Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

https://twitter.com/dlynchsport/status/1396905093446897664?s=21

Not sure our county board can get any more embarrassing. Complete and utter laughing stock. How are the clubs not challenging them.

Any chance this will get serious air time on Clare FM? Maybe Front page of the champion? No No... din't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Any chance this will get serious air time on Clare FM? Maybe Front page of the champion? No No... din't think so

Clare champion 'leading by the odd point in three' cliche journalism?? Not a chance. They ceased to be an investigative paper years ago.. Well, they neve were I suppose. More interested in birth deaths, and rememberances.
    Has the Clare Champion ever broken a story of significance? I can't recall they doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well the report was from Derrick lynch and pretty sure he is with both of those media outlets. Whether that means it should be first thing on the news is another story.

Pretty sure this county board needs more than just the average local journalist to investigate them. I’d say Paul Kimmage would have a field day at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Gael85

Well the report was from Derrick lynch and pretty sure he is with both of those media outlets. Whether that means it should be first thing on the news is another story.

Pretty sure this county board needs more than just the average local journalist to investigate them. I’d say Paul Kimmage would have a field day at this stage.

Lynch gone from champion. Eoin Brennan is his replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

Just another week of the executive making absolute eejits out of themselves.

https://twitter.com/dlynchsport/status/1396912306974597130?s=21

I wonder what will be the story next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

It's getting more and more toxic by the year. But since Lohan got the job, the drive to oust him from within is unbelievable really. It will all come to a head shortly. Can't keep going this way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've no interest in the ****show which is the county board, there is a clear effort to oust the top table that it'll be interesting to see what happens, it'll be interesting to see who's left when this all finishes.

I'm much more interested in the master list of fixtures that's been approved, very interesting setup with a lot of games of all clubs

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/1396894400588963847?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

https://twitter.com/cathalmci/status/1396938493943853065?s=21

**** show after ****show. Making the cork county board under frank Murphy look incredible

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men." - Cool Hand Luke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So 2 county boards and Croke Park say that it was the HSE was responsible for declaring the close contacts that should be the end of it, ideally Lohan would come out on recant his statement the same as Kiley did last week, or at least leave it be and let that be the end of it.

https://twitter.com/cathalmci/status/1396938493943853065?s=21

**** show after ****show. Making the cork county board under frank Murphy look incredible

Expenses are always a nightmare for teams but I'd like to know more about players not being paid expenses, especially former players who should be all finished now and shouldn't be owed anything. I wouldn't be surprised if all expenses are layered in red tape at this stage as Clare's typical way of dealing things are to go too far the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

Clareman wrote: »
    So 2 county boards and Croke Park say that it was the HSE was responsible for declaring the close contacts that should be the end of it, ideally Lohan would come out on recant his statement the same as Kiley did last week, or at least leave it be and let that be the end of it.

He most certainly should not. The whole thing facking stinks to high heaven. We still do not have an answer to why two Clare players were deemed close contacts straight away and yet the entire Wexford panel was deemed all grand (except the two positive cases) right up until a 3rd positive case was found.

Some serious b0lloxing has gone on here and we still don't know who's behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

BnB wrote: »
    He most certainly should not. The whole thing facking stinks to high heaven. We still do not have an answer to why two Clare players were deemed close contacts straight away and yet the entire Wexford panel was deemed all grand (except the two positive cases) right up until a 3rd positive case was found.

Some serious b0lloxing has gone on here and we still don't know who's behind it.
    any wexford player who was in the dressing room was deemed a close contact and is currently isolating, its in the independent article i shared this morning.

any wexford player who was in the dressing room was deemed a close contact and is currently isolating, its in the independent article i shared this morning.

Why did that take so long to come out? Why were KK left out of the loop so long?

formerlyET wrote: »
    Why did that take so long to come out? Why were KK left out of the loop so long?
    yeah the whole thing is very strange, the whole Wexford panel got tested last Tuesday after they became aware of 2 cases in the camp, these all showed up negative, they all got tested Friday once again and got the results Saturday morning or lunchtime which showed the 1 additional case and when the kilkenny game got postponed, maybe at this point they were deemed close contacts, all very convoluted.

From the article, it is quite clear that initially no Wexford players were deemed close contacts while 2 Clare players were.

The Wexford squad are locked down now after a 3rd case was found and the initial story broke in the media.

It's very important both for the Gaa and for the HSE that they get to the bottom of whatever b0lloxing went on. Sweeping it under the carpet now is not good for either of them.

From the article, it is quite clear that initially no Wexford players were deemed close contacts while 2 Clare players were.

The Wexford squad are locked down now after a 3rd case was found and the initial story broke in the media.

It's very important both for the Gaa and for the HSE that they get to the bottom of whatever b0lloxing went on. Sweeping it under the carpet now is not good for either of them.
    HSE determined who are the close contacts from the teams so that where the merited questions should be aimed.BTW I think the 2 clare players been close contacts is a nonsense too.

I do think having only 2 players a close contact is a joke BUT we don't know the full story, like did they share a water bottle? Did they swop jerseys? Did they do something else that the HSE would deem a close contact? After a year of rugby and LoI as well as a lot of intercounty GAA this is the first case of opposition players been forced to isolate as far as I'm aware so I'm sure there's a lot of protections and protocols in place so I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make and I'd hope that it's not possible for an opposition manager to dictate what players are to be forced to isolate as this wouldn't just be a GAA issue it would affect every sport, for example what would stop a LoI manager getting the star players of their closest opponents removed from the next 2 league games?

I do think having only 2 players a close contact is a joke BUT we don't know the full story, like did they share a water bottle? Did they swop jerseys? Did they do something else that the HSE would deem a close contact? After a year of rugby and LoI as well as a lot of intercounty GAA this is the first case of opposition players been forced to isolate as far as I'm aware so I'm sure there's a lot of protections and protocols in place so I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make and I'd hope that it's not possible for an opposition manager to dictate what players are to be forced to isolate as this wouldn't just be a GAA issue it would affect every sport, for example what would stop a LoI manager getting the star players of their closest opponents removed from the next 2 league games?
    yeah the only other bizarre scenario was the Offaly hurlers last year when 27 of their players was deemed close contacts of 1 positive case in the panel, they said they did everything by procedure to keep lads a casual rather than close contact.

• Advertisement

I just think we're being blinded by the Fitzs at the moment, if this was any other county I don't think there'd have been anything said about it. I'd like to just move on from it now and concentrate on the pitch but that doesn't seem to be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I think we do need answers, maybe the GAA should be discussing with the HSE to better understand, and avoid this in future.

Lohan himself is right to air the panel’s grievances, and successfully drew attention to this, but it’s not for him to push any further.

At the end of the day, you’d have more sympathy for Wexford who had actual confirmed cases and a game postponed. And now the whole panel in isolation. Hope the lads can recover ok and the outbreak is controlled.

Unfortunate for the two Clare lads, but the main thing is they are healthy and tested negative so can play v Dublin.

I'd like to just move on from it now and concentrate on the pitch but that doesn't seem to be possible.

I would agree with that, especially for Lohan. If he had a Co Board who actually backed him (imagine that) then they would have told him you ignore this Brian and we'll look after it and they would have come out batting for him. Instead they came out with a wishy washy p1ss poor statement, did nothing before or since and had the absolute audacity to claim last night that they knew nothing about it until Sunday night....!!!!!! They should hang their heads in shame for not backing Lohan and his panel to the hilt.

It is a really unfortunate situation to be in, and I even hate saying it, but the most important job in Clare Gaa righ now is exposing the county board for the toxic cess pool that it is because ultimately, Clare hurling can never move forward until that problem is solved.

I think we do need answers, maybe the GAA should be discussing with the HSE to better understand, and avoid this in future.

Lohan himself is right to air the panel’s grievances, and successfully drew attention to this, but it’s not for him to push any further.

At the end of the day, you’d have more sympathy for Wexford who had actual confirmed cases and a game postponed. And now the whole panel in isolation. Hope the lads can recover ok and the outbreak is controlled.

Unfortunate for the two Clare lads, but the main thing is they are healthy and tested negative so can play v Dublin.

The GAA have said that they are happy with the HSE's handling of it, why should they do anymore?
    The GAA’s director of club, games and player welfare, Fergal McGill, told the Irish Independent that the “assessment of the two Clare players as close contacts would have been based on a decision by the Midwest HSE”.

He added: “We respect their right to do that.”

Lohan has the right to raise a grievance, as everyone does, but the GAA, Wexford County Board and the Clare County Board have all said it was up to the HSE to make the call, Lohan has blamed Wexford.

I would agree with that, especially for Lohan. If he had a Co Board who actually backed him (imagine that) then they would have told him you ignore this Brian and we'll look after it and they would have come out batting for him. Instead they came out with a wishy washy p1ss poor statement, did nothing before or since and had the absolute audacity to claim last night that they knew nothing about it until Sunday night....!!!!!! They should hang their heads in shame for not backing Lohan and his panel to the hilt.

It is a really unfortunate situation to be in, and I even hate saying it, but the most important job in Clare Gaa righ now is exposing the county board for the toxic cess pool that it is because ultimately, Clare hurling can never move forward until that problem is solved.

Absolutely the most important job is fixing the issues at a board level but that is NOT Lohan's job, his job is to prepare the Clare Senior Hurlers as best as he can to win matches and I fear that he isn't concentrating on this which will mean that our decline will only happen faster. If he is not getting the support he wants/demands to prepare the players then let him air those issues but I'm not hearing of the senior players wanting for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

Apart from expenses but sure let's concentrate on the hurling and eat ****.

Apart from expenses but sure let's concentrate on the hurling and eat ****.

Expenses are always a pain for every team, often there's a senior group of players who look after that and bring complaints to management, I might be naive but considering that the players are only back training a month I can't imagine there being much of an expenses issue at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

Expenses from last year I assume Cathal McInerney is talking about - sure maybe Lohan will sort him out like the hotel.

I'm going to reply twice to the twitter "storm" that Derrick Lynch raised because I think it raises concerns with his journalistic style and shows how a lot of the stuff in the media is being portraited.

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1396912306974597130?s=20

The Clare Echo has up what I can only assume is an accurate quoting of what was said
    Gallagher continued, “personally I’d like to thank Niall O’Connor. I didn’t realise that he had taken it on himself to do this. Fair play to him for raising €4,000.00 and personally I’d like to thank him for that but I would have to ask ye, delegates, what was his motive for that. Was it for the good of the under 20 hurlers or was it to embarrass the county board. That’s the question I am going to pose tonight. Is this the same Niall O’Connor who embarrassed the County Board down in Thurles where his father and the manager had to go back and apologise to the Clare County Board. Is that the same Niall O’Connor we are talking about here. Niall O’Connor never rang me as county treasurer and we could have spoken about it. He went off on a solo run. Is this the same Niall O’Connor who was brought on by the county minor manager as a selector and for some reason best known to himself, left for no reason. The delegates can make their own mind up about this”.

Looking at what was said above what could be redacted or apologised for or what was incorrect?

Personally I think it's a disgrace that anyone thinks that it's good enough to only have hot food "3 weeks before championship" but surely it's up to the manager of the team to have that all in place before everything starts? All things training should be managed properly and if the manager feels the need to engage a salesman of a local paper to feed the team then that's a disgrace but surely the county board should be given the right to reply as well?

• Advertisement

Expenses from last year I assume Cathal McInerney is talking about - sure maybe Lohan will sort him out like the hotel.

That whole hotel story still annoys me and I'd love to know more about it, the team went down to Wexford for a match, stayed over night, everything paid for and then went for lunch only to discover that lunch was never discussed with the county board, at which point Lohan paid for it himself (and got the money back). How was the county board to know where/when to book lunch for? Surely the manager should have had that organised in advance of the match, for example if Wexford were coming to Ennis you'd assume that the locations for meals would be decided on by the team management rather than the county board.

Advertisement