Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Expenses from last year I assume Cathal McInerney is talking about - sure maybe Lohan will sort him out like the hotel.

I wonder what expenses he's talking about and what reason was given for them not being paid, in work I've to justify my expenses when claiming them back and from time to time they aren't paid, I'm sure that's the same with the county players. The GPA negotiated well on behalf of the players and if there was any problem with payments I'm sure they'd be all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭letowski

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm going to reply twice to the twitter "storm" that Derrick Lynch raised because I think it raises concerns with his journalistic style and shows how a lot of the stuff in the media is being portraited.

Looking at what was said above what could be redacted or apologised for or what was incorrect?

I think those remarks are very unsavoury by the treasurer to be honest. Niall O'Connor went out of his way to raise funds for the U20 hurlers and the treasurer went on a full blown character assassination at the meeting. And also questioning his motives for the betterment of Clare GAA when it was Niall O'Connor himself, who organised those top class professionals to form the review committee to help improve Clare GAA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Absolutely the most important job is fixing the issues at a board level but that is NOT Lohan's job, his job is to prepare the Clare Senior Hurlers as best as he can to win matches and I fear that he isn't concentrating on this which will mean that our decline will only happen faster. If he is not getting the support he wants/demands to prepare the players then let him air those issues but I'm not hearing of the senior players wanting for anything.

Wanting for stuff?

How about not having to travel to UL and train at 9 or 10 at night because 4.5M was pumped into a bog
    How about having a state of the art gym
    How about not having to turn up for training last winter and the club not being told they were coming and no one around to turn on the floodlights
    It goes on and on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Keano wrote: »
    Wanting for stuff?

How about not having to travel to UL and train at 9 or 10 at night because 4.5M was pumped into a bog
    How about having a state of the art gym
    How about not having to turn up for training last winter and the club not being told they were coming and no one around to turn on the floodlights
    It goes on and on

All that comes back to Caherlohan not being up to spec. In the interest in debate however I would argue that UL would be closer/more convenient for a lot of the team. Most gym programmes are done individually now and different types of gyms will be needed at different times, I'd also say that the lack of a swimming pool would be anther gap. In regards to the club not being told, surely that's a failure of management not of the board.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

All that comes back to Caherlohan not being up to spec. In the interest in debate however I would argue that UL would be closer/more convenient for a lot of the team. Most gym programmes are done individually now and different types of gyms will be needed at different times, I'd also say that the lack of a swimming pool would be anther gap. In regards to the club not being told, surely that's a failure of management not of the board.
    It's a failure for anyone who puts on a jersey for Clare.
    Nope, requests for a field typically go through the county board. They pay the bills after all.

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »
    I think those remarks are very unsavoury by the treasurer to be honest. Niall O'Connor went out of his way to raise funds for the U20 hurlers and the treasurer went on a full blown character assassination at the meeting. And also questioning his motives for the betterment of Clare GAA when it was Niall O'Connor himself, who organised those top class professionals to form the review committee to help improve Clare GAA.

Unsavoury and undignified but it is also the only arena for the treasurer to raise questions, was he to just say nothing or is he allowed get his questions aired? Niall O'Connor has quite the history with the county board, is well versed in social media to get his opinions out and is working as a sales man for a local paper so I'm not surprised there's a bit of pushback what does surprise me is that the pushback is being done in public now rather than behind the scenes like was done in the past.

Keano wrote: »
    It's a failure for anyone who puts on a jersey for Clare.
    Nope, requests for a field typically go through the county board. They pay the bills after all.

When I've been involved in teams the normal process for booking fields is that a confirmation is received before the team turns up for the session, especially if it's a once off or initial session.

Unsavoury and undignified but it is also the only arena for the treasurer to raise questions, was he to just say nothing or is he allowed get his questions aired? Niall O'Connor has quite the history with the county board, is well versed in social media to get his opinions out and is working as a sales man for a local paper so I'm not surprised there's a bit of pushback what does surprise me is that the pushback is being done in public now rather than behind the scenes like was done in the past.

What questions does MG need to be aired about NOC though? I don't understand what you mean by this.

NOC motives? It doesn't matter what they are, and anyway he is not going to just say yeah I did it to embarrass the CCB. The only issue that matters here is the welfare of the u20 players, not NOC's motives or MG's personal pride.

And it didn't have to be unsavoury, NOC did nothing to MG. The Clare County Board haven't raised a cent this year and are in deep trouble fiscally. They ought not to disparage locals willing to raise funds for the teams.

This is excellent, the Clare County Board have come out in favour of Brian Lohan. Good stuff from PRO Michael O'Connor and some important questions raised;

The HSE designated the Clare players as close contacts which is their function and was never disputed. The issue is how they were identified as close contacts. The HSE in the Mid-West region were informed by the contact tracing team in relation to the decision that was made. Brian Lohan as manager of the Clare Team contacted the HSE locally when he was informed of the identification of 2 senior hurlers as close contacts. The HSE informed Brian Lohan that 2 players were identified on foot of discussions between the contact tracing team of the HSE and the Wexford players involved who were positive cases.

The HSE did confirm that for one of the players, they were identified, not by name but were identified by the colour of their helmet. This has led to two players having to self-isolate and if this process continues without clear clarification regarding Close and Casual contact from Croke Park it will have ramifications for the season ahead for club and county games.

Here below is the segment taken from the Covid-19: Return to Training and Play Guidelines for Inter County Teams regarding close contacts v casual contacts.
    Potential ‘Close’ Contact scenarios

The following scenarios require careful planning and the implementation of strict control
    measures by those involved with inter county panels.
    • Use of a Gym or other indoor training facility.
    • Use of dressing rooms (including showers)
    • Pre and Post match/training meals
    • Meetings for tactical analysis or game preparation.
    • Collectively travelling to and from games/training.
    • Overnight accommodation

None of the above refer to on-field playing activity.

Brian Lohan stands by his comments made last Sunday in relation to the incident and there remains much disappointment and frustration in our county in relation to why the Clare players were identified. We have already made representations to Croke Park on this player welfare issue, and we will be making further representation through the GPA.

To conclude, Clare GAA stand fully by the comments issued by the Clare senior hurling manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

^^^^ That's a strong, clear well written statement clearly backing Lohan and his panel. About time for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

This is just so bizarre. Absolute horse **** and finally Lohan gets some backing. The cases could have huge consequences going forward so everything needs to be clarified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

letowski wrote: »

Brian Lohan stands by his comments made last Sunday in relation to the incident and there remains much disappointment and frustration in our county in relation to why the Clare players were identified. We have already made representations to Croke Park on this player welfare issue, and we will be making further representation through the GPA.

To conclude, Clare GAA stand fully by the comments issued by the Clare senior hurling manager.

About time.

Now, we need to know from those two players, was it of their own volition to single out two Clare players.

Wexford board and management and (it looks like) team thought they could hide behind the patient's right to privacy. But that has crumbled.

Someone is lying and it's not Brian Lohan.

The HSE is famous for ridiculous mistakes so maybe I'm wrong on the above. But why did Wexford come out so forcefully against Brian Lohan? Why did it take the clare county board so long to back him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

Even says someone was identified by helmet colour is bizarre. Surely that alone could mean an incorrect person identified, it's hardly the most concrete method seeing as many players have similar helmets

The helmet colour thing is very strange, there aren't that many different colours in use so how they can limit it to just 2 I don't know.

Seems as wishy washy as hell. This all reads like a panicked cover up. Lying on the hoof.

Just tell them you said a helmet colour and no names.

It'll be interesting to see if Wexford come out and say they were wrong to say that Lohan was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

When news broke last week about the two Clare players, Croke Park should have been contacted by the Clare County Board. When that didn't happen, Croke Park should have intervened and not sit back, like they did, and watch the two players been hung out to dry. Wexford announced during last week that their match with Kilkenny was going ahead. On Saturday Wexford announced that the game was been postponed.

There was still no announcement from Croke Park. It took them until late Monday to publicly address the issue. Meanwhile the matter had gotten very messy over the weekend while headquarters were off for the weekend.

Are we to understand now that the issue is over with? Well, Croke Park still have to address how two opponent players could be classed as close contacts. Otherwise they will have set a precedent. They must also address why there were no close contacts from Wexford. And did they just go ahead with training last week until the third case arose. Also, did Wexford adhere to covid protocols in relation to travelling to the Clare match, use of dressing rooms and numbers in attendance. The Clare County Board should also clarify numbers allowed in and use of dressing rooms.

If the GAA do not address these issues and make a public statement on it, we're into very serious territory in the weeks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I am not from either county.

But I think Wexford need to make further statements, because they have not cleared up anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Figerty

The helmet colour thing is very strange, there aren't that many different colours in use so how they can limit it to just 2 I don't know.

and that covers Wexford.. we did not name players.. no but you said player X number with a Y Colour helmet..

Just as well it wasn't at the game in boston where they all wore the same colour helments!

Something just doesn't add up for me in all this, assuming that the facts are
    Players identified as Covid positive on Wednesday the 19th (source)
    2 days later, the 21st. 2 members of the Clare panel identified as close contacts source
    Sunday the 23rd, Clare manager accuses Wexford player of identifying Clare players as close contacts.
    Monday the 24th, Wexford deny that any member of Wexford GAA nominated Clare players as close contacts. source
    Monday the 24th, Clare GAA make a statement saying that Clare GAA teams always follow the guidelines specified by the HSE and the GAA. source
    Tuesday the 25th, Clare GAA make a statement standing by the comments made by Brian Lohan and that 1 of the players were identified based on the colour of their helmet. source

A few things don't add up for me, first off is that the HSE is in the middle of a major IT crisis where GPs can't update their covid vaccines but the HSE South East and the HSE Mid-West can be in good enough contact to be able to identify players by the colour of the helmet in a match played at least 2 days before hand (probably 3 days). Next thing that doesn't add up is that a big part of the whole contact tracing procedure is "Contact tracing is confidential. Anyone a contact tracer calls will not know it was you who gave them their contact details."source, all these press releases are in complete contradiction of this. Finally, and probably the biggest thing for me, is that "Brian Lohan as manager of the Clare Team contacted the HSE locally when he was informed of the identification of 2 senior hurlers as close contacts." surely that's in breach of all kind of data protection guidelines and would probably be a sackable offence for someone in the HSE, the further statement of "The HSE informed Brian Lohan that 2 players were identified on foot of discussions between the contact tracing team of the HSE and the Wexford players involved who were positive cases." this suggests that the HSE is giving Lohan information of Wexford players as well. Having a manager of a sporting team getting confidential information from the HSE in the middle of a IT crisis during a pandemic where every mis-step by the HSE is headline news is a massive story and should result in people losing their job

• Advertisement

Further to this, according to the government contact tracing will ask for "The contact tracing centre caller will confirm the person’s name, ask for their address, ask about symptoms, and the name and phone numbers of people they have been in contact with if relevant."source, it doesn't mention colour of helmet as a contact tracing question, it just doesn't add up for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Further to this, according to the government contact tracing will ask for "The contact tracing centre caller will confirm the person’s name, ask for their address, ask about symptoms, and the name and phone numbers of people they have been in contact with if relevant."source, it doesn't mention colour of helmet as a contact tracing question, it just doesn't add up for me

Newstalk's Off The Ball was good this evening. Wexford really are talking a load of bollox and I don't often offer an opinion..

Someone somewhere is telling porkies and I really hope that it comes out who

Something just doesn't add up for me in all this, assuming that the facts are
    Players identified as Covid positive on Wednesday the 19th (source)
    2 days later, the 21st. 2 members of the Clare panel identified as close contacts source
    Sunday the 23rd, Clare manager accuses Wexford player of identifying Clare players as close contacts.
    Monday the 24th, Wexford deny that any member of Wexford GAA nominated Clare players as close contacts. source
    Monday the 24th, Clare GAA make a statement saying that Clare GAA teams always follow the guidelines specified by the HSE and the GAA. source
    Tuesday the 25th, Clare GAA make a statement standing by the comments made by Brian Lohan and that 1 of the players were identified based on the colour of their helmet. source

A few things don't add up for me, first off is that the HSE is in the middle of a major IT crisis where GPs can't update their covid vaccines but the HSE South East and the HSE Mid-West can be in good enough contact to be able to identify players by the colour of the helmet in a match played at least 2 days before hand (probably 3 days). Next thing that doesn't add up is that a big part of the whole contact tracing procedure is "Contact tracing is confidential. Anyone a contact tracer calls will not know it was you who gave them their contact details."source, all these press releases are in complete contradiction of this. Finally, and probably the biggest thing for me, is that "Brian Lohan as manager of the Clare Team contacted the HSE locally when he was informed of the identification of 2 senior hurlers as close contacts." surely that's in breach of all kind of data protection guidelines and would probably be a sackable offence for someone in the HSE, the further statement of "The HSE informed Brian Lohan that 2 players were identified on foot of discussions between the contact tracing team of the HSE and the Wexford players involved who were positive cases." this suggests that the HSE is giving Lohan information of Wexford players as well. Having a manager of a sporting team getting confidential information from the HSE in the middle of a IT crisis during a pandemic where every mis-step by the HSE is headline news is a massive story and should result in people losing their job

I could be mistaken, but did I not read that Brian Lohan WAS contacted by the HSA as clare Manager. Not Brian Lohan contaced the HSE. Bit of a difference there.

Figerty wrote: »
    I could be mistaken, but did I not read that Brian Lohan WAS contacted by the HSA as clare Manager. Not Brian Lohan contaced the HSE. Bit of a difference there.

I'm reading the statement from Clare GAA that it was Brian Lohan that contacted the HSE as part of his role as Clare manager
    Brian Lohan as manager of the Clare Team contacted the HSE locally
    at which point he was given the information
    when he was informed of the identification of 2 senior hurlers as close contacts.
    as well as who named the Clare lads as close contacts
    The HSE informed Brian Lohan that 2 players were identified on foot of discussions between the contact tracing team of the HSE and the Wexford players involved who were positive cases.
    as well as the HSE confirming that the person was identified by their helmet not their name/number
    The HSE did confirm that for one of the players, they were identified, not by name but were identified by the colour of their helmet.

Meanwhile, the Paul Galvin stories fall by the wayside...

I'm reading the statement from Clare GAA that it was Brian Lohan that contacted the HSE as part of his role as Clare manager
    at which point he was given the information as well as who named the Clare lads as close contacts as well as the HSE confirming that the person was identified by their helmet not their name/number

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/clare-gaa-stand-fully-behind-comments-of-banner-hurlingboss-brian-lohan-over-recent-covid-case-in-wexford-40467826.html

The Clare county board have come out publicly in support of Brian Lohan over his comments regarding the recent Covid-19 case in the Wexford squad.

On Sunday, Lohan claimed that their camp had been “contacted by the HSE to say that two of the Wexford players had nominated two of our players as close contacts,” following the Division 1B clash between Clare and Wexford in Ennis a week previous.

It's small difference but an important one.

Figerty wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/clare-gaa-stand-fully-behind-comments-of-banner-hurlingboss-brian-lohan-over-recent-covid-case-in-wexford-40467826.html

The Clare county board have come out publicly in support of Brian Lohan over his comments regarding the recent Covid-19 case in the Wexford squad.

On Sunday, Lohan claimed that their camp had been “contacted by the HSE to say that two of the Wexford players had nominated two of our players as close contacts,” following the Division 1B clash between Clare and Wexford in Ennis a week previous.

It's small difference but an important one.

Its a huge difference, Lohan said he was contacted but Clare GAA is saying that he contacted them, that article you quoted even says "“Brian Lohan as manager of the Clare Team contacted the HSE locally"

I can't find Sundays interview with Lohan to hear exactly what he said. As I said this doesn't add up for me, the allegation here by Clare is that the Wexford players nominated the Clare players as close contacts in order to disrupt Clare, if this is true it brings the integrity of Wexford GAA into question and needs to be answered, there's been enough wink & nod & "sure its only hurling", this is alleging that Wexford GAA are manipulating a pandemic for their ends which is fraud, as someone mentioned 2 players have been impacted outside of hurling by this and deserve answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Jaysus, Clare Gaa are in the middle of all the news ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40298120.html

Mr Gallagher doesnt come out of it well....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

In what will surprise absolutely nobody, the HSE has told Clare FM that no video footage was viewed by the HSE of the match.

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/1397524179906273282

I think Wexford need to clarify who supplied the names (or in one case the helmet colour) to the HSE, because its simply clear that the HSE did not designate those 2 players as close contacts by themselves.

Advertisement