Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Cold spell Charts/ Media/ Forecasts (Strictly no chit-chat) (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I can guarnatee Met Eireann will play it down till a few hours before an event, It will nowcast all the way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

It said on one forecast that there would be frost despite the fact that it will be very windy.I always thought if there was wind it greatly reduced the chances of frost.Is it because the wind will be extremely cold given its origin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭pauldry

Tomorrow will start off mild at 7 or 8c here in Sligo and then dip to 3c by midday and stay around this level until about 230 or 3pm. Then it will dip again to 2 and 1 and oc by 6pm.

In the meantime there will be regular precipitation falling starting off as rain then after midday it will be sleeting but not sticking but perhaps by dark the roads will begin to get a white appearance.

Then during Thursday night a blanket of about 3 to 7cm of snow will cover Co Sligo lowest values near the coast with perhaps as much as 15cm on some of the highest hills and near 12cm in snowtraps like Tubbercurry which always gets a good dumping.

Firday will be cold but less snow showers perhaps hail and sleet but Saturday will see a renewed threat of snow for Sligo. Adding to existing accumulations.

This is my current forecast for the Sligo area.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

roryc1 wrote: »
    Sweet jebus look at the low on sat http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

Is that a latest chart ? Just looks much nearer to East Coast than earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Evelyn and ME are on board at last:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Friday night looking delicious now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WHAT a forecast!! Evelyn mentioned another front coming down from Scandinavia! Sounded very good/bad (depending what side you're on!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

roryc1 wrote: »
    Sweet jebus look at the low on sat http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

Maybe silly question, but what does it mean for us when we are close to the centre of a Low ? is it colder, or stormier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Maybe silly question, but what does it mean for us when we are close to the centre of a Low ? is it colder, or stormier ?

Heavy precip, windy. Combine that with snow being the precip...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

hello all, just a very basic question but I have been watching the sat24 images all afternoon and this front if that is the correct term appears to be moving very very quickly...any chance it could hit us earlier than predicted? Apologies if this is chit chat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Evelyn and ME are on boards.ie at last:)
    fixed your post;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECM is nothing less than exceptional, buckets and buckets of snow for many.

Dublin would be snowed under from Friday night through until midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hey WC

Could you post up a chart ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

the weathermen seem to be getting worried issuing warnings they must be coming here for the good advice.....

And the rest of us?! (national thread..:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Can someone put up a link for the latest chart please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECM at 72hrs, low will have developed crossing Ireland

Recm721.gif

UKM at 72hrs - similar

When these charts start coming within the T48hr timeframe expect to see severe warnings issued.

Rukm721.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looking at the latest models for the weekend its like a dream set up for snow lovers. Simply amazing stuff, what a weekend we are going to have :D

Looking at the latest models for the weekend its like a dream set up for snow lovers. Simply amazing stuff, what a weekend we are going to have :D

Palpitations here! I'm not kidding! Even my mother is getting worried - even though i warned her of this the other day and she totally fobbed me off! (sorry about chit chat!):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Well, I am old enough to remember 82 and going back to February 78' I recall a big snow event. But this POTENTIALLY will top everything in terms of snowfall since, I guess, 1947. Lets see, going to be a lot of time wasted spent in here :pac:

• Advertisement

Well, I am old enough to remember 82 and going back to February 78' I recall a big snow event. But this POTENTIALLY will top everything in terms of snowfall since, I guess, 1947. Lets see, going to be a lot of time wasted spent in here :pac:

Haha, someone should tell Met Eireann, in case they are looking at the wrong charts :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

hang on Joan Blackburn played it down at 6.30 - Evelyn said, at 6.50, that Saturday's driving conditions would be dangerous - which is it? sorry, are ye saying that Dublin will be snowed under on Saturday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I can guarnatee Met Eireann will play it down till a few hours before an event, It will nowcast all the way:)
    Aiel wrote: »
    It said on one forecast that there would be frost despite the fact that it will be very windy.I always thought if there was wind it greatly reduced the chances of frost.Is it because the wind will be extremely cold given its origin?
    Evelyn and ME are on board at last:)
    Friday night looking delicious now
    goodies wrote: »
    hello all, just a very basic question but I have been watching the sat24 images all afternoon and this front if that is the correct term appears to be moving very very quickly...any chance it could hit us earlier than predicted? Apologies if this is chit chat!
    fixed your post;)
    jimmynokia wrote: »
    the weathermen seem to be getting worried issuing warnings they must be coming here for the good advice.....

To be fair all of these posts from page 13 deserve deleting.

Including this post which is also pointless. They have nothing to do with model discussion/ forecasting for this event.

Do you really think this could get to the levels of 1947 (POTENTIALLY;))?? My dad said it was really bad too in 1945 (the year he was born) - my grandparents were taking him to get christened and they barely made it to the church (they were lucky to get there). I never hear anybody mention that year for snow though. Not as bad as 1947 obv

To be fair all of these posts from page 13 deserve deleting.

Including this post which is also pointless. They have nothing to do with model discussion/ forecasting for this event.

My post was a question about the chart. How is that not relevent to a Charts thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

I would disagree with you regarding my post which in fact has to do with forecasting and charting as I was asking about satellite images from today which I wanted assistance with interpreting. I do not think anybody needs to be unfriendly or rude...thank you I am sincerely trying to learn here

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

This forum makes me feel bi-polar with the up and downs with each chart release!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I hate when these threads turn elitist. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Back to forecasting.

Models are really starting to show some serious countrywide snow on Saturday night/Sunday morning. This is when the bulk of the country should see snow but obviously it will be heaviest in the West and North. After that snowfalls should be more localised.

widespread.png

widespread2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Certainly better then GFS for next week:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement