Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Is this the same Fr. Kennedy that caused all that stir in Dungarvan?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

cml387 wrote: »
    Is this the same Fr. Kennedy that caused all that stir in Dungarvan?
    that's him

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

I think it was further up the street if memory serves me right.
    I have to apologise to you as you were right as Gus Bonelli opened an amusement shop in No 7 Mitchel St. in the 70's where Johnny Del had the hair dresser's:rolleyes:

I would remember the "Las" as the "Laudy Boo"..Thats what we used to call it any way,

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Just been in the new Mayfair there - has to be said that has improved big time from when the previous folk had it.....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement

I would remember the "Las" as the "Laudy Boo"..Thats what we used to call it any way,

Shamelessly stolen from Facebook for those not friends of Clonmel Stories...
    19203_121766107996631_1126918245_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

The original name for Mithchel St was Hawk St,it was also called Dublin St,and also called Sheelan St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Note the sign writing on the gable end. What owner put this up?

Pity the late Mossy Keating is not around to-day I bet he would have a fair idea!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nice photo.

What year was this taken? You'd wonder why the new owners of Mayfair (now Verona Café) changed the name of it.

Already established name for what it seems about 40 years? vs new place on the block.

Unless of course the Mayfair name got tarnished somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

callaway92 wrote: »
    Nice photo.

What year was this taken? You'd wonder why the new owners of Mayfair (now Verona Café) changed the name of it.

Already established name for what it seems about 40 years? vs new place on the block.

Is it not back to the Mayfair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

callaway92 wrote: »
    Nice photo.

They were trying to make a new start. The lad who had the Mayfair before ran it into the ground.

Anyone yet find out who, in other words who were the owners who put the sign writing on the gable end of the above photo?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

ICS Building society on right. Is that after or before the explosion. it is the O'Sullivan building isn't it?

After, in was a grocery/sweet shop before the explosion.

Xenophile wrote: »
    After, in was a grocery/sweet shop before the explosion.
    Oh that's right. Was it owned by O'Sullvans then as a grocery? When was the explosion exacty? Thanks

I think the explosion was in November 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

cant remember the year of the explosion but i do remember i was attending a meeting down the quay in the then ITGWU hall, a prefab which shook with the force of the blast, we all ran up Dowds lane to see what happened, the whole building was blown upwards each floor blown up and then dumped down pushing everything into the basement, the street was strewn with the contents of the building.

On the location of Los Vegas, Gus Bonelli had the one where Johnny Dell had the hair salon then in the 80's moved to where Nicky Delicato had the pub (Niamh's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Fr Kennedy - who ran his pulpit like a SWP meeting - was a Hollywood style priest in looks. Looked like an American Kennedy, in fact I think he officiated at Rose's funeral.

Fr Kennedy - who ran his pulpit like a SWP meeting - was a Hollywood style priest in looks. Looked like an American Kennedy, in fact I think he officiated at Rose's funeral.
    he is related to the American Kennedys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

LoveCoke wrote: »
    he is related to the American Kennedys

Is he? How distant?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

has anyone heard anything about Tesco in Clonmel changing from 24hr to closing at midnight? I've heard a few rumours but nothing definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

maryfred wrote: »
    has anyone heard anything about Tesco in Clonmel changing from 24hr to closing at midnight? I've heard a few rumours but nothing definite.
    Yes from tonight tesco closes from midnight to 6am mon-sun they have it advertised at doors below 24hr must not have being paying

From tonight Tesco is no longer 24hr in Clonmel closes every night at midnight and reopens at 6am. won't make any difference to me

Think it was mentioned here before but have ye seen the facebook page Clonmel Stories, some fantastic pictures of old clonmel on it well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

maryfred wrote: »

They've had a sign outside the front door for the last 2 weeks at least.

Suprised it took them so long. It was always very quiet in there at night mid week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Should have gone to Specsavers!! Never even noticed a sign! Thanks for the info.
    Was handy for finishing shiftwork to get a few bits but yes it wouldn't have been enough to keep it open.Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Does anyone know anything about St. Mary's Montessori on the Glenconor, Clonmel?
    I'm looking for any reviews, good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭immature ejaculation

Hi folks just wondering if anyone knows where the New Ireland insurance office was located in Clonmel??? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Agreed Royco - cracking site and loads of old pictures on it

Brgds
    Johnny

Advertisement