Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

snowing two hours now just outside galway city, flakes are massive great stuff, getting wrecked tired now though, need bed soon

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

its not snowing anymore....

does this mean I have school tommorow

If it's a serious question - no - all closed till thursday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sue3

snowing two hours now just outside galway city, flakes are massive great stuff, getting wrecked tired now though, need bed soon
    any idea what the road are like into the city from the claregalway side?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

i dont know if i sld go???
    i'll call my school in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

snowing big time here in Mayo (Ballinrobe), dont think it will settle due to the rain in the past 6 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

No snow in Sligo at all. Freezing with that wind but very gradual thaw was observed earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

If it's a serious question - no - all closed till thursday :(
    great!.. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

snaps wrote: »
    snowing big time here in Mayo (Ballinrobe), dont think it will settle due to the rain in the past 6 hours.

Great stuff! :)

It's been sleeting away here, although any white stuff and ice is still around the same as it was.

There's hope yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

delw wrote: »
    i hear u snow ghost,i have rainman on in back round&guess wat its raining in d17,coincidence?

No coincidence!!
    I was watching Groundhog Day last night and in the part where the road was closed because of the blizzard i looked out the window and it was blizzarding!! Snow joke :P
    Everone in the wider dublin area should stop watching Rain man and watch Groundhog Day!!! :)
    Besides who wouldn't pick Bill Murray over Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise!!

What a day! was on this forum awaiting santa/snow to come, went to bed late, dog woke me up at 6am very upset (she was in heat:eek:) last owners told us March:eek: sorted that out, turned on cold tap it was frozen:eek: went to shop to stock up, pipe comes back at 1pm, meanwhile instead of getting presents from santa (i.e. snow) santa decided instead to **** on my presents :eek: watched in horror as epic snow event turned into a nightmare, ready to go to bed a while back a broken man on the weather front and then it started snowing:) still good slightly lighter happy out

• Advertisement

sue3 wrote: »
    any idea what the road are like into the city from the claregalway side?

Near here, not bad not good either, cars going much slower at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

what side of galway city is that cretinhop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sue3

Near here, not bad not good either, cars going much slower at the moment...

thanks..might risk work in the morning!

Snowing heavily in westport now... BRING IT ON!!! HAHAAHAHA:D:D:D

(don't mind me I have a touch of snow-madness)

AHAHAHHAAHAHHHHHHHH

bit up tuam road, its stopped now sort of freezing rain:o mixed with flakes, its an absolute lottery what the roads will be like me car says its 0c now, it seems quite cold out now, more orange clouds to the north, id say it should be dodgy tommorow for roads but doable, if it keeps snowing after i go to bed id say all bets are off nite nite

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

its geting closer i hope to **** we get it in the next 10 mins my bed is calling me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

naughto wrote: »
    its geting closer i hope to **** we get it in the next 10 mins my bed is calling me

All of a sudden its stopped, radar now gone very quiet now as well for the mid west

All of a sudden its stopped, radar now gone very quiet now as well for the mid west

Stopped here too... I was hopping the radar just wasn't picking up very well last round, hopefully that hasn't all suddenly moved away from us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

It was snowing heavily earlier, then stopped, then started snowing lightly again, and it's stopped again now.

The snow on our front garden path, the public path and public 'slip' road seems to be melting now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowing here. Roads and footpaths just lethal as there was freezing rain earlier on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Well looks like the last of the snow has fallen.
    This event turned out great in the end for us down south, it was looking for a while like we would get nothing during the cold snap. Happy out til next year, or next week, whenever :D

Temp 0c
    Waiting for the big thaw :(

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Still snowing in the city, sticking lightly in places. If the roads are at or get to freezing its going to be a crappy kinda morning for driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Well looks like the last of the snow has fallen.
    This event turned out great in the end for us down south, it was looking for a while like we would get nothing during the cold snap. Happy out til next year, or next week, whenever :D

Temp 0c
    Waiting for the big thaw :(

Yeah,just looked out,dont think it snowed anymore during the night:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

alo1587 wrote: »
    Yeah,just looked out,dont think it snowed anymore during the night:(
    EDIT: Snowing again.

It was snowing up until an hour or 2 ago up here. I`m 8 miles from the town though. out in the shticks! Made a trip into Mallow today and the car got stranded half a mile from home on the return journey. Kinda fun just for the novelty factor I suppose :P

The kids in town were havin a ball. Great to see.

I built this fella. hehe

img1980.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hmmmm. No snow here yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

woke up here in Waterford (Kill) to see most of the snow that fell yesterday still here despite some rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

G'morning gang,

Still snowing here in West Limerick however I do note a definate thaw. The cars have a lit less snow on them this morning and ground levels have not had any increase on those last night.

Think today will be a messy affair with melting snow and slushy roads :(

I suspect that if the snow event had waited another 24 hours that the Southern half of the country would have been total chaos as roads cloged up and people left work early to get home.

Still though, it was nice to have it while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Anybody know what the roads are like around Cork. Is the N22 okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

This is the current report for Cork from AA Roadwatch.

CONDITIONS* *MUNSTER* *CORK* Conditions in Cork remain very poor. Snow is still lying in many areas, with ice and slush also causing problems. Gardai still advising against unnecessary travel. * Take care on the M8 Cork/Dublin Rd via Fermoy, use the left lane.
    • Continue to take care on the N20 Cork/Mallow Rd at Rathduff. Rathduff & Grenagh villages are almost impassable.

96FM can be good for road reports too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

GavinH wrote: »
    Anybody know what the roads are like around Cork. Is the N22 okay?
    radio reporting all roads around cork treacherous.safer to stay at home

Advertisement