop up the economy?

There is a huge level of grants for sports facilities in the north compared to the republic

Ha ha!! :D

This thread getting ever so slightly sidetracked?

Don't worry petal - I'm sure the midlands has some lovely grounds as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

so.... There was/ are plans for a larger replacement for Parnell Park. Very under the radar this (probably not a secret, but never heard it mentioned till now)
    Dublin GAA has suffered a major setback, arising from its failed attempt to acquire the landmark Spawell Complex on the city's southside.

The county board launched a concerted effort to acquire the NAMA-controlled 35-acre property in Templeogue but lost out in a bidding war.
    "We are extremely disappointed that our bid was unsuccessful," said Dublin CEO John Costello.

"We considered that the Dublin GAA proposal for the construction of five grass and synthetic playing pitches and complementary facilities represented the best outcome for NAMA and the tax-payer, involving as it would, significant benefits to the community in terms of participation in sport, health and fitness and the economy generally."
    <snip>
    As well as providing several pitches, the site would also have been suitable for a stadium, in line with Dublin's 2011-17 strategic plan.
    It envisaged the construction of a mid-sized facility, capable of accommodating around 25,000 spectators.
    The Spawell Complex is located very close to the M50 motorway, making it an ideal location for Dublin county board's plans.
    There is easy access to the site, which would have been a major advantage if a stadium were built there.
    full article
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/spawell-rejection-a-major-setback-for-dublin-31311142.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

read that article about the spawell complex this morning. I live reasonably close and it is a massive site with pretty good accessibility. It might have suited very well as it would be hard to get a land bank that big in Dublin that has good accessibility. Im torn about building a new stadium though, it would be great to have an appropriate sized stadium for league games but I'm not sure how much it would be needed from a Dublin point of view a handful of league games a year for the footballers and hurlers plus maybe one or two championship matches for the hurlers. I know underage teams can use it too but it seems like a lot of money would be spent on the stadium part.

salmocab wrote: »
    read that article about the spawell complex this morning. I live reasonably close and it is a massive site with pretty good accessibility. It might have suited very well as it would be hard to get a land bank that big in Dublin that has good accessibility. Im torn about building a new stadium though, it would be great to have an appropriate sized stadium for league games but I'm not sure how much it would be needed from a Dublin point of view a handful of league games a year for the footballers and hurlers plus maybe one or two championship matches for the hurlers. I know underage teams can use it too but it seems like a lot of money would be spent on the stadium part.
    the only thing might be that they could finance it by offloading Parnell park for residental re-development seeing as it'd likely be surplus to requirements.

theres no mention of it but something like that would make sense seeing as they'd be playing very few high profile games in Parnell park if their second stadium becomes a 25,000 capacity southside stadium complimented by Croke park on the northside.

in my eyes whats needed is a joint effort between Kildare and Dublin (if not meath too) for a proper state of the art 25,000 seater between them - but that doesnt seem to be on the cards.

in my eyes whats needed is a joint effort between Kildare and Dublin (if not meath too) for a proper state of the art 25,000 seater between them - but that doesnt seem to be on the cards.

How would income be split e.g., naming rights, pitchside advertising etc. Clearly a 3way split would be biased against Dublin yet anything other than a 3way split would imply that Meath/Kildare are inferiors in this ground share.

Exactly. As I have said before, in Armagh the stand and covered terrace provide covered accommodation for league games and the like (which could have a substantial crowd if neighbours were involved) while the inexpensive uncovered terraces at the end provide additional capacity for the occasional bigger game. They did a great job on a very restricted site.

Whatever the attendance was on Sunday last there wasn't much room left without overcrowding, so they seem to have got the numbers about right.

• Advertisement

How would income be split e.g., naming rights, pitchside advertising etc. Clearly a 3way split would be biased against Dublin yet anything other than a 3way split would imply that Meath/Kildare are inferiors in this ground share.
    firstly you have a 20 or 30 million euro stadium. You are not making a profit any time soon out of the stadium.
    So, the naming rights would go to pay for the stadium and not the coffers of any county board in a split use arrangement.
    Pitchside advertising might be sold on the tripple, but again theres a massive debt to be paid back so the cash goes into the stadium holding company.
    Same for boxes, whether they are sold once or per county, the cash goes to pay the debt.

when the debt is paid, you start getting into the question of who pays what, but you'd simply have the counties paying a "rent" or % of the gate as a contribution to upkeep.

It wouldnt be the first stadium in the world to have shared use or ownership.

firstly you have a 20 or 30 million euro stadium. You are not making a profit any time soon out of the stadium.
    So, the naming rights would go to pay for the stadium and not the coffers of any county board in a split use arrangement.
    Pitchside advertising might be sold on the tripple, but again theres a massive debt to be paid back so the cash goes into the stadium holding company.
    Same for boxes, whether they are sold once or per county, the cash goes to pay the debt.

when the debt is paid, you start getting into the question of who pays what, but you'd simply have the counties paying a "rent" or % of the gate as a contribution to upkeep.

You couldn't have 3 counties owning the stadium even from a games logistics standpoint. For league games you would end up with Dublin Footballers, Dublin Hurlers, Meath footballers, Kildare Footballers all looking to play games there on the same weekends which no pitch would stand up to. Not to mention that fact that most Kildare and Meath games outside of the championship would have tumbleweeds blowing through the stands of a 25,000 seater stadium.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Whatever the attendance was on Sunday last........

That is definitely the biggest attendance since the AG redevelopment was completed.

That is definitely the biggest attendance since the AG redevelopment was completed.

If the team doesn't put up a better fight there won't be as many again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Now if it was a 25-30K indoor stadium like the one planned for DCU...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dcu-plans-10000-capacity-indoor-gaa-stadium-78621.html

Now if it was a 25-30K indoor stadium like the one planned for DCU...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dcu-plans-10000-capacity-indoor-gaa-stadium-78621.html

2008 is a while ago and I don't recall this stadium being built.

• Advertisement

You couldn't have 3 counties owning the stadium even from a games logistics standpoint. For league games you would end up with Dublin Footballers, Dublin Hurlers, Meath footballers, Kildare Footballers all looking to play games there on the same weekends which no pitch would stand up to. Not to mention that fact that most Kildare and Meath games outside of the championship would have tumbleweeds blowing through the stands of a 25,000 seater stadium.
    firstly, you're forgetting that croke park still exists so bigger Dublin games or double headers will still happen there.
    Hurling and football happen on different weekends, and hurling in Meath and Kildare is something suited to the 2nd or 3rd stadium in the county, so would not be in the newer stadium.
    You can make a case that the stadium would be overran with games, but in reality its manageable.
    Croke park has sometimes 2 double headers on the same day, so to have a single game in the new stadium on 2 consecutive days is not too ambitioius.

Regarding it being empty for games outside of the championship, it wouldnt be too bad.
    Thomond park is a good example of how to do a stadium of this size for Ireland. Its 25000 capacity. 15000 seated in covered stands and 10,000 on the open terraces.
    So if you got between 5 and 10 thousand for a Kildare or Meath league game, thats the stands half or 2/3 full and behind the goal empty. Looks wise, you can see below that away from the centre the seats are multicoloured so it doesnt look too empty even when it is.

300px-Thomond_Park.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

the only thing might be that they could finance it by offloading Parnell park for residental re-development seeing as it'd likely be surplus to requirements.

theres no mention of it but something like that would make sense seeing as they'd be playing very few high profile games in Parnell park if their second stadium becomes a 25,000 capacity southside stadium complimented by Croke park on the northside.

Abbottstown, where Bertie planned the National Stadium would be an ideal site for a 25,000 capacity stadium, very near to Meath being on the border and not too far from Kildare.

ardmacha wrote: »
    If the team doesn't put up a better fight there won't be as many again...

Look on the bright side - the Donegal ones will fill it!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

You're not going to get any crowd at 'home' league games for Kildare or Meath in some souless stadium up in Dublin. Kildare moved three league games to Croke Park in recent years: Tyrone in 2012, Donegal and Dublin in 2013. There was a very poor Kildare following at the three of those fixtures and they were at a time when the Kildare team was going well in the league.

If Dublin County Board went ahead and built a new stadium on the M50 it would be to replace Parnell Park. It's not going to be a replacement for Newbridge or Navan no matter how run down they are.

Sounds ill thought out to be honest - the bulk of the income from the likes of naming rights is coming in because of the presence of Dublin, not the other two counties. So you really can't wait until the debt has been paid (by Dublins marketing power) to decide who pays what or owns what.
    Your plan is basically Dublin subsidising other counties to give them a nice 25K ground, I cant see that being acceptable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement