Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Stupid from the goalie not getting the ball past the 21, Clare lucky to get a free out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Cork playing store great possession football here

2 points down with 4 minutes injury time, great game of football this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Hon the Banner.

Level, what a great point, 1 minute injury time left

• Advertisement

**** it, Cork with a point

Disappointing to lose but great to get to the playoffs (if they happen) and to stay in division 2

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Clareman wrote: »
    **** it, Cork with a point
    Good game, Clare wasted a few chances and it cost us the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Disappointing to lose but great to get to the playoffs (if they happen) and to stay in division 2

Why would the play offs not happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hard loss to take but great effort. Cork forwards were simply better at taking their points. We ran out of steam at the end also.

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Why would the play offs not happen?

Isn't there something about teams playing the first round of the championship not being involved in the playoffs. I don't think that happens now though, we've to beat Mayo to go up I think

jackboy wrote: »
    Hard loss to take but great effort. Cork forwards were simply better at taking their points. We ran out of steam at the end also.

You'd have thought Cork had the extra man

I think i might have sunstroke, I'm getting everything wrong, looks like we're playing Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

No ye have Mayo in McHale Park as far as I can tell.

Edit: As a non-Clareman I was very frustrated with how injury time played out. The players seemed unaware that 1 more point would have seen ye top the table and face Meath at home for a chance to go to Division 1. The way Clare are playing that would have been a very winnable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭supernova5

Clare just missed a massive opportunity to put themselves in position for promotion,
    playing Meath especially at home or even at a neutral venue would be a winnable game

now I feel Mayo will beat Clare very handily indeed

getting to Division 1 would be great and show real progress but I definitely feel they are not ready for the big step up
    they are reasonably comfortable in Division 2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

DDC1990 wrote: »
    No ye have Mayo in McHale Park as far as I can tell.

Edit: As a non-Clareman I was very frustrated with how injury time played out. The players seemed unaware that 1 more point would have seen ye top the table and face Meath at home for a chance to go to Division 1. The way Clare are playing that would have been a very winnable game.
    Thought that too. There didn't seem to be any urgency from Clare to stop the final Cork attack. Can't see Mayo being troubled but home to Meath would have been 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Isn't there something about teams playing the first round of the championship not being involved in the playoffs. I don't think that happens now though, we've to beat Mayo to go up I think

That's the finals afaik - the semi-finals (play-offs) will all go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

jackboy wrote: »
    Two organisations famous for not getting to the bottom of things.

Why would they bother. Keep the head down and it will blow over. Truth is, outside of Clare GAA, no one cares.

They will if the same thing happens again to their county.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Fine game today, both sides playing open, attacking football and kicking great scores. Could have gone either way.

They knew that they had the semi final place if they kept within 3 of Cork, so if they conceded a goal there at the end they'd have been out, when they went level with a minute to go they should have done better to stop Cork.

• Advertisement

They knew that they had the semi final place if they kept within 3 of Cork, so if they conceded a goal there at the end they'd have been out, when they went level with a minute to go they should have done better to stop Cork.

Yeh, Cork waltzed forward for the winner, and yer man had loads of space, but I suspect Clare where presuming he'd recycle the ball rather than take the point, given they needed a goal at least to go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

I think the venue for both matches is to go to a coin toss

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭supernova5

yes incredibly naive, all experienced, street smart teams would have closed down the attack and run down the clock especially playing 15 against 14 in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

supernova5 wrote: »
    yes incredibly naive, all experienced, street smart teams would have closed down the attack and run down the clock especially playing 15 against 14 in that situation.

Yeah but Cork before that seemed to be trying to play keep ball when they were 2 points ahead when they needed to win by 4 so a strange finish to the game indeed. Nevertheless good to at least consolidate Division 2 status for another year and hopefully they can have a good crack off Mayo, Westmeath gave enough of it to Mayo last week and Westmeath are probably around the same level as ourselves or we are probably a bit better so we might be able to cause some problems but definitely Meath would have been the more favourable draw even though we have struggled against them in the past.

I think we need to sort out our kickouts and kick out strategy really struggling with kickouts. A lot of Stephen Ryan’s kickouts seem to hang in the air, which is more suited for the opposition player to get a run on the ball. Our lockout problems was the reason why we lost the game as we struggled at times to gain possession in midfield and it’s something that we need to address and if we can address we can be a match for any team on our day.

supernova5 wrote: »

Surely Cork were the naive ones here? They were happy to win by one which did nothing for them, when they should have been going for goal.

Clare knew that if they won, drew or lost by less than 4 they were guaranteed a playoff spot, the risk/reward to go from 1 point to 4 down wasn't worth it, probably smart, personally I'd prefer to go for the win but if Meath beat Mayo then we're have won a shot at Mayo, no point in worrying about it, in a way it sums Clare under Collins, great league and then hope the best for the Championship. Looking at the players coming through that's not a bad strategy, it's not too long ago we were celebrating massively winning division 3 now we're touching division 1, I'd have a lot more faith on this team contesting survival in division 1 than the team of 2 years ago being promoted only to go back to division 3 in 2 seasons.

The provincial setup cripples us, there are very few successful dual county setups, Galway and Cork are probably the closest comparison we have and they are far bigger counties than we are, the likes of Tipp can hope to have a success every now and again, if we won Munster last year we'd be a sure division 1 team but unfortunately while we continue to be OK at both then we'll just have to hope to be great at 1 every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Davy's interview says a lot about what is going on.. it's getting a little too close to home for comfort I'd imagine.

Figerty wrote: »
    Davy's interview says a lot about what is going on.. it's getting a little too close to home for comfort I'd imagine.

Can you share a link for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Can you share a link for it?

TV last night. Don't have a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Figerty wrote: »

Thats what I thought. Things are heating up abit too much for Davy. If the digging keeps going on then the bodies are going to be popping up. He asked the media to lay off ..I noted he left Clare out if it completely..Hes really trying to dampen it all down.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement