Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

JoyPad wrote: »
    I ended up ordering a bundle on Scan, including an ASUS ROG Strix X570-F motherboard, 32GB RAM 3200MHz, Corsair AIO Cooler, and 5950X. Price is much better than the sum of the parts, and I can use them all.

Unfortunately, Scan will send the CPU installed and the cooler attached. I already had a cooler that I was planning to use, but we'll see how easy it is to detach, re-paste, replace.

Get yourself some thermal paste remover off Amazon or some isopropyl alcohol from a chemist to remove the thermal paste, otherwise it's a bit of a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Anyone really looking to get one, just wait a week or so. I have sources in AMD and stock is plenty and will be arriving steadily.

This wont be a wait weeks for a unit type deal as it was with 3080, some might feel the same sting that was met with that launch be be itching to get a chip by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InDarkWoods

Thor wrote: »
    Anyone really looking to get one, just wait a week or so. I have sources in AMD and stock is plenty and will be arriving steadily.

This wont be a wait weeks for a unit type deal as it was with 3080, some might feel the same sting that was met with that launch be be itching to get a chip by all means.

That's heartening to hear. Any idea where's the best place to keep an eye out? Amazon UK is usually my go-to....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Think we've found the new new Sandybridge.

The 5600X performance is just stunning. I really hope they dont hobble the 5600. Hopefully Intel will cut prices a d the 5600 will be the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I know my 3600 is fine for 1440p with the 3080, but it's mighty tempting to go 5600x or even 5600 if they release it as I've been looking at getting rid of my b450m-a for a bit considering it's lack of VRMs and horrible fan/usb connector placement....

Someone please convince me it's not worth it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've a 5950x on order with Scan ordered at 14:06, I've not had dreaded it's a pre-order yet, but still at the awaiting picking stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

liamog wrote: »
    I've a 5950x on order with Scan ordered at 14:06, I've not had dreaded it's a pre-order yet, but still at the awaiting picking stage.

They are certainly taking there time with letting customers know where they stand,25 hours after the order

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I also heard there was plenty of chips to go around. AM4 is a great platform isn't it?, to span from a 220GE to a 5950X on the same slot is nothing short of amazing.
    How many different sockets would Intel have used?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    They are certainly taking there time with letting customers know where they stand,25 hours after the order

They must be absolutely flat out dealing with all the RTX cards, both nvidia and partner cards, and now the ryzen 5000s launching on top of it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My 5900 is the same. Went from awaiting despatch all day yesterday before I got any status update emails to "awaiting picking" after I got status update emails late last night. No movement since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I also heard there was plenty of chips to go around. AM4 is a great platform isn't it?, to span from a 220GE to a 5950X on the same slot is nothing short of amazing.
    How many different sockets would Intel have used?

AM4 was launched in February/March 2017.

In that timespan, Intel released:

Codename| Identifier | Release date | socket | chipsets
    Kaby Lake-S | 7xxx | January 2017 | LGA1151 | *1xx & *2xx
    Kaby Lake-X | i7-7740X & i5-7640X | June 2017 | LGA2066 | X299
    Coffee Lake | 8xxx | October 2017 | LGA1151v2 | *3xx
    Coffee Lake-S | 9xxx | October 2018 | LGA1151v2 | *3xx
    Comet Lake | 10xxx | April 2020 | LGA1200 | *4xx

Technically, you can't use a 5000-series Zen chip on the first AM4 motherboards (B350/X370).

.G. wrote: »
    My 5900 is the same. Went from awaiting despatch all day yesterday before I got any status update emails to "awaiting picking" after I got status update emails late last night. No movement since.

Hopefully it's because they are too busy sorting out my 3080 fe order!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

How many of them did you order?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I just got an email from Scan regarding my 5000-series bundle. They said they took a large number of orders and it will take a while. Sit tight.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I just got an email from Scan regarding my 5000-series bundle. They said they took a large number of orders and it will take a while. Sit tight.

scumbags. They and other retailers did exactly what they always do, but worse for scan is that they said they would not oversell on stock they didn't have, but nope that is exactly what they did.

Which doesn't actually bother me, but don't say your not going to do that and then go ahead and do it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What where they like for the 3080 queue, do they tell you where you are and give you regular updates?

What where they like for the 3080 queue, do they tell you where you are and give you regular updates?

So on launch day, at launch hour, I ordered an EVGA gaming black as it was the only one with a buy it now button when the page finally loaded. I've been sitting in the queue, positioned over 150, since then. In fairness to scan, it's because EVGA haven't been producing their lower mark up cards.

Scan have been fairly open and transparent after the initial confusing ordering experience. They send out weekly updates with your queue position specific for the model you ordered, and expected shipment dates to fill all outstanding preorders. And they've answered my email queries within a few hours each time. I'd shop with them again, though unlikely if we have added import duties and prolonged shipping come January.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Two emails from scan this morning saying picked and dispatched with the 5600X, arriving Tues 10th. Nice. :D

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Two emails from scan this morning saying picked and dispatched with the 5600X, arriving Tues 10th. Nice. :D

Still nothing on my order. Just email that it was authorised. No Pre-order or delay email, but i suspect their coming.

Congrats on securing 5600x. It looks to be one of the best gaming chips for the money and even overall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Still nothing on my order. Just email that it was authorised. No Pre-order or delay email, but i suspect their coming.

Congrats on securing 5600x. It looks to be one of the best gaming chips for the money and even overall too.

Similar situation here, was due for dispatch yesterday but still not even showing as picked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers, was planning on getting a 3600 at the end of the month but figured I'd try get one of these since the price wasn't too mental. Only the second thing I've ordered from scan but can't fault them so far, will most likely order a few more bits from them rather than Amazon now since they're way quicker to process and deliver.

Hopefully it's just a case they're swamped and catching up on processing orders rather than not having the stock. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Cheers, was planning on getting a 3600 at the end of the month but figured I'd try get one of these since the price wasn't too mental. Only the second thing I've ordered from scan but can't fault them so far, will most likely order a few more bits from them rather than Amazon now since they're way quicker to process and deliver.

Hopefully it's just a case they're swamped and catching up on processing orders rather than not having the stock. :)

Ah nice, yeah the 5600x is the way to go. Some really impressive numbers from that chip and its a really solid price.

I think that is the case for scan, but since I went for the 5950x it's most likely a case of not nearly having enough stock. Took like 6 minutes to get the order placed.

I do have another order for a 5950x and cheap Asus Prime B550 mobo that I can sell off right away. That looks to be a solid order, but they take an extra few days to assemble before shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Figured I wouldn’t get involved in this gen but seeing that 5600x.

Only got a 3600 last December. Fair play to AMD. Offering genuine generational steps prices at a point it makes you consider it

TheDoc wrote: »

Only got a 3600 last December. Fair play to AMD. Offering genuine generational steps prices at a point it makes you consider it

I was gonna skip too but somehow have a 5600x, b550 motherboard, ram, a new PSU and a new case all enroute to me now to go with my 3080.

Because I'm a hypebeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

TheDoc wrote: »

What motherboard would you guys recommend for the 5600x.

Motherboard has to work out of the box or flashable by intel hardware as all my gear has been intel til now.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    What motherboard would you guys recommend for the 5600x.

Motherboard has to work out of the box or flashable by intel hardware as all my gear has been intel til now.

Nothing will work with intel hardware as it's not an Intel processor.
    No motherboard currently on the market works out of the box.

You need a b550 or x570 board which you can then flash the bios of with the newest bios release from the motherboard manufacturer to make it work with a 5600x.

CCL have the MSI B550 Gaming Plus for £136 but you can currently claim a €30 rebate from MSI in the purchase, meaning it will cost you about €125.

That's about the best value for money 500 series motherboard on the market at the moment at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Any opinions about Asus x570 TUF? Thinking about replacing my current x470 with it. Looking for something around 200€.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Nothing will work with intel hardware as it's not an Intel processor.
    No motherboard currently on the market works out of the box.

You need a b550 or x570 board which you can then flash the bios of with the newest bios release from the motherboard manufacturer to make it work with a 5600x.

CCL have the MSI B550 Gaming Plus for £136 but you can currently claim a €30 rebate from MSI in the purchase, meaning it will cost you about €125.

That's about the best value for money 500 series motherboard on the market at the moment at that price.

Thanks - thats most useful...
    But to be clear - I'm just saying i don't want to buy a second older AMD processor that i will use to just flash the board and then throw it away - seems a waste.

Was hoping there would be a motherboard that will work with 5600x out of the box or that the motherboard is flashable via usb, serial or ttl interface or other from a regular (but intel) pc.

Thanks.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement