Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Where is the list for bundles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

tazzzZ wrote: »
    Queue is far far bigger for the 5900x, id imagine thats why.

Just got it now. 957th! I'll wait for them to update their expected stock arrival dates before deciding on cancelling it or not. I was checked out some time between 14.05 and 14.10.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Hopefully they give an indication today when the next set of processors are due to arrive.
    I believe there are batches due on the 20th and 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They should be able to ramp production right up on Zen 3 and RDNA2 now that the console orders have been met.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

5600X (and SF600) arrived during lunch. Can relax now it's here. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Back online with some Quad Core goodness in the 'loan' 3100. Have been using a Celeron G540 with a knackered SSD. The issue with all of this is I've now found a use for the Celeron based machine so have spend stupid amounts (hundred quid or so) upgrading it to Ivy Bridge i5 goodness and 8GB RAM. Also got a 120GB SSD for £15 (Gigabyte).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,982 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ED E wrote: »
    Thats return fraud most likely. Lots of the data hoarding community getting shafted with bricks instead of MyBooks.

How do you get return fraud on spanking new releases??

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I found this review very interesting

/gets 2 mins into video

...I JUST bought Windows 10 home last night. I am SO pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Overheal wrote: »
    /gets 2 mins into video

...I JUST bought Windows 10 home last night. I am SO pissed.

Oh that is a major oof. It's surely been mentioned here before that you can buy the key for Windows dead cheap on like eBay/adverts as well

Edit: Just realized this is Zen thread not off topic so it wouldn't have been said here. Are you able to get a refund on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I just use HWIDGEN, have used it on a couple different builds and never had any issues.

• Advertisement

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Oh that is a major oof. It's surely been mentioned here before that you can buy the key for Windows dead cheap on like eBay/adverts as well

Edit: Just realized this is Zen thread not off topic so it wouldn't have been said here. Are you able to get a refund on it?

NAh. Screw it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

JoyPad wrote: »
    Where is the list for bundles?

They were here: https://www.awd-it.co.uk/components/cpu-memory-motherboard-bundles.html

AWD-IT seems to have run out of 5000 stock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Hey all, first time in this forum so apologies if this isn't the right thread to post in. I managed to get a 5900x off Scan, had it arrive on Monday but ordered motherboard / PSU / AIO separately the other day. I've just got an email saying that the order will be delayed and saw that the motherboard I ordered (X570 Tomahawk) is now out of stock with the store page saying it'll be 15th December before any are due, does anyone know if they tend to get shipments in before the restock dates or are those generally accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Scan usually spot on with their restock dates in my experience with them...looks like 15th december

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Damn, that's a bit annoying but thanks for reply! CCL seem to have it in stock so I may see about cancelling the order from Scan, ordering the other parts again and then getting the motherboard off CCL.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Talking about scan i see they have got this weeks shipment in of 5600x's and they only got 30...poor people in that queue will be waiting forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    They were here: https://www.awd-it.co.uk/components/cpu-memory-motherboard-bundles.html

AWD-IT seems to have run out of 5000 stock though.

Sorry, I was referring to Scan's posted waiting lists for Ryzen CPUs.
    I ordered a bundle from Scan, and I wonder if/when they would post information on the waiting for those, and how the stock for bundles might have been set aside ahead of time, or how do they manage that?

So far, I have the order awaiting picking, and no further communication. I spoke to Scan Support on the webchat, and they said they have no visibility into 3XS side of the business. And 3XS does not have a chat, so I sent them an email and I'm waiting for a reply.

Is there any sort of alert thing I can get for Amazon for the 5600X?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Just out of interest, why are people going to the 5600? Don't the new consoles have 8 cores? So wouldn't the 5800 be the better future proof purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Just out of interest, why are people going to the 5600? Don't the new consoles have 8 cores? So wouldn't the 5800 be the better future proof purchase?

Its a lot cheaper, gains arent worth the money. Its better to go for better gpu with saved money or 5900x

• Advertisement

8 Zen 2 cores. Hardware unboxed put it pretty well, it's not cores your looking for (in most cases) but overall CPU performance. 6 core Zen 3 with the gains in performance will be very close if not surpassing the console CPU performance.

The 5800X is also oddly priced making it not good value for money. I think per core it's actually the most expensive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The 5800X is also oddly priced making it not good value for money. I think per core it's actually the most expensive one.

You're paying a premium for the perfect die I guess.

SickBoy wrote: »
    You're paying a premium for the perfect die I guess.

Element of that and an element of them knowing people will draw parallels with the consoles and they know they can get away with it! Overall I don't blame them for all the other products in their stack, this one is a bit of a niggle.

Thery will redeem themselves in my eyes if the 5600 non-X is one CCX and lands before the end of Jan '21 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I have the 3700 so I'm good for now. I think though if I'm honest I'll pick up a 3800x, but I'm in no rush.

What's the story with coolers? Can we use the coolers that came with the 3600/3700/3900?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

People are far too quick to jump all over the 5600X for literally every build that can afford it.

The 5600X makes sense for >60hz gaming, and/or it makes sense for people who upgrade very regularly as the hex-core will never hold it back.

However, there are loads of cases where the older 3-series Ryzen make sense too, just as much if not more dependent on context.

People who are building budget and/or 60hz machines, the 3600 makes more sense as you can funnel more money into the GPU.

For people who want a build that'll last as long as is possible without a core change, the 3700X also makes sense over the 5600X.

The IPC difference between the 5600X and 3600 is impressive but it's not going to lead to any huge difference between both processors; by the time is 3600 is unsuitable for games, the 5600X will also be on shaky legs.

This is where the 3700X comes in. And obviously the 5800X if budget allows as it has the best of both core count/IPC worlds.

As you say, the new consoles are based around what is basically a 3700X. Those cores might not matter today, but they will matter down the line.

It was the same when something like the 3570K was way faster than the 3770K in games, but eventually a time came when the 3770K passed it out and is now significantly better for games due to the extra cores.

Or the 4670K v the 6660k. Yeah, the 6600K is decently better on an IPC basis, but still has the same problems and pitfalls as they are still both heavily constrained by being 4c/4t in 2020 and games need more. No different to 3600 and 5600X down the line.

With the consoles specifically rocking Ryzen 2 based Octo-core processors, games will absolutely start making good and efficient use of cores and threads in relatively good order.

Again, that doesn't matter if you're upgrading regularly, but most people who come to this forum aren't enthusiasts, they just want to build a machine with longevity.

I'm not say people shouldn't buy the 5600X, but some people really need to stop going to it as the absolutely default must-pick for every situation with no regard to the context of the build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

I went 5800x because I want a 5 year minimum build that will be my main workstation as well as casual gaming. It was either that or the i7 10700KF. 8 Cores were a factor for me, as shallow as that sounds I feel it's slowly becoming the new ubiquitous minimum (Like the dual core used to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SilentBee

Been using my laptop for 3 months as my main PC since the old Intel 6700k system went kboom. Probably go for the 5800x. Been watching reviews on youtube and it looks really good. Just need to find stock online and pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I have the 3700 so I'm good for now. I think though if I'm honest I'll pick up a 3800x, but I'm in no rush.

What's the story with coolers? Can we use the coolers that came with the 3600/3700/3900?

Yeah they have the same AM4 mount as the last gen CPU. You'll just need to grab new thermal paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Talking about scan i see they have got this weeks shipment in of 5600x's and they only got 30...poor people in that queue will be waiting forever

They said AMD told them there's plenty of stock coming!:rolleyes:

30 5600x and nothing of anything else. Another Nvidia effort this. Probably the same for the GPU launch too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They were saying 20th and 30th for deliveries previously, I wasn't really expecting any movement for week 2.

In case anyone want's to try and track the changing number here's an article with the original number https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/146755-amd-ryzen-5000-lots-stock-way-next-fortnight-says-retailer/#
    Here's hoping everybody who's left the queue is ahead of me :D

Advertisement