Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Cold spell Charts/ Media/ Forecasts (Strictly no chit-chat) (15/12/2010)

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Between 0(on coasts) to 10 cm (leinster) of snow depth by saturday 9pm

uksnowdepth.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That low could shift a few hundred miles east and deliver to UK and feck all here.

Yes there is HUGE potential but thats all it is at the moment and anyone that has been watching charts for years will know how this can kick you in the teeth and downgrade very quickly. People need to be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If the models were to come off as they are looking tonight then i think that chart could be very conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Villain wrote: »
    That low could shift a few hundred miles east and deliver to UK and feck all here.

Yes there is HUGE potential but thats all it is at the moment and anyone that has been watching charts for years will know how this can kick you in the teeth and downgrade very quickly. People need to be realistic.

agreed villain , that dry area over england could push more west in terms of the models there still not 100% sure of where everything is going to be placed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Villain wrote: »

Thanks for that Villain - as you know i have not been reading charts for years so i was getting a little carried away i think - needed to be brought back down to earth! I still hold out hope though:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Charts and models are fine but for me the one most important thing that gives me confidence in all this is that M.T Cranium is 100% on board. This man has been calling this event for weeks and weeks now. He has the knowledge and experience to call this so i'm going with him all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

10cm is one of the outer bands there, the deepest one looks like 18cm actually.

Those charts can be very conservative though and locally or on higher ground those figures would be a lot higher I think if the GFS came off exactly as it looks now.

MT is predicting up to 18cm for inland southeast on sunday alone for example.

18Z GFS ensemble average at 60 hours :

gens-21-2-60.png?18

High confidence there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

10cm is one of the outer bands there, the deepest one looks like 18cm actually.

Those charts can be very conservative though and locally or on higher ground those figures would be a lot higher I think if the GFS came off exactly as it looks now.

MT is predicting up to 18cm for inland southeast on sunday alone for example.

Your dead right didn't spot that. I can tell you colour blindness does not make these charts easy to read and interpret!!!

Although looking at MT's predictions he's talking 45cm of snow over the 5 days with below freezing thats going nowhere fast. I suppose i just can't believe anywhere in Ireland is going to have half a metre of snow. Did i just say that.. HALF A METRE OF SNOW?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It’s 8.2c here now, the wind has been picking up for the last couple of hours, there is definitely an air of foreboding outside that would send chills up your spine.

Today the sea was absolutely dead calm, it was like a mirror, I’ve rarely seen it that still - even the tide didn’t seem to stir anything but tiny ripples that were silently creeping in and out.

I was talking to a couple of older people about 1947 here and there are resonances with what happened prior to that monumental episode. In 1947 there were 7 foot snow drifts on the coast, even the beaches around here were covered, people had to dig themselves out of their homes by ripping their doors off and shovelling their way out of 7 foot drifts.

I have my shovel at the ready... wish me luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Always the voice of reason Nach, i agree with you to a certain extent but in fairness have we ever seen such amazing charts at 2 or 3 days out? You cant blame us for getting excited.

it is exciting to look at these charts for people like yourself and others who are seasoned model watchers, but for casual viewers they may not realise it could easily go pear shaped and then be left very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

alfa beta wrote: »
    nope - not til tomorrow
    I'll give it another 50 mins so and head to bed so!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Your dead right didn't spot that. I can tell you colour blindness does not make these charts easy to read and interpret!!!

Although looking at MT's predictions he's talking 45cm of snow over the 5 days with below freezing thats going nowhere fast. I suppose i just can't believe anywhere in Ireland is going to have half a metre of snow. Did i just say that.. HALF A METRE OF SNOW?

& whats half a metre of snow ??? 1982 all over again - told you papa smurf was smelling 82 again - & we were blaming his meds :D Well one things for sure even if we get an inch, this week sure has been exciting... & Fair play & hats off to MT , hes been on about the 19th for weeks now........ MT for Taoiseach !!:D

45cm is about the amount that caused the roof of the Metrodome to collapse the other day in Minnesota. :pac:

I really dont think we will get that much, but Ive never seen charts like these under 96 hours so who knows. MT is certainly more experienced than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

The first band of cloud will bring the rain which then turns to sleet/snow..and then the onslaught begins!

image.ashx?ok=1&country=eu&type=slide&index=1&sat

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

ecmwf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

that arctic airmass looks angry :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

uksnowdepth.png

slightly odd that chart - east mayo has more lying snow than Ulster. i'll believe that when i see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

CAn someone please explain how BBC weather has Dublin Pretty much basking in sunshine? There 5 day forecast is sunny- to partially cloudy so is it a case they dont really put an effort into Dublin/ Ireland?
    very confusing!!!!

I'd rely on MT more though- its just strange of the conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

Forgive me but I'm only learning.

@vizual pics - I assume that mass of cloud is heading our way. Am I right in saying the wind should be blowing in a ssw direction for that to hit Ireland? And obviously there is a chance that the wind could change and miss us?

• Advertisement

Ok, off to bed now.

Two things :

1) Expect a downgrade on the next run(s). After such good charts downgrades are always likely, but at the same time I wouldnt expect a massive downgrade now either.

2) Prepare for the worst while conditions are still good, just in case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement