Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Can't believe it's happened to someone else. Exactly what happened to me. Can I ask did you extend your liability with Parcel Motel out of interest? I did and am always warey when I do. That said I'm absolutely sure this happened at Amazon. I was wanting to get the police involved but they started hinting at withdrawing the refund they had given me.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Can't believe it's happened to someone else. Exactly what happened to me. Can I ask did you extend your liability with Parcel Motel out of interest? I did and am always warey when I do. That said I'm absolutely sure this happened at Amazon. I was wanting to get the police involved but they started hinting at withdrawing the refund they had given me.

I used addresspal from An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Im just curious does Amazon warehouse have data who collects and packs the items?
    Would that be the same person?
    I would be crazy to risk my job, even if it ****ty, for a mere 100£.

They certainly do.
    However, most of the people who work as pickers are not Amazon employees. They are contractors.

Currently trying to tell that as I used a forwarding service I have to go to An Post. Which is bulli**** as the package was sealed by Amazon and they (Amazon) literally use An Post as a delivery service!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I used addresspal from An Post.

I've heard of numerous incidents like that happening with addresspal. An Post could not care, if you could even contact someone there in the first place.

You're lucky enough that amazon will refund it unlike some other unfortunate people that used different retailers, once addresspal get it, that's the retailers job done and owe you nothing. Slim to zero chance of getting a refund from an post.

I use parcel motel and anything worth over €100 I pay the extra to increase the insurance cover.

Edit: Just reading your later post, hope you get it sorted with amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Monday, November 09, 2020 08:42 AM

Out For Delivery Today

ANDERSON, SC, USA
    so_good.png

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Was the AMD box seal broken on those parcels I assume?

That is awful.

Mine was received from Amazon via Parcelmotel and it was absolutely fine thankfully. I'd be raging in your situation

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

My ****ing CPU was stolen by Amazon staff! Outer brown Amazon box sealed inner AMD box is open with no CPU inside. Absolute *****.

Jesus, absolute nightmare. Wonder if they know they are more likely to get away with it if it's being sent to addresspal or forwarding address?

Hope you get sorted!

I've heard of numerous incidents like that happening with addresspal. An Post could not care, if you could even contact someone there in the first place.

You're lucky enough that amazon will refund it unlike some other unfortunate people that used different retailers, once addresspal get it, that's the retailers job done and owe you nothing. Slim to zero chance of getting a refund from an post.

I use parcel motel and anything worth over €100 I pay the extra to increase the insurance cover.

Edit: Just reading your later post, hope you get it sorted with amazon.

Depending on the credit card used you might have protection that way as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I'm torn, from one side mine 2600 is still a decent cpu for 1440 but temptation to get 5600x is high, but with all that "out of stock" bs I think that I will till next year.
    Do you think will the whole "low" stock situation be the same with PS5&Xbox as it use AMD as well?

• Advertisement

yoshiktk wrote: »
    I'm torn, from one side mine 2600 is still a decent cpu for 1440 but temptation to get 5600x is high, but with all that "out of stock" bs I think that I will till next year.
    Do you think will the whole "low" stock situation be the same with PS5&Xbox as it use AMD as well?

Not directly. The consoles use Zen 2, but since their the same fab process, presumably on its own line(s). I guess theres the opportunity cost of dedicating all your 7 nm fab to Zen 3 CPUs.

Stock shouldn't be a problem in the spring.

Also depends on your chipset. You need a 400 or 500 series chipset motherboard to load a Zen 3 on the socket. If your on a 300 chipset your best upgrade is the 3950X.

The only question I have is do I bother POSTing the build today if the cooler arrives tomorrow. Wouldn't be against a jump start on updates. And then, there's the GPU :( while I wait for an RX 6800 do I gut my main PC for it's R9 390 or do I grab the 2 HD 5770s sitting in the closet :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Can I ask why people use Parcelmotel etc for items shipped directly by Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hyzepher wrote: »

They were only supplying to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Sometimes, Amazon UK does not allow shipping to Ireland, but allows shipping to Northern Ireland.

Sometimes, shipping to Northern Ireland plus PM fee is less than what they charge to ship to RoI. Particularly for items sold by third parties and fulfilled by Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

In my case it's impatience...choose Parcel Motel/UK, you'll get 'next day' shipping for free(well, the cost of parcel motel locker - and i've had some surprisingly quick turnarounds using parcel motel) - but if you've an Irish address, it could be an extra week or longer estimated.

But agree, it's safer using home address for _large_ expensive things to save the hassle of returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just got confirmation from Scan that they have silently changed mine to pre-order. No notification when I was purchasing and now 4 days later nothing until I pushed the issue with customer support. I completed the order as a direct purchase, I know they will have this covered legally in their ToS but effectively this is breach of contract to me. Going to cancel it if they can't get it moving tomorrow, and my account with it. It's not because of impatience on getting it, I don't buy into the FOMO fever for these things and it will take longer to start from scratch elsewhere but this blatantly dishonest behaviour is ridiculous.

Can I ask why people use Parcelmotel

Always read the label

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭ForestFire

My PC case has finally arrived into stock and shipped today (P500a/OCUK) so will be staring my "Family(RGB:cool:)" build soon with the 3600(Which is due Wed). (Previously looked at NZXT 510i, P600s [Not in stock] and Cosair 4000D/x [was about to change again to this if P500a was further delayed]).

All I need is a M.2 SSD looking to get this one if anyone has any opinions (X570 MB)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XFGPFZK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A1ES4VU2ZYV0RM&psc=1

I think 500GB is enough as the primary OS and program drive and will add additional storage later, for Photos/Files etc?

Will be borrowing a GPU from a friend to start that has one spare to get me going before upgrading to my own at a later point.

This is my first own build (in my 40's), and even though it's only the "OLD" 3600 CPU, I will post up some pics when available in the next few week (This could be a slow build).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    If you cancel it...you will lose out on the exchange rate just a heads up
    I paid with revolut so when refunded in sterling the plan is to just leave it in sterling. As long as the sterling price doesn't change and I buy in sterling next time I won't lose out.
    Overheal wrote: »
    It will probably be fulfilled when they get their next batch?

Who knows and I've asked them for an update on my order and didn't even get a reply. Clearly they've no stock and no idea when they will have. Sh1te customer service.

ForestFire wrote: »
    My PC case has finally arrived into stock and shipped today (P500a/OCUK) so will be staring my "Family(RGB:cool:)" build soon with the 3600(Which is due Wed). (Previously looked at NZXT 510i, P600s [Not in stock] and Cosair 4000D/x [was about to change again to this if P500a was further delayed]).

All I need is a M.2 SSD looking to get this one if anyone has any opinions (X570 MB)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XFGPFZK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A1ES4VU2ZYV0RM&psc=1

I think 500GB is enough as the primary OS and program drive and will add additional storage later, for Photos/Files etc?

Will be borrowing a GPU from a friend to start that has one spare to get me going before upgrading to my own at a later point.

This is my first own build (in my 40's), and even though it's only the "OLD" 3600 CPU, I will post up some pics when available in the next few week (This could be a slow build).

I've also just put together a new build. I have a similar sabrient M.2 SSD, though I went for the 1TB model. Happy out so far, and it's performing well according to the userbenchmark.com tests. So I would recommend them. I also found it difficult to get the case I wanted, I was looking at the phanteks, and the lian li, but I ended up getting the cooler master h500 and happy so far.

Good luck with build, do post up pics when it's done

• Advertisement

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Just got confirmation from Scan that they have silently changed mine to pre-order. No notification when I was purchasing and now 4 days later nothing until I pushed the issue with customer support. I completed the order as a direct purchase, I know they will have this covered legally in their ToS but effectively this is breach of contract to me. Going to cancel it if they can't get it moving tomorrow, and my account with it. It's not because of impatience on getting it, I don't buy into the FOMO fever for these things and it will take longer to start from scratch elsewhere but this blatantly dishonest behaviour is ridiculous.

Same thing happened to me with the 3080, I thought I was buying something they had in stock at launch. Was a long time before they emailed with an update, and then it was as if it had always been a preorder. I found it infuriating. Though, apart from that, they have been great to deal with!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Scan have updated their website with stock info

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/amd/ryzen-5000-faqs supposedly will share queue positions and expected deliveries tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Got another reply, no apology for the lack of comms just a reiteration of 'Your order has been received as a pre-order'. I'm done. Cancelled and asked them to delete my account when it's processed. #scam.co.uk .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Some Online stores really showing their true colours and not thinking of the END GAME with people....I mean we are going to be updating or rig for decades to come so why be a greedy c**t now with one launch, 1 particular ****hole (OCUK) I will never deal with again with the ****ty way they handled things.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Some Online stores really showing their true colours and not thinking of the END GAME with people....I mean we are going to be updating or rig for decades to come so why be a greedy c**t now with one launch, 1 particular ****hole (OCUK) I will never deal with again with the ****ty way they handled things.

I would love to hear some insight from retail did they had any info about stock before the launch from Amd.
    I dont want to cover for scan or ocuk, just curious whether they got before lauch info like "dont worry about the stock,it will be there." Or went full airlines mode, booking more than they can chew.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I remember about 5 minutes before placing the order, their were 1,000 people looking at the 5950x, they now have 551 in the queue. I'd say they've probably had some cancellations due to people trying multiple retailers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

liamog wrote: »
    I remember about 5 minutes before placing the order, their were 1,000 people looking at the 5950x, they now have 551 in the queue. I'd say they've probably had some cancellations due to people trying multiple retailers.

I was watching the 5600X page thoughtout the morning seeing the number watching creep up from 200 to 1200+.

Kinda curious from a technical point of view how Scan's ordering system works - you'd imagine it should have allocated you a unit once you were able to add it to your basket, then give you a certain amount of time to complete the checkout or lose the allocation (like cclonline mentioned on their site - they gave you 15mins apparently). Stock allocation for online shops is a pretty basic thing I would have thought these days.

At worst they shouldn't have let you complete the order if it was no longer in stock. Unless of course it's deliberate to get in as much money as possible then deal with any **** storm afterwards.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I was watching the 5600X page thoughtout the morning seeing the number watching creep up from 200 to 1200+.

Kinda curious from a technical point of view how Scan's ordering system works - you'd imagine it should have allocated you a unit once you were able to add it to your basket, then give you a certain amount of time to complete the checkout or lose the allocation (like cclonline mentioned on their site - they gave you 15mins apparently). Stock allocation for online shops is a pretty basic thing I would have thought these days.

At worst they shouldn't have let you complete the order if it was no longer in stock. Unless of course it's deliberate to get in as much money as possible then deal with any **** storm afterwards.

I wouldnt be surprised that instead of advertising that they have , lets say 500 on order, Scan or/and Ocuk lets people order as many is possible. So now they have a 1000 on preorder list, some will decide to order somewhere else, maybe a 100 or 200 people. But a lot will stay. So instead of only selling 500, they have order for 800.
    Not the greatest bussiness practice but happens a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I've an overclockers desk mat that I've been dying to get rid of since their 3080 launch, even looking at the logo pisses me off with the way they've handled things.

Definitely won't be purchasing anything from them in the future.

• Advertisement

In another example of the universe taking a big steamy ****e on me today. My new motherboard is dead on arrival

Advertisement