Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-03-2020, 13:10   #1681
touts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm29 View Post
How long can the talks (if there’s even any talks still going on, the coronavirus took over the media) between parties go on before another election Is called?
Months.
Advertisement
02-03-2020, 18:24   #1682
It wasnt me123

Ambrose won't run again - she didn't run in the last one and supposedly can't afford it.
02-03-2020, 18:30   #1683
kellykelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by touts View Post
SF took Healy's seat. No point in targeting it other than the desire to, shall we say, trade up from Browne.

I don't think FF will take a second seat and in fact will have a fight to keep Cahill's one. But Ambrose is the only feasible 2nd candidate they have. Goldsboro came across very poorly in the election (posters of a young polished, well dressrd lady and on the doorstep & social media she looked anything but). Image might not be everything but the difference was so stark it came across as deceitful. Farrell was an unmitigated disaster. Smith Jr might want to run again but he is in the North so no way Cahill lets him run. No one else they have stands even a slight chance. So it's a Cahill/Ambrose ticket or a Cahill only ticket which will not go down well in the South of the county.
the point is they want more tds,
02-03-2020, 18:30   #1684
touts

Quote:
Originally Posted by It wasnt me123 View Post
Ambrose won't run again - she didn't run in the last one and supposedly can't afford it.
Shows how far FF have fallen if candidates have to pay for their own campaign.
02-03-2020, 18:32   #1685
touts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykelly View Post
the point is they want more tds,
There isn't two Sinn Fein Seats in Tipperary. If they run two candidates that will be to replace Browne.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-03-2020, 18:35   #1686
Maryanne84

Quote:
Originally Posted by It wasnt me123 View Post
The party pays. Not the candidate. That’s why some cannot run as independents.
02-03-2020, 19:43   #1687
kellykelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by touts View Post
There isn't two Sinn Fein Seats in Tipperary. If they run two candidates that will be to replace Browne.
how do you know? They will be looking to run more candidates and have more seats everywhere
02-03-2020, 20:19   #1688
Chakra Blue

A new Sunday Times Behaviour and Attitudes poll suggests that support for Sinn Féin has increased substantially since the General Election on 8 February

That will probably frighten the sh#/e out of FG and FF...Micheal and Leo might cobble some kind of deal together..That would be more of what we had...To be honest,I dont think any of them have any answers..They are all good for the photo and the soundbite,thats about all...
02-03-2020, 20:41   #1689
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
how do you know? They will be looking to run more candidates and have more seats everywhere
look how long it took Browne to be elected. If he had got what Lowry got in first preferences then yes they might have a shot at a 2nd seat but no chance would a second get in. 12% first preferences wouldn't get near a 2nd seat and even a decent improvement on that wouldnt get a 2nd seat
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-03-2020, 20:56   #1690
jlm29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Sheep View Post
look how long it took Browne to be elected. If he had got what Lowry got in first preferences then yes they might have a shot at a 2nd seat but no chance would a second get in. 12% first preferences wouldn't get near a 2nd seat and even a decent improvement on that wouldnt get a 2nd seat
I don’t think anyone could compare any candidate to Lowry, in all fairness. If Sinn Fein found a candidate to run who looked a bit more poster worthy, for want of a better way of putting it, they could easily get elected instead of, or possibly as well as, Browne. Anyone I know who voted for him was voting for Sinn Fein, not caring really that it was Browne they had to vote for
Thanks from:
02-03-2020, 21:24   #1691
mahoney_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Sheep View Post
If Seamie Morris was still on the sf ticket he would be a racing certainty ,don’t know anything about brown and I’m betting most who voted for him know even less .imo he will be a very poor td ,as will many other sf tds around the country who were elected in simillar scenarios
02-03-2020, 22:13   #1692
touts

Quote:
SF will take second seats where they have a strong first candidate capable of bringing in a running mate. A candidate with a strong local and national profile. A candidate people can see in the cabinet running the country. A candidate with the ability to convince his electorate that he is their best choice.

Browne is not a candidate with those traits. He might hold the seat because of the SF national profile. But he will almost certainly have a running mate and will be looking over his shoulder at that person.
02-03-2020, 22:21   #1693
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm29 View Post
I don’t think anyone could compare any candidate to Lowry, in all fairness. If Sinn Fein found a candidate to run who looked a bit more poster worthy, for want of a better way of putting it, they could easily get elected instead of, or possibly as well as, Browne. Anyone I know who voted for him was voting for Sinn Fein, not caring really that it was Browne they had to vote for
did I say that they would. Sinn fein wont run a second candidate in tipp. The vote isnt in the county and would do more to damage Browne than get 2 seats many people who voted for him were voting for SF not the person which is strange for Irish politics but nowhere near enough for a second candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoney_j View Post
If Seamie Morris was still on the sf ticket he would be a racing certainty, don’t know anything about brown and I’m betting most who voted for him know even less. Imo he will be a very poor td, as will many other sf tds around the country who were elected in simillar scenarios
probably. He def didnt canvass anywhere near around my place at home and did so well as you say because of the national party and nothing really to do with what he can do
08-03-2020, 07:44   #1694
Xenophile

Is Jackie Cahill a Stalking Horse ?

Micheál Martin faces angry backlash from TDs over stance on Sinn Féin

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has faced angry backlash from this parliamentary party over the General Election result and his stance on government formation talks.

Jackie Cahill, Sean Fleming, John McGuinness, Eamon O Cuiv and Joe Flaherty were also critical of the continued criticisms of Sinn Féin.

At the meeting, Tipperary TD Jackie Cahill called for a “root to branch” review of the entire party. Mr Cahill was also extremely critical of the party’s election manifesto.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-39019122.html
04-04-2020, 00:16   #1695
Xenophile

Congratulations and best wishes to Alan Kelly on being elected leader of the Labour Party.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion