Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My 5900x from Scan is still "awaiting picking" since Friday night. How long does it take to take something off a shelf and pack it! I'm expecting shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mine is still in transit here in the US, should get here tomorrow or tuesday.

I'd be furious if I opened up an empty CPU box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

.G. wrote: »
    My 5900x from Scan is still "awaiting picking" since Friday night. How long does it take to take something off a shelf and pack it! I'm expecting shenanigans.

Aye mine's exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

I received my 5600X (from Amazon picked up from parcelmotel today), but now I'm waiting for the Psu and 3070 from Scan.

Itching to start building

I need to pick a CPU cooler out.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Overheal wrote: »
    I need to pick a CPU cooler out.

I went with the Fuma 2 based on KOKiki’s recommendation, originally planned on a Noctua but the Fuma was a decent bit cheaper and compared well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Gaming-X570-Plus-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B07TNSYXXV/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2MDNOLPTP1GPK&dchild=1&keywords=x570+tuf&qid=1604858820&sprefix=x570+tuf%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-2
    X570 TUF
    vs

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089HFNQ1K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2IZIWNXZQ7JSL&psc=1
    Strix B550

I've about £200 Amazon credit so I won't feel bad either way...for a 5600x when available.

to be used w/ -
    RTX 2080, and 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO, DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0

I've one spare m2 slot at the minute so may get a PCIe 4 m2 drive.

Thoughts? (aware I can get cheaper B550)

Shlippery wrote: »
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Gaming-X570-Plus-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B07TNSYXXV/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2MDNOLPTP1GPK&dchild=1&keywords=x570+tuf&qid=1604858820&sprefix=x570+tuf%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-2
    X570 TUF
    vs

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089HFNQ1K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2IZIWNXZQ7JSL&psc=1
    Strix B550

I've about £200 Amazon credit so I won't feel bad either way...for a 5600x when available.

to be used w/ -
    RTX 2080, and 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO, DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0

I've one spare m2 slot at the minute so may get a PCIe 4 m2 drive.

Thoughts? (aware I can get cheaper B550)

TUF also has an addressable RGB header even though its not RGB oriented. Both have AuraSync. It also has the better PCIe 4 support for NVME expansion - even though the Strix has a +1 heat spreader for a 2nd m.2

The Strix only has support for 1 PCIe 4.0 x3 NVME. The TUF has two.

The Strix linked here is Wifi and the TUF is non wifi. There are vice versa SKUs for either, with or without wifi. On Newegg US, the TUF X570 is cheaper than the B550 Strix, non wifi.

The Strix has 2.5 Gbps LAN, TUF has 1 Gbps. Probably not a decision factor for most use cases though.

Same power spec, 12+2

Roughly the same audio, unless you're an audiophile with an audiophile setup, no significant differences. And if you are why are you using onboard audio over a DAC

TUF brings it home for me with build quality and reliability features, and better specs where it matters. Strix looks lovely but I'd lean to the X570 chip.

• Advertisement

That sucks alright. You'd imagine it shouldn't take much more than a full working day from payment to it getting picked (assuming it's actually in stock). I ordered a Corsair SF600 from them earlier this afternoon and it was super fast to get out the door.

Date Printed - 08/11/2020 16:33
    Date Authorised - 08/11/2020 16:34
    Date Picked - 08/11/2020 16:41
    Date Despatched - 08/11/2020 18:41

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah I'm assuming I've missed the boat and they don't have one to pick but they should be proactive in telling me that rather than waiting for me to query it which I'll do tomorrow. If they don't have it I'll probably cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Yeah I'm assuming I've missed the boat and they don't have one to pick but they should be proactive in telling me that rather than waiting for me to query it which I'll do tomorrow. If they don't have it I'll probably cancel it.

If you cancel it...you will lose out on the exchange rate just a heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Aye mine's exactly the same.
    According to Not An Apple Fan over on YouTube, Scan has been a little bit cheeky selling CPU pre-orders and not telling people they're pre-ordering.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdbnN1spx4
    The good stuff starts at 19:15.
    yoshiktk wrote: »
    That's why I think going 570 is more future proof, or at least a little bit.
    Not really. B550 has plenty of what most people will need for the next few years. 20 lanes of PCI Express Gen 4 from the CPU on the Ryzen/AM4 platform is ample and will be for the foreseeable future.

20 lanes is enough for a 16X PCI Gen4 graphics card and an x4 NVME ssd. Today, few graphics cards can take full advantage of 16X PCI Gen4, and Gen 4 NVME SSDs carry a price premium.

It is however expected that Gen 4 will be a requirement for gaming in the coming years, and some of the newer graphics cards may benefit from Gen 4. When that happens, the 20 lanes of PCIE Gen 4 will be fully utilised.

By the time most people need any more than that, the entire platform will be long since obsolete. On the down side, the x570 chipset requires a fan cooler on board which is more noise and another point of failure for the system. And more cost. I advise against the X570 chipset unless you're actually planning to use the extra things it offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

X570 is no more futureproof than B550. It has more IO, but most people will never need it all.
    And both the B550 and X570 are the end of the line boards for the AM4 socket.

AMD had stated for months that next gen ryzen will come with a brand new socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

SeanW wrote: »
    According to Not An Apple Fan over on YouTube, Scan has been a little bit cheeky selling CPU pre-orders and not telling people they're pre-ordering.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdbnN1spx4
    The good stuff starts at 19:15.

Is he a boards user?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

JoyPad wrote: »
    What I said is still true: the PCIe 4.0 lanes all come from the CPU, and the B550 chipset doesn't have any.

That particular board is connecting three m.2 slots and a GPU slot all to the CPU, and none to the chipset.

What you said is not true. I know it comes from the CPU.

You said you can only have 1 PCIe.40 SSD on a B550 which is not the case.
    You can have only one PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive on B550 boards, in the slot connected directly to the CPU. The second slot is connected to the chipset, and is 3.0 only.

Regardless of what it's connected to that statement is incorrect. When I'm talking about the boards having it I mean support by a, having the slots and b, having the option of reducing gpu lanes to increase ssd lanes. There's only a certain amount of lanes available and only a certain amount of boards that let you configure them like this so it is also board dependent just as x570 has more lanes than b550 with the same cpu's.

It will probably be fulfilled when they get their next batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Overheal wrote: »
    It will probably be fulfilled when they get their next batch?

That all depends on how many pre-orders they took and what stock is incoming this week...the word on the net is that most suppliers wont get a big enough stock of chips this week to fullfill pre-orders

My 5600x is ready for collection from my local post office and I'm sitting at home waiting for the other parts (mobo, ram, psu, case) to be delivered by DPD in the next hour.

wahey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

My 5600x is ready for collection from my local post office and I'm sitting at home waiting for the other parts (mobo, ram, psu, case) to be delivered by DPD in the next hour.

wahey.

Be sure to share some pics of the finished article! @everyone else - keep us posted on stock-watch :D

My ****ing CPU was stolen by Amazon staff! Outer brown Amazon box sealed inner AMD box is open with no CPU inside. Absolute *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

My ****ing CPU was stolen by Amazon staff! Outer brown Amazon box sealed inner AMD box is open with no CPU inside. Absolute *****.

So thats a second isnt one it? Bastards.
    Thats why its a shame thay we dont have decent local shop with stock. Now wait another week or so for return and resend from Amazon, think I will wait few weeks before I order mine, after the first scalpers hit. 5600x its around 400£ now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'm wondering if those cpus that were available early were just vapour

yoshiktk wrote: »
    So thats a second isnt one it? Bastards.
    Thats why its a shame thay we dont have decent local shop with stock. Now wait another week or so for return and resend from Amazon, think I will wait few weeks before I order mine.

Yeah someone for their package a few days earlier using parcel motel and same thing exactly. Outer box sealed, inner box open and CPU missing.

As it stands I paid £279 for a Spire Stealth cooler worth about €5

Jesus that's brutal! :(

And that was sold by Amazon themselves rather than a 3rd party?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Im just curious does Amazon warehouse have data who collects and packs the items?
    Would that be the same person?
    I would be crazy to risk my job, even if it ****ty, for a mere 100£.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This happened me about a year ago. Amazon sorted it immediately no questions and sent another , it's a pain but it will be made right by them

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Jesus that's brutal! :(

And that was sold by Amazon themselves rather than a 3rd party?

Yup. Comes in Amazon brown packaging sealed with PRIME branded tamperproof tape, inner AMD packaging seal broken and CPU missing. Shipped directly from Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Absolutely braindead by whoever did it along the supply chain, but at least with Amazon you'll know they'll sort it out.

Still an absolute kick in the teeth though.

Advertisement