Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Infastructure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

threeball wrote: »
    Or even a 25k stadium. Its obvious it wasn't needed. Building a stadium to cater for the once in a blue moon event is the way things are done. Lads are denying its happening here yet its still going on. Cork shouldn't even have built a 20k stadium in my opinion given the use it gets. 90 million pissed away and a county that's struggling to get back to the top table in hurling never mind football. Absolutely nuts.

There is no divine right for every fair weather supporter to get a ticket for big matches. It would generate more interest and revenue if there was a scarcity mindset and people actually had to plan to get tickets rather than rocking up on the day on a whim. Meath building 20k is another waste of money. When has there ever been 20k at a meath league game. 10k is more than big enough. Kildare too.

PUC isn't relevant elsewhere because nowhere else will an entirely new stadium but built, CBs will have to work with whats there. The only major construction works to happen in the next couple of years are new 3-4k stands for Meath, Kildare and Waterford and they will only proceed due to substantial subsidies from the taxpayer. Again, terraces provide the bulk of capacity but nobody has the money to knock an existing terrace and build a smaller one, that costs more money than just leaving the existing one.

You need to get over your obsession with capacity. You mentioned CP in Ennis earlier and their boom time plans to build a 40k stadium which were never realistic. What has actually happen since is they redeveloped the main stand for €2.5m. They now have a decent 19k capacity stadium. Is that capacity too high; possibly - does that matter; no, the bulk of capacity cost next to nothing as it was being provided by existing terraces. They still have that capacity and also have a decent main stand with proper facilities at low cost. Your Doncaster suggestion would cost at least ten times the price, that is just not feasible. Most counties can do similar and provide reasonably good facilities at relatively low cost by working with what they have, that is the future for CBs.

Everyone know that Meath will be lucky to build one new stand at PT. After that, they might add small terraces behind the goals at some point in the future to replace the unusable grass banks but thats about all that will happen. Meath CB seem to be the only ones who think a 20k stadium with all new stands is realistic. Some stands like those in PT, St Conleths, etc need to be replaced to provide proper facilities for players and fans but once the main stand is of a certain standard, there just isn't going to be the money to built more new stands at any ground.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'll be shocked if the same thing doesn't end up happening with Casement in the North - it's a complete mess already and there are clearly people on the Ulster Council who want capacity as big as possible no matter what.

From last years Annual Report
    The reformation of the Northern Executive has already put Casement Park back in the spotlight as it awaits a grant of planning permission. With inevitable increases in this stadium’s construction cost base, the Association’s ability to meet this project's financial demands will require further debate on the use of our finite resources.

Looks to me like the top brass know Casement isn't going to go ahead and they won't be allowing another PUC situation to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I'd say a lot of those projects will be pushed out a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Take it from someone who knows how hard this will hit the Development of Cork GAA.

Don’t waste your time.

If anything get basics right. Few extra decent pitches and good facilities for players and work from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

Casement gets the go ahead. Another white elephant and mill stone round the GAA's neck. Absolutely banana that they would commit funds to this project. When was the last time there was 30k at an Antrim GAA match never mind building a stadium that will be used even less than PUC. At least other counties don't mind playing in PUC, nobody in Ulster wants to travel to Belfast for a game. The last place didn't go to rack and ruin because it was overused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Casement gets the go ahead. Another white elephant and mill stone round the GAA's neck. Absolutely banana that they would commit funds to this project. When was the last time there was 30k at an Antrim GAA match never mind building a stadium that will be used even less than PUC. At least other counties don't mind playing in PUC, nobody in Ulster wants to travel to Belfast for a game. The last place didn't go to rack and ruin because it was overused.

Luckily enough the hierarchy in our organisation realise that the GAA is for all its members and not just the elite and the big traditional counties in the 26 counties. Pumping money into existing powerhouses while ignoring others achieves nothing only a tiered and divided organisation.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Luckily enough the hierarchy in our organisation realise that the GAA is for all its members and not just the elite and the big traditional counties in the 26 counties. Pumping money into existing powerhouses while ignoring others achieves nothing only a tiered and divided organisation.

So the hierarchy in their wisdom are just as capable of pissing money up against the wall in the 6 counties as they are in the 26 is what you're saying.

Despite comments from Horan yesterday, I don't think the GAA are interested in having a big stadium in Belfast and the costs involved after what happened with PUC. Last years Annual Report, under Capital Investment & Grants;
    The 2019 numbers continue to show the 15 year write down of our
    €20m investment in Páirc Uí Chaoimh. As mentioned in more detail in the Ard Stiúrthóir’s report, Páirc Uí Chaoimh’s completion presents a significant financial risk for the Association. Built significantly over budget and with current bank borrowings of €21.5m, the repayment of this loan will prove challenging for the Cork County Committee and its stadium companies.

This new loan support funding currently stands at €10.5m and is fully repayable by Cork. Combined with the above referenced bank borrowings, both loans total €32m and repayment of loans at this level is unsustainable by any county without some very hard and what may seem unpalatable measures, having to be put in place.

The reformation of the Northern Executive has already put Casement Park back in the spotlight as it awaits a grant of planning permission. With inevitable increases in this stadium’s construction cost base, the Association’s ability to meet this project's financial demands will require further debate on the use of our finite resources.

That was before yesterdays announcement and before Covid hit the fan. I'd say the GAA would be quite happy for the Casement project to quietly disappear as they don't want that millstone around their neck as well. I can't see Casement going ahead anyway, yesterday's announcement is meaningless really, costs nothing to say you support a project but it will be very different when time comes to write the big cheque.

The GAA would be better off building a new main stand at St Tiernachs Park, similar to that planned at St Conleths.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Despite comments from Horan yesterday, I don't think the GAA are interested in having a big stadium in Belfast and the costs involved after what happened with PUC. Last years Annual Report, under Capital Investment & Grants;

That was before yesterdays announcement and before Covid hit the fan. I'd say the GAA would be quite happy for the Casement project to quietly disappear as they don't want that millstone around their neck as well. I can't see Casement going ahead anyway, yesterday's announcement is meaningless really, costs nothing to say you support a project but it will be very different when time comes to write the big cheque.

The GAA would be better off building a new main stand at St Tiernachs Park, similar to that planned at St Conleths.

I hope it never gets off the ground. Its not just the build costs of these places, the upkeep is absolutely crippling too. If anyone were to do an ROI analysis of these stadiums they'd point anyone who sanctioned them towards the funny farm.

As you say, upgrade Clones and throw 2 or 3 million in to match the NI executive and let Antrim build a nice small ground similar to the athletic grounds in Armagh.

• Advertisement

So the hierarchy in their wisdom are just as capable of pissing money up against the wall in the 6 counties as they are in the 26 is what you're saying.

It's a 32 county organisation so yes that is exactly what I am saying! Has a cost-benefit analysis been done on all the stadia in the 26 counties that haven't been filled in the last 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The plans for Casement look great but at the moment I don't see how they are affordable without significant alteration. Someone has to find another €36 million in order to get that stadium design built. That issue needs to be addressed before people start getting too excited.

grbear wrote: »
    The plans for Casement look great but at the moment I don't see how they are affordable without significant alteration. Someone has to find another €36 million in order to get that stadium design built. That issue needs to be addressed before people start getting too excited.

I'm pretty sure the NI assembly have financial obligations to projects like this under the GFA - not that they have a pot to pi*s in either!!

It's a 32 county organisation so yes that is exactly what I am saying! Has a cost-benefit analysis been done on all the stadia in the 26 counties that haven't been filled in the last 20 years?

So you'd like to see an organisation that pushes itself to the edge of financial collapse just so they can throw up another monument. Just repeat all the mistakes of PUC and other pointless stadia just so everyone can have a white elephant. Very intelligent plan you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm pretty sure the NI assembly have financial obligations to projects like this under the GFA - not that they have a pot to pi*s in either!!

They've committed £62 million to it at the moment. If they were to meet the GAA halfway on the remainder and up that to £77 million in total then I don't think you'd have to be a member of the TUV to start questioning if thats the best use of limited resources. The plan is a bit of a Field of Dreams, build it and they will come type job. At the moment it's hard to imagine Casement holding multiple games per year with a 10,000+ attendance. There'd be the Ulster final and that'd be about it.

A lot of the problem with Casement is the site itself; its confined nature creates problems and pushes up costs, it is also not suitable for having tens of thousands of people descend on it for matches. The chances of this stadium being built were always very slim, for multiple reasons. They should have looked for a different site and either sold Casement for development or created a pitch for local clubs and community facilities there. The dream of the stadium hosting games at the RWC23 is long gone but even then the cost of building a fancy 30k+ stadium with lots of corporate facilities was highly questionable. Antrim GAA need a facility designed around their needs, not a once a year game. For the GAA, spending €6 - 7m on a new main stand in Clones would be far better value than throwing €30m at the Casement white elephant.

• Advertisement

So you'd like to see an organisation that pushes itself to the edge of financial collapse just so they can throw up another monument. Just repeat all the mistakes of PUC and other pointless stadia just so everyone can have a white elephant. Very intelligent plan you have there.

To be fair I may have misinterpreted your original post that I quotes, I mistakenly thought that you were suggesting it was a waste because it was located in Antrim.

I actually agree with you that we have far far too many large stadia that for the most part go unused. I personally think that each county should have a 20-25k stadium and have one 45-50k stadium in each province that is owned by the provincial council - the reason that most counties want the big stadium is to make sure that another county doesn't get all the big games and gate receipts.

Look at Munster alone - Killarney, Gaelic Grounds, Parc de Frank and Semple Stadium - in any given year one at the most will be filled.

To be fair I may have misinterpreted your original post that I quotes, I mistakenly thought that you were suggesting it was a waste because it was located in Antrim.

I actually agree with you that we have far far too many large stadia that for the most part go unused. I personally think that each county should have a 20-25k stadium and have one 45-50k stadium in each province that is owned by the provincial council - the reason that most counties want the big stadium is to make sure that another county doesn't get all the big games and gate receipts.

Look at Munster alone - Killarney, Gaelic Grounds, Parc de Frank and Semple Stadium - in any given year one at the most will be filled.

Yes that was the crux of my argument. I'm of the same belief as you, one central 40-45k stadium to Croke park specs and standards in each province and I think counties should really not be looking to develop anything over 10-15k as they're a waste of money. Small stadia to a high standard suitable for club and county is far preferable to empty monoliths which give atmosphere to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Nothing pointless about the likes of PUC, badly needed to accomodate Cork hurling massive support base.

Nothing pointless about the likes of PUC, badly needed to accomodate Cork hurling massive support base.

Tell me, how many times was PUC filled or even 75% filled since it opened?

Tell me, how many times was PUC filled or even 75% filled since it opened?

There was 30k + at the first group game v Tipp last yr. Same the yr before for Limerick. Any home Munster hurling final will be a complete sell out. Clare/Waterford expect ~20k Even the footballers going well will see Kerry every 2nd yr and 1 super 8 home match ~ 20k odd . All this for a "pointless" stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The sheer amount of money that PUC cost is what's pointless and still managed to have no roof on it.

PUC needed the upgrade but it didn't need to waste so much money on what we got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well thats exactly why i think it's a waste

Massive contradiction there in fairness. If there were to be a few 45k in strategic locations then there would be little need of 25k ones. 15/18k for the bigger counties maybe but for the smaller counties 10k would certainly be enough. I stand to be corrected but i think that outside of Dublin, only Mayo has drawn a 15k+ crowd for an NFL game

There was 30k + at the first group game v Tipp last yr. Same the yr before for Limerick. Any home Munster hurling final will be a complete sell out. Clare/Waterford expect ~20k Even the footballers going well will see Kerry every 2nd yr and 1 super 8 home match ~ 20k odd . All this for a "pointless" stadium.

So one game every year at 60% capacity and the odd one at 40% capacity is worth €110m in your world. No wonder the Cork finances are fcuked. You haven't a hurling or a football team in the top 6 at the moment yet 110m was better spent on a vanity project. How about they built 25k for the people that actually come rather than the imaginary 20k that never show up and save 50 million.

Massive contradiction there in fairness. If there were to be a few 45k in strategic locations then there would be little need of 25k ones. 15/18k for the bigger counties maybe but for the smaller counties 10k would certainly be enough. I stand to be corrected but i think that outside of Dublin, only Mayo has drawn a 15k+ crowd for an NFL game

This thing gets trotted out every so often in this thread but it makes absolutely no sense. It would be more expensive demolishing terraces and then building smaller ones. Leaving existing terraces in place costs little or nothing, even if someone says the capacity is "too much". The focus should be on providing good facilities, not some preconceived capacity.

The 45k "mini Croke Parks" which is often touted would also cost a fortune. Munster already has multiple large stadiums, PUC is brand new but makes no sense to send every big game there, the current set up works well enough. Building a mini CP in Connacht would likely cost >€50m, putting €10m each into McHale and Pearse would be better value. Clones is the home of the Ulster final, it just needs a new main stand. We don't need to build new stadiums, just have sensible investment in existing.

This thing gets trotted out every so often in this thread but it makes absolutely no sense. It would be more expensive demolishing terraces and then building smaller ones. Leaving existing terraces in place costs little or nothing, even if someone says the capacity is "too much". The focus should be on providing good facilities, not some preconceived capacity.

The 45k "mini Croke Parks" which is often touted would also cost a fortune. Munster already has multiple large stadiums, PUC is brand new but makes no sense to send every big game there, the current set up works well enough. Building a mini CP in Connacht would likely cost >€50m, putting €10m each into McHale and Pearse would be better value. Clones is the home of the Ulster final, it just needs a new main stand. We don't need to build new stadiums, just have sensible investment in existing.

No one is suggesting tearing down existing stadia but as they come up for refurbishment they should be refurbished to a decent size that lends atmosphere to league and club games. Some counties such as Gslway should sell their stadium at a massive profit and build a more compact stadium with better facilities and location.
    There's more to stadia than just their upfront cost, upkeep is the real cost and big stadia costs more to keep. Lots of big stadia cost a hell of a lot to keep.

So one game every year at 60% capacity and the odd one at 40% capacity is worth €110m in your world. No wonder the Cork finances are fcuked. You haven't a hurling or a football team in the top 6 at the moment yet 110m was better spent on a vanity project. How about they built 25k for the people that actually come rather than the imaginary 20k that never show up and save 50 million.

A 25 k stadium LOL
    And where exactly would Cork play Tipp/Lim, Munster hurling finals, Kerry football matches?
    Where not talking the likes of Galway footballers here with a relatively small support base. Cork hurlers brought 40k + up to an All Ire semi with 2 yrs ago.

A 25 k stadium LOL
    And where exactly would Cork play Tipp/Lim, Munster hurling finals, Kerry football matches?
    Where not talking the likes of Galway footballers here with a relatively small support base. Cork hurlers brought 40k + up to an All Ire semi with 2 yrs ago.

The only thing lol is your overinflated sense of importance and the figures you throw about. 3yrs in and you haven't filled your own stadium yet. If you're only reaching an AISF once a decade its no wonder a crowd shows up

The only thing lol is your overinflated sense of importance and the figures you throw about. 3yrs in and you haven't filled your own stadium yet. If you're only reaching an AISF once a decade its no wonder a crowd shows up

:D Typical snowflake Galway football type. Don't like it up 'em.

:D Typical snowflake Galway football type. Don't like it up 'em.

Cork aren't fit to put it up to anyone at the moment.

No one is suggesting tearing down existing stadia but as they come up for refurbishment they should be refurbished to a decent size that lends atmosphere to league and club games. Some counties such as Gslway should sell their stadium at a massive profit and build a more compact stadium with better facilities and location.
    There's more to stadia than just their upfront cost, upkeep is the real cost and big stadia costs more to keep. Lots of big stadia cost a hell of a lot to keep.

In most county grounds, 80% or more of capacity is provided by concrete terraces which last a very long time and have little maintenance costs. If need to you can break out concrete and pour new, to reduce capacity you would need to demolish and rebuild which would cost more for no benefit. Again, the focus shouldn't be on capacity, it should be on facilities.

• Advertisement

In most county grounds, 80% or more of capacity is provided by concrete terraces which last a very long time and have little maintenance costs. If need to you can break out concrete and pour new, to reduce capacity you would need to demolish and rebuild which would cost more for no benefit. Again, the focus shouldn't be on capacity, it should be on facilities.

Facilities includes seating and shelter. Its one of the first requirements, so 80% terrace does not cut the mustard.

I fail to see the contradiction myself. These 'county grounds' that I am talking about are already in place. And not sure why you are limiting stadiums to National Football League games only?

Facilities includes seating and shelter. Its one of the first requirements, so 80% terrace does not cut the mustard.

If you want to replace terraces because they don't "cut the mustard" then you are talking about "tearing down existing stadia", or at least large parts of them, which you previously said you weren't talking about. Replacing a terrace with a seated and sheltered stand is a multi million euro project, I thought the objective here was to save money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

A 25 k stadium LOL

Semple Stadium/Gaelic Grounds for Munster SFs and final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I prefer standing at a game

Oh i agree with you, i was just making the point that if there were to be these mini Crokers then we wouldnt also need 25k stadia

I fail to see the contradiction myself. These 'county grounds' that I am talking about are already in place. And not sure why you are limiting stadiums to National Football League games only?

These county grounds with 20/25k capacity are not in place, without researching, id say about 8 counties have them.

So do i but not too many covered terraces out there

You'd have the option of that whilst those that want to sit would have that option too. Terraces should be covered in my opinion.

• Advertisement

You'd have the option of that whilst those that want to sit would have that option too. Terraces should be covered in my opinion.

Absolutley, and we dont need the whole ground covered but next time a Co Board is looking at upgrading their ground, covering enough terracing, that with a stand might keep 12-15k people dry would be an idea and if that cost means letting 10k of terracing that will rarely be used go to ruin, then so be it

These county grounds with 20/25k capacity are not in place, without researching, id say about 8 counties have them.

Maybe do some research so! I count 16, and it wouldn't take a lot to bring some of the others up to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Yes that was the crux of my argument. I'm of the same belief as you, one central 40-45k stadium to Croke park specs and standards in each province and I think counties should really not be looking to develop anything over 10-15k as they're a waste of money. Small stadia to a high standard suitable for club and county is far preferable to empty monoliths which give atmosphere to nothing.

That ship has sailed. And each province has its own particular traditions . Munster is completely different than Connacht and with the round Robin in hurling is capable of having 4 or 5 30,000 plus crowds a season topped off with a 45,000 final. Connact can't do that and neither can any other province. Plus having one large stadium is tricky giving tbe size of the province. Its bigger than Wales.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    That ship has sailed. And each province has its own particular traditions . Munster is completely different than Connacht and with the round Robin in hurling is capable of having 4 or 5 30,000 plus crowds a season topped off with a 45,000 final. Connact can't do that and neither can any other province. Plus having one large stadium is tricky giving tbe size of the province. Its bigger than Wales.

Wales has 3.15million people and doesn't have as many large stadia as Munster. In fact apart from the Principality Stadium they're all smaller than the major Munster stadia bar Ennis and Waterfords. But keep the superiority fantasy alive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I see casement is in the news again the assembly have green lighted 20 million to it but it is well short of the required funds and ulster gaa have said they won't be giving any more funds to it. Will Antrim have a ground 10 years at this rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

roadmaster wrote: »
    I see casement is in the news again the assembly have green lighted 20 million to it but it is well short of the required funds and ulster gaa have said they won't be giving any more funds to it. Will Antrim have a ground 10 years at this rate?

Estimated cost now of £110 million which is around €125 million. Ouch.

• Advertisement

Maybe do some research so! I count 16, and it wouldn't take a lot to bring some of the others up to that level.

Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipp, Galway, Mayo, Monaghan, Kilkenny, maybe Offaly and Laois at a push, dont see where you are getting 16 tbh

kksaints wrote: »
    Estimated cost now of £110 million which is around €125 million. Ouch.

I'd love to see the ROI on a €125 million ground that will get one capacity attendance every 2yrs if lucky. What is their obsession with building an all singing, all dancing ground? Scale it back to 15,000 capacity or even twelve. Take the €20 million from the UA, add €5 million and you'd have a cracking ground with two stands and two covered terraces which is still a white elephant albeit a smaller white elephant that the other would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipp, Galway, Mayo, Monaghan, Kilkenny, maybe Offaly and Laois at a push, dont see where you are getting 16 tbh

I'm fairly sure Cavan,Carlow,Derry,Down and Fermanagh are 20k + .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Cavan,Carlow,Derry,Down and Fermanagh are 20k + .

Cullen Park is nowhere near 20k plus, don't think it's even 10k under the revised capacity from a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

kksaints wrote: »
    Cullen Park is nowhere near 20k plus, don't think it's even 10k under the revised capacity from a few years ago.

It was reduced to 10/11k about 5 years ago but I thought it was back up now to 20k.
    Was at a game there in 2019 and the stand/terrace looked in decent shape.

Edit: Taking out Carlow ,there would still be 14/15 at 20k.
    Roscommon is currently at 18k but will be increased once the work on the ground is completed. These aren't major developments (circa 2m)so I expect it to start this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement