Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

In another example of the universe taking a big steamy ****e on me today. My new motherboard is dead on arrival

Better dont get in the car today.
    Maybe try reverse luck and buy lotto ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I was watching the 5600X page thoughtout the morning seeing the number watching creep up from 200 to 1200+.

Kinda curious from a technical point of view how Scan's ordering system works - you'd imagine it should have allocated you a unit once you were able to add it to your basket, then give you a certain amount of time to complete the checkout or lose the allocation (like cclonline mentioned on their site - they gave you 15mins apparently). Stock allocation for online shops is a pretty basic thing I would have thought these days.

At worst they shouldn't have let you complete the order if it was no longer in stock. Unless of course it's deliberate to get in as much money as possible then deal with any **** storm afterwards.

I got one in the basket with CCL at the same time as I got one in the basket with Scan. CCL website crashed completely though so was impossible to progress the order so I switched focus to scan. The bloody captcha on scan messed me over. It doesn't work very well on mobile and kept asking me to log in even though I already was so that delay killed me with them too!

Kind of wish I just ordered the 5800x memoryc had in stock. Not too many would have thought of them I'd assume. I didn't until amazon tried to sell me one from them!

liamog wrote: »
    Scan have updated their website with stock info

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/amd/ryzen-5000-faqs supposedly will share queue positions and expected deliveries tomorrow.

Surprised at the amount of 5900x ordered. I'm in that lot! I'd haver thought the 5600x would be the big seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

.G. wrote: »
    Surprised at the amount of 5900x ordered. I'm in that lot! I'd haver thought the 5600x would be the big seller.

Those figures are the remaining outstanding 'pre-orders".
    Chances are the 5600 and 5800 outsold the 5900 by a factor of 2 or 3 I think.

Maybe. My order on their website still says awaiting picking and I didn't get an email to say its now a pre order so fingers crossed I'm getting one this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there a big jump in performance from the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X to AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ?

Headshot wrote: »
    Is there a big jump in performance from the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X to AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ?

Sorry I completely misread your post, thought you were asking 5900x to 5950x.....

There's probably up to ~60% performance improvement based on extra cores and IPC gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There should be, 4 extra cores with around 20% better performance per core. It should be around 50% faster but it depends on the software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsfvRw74h30&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed
    In games no.

Of course its better in games too. It still has the better single thread IPC and clock speed. It's up to 30% better for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,982 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

*maybe* even faster than that with an RX 6000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Having read scan's update on the situation it makes sense to me. Merchants operate on thin margins and updating the checkout software to cover this edge case scenario where thousands of people are burning through your entire stock in a couple of minutes doesn't really make financial sense. Amazon has billions and all the software engineers, predictive modellers, and technology they could ever want, and they still have situations where they decide after you get to the payment screen "actually we can't deliver that to you even though we knew who you were when you logged in".

So while it's frustrating I'm more sympathetic than I am for amazon for the stock stolen before it left the warehouse. Wonder if amazon are rethinking their Irish distribution centre already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Had the Sabrent M.2 NVME SSD Gen4 500GB on order from amazon UK from earlier today... 115euro

The 1TB version is just gone on deal of the day on amazon DE... 150 Inc shipping. Update:- Also now on UK offer working out at 144euro with free delivery.

Difference is too close to stick now, so UK order canceled and now have 1TB on order from DE :-) Update:- DE canceled... Back to UK offer for 1TB...

The white version is also on offer for 82gbp (m.2-3200/2000 1TB).....would it be stupid to order this as a second file storage drive for photos... Think the 4TB barracuda 3.5 inch sata is about the same price?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I found this review very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Headshot wrote: »

I looked at the hardware unboxed and the 5900x was around 15-20% faster in general @ stock from what I seen.

I have a 3900x with the balls clocked off it (to my limited expertise) to 4.5ghz ALL CORES (idling at late 30c's @ 1.3v) so I am assuming that this percentage would be reduced further with the OC.

Cinebench tests gave it a score of around 8350 iirc, I am getting 7950 last time I ran it.

The 5950x (or the chip above it) is a horse of a totally different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

ForestFire wrote: »
    Had the Sabrent M.2 NVME SSD Gen4 500GB on order from amazon UK from earlier today... 115euro

The 1TB version is just gone on deal of the day on amazon DE... 150 Inc shipping. Update:- Also now on UK offer working out at 144euro with free delivery.

Difference is too close to stick now, so UK order canceled and now have 1TB on order from DE :-) Update:- DE canceled... Back to UK offer for 1TB...

The white version is also on offer for 82gbp (m.2-3200/2000 1TB).....would it be stupid to order this as a second file storage drive for photos... Think the 4TB barracuda 3.5 inch sata is about the same price?

1tb Samsung evo and crucial p1 m2 ssds on amazon.de for around €100. And the sabrient q rocket 1tb is on deal of the day for €89 for the next 16 hours.

Also, I'd go with the larger non-ssd for photo storage if I was going with a hard drive. I use cloud storage myself for photos.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Two deliveries due today from DPD UK, assuming one of them is the 5600X (think the other is a PSU). :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Got my queue position mail from Scan for the 5950x, "Your current queue position is 93. We are working hard with our suppliers and partners to get an estimated arrival date, please watch your email for further updates."

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Hmm tempting
    Asus TUF for 199£
    It looks that its a plaque at Amazon, friend in Uk got empty box as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Seems to be a lot of theft going on with Amazon orders lately. A mates 5600x was stolen as well.

Maybe if Bezos paid his staff a bit better they wouldn't feel the need to get some "perks" from the job.

Got my queue position mail from Scan for the 5950x, "Your current queue position is 93. We are working hard with our suppliers and partners to get an estimated arrival date, please watch your email for further updates."

Out of curiousity, what time did you complete the order at?
    I'm in 497 for the same CPU and completed checkout at 14:02

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

69 here ..checkout at 13:58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

BloodBath wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of theft going on with Amazon orders lately. A mates 5600x was stolen as well.

Maybe if Bezos paid his staff a bit better they wouldn't feel the need to get some "perks" from the job.

I'm not feeling alot of sympathy* at the moment I can tell you! :pac:

*for the Amazon staff.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

SickBoy wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, what time did you complete the order at?
    I'm in 497 for the same CPU and completed checkout at 14:02

I got the confirmation mail at 14:06, so not sure exactly when I finished the checkout. I had the payment go through then it refreshed and asked for my mastercard 2fa code a second time, so it could well be that the first payment was successful and they are basing the time on that. Your order is really early, I'm very surprised you are so far down the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Hmm tempting
    Asus TUF for 199£
    It looks that its a plaque at Amazon, friend in Uk got empty box as well.
    BloodBath wrote: »

Thats return fraud most likely. Lots of the data hoarding community getting shafted with bricks instead of MyBooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

ED E wrote: »
    Thats return fraud most likely. Lots of the data hoarding community getting shafted with bricks instead of MyBooks.

For the MyBooks yeah more then likely but the cpus are not out long enough for them to go out to customers and come back empty ready to go on to the next customer

I haven't got any emails from scan about my 5900x status or queue position. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm not feeling alot of sympathy* at the moment I can tell you! :pac:

*for the Amazon staff.

Was it an issue with Amazon that they delivered to a third party when you requested the refund?

Just curious as I'd use parcel motel frequently and don't want to be stung but there may be no need to increase parcel motel's insurance cover amount if Amazon refund regardless.

djivide_ wrote: »
    For the MyBooks yeah more then likely but the cpus are not out long enough for them to go out to customers and come back empty ready to go on to the next customer

Mine went out on the 4th November. It was definitely someone at Amazon.

Just kicking myself I went for the 3100 to tide me over, as I'm returning it I should have got a 3950X. :pac:

Was it an issue with Amazon that they delivered to a third party when you requested the refund?

Just curious as I'd use parcel motel frequently and don't want to be stung but there may be no need to increase parcel motel's insurance cover amount if Amazon refund regardless.

Amazon refunded me with very little hassle, even though it had gone to Parcemotel. I'm pretty sure the girl didn't really understand that I had got the parcel and it was sealed. She just kept saying "as you did not receive it". She said it was sold by a third party so I joined a chat later to find out who the seller was and they confirmed it was, in fact, Amazon.

At this point I lost the run of myself, being the huge manbaby I am and said I wanted the police involved. They started to hint that pushing it further would unravel what had been done over the phone so I left it there.

I hastily spent the giftcard balance (my chosen refund method) but tbh they could easily charge my credit card if they change their minds. I've been a customer for over a decade and have loads of services with Amazon so here's hoping things don't turn sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

434 in the queue! confirmation email at 14.13. 5950x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

.G. wrote: »
    I haven't got any emails from scan about my 5900x status or queue position. Weird.

Queue is far far bigger for the 5900x, id imagine thats why.

Advertisement