Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Cold spell Charts/ Media/ Forecasts (Strictly no chit-chat) (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Are we in a reliable time-frame now? As in will it vary much from this run tomorrow and friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

for every snow flake i see i shall down a pint of beer

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I say Thursday evening is a more reliable timeframe for the weekend ahead. ME will probably upgrade their forecast at that time if these charts are as accurate as they may very will be tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

leahyl wrote: »
    Would you mind explaining this Mayo Exile? I haven't an iota. is it good or bad?

Maquiladora's post (#270) explains it very well in one crisp sentence!:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Is M.T. drawing these charts :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Think ill blow this one up and use it as a dart board. You cant beat a bit of bully :D

10121809_1518.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

gfs-0-60.png?18

gfs-2-60.png?18

Uh oh....

Oh no this is all my fault , the other day in the other thread i wished for a SVPL(SUPER VISCOUS POLAR LOW)! Sorry!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I am sort of lost for words. Seeing charts like that at just 54 to 84 hours and not way off in FI....its pretty special. In fact, I have never seen charts as good in terms of snow/blizzard potential at such a close timeframe.

Just have to keep telling myself its only a model and it will probably downgrade. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

I thought the ECM for saturday looked amazing when it came out earlier this evening but kept calm knowing it's only one model and one run. Then comes the 18z GFS that not only backs up the ECM but upgrades it massively!!! Incredible charts! :eek:

(I'm still keeping calm for the moment though, as maq says, it's only a model ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

So do these charts seem to shift focus to Leinster or am I seeing half the picture? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So do these charts seem to shift focus to Leinster or am I seeing half the picture? :(

No laurence i think it's still looking good for Munster :) from what i can see anyway - i might be completely wrong!

It will probably bear the brunt of it but everywhere will see heavy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

No, they upgrade snowfall potential for the whole country on saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Enjoying all the updates guys, very informative and helpful. Still ****ting bricks for the drive home Friday night but once I'm there I will enjoy this event. I'm no weather expert but I'm assuming the joy being expressed in here means something very big is on the way :D

Pretty much all areas would be at risk at certain times. On this run Leinster could see the most intense precip at times but that could very easily change on the next run.

The mild air has been pretty much told where to shove it on this run too, Out to +177 (22/12) and max temps for the midlands at -13 at 21:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Oh no this is all my fault , the other day in the other thread i wished for a SVPL(SUPER VISCOUS POLAR LOW)! Sorry!:o

WOO!... WE ASKED ... AND WE SHALL RECIEVE!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

No laurence i think it's still looking good for Munster :) from what i can see anyway - i might be completely wrong!

Think positive anyway :P

Not too worried about that rain and slightly milder air at sweeping in at 180. Thats total FI. Just compare the 850 temps from the 12Z and 18Z at 180.

I wouldnt really pay attention to anything beyond 120 hours at the moment.

Edit...

ok, just for the laugh....there is no real breakdown in FI and then on Christmas Day...

gfs-2-240.png?18

Hahahahaha....madness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You know how in the past we have gotten very excited about certain weather systems (such as this one) coming our way only for our hopes to be dashed at the last minute? Well what are the chances that this will happen - or is it looking fairly certain at this stage that the whole country will see heavy snow?

Sorry if i'm repeating stuff but just don't want to wake in the morning to see that the whole thing has been downgraded significantly....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

You know how in the past we have gotten very excited about certain weather systems (such as this one) coming our way only for our hopes to be dashed at the last minute? Well what are the chances that this will happen - or is it looking fairly certain at this stage that the whole country will see heavy snow?

Sorry if i'm repeating stuff but just don't want to wake in the morning to see that the whole thing has been downgraded significantly....

I don't think we'll have this system down at all until less than 24 hours to go. Tomorrow morning should show us the full picture. The problem is the models have no history for this kind of outbreak and also the system is very complex. In one of the GFS charts there were 3-4 low pressures in the system. Madness!

ukmintemp.png

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

yes thank you , it could well happen and all those who have hyped this thing OVER THE WALL at this stage, will be sadly dissapointed im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i hate to be a killjoy, but it can't be stressed enough that this potential snowstorm could get shifted over to England on the next run. so it is best not to get carried away with any run over the next 12 hours. the gfs is notorious for throwing up dream charts only to ditch them on the next run. while it's encouraging the ecm is on board, they too could easily show a downgrade on the next run. i've seen people salivate about charts over on netweather many times, only to throw their toys out of the pram when the next run wasn't nearly as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Should we not be seeing the temp starting to drop in the NW at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

ukmintemp.png

:eek:

DO NOT SHOW THIS CHART TO VILLIAN!!!! I think that -16 is on his house!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

cram1971 wrote: »
    Should we not be seeing the temp starting to drop in the NW at this stage?

nope - not til tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

pad199207 wrote: »
    yes thank you , it could well happen and all those who have hyped this thing OVER THE WALL at this stage, will be sadly dissapointed im afraid

The only thing that is happening is a major outbreak of cold and snowy conditions , how bad its going to be is another question but the prospect of it being very disruptive is there.

Or do you have different view from looking at the models ?

139611.png

i hate to be a killjoy, but it can't be stressed enough that this potential snowstorm could get shifted over to England on the next run. so it is best not to get carried away with any run over the next 12 hours. the gfs is notorious for throwing up dream charts only to ditch them on the next run. while it's encouraging the ecm is on board, they too could easily show a downgrade on the next run. i've seen people salivate about charts over on netweather many times, only to throw their toys out of the pram when the next run wasn't nearly as good.

Very true. But even if this never comes off, its very exciting to see such amazing charts at under 96 hours, and with the GFS and ECM and some lesser models showing the same type of setup.

GFS ensembles will be interesting now to see what support the op had with this snowstorms, though have to keep in mind too that the ensembles are only half the resolution so not as accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Always the voice of reason Nach, i agree with you to a certain extent but in fairness have we ever seen such amazing charts at 2 or 3 days out? You cant blame us for getting excited.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement