Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Thats what I thought. Things are heating up abit too much for Davy. If the digging keeps going on then the bodies are going to be popping up. He asked the media to lay off ..I noted he left Clare out if it completely..Hes really trying to dampen it all down.

I heard on the grapevine who the two players that were named. I'm not going any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The ever green David Tubridy was impressive yesterday as he hit 1-8 for Clare. .

14 years after making his senior debut in Tommy Murphy when Clare were a Division 4 team, he'll have shot at sending them to Division 1 in a fortnight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0530/1224915-fitzgerald-questions-media-over-close-contacts-issue/

So Davy is happy to speak to the press when it suits him but when the questions become awkward for him then they should stop looking into things..........

Clareman wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0530/1224915-fitzgerald-questions-media-over-close-contacts-issue/

So Davy is happy to speak to the press when it suits him but when the questions become awkward for him then they should stop looking into things..........

Yep.
    This backfired massively.
    Supporters club money question hasn't gone away either.

The problem is that Brian Lohan has had to deal with all this stuff and it's not helping Clare's cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

The Éire Óg club last night revealed the contents of the e-mail which was sent to their club secretary Paddy Smyth from Mr. Gallagher.

“Paddy, A Chara

In response to your letter re. my comments directed at Niall O’Connor at last Monday nights (24/05) Co Board Meeting, I would like to say, on reflection, I can see how my comments were hurtful and embarrassing to Niall and, I wish to offer my apologies directly to Niall for those comments. I don’t intend to try to explain or offer excuses for making those comments, because I don’t think that would be helpful either. As you know, I have enjoyed a long and friendly relationship with your Club, for nearly 20 years, through our joint promotion of an underage football tournament (which is dear to my heart). I don’t wish to see anything divert us from maintaining and furthering those friendships.

Regards, Michael”

The Éire Óg club then issued a statement on behalf of their club man. “Niall O’ Connor welcomes the apology from Michael Gallagher and accepts it in a spirit of reconciliation and for the greater good of Clare GAA. Niall also wishes to acknowledge that, in hindsight, it would have been appropriate that the Co. Treasurer was involved in any fundraising initiatives. In view of the above, we now consider this matter closed and we wish to move on in a spirit of harmony, for the betterment of Clare GAA.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Gael85

Figerty wrote: »
    Yep.
    This backfired massively.
    Supporters club money question hasn't gone away either.

The problem is that Brian Lohan has had to deal with all this stuff and it's not helping Clare's cause.

What the latest on supporters club money? It this been investigated by Croke Park?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gael85 wrote: »
    What the latest on supporters club money? It this been investigated by Croke Park?

The latest is no-one is looking into it, the supporters club wasn't under the remit of the county board and at the time there was no rule from Croke Park that said it should be so its being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

KIB4Life wrote: »

I think we need to sort out our kickouts and kick out strategy really struggling with kickouts. A lot of Stephen Ryan’s kickouts seem to hang in the air, which is more suited for the opposition player to get a run on the ball. Our lockout problems was the reason why we lost the game as we struggled at times to gain possession in midfield and it’s something that we need to address and if we can address we can be a match for any team on our day.

Have to say as a neutral watching it I thought Ryan's kickouts were very good, just checked the stats as well and Clare went long with 18 kickouts and won 10 of them, that's more than acceptable - Cork pushed up and forced Clare to go long thus the high number of long ones.

In contrast Cork went long with 9 Kickouts and Clare won 4 of those.

The latest is no-one is looking into it, the supporters club wasn't under the remit of the county board and at the time there was no rule from Croke Park that said it should be so its being ignored.

I'll ask Davy the next time I see him,, as should everyone...

I'll ask Davy the next time I see him,, as should everyone...

He'll be accusing you of being a bully

https://www.the42.ie/davy-fitzgerald-abused-5267105-Nov2020/

• Advertisement

Madness. The covid incident has probably deflected the supporter club issue.

Madness. The covid incident has probably deflected the supporter club issue.

There's so much ****e going on it's hard to keep track of it all, we're still waiting to get the feedback from the 5 year plan as well

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clare v Mayo 1.45pm Ennis 13th June, live on TG4
    Pity there's no crowd, Mayo supporters travel in big numbers everywhere.
    Eamon Fitzmaurice did a good analysis piece on yesterdays game in the Examiner today, knowledgeable and no bluffing.
    The amount of lads in the GAA media that haven't a clue about what they are paid to comment on is frightening. It's been trotted out in the last week that Clare draw Kerry every year in the championship and its so tough on them, no mention of last year of Clare getting a very favourable draw and losing to Tipp after a brutal performance and some questionable selection decisions. Look I think Colm Collins is Clare's best ever manager but that's not to say he can't be criticised.
    It's painful to hear the amazement in the national media when Clare win a couple of games in divison 2 despite the fact that they have been operating there for five years

Very good campaign from the footballers overall. Thought could have pushed more for the win yesterday, referee done them few favours with Cork persistent fouling. Daniel Walsh at wing back was a great find. Darragh Bohannon got better as the games went on. Still over reliant on Cleary and Tubridy for scores. Keelan Sexton was taken off early in first two games. Joe McGann and Gavin Cooney are good footballers but don't have the power to beat their man. Hopefully Jamie Malone will be back the next day. Is Dermot Coughlan injured? Why is Ciaran Morrissey not getting a run out?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

Great achievement to secure div 2 status again, beating Kildare in Newbridge for the first time was impressive also. Jack O Connor had a bit of a snipe yesterday saying that the tight confines of Newbridge don't suit Kildare and it suited Clare's defensive style against them, poor old Jack the all Ireland winning manager can't stomach losing 2 years in a row to Collins.
    It will be a great experience and great for the development of the younger players to have a knockout game against Mayo who are possibly the second best team in the country. It's a free hit because div 2 football is secured and they can give it a right lash, its also great preparation for the Kerry game.
    Clare all things considered are punching above their weight challenging for promotion and will be massive underdogs in their upcoming matches but it must be great for the squad to have such games to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

Very good campaign from the footballers overall. Thought could have pushed more for the win yesterday, referee done them few favours with Cork persistent fouling. Daniel Walsh at wing back was a great find. Darragh Bohannon got better as the games went on. Still over reliant on Cleary and Tubridy for scores. Keelan Sexton was taken off early in first two games. Joe McGann and Gavin Cooney are good footballers but don't have the power to beat their man. Hopefully Jamie Malone will be back the next day. Is Dermot Coughlan injured? Why is Ciaran Morrissey not getting a run out?

Dermot Coughlan done his cruciate last October so probably won’t feature for Clare this year, unless we cause a shock and beat Kerry. Colm Collins was fairly hopeful in his post match interview yesterday that both Jamie Malone and Podge will be back in contention for the Mayo game in two weeks time.

If Malone was fit the next day I would like to see him tried at full forward as he would be a different option to have inside or else play Malone around the middle or in the half forward line and put Darren O’Neill in full forward for a period of time and have either McGann or Cooney playing off him. Aaron Griffin put his hand up for inclusion yesterday with his performance off the bench and he showed that he has the strength to take on and beat his man.

Not sure why Ciarán Morrissey isn’t getting a run in any game was dropped from the bench yesterday with Conall O’hAiniféin coming onto the bench in his place, so he must not be producing the goods in training as he has showed in the last two years that he is probably one of the if not the best man marker in the county at club level, and I would definitely rate him as a better player then Alan Sweeney who has seen a lot of game time in the last year.

Clare v Mayo 1.45pm Ennis 13th June, live on TG4
    Pity there's no crowd, Mayo supporters travel in big numbers everywhere.
    Eamon Fitzmaurice did a good analysis piece on yesterdays game in the Examiner today, knowledgeable and no bluffing.
    The amount of lads in the GAA media that haven't a clue about what they are paid to comment on is frightening. It's been trotted out in the last week that Clare draw Kerry every year in the championship and its so tough on them, no mention of last year of Clare getting a very favourable draw and losing to Tipp after a brutal performance and some questionable selection decisions. Look I think Colm Collins is Clare's best ever manager but that's not to say he can't be criticised.
    It's painful to hear the amazement in the national media when Clare win a couple of games in divison 2 despite the fact that they have been operating there for five years

Clare seem to have reached their limit of a solid division 2 team, if they are to kick on they will need a lot of changes but we have the basis to be able to kick on from now

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Dermot Coughlan done his cruciate last October so probably won’t feature for Clare this year, unless we cause a shock and beat Kerry. Colm Collins was fairly hopeful in his post match interview yesterday that both Jamie Malone and Podge will be back in contention for the Mayo game in two weeks time.

If Malone was fit the next day I would like to see him tried at full forward as he would be a different option to have inside or else play Malone around the middle or in the half forward line and put Darren O’Neill in full forward for a period of time and have either McGann or Cooney playing off him. Aaron Griffin put his hand up for inclusion yesterday with his performance off the bench and he showed that he has the strength to take on and beat his man.

Not sure why Ciarán Morrissey isn’t getting a run in any game was dropped from the bench yesterday with Conall O’hAiniféin coming onto the bench in his place, so he must not be producing the goods in training as he has showed in the last two years that he is probably one of the if not the best man marker in the county at club level, and I would definitely rate him as a better player then Alan Sweeney who has seen a lot of game time in the last year.

Very impressed with Aaron Griffin brief appearance. I think Malone would be great option at midfield running onto ball. Darren O'Neill played a couple years in Dublin with Naomh Olaf and playing well up there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

See David Tubridy is now the all time leading scorer in the National Football League with 478 points (22-412).
    Some player.

Does anyone know of any upcoming inter county challenge matches for the following teams. The Clare minor hurlers and footballers and the Clare U20 hurlers and footballers. Really itching to watch some Gaa in the flesh all being good in the coming weeks and months ahead!!

• Advertisement

Seanie McMahon and Jamsie on pods in the last 24hrs hammering the county board. O'Connor says his wife is the accountant of the Club Clare and he can't believe what Lohan has to do himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

formerlyET wrote: »
    Seanie McMahon and Jamsie on pods in the last 24hrs hammering the county board. O'Connor says his wife is the accountant of the Club Clare and he can't believe what Lohan has to do himself.

Which podcasts?

formerlyET wrote: »

I have to say this is really starting to annoy me at this stage, the board has to go, that is clear, there is a 5 year strategic plan coming which should give a clear path in removing the board. O'Connor is saying on 1 hand that all the controversy is a bad thing for Clare hurling but is still going on the airwaves talking about it https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/james-o-connor-wants-new-rules-to-be-given-a-chance-to-bed-in-1.4583657 Going on about what Lohan has to do is a poor reflection on Lohan in my opinion, he's the manager he should be delegating and getting the supports in place, he's in the second year now so everything he wants/needs to have in place should be in place, to say he's running around after things is a poor reflection on his management as much as anything else, outside of him sending 28 emails to Pat Fitz I haven't heard of any issues for him getting what he wanted, even the report about him having to pay for a meal in Wexford, there wasn't any issue with him getting refunded the issue was that it wasn't organised in advance.

We're 3 weeks out from what I think is the most important championship for Clare in a decade, if we get blown out of the water in all our games a lot of the players will walk away, if we put down a good performance this will encourage players to stay on, I honestly think that we've at least an All Ireland semi-final in this panel of players and once you get there anything can happen, I can also see us being well beaten by Waterford and being knocked out early in the play-offs.

I have to say this is really starting to annoy me at this stage, the board has to go, that is clear, there is a 5 year strategic plan coming which should give a clear path in removing the board. O'Connor is saying on 1 hand that all the controversy is a bad thing for Clare hurling but is still going on the airwaves talking about it https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/james-o-connor-wants-new-rules-to-be-given-a-chance-to-bed-in-1.4583657 Going on about what Lohan has to do is a poor reflection on Lohan in my opinion, he's the manager he should be delegating and getting the supports in place, he's in the second year now so everything he wants/needs to have in place should be in place, to say he's running around after things is a poor reflection on his management as much as anything else, outside of him sending 28 emails to Pat Fitz I haven't heard of any issues for him getting what he wanted, even the report about him having to pay for a meal in Wexford, there wasn't any issue with him getting refunded the issue was that it wasn't organised in advance.

We're 3 weeks out from what I think is the most important championship for Clare in a decade, if we get blown out of the water in all our games a lot of the players will walk away, if we put down a good performance this will encourage players to stay on, I honestly think that we've at least an All Ireland semi-final in this panel of players and once you get there anything can happen, I can also see us being well beaten by Waterford and being knocked out early in the play-offs.

Is Brian Lohan being supported properly by the county board? No. Can you blame Brian Lohan for being landed with more work than he shuold be doing.
    Seanie Mc is 100% right on the pod cast. Rather than saying Lohan should delegate, the question has to be why is Brian Lohan doing the nitty gritty.

Napolean said you can only trust your own Generals... who can Brian Lohan trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

I think Lohan is having to do these things because of how badly the board is run. He can't trust them to provide the resources and facilities required to prepare the team properly as we can see by countless example already provided.

Any other intercounty manager contacts the board to arrange what he needs and it is usually provided.

Maybe we need the Clare Senior hurlers to get hammered in the championship for people to see how far behind the rest of Munster we are. Short term success may paper over the cracks.

Is Brian Lohan being supported properly by the county board? No. Can you blame Brian Lohan for being landed with more work than he shuold be doing.
    Seanie Mc is 100% right on the pod cast. Rather than saying Lohan should delegate, the question has to be why is Brian Lohan doing the nitty gritty.

Napolean said you can only trust your own Generals... who can Brian Lohan trust?

There is a balance and I'm not sure we've achieved it, if the county board was to lay on everything as they see fit then I'm sure Lohan would be complaining that he's being undermined or that everything isn't as it should be. Lohan is taking over from a 2 man management team who took over from a dictator with a blank cheque book, it's been almost a decade since the county board had to get involved in running the senior team.

In regards to who Lohan can trust, as I said he's into his second year now, he should have his generals in place

There is a balance and I'm not sure we've achieved it, if the county board was to lay on everything as they see fit then I'm sure Lohan would be complaining that he's being undermined or that everything isn't as it should be. Lohan is taking over from a 2 man management team who took over from a dictator with a blank cheque book, it's been almost a decade since the county board had to get involved in running the senior team.

In regards to who Lohan can trust, as I said he's into his second year now, he should have his generals in place

We know where Pat Fitz stands..
    We know that the Chairman hasn't rocked the boat.
    We know where the Treasurer stands, and he has at least pull back from his position.

So I'm Brian Lohan and I'm sitting in his role, the three most important people can't be trusted. That's a bad place to start from.
    Rathar that feeling that a manager has a County board coming to you saying what we can we do for you, it appears from the outside they are saying what can we 'undo' for you.

I think Lohan is having to do these things because of how badly the board is run. He can't trust them to provide the resources and facilities required to prepare the team properly as we can see by countless example already provided.

Any other intercounty manager contacts the board to arrange what he needs and it is usually provided.

Maybe we need the Clare Senior hurlers to get hammered in the championship for people to see how far behind the rest of Munster we are. Short term success may paper over the cracks.

The issue I have here is I'm not seeing any example of the county board not providing what was being asked for, the sandwiches for the under 20s being an example, the manager asked about them, the treasurer said that that was a once off from Croke Park last year but if they wanted them to let him know and he'd see what he could do. The manager went off then and organised the sandwiches himself, this is because it'd be 100 times easier to arrange something like this yourself than go through the county board BUT the county board should be kept accountable and made organise it not have the cracks papered over. For me in this whole scenario there's 2 failures, 1 by the manager not arranging the food in advance and 2 by not forcing the county board to organise it, if they refused to do it then that should have been made public.

• Advertisement

We know where Pat Fitz stands..
    We know that the Chairman hasn't rocked the boat.
    We know where the Treasurer stands, and he has at least pull back from his position.

So I'm Brian Lohan and I'm sitting in his role, the three most important people can't be trusted. That's a bad place to start from.
    Rathar that feeling that a manager has a County board coming to you saying what we can we do for you, it appears from the outside they are saying what can we 'undo' for you.

For me the failure here is in the County Board Liaison Officer role, in an ideal world there should be someone between Lohan and the County Board that Lohan goes to get whatever he needs, that person then deals with the county board and either gets it or tells Lohan the feedback, they should also be letting Lohan know that if he needs stuff when to ask for it, for example, if they need to arrange food before the Waterford game the request should be in 2 weeks before hand.

In Clare, this role is Pat Fitz, this a complete conflict of interest, I'm sure for Davy this was great as it meant he just had to ask daddy for whatever he wanted but now because there is clear conflict between Fitz and Lohan, Lohan questioning Fitz's loyalty to Clare shows that there is absolutely zero trust and a complete breakdown, the first General Lohan should appoint is someone to work with Fitz but I don't know if that's possible or not (to work with Fitz that is).

Advertisement